Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

Default My dilemma with wild rice

I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.

Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
*cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
"cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.

So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Depending on how long it has been expired it is probably safe to eat,
although it might not taste great. If it were me, I would go ahead and
cook it up, let it cool, and then put it out for the birds to enjoy.

mm wrote:
> I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
>
> Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
>
> So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

mm wrote:

> I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
>
> Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
>
> So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

It is likely quite edible, though perhaps not quite as good as it would
have been before the expiry date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
>
> Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
>
> So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

How long is a long time ago? Is there an expiry date on it? I'm
guessing that, especially since it is a semi-prepared product, there's
an expiry date and almost certainly a packing code somewhere on it.
Contact the manufacturer and ask for their recommendation -- who knows,
they might offer a freebie after telling you to chuck this package. My
fi'ty cents worth.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
"mm" > wrote:

> I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
>
> Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
>
> So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

If it's like the precooked wild rice I got at Trader Joe's a while back,
it is to freshly cooked wild rice as cardboard is to, um... freshly
cooked wild rice. IOW, it expired before you bought it.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

isw wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "mm" > wrote:
>
> > I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> > not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
> >
> > Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> > *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> > the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> > "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
> >
> > So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> > was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

> If it's like the precooked wild rice I got at Trader Joe's a while back,
> it is to freshly cooked wild rice as cardboard is to, um... freshly
> cooked wild rice. IOW, it expired before you bought it.

It was from Trader's Joe. I bought it long time ago but it had a long
expiration date, which was the reason I thought that it wsn't cooked.
It became expired recently.

Cooked it and tased preety good by itself as well as eating it with
shredded coconut but it's too big an amount and probably won't taste
good tomorrow. So it "give it to the birds" idea sounds very good.
Didn't think about it.

> Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "mm" > wrote:
>
> > I biught this pacakge of wild rice long time ago, thinking that it was
> > not cooked even though I was puzzled by the way the package looked.
> >
> > Everytime I remembered about it, I had too muchf ood and so I didn't
> > *cook* it. The other day, I took a close look at the pacakged and on
> > the back was "this product is fully cooked'. In fact, on the front was
> > "cook in 2 mins" label in logo style.
> >
> > So, now it is expired and should I still use it? If so, where, how? It
> > was suggested to put in soup but what kind of soppu?

> How long is a long time ago? Is there an expiry date on it? I'm
> guessing that, especially since it is a semi-prepared product, there's
> an expiry date and almost certainly a packing code somewhere on it.
> Contact the manufacturer and ask for their recommendation -- who knows,
> they might offer a freebie after telling you to chuck this package. My
> fi'ty cents worth.

Archeologists digging in Sumerian ruins found old packages of Uncle Ben's
Wild Rice Mix dating back 5,000 years and they were still edible...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Archeologists digging in Sumerian ruins found old packages of Uncle Ben's
> Wild Rice Mix dating back 5,000 years and they were still edible...

Didn't Uncle Ben work for Abel? If so, that rice was already 1,000
years old.

The best wild rice Kokopelli Barbecue 0 10-09-2015 06:53 PM
Wild Rice Mark Thorson General Cooking 16 31-10-2010 07:15 PM
Rec:Wild Rice with Dried Cherries and Scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 08:52 PM
Rec:wild rice with dried cherries and scallions made in a rice cooker hahabogus General Cooking 0 10-07-2007 07:12 PM