Side dish for Prime Rib

Old 13-01-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Side dish for Prime Rib

Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
dish to serve with it. any suggestions??
Thanks
smipam

Old 13-01-2007, 01:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, " said:

Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
dish to serve with it. any suggestions??

My mother used to serve the following mushroom dish with prime rib,
along with baked potatoes. They'd probably go well with any beef
dish -- I still haven't had a chance to make them myself, but I
remember them as being excellent:

Herb Buttered Mushrooms

1 pound fresh white mushrooms
1/4 C. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T. butter
2 T. dry cooking sherry
1 T. snipped fresh basil OR
1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

Clean mushrooms and cut in half. In large skillet, melt butter
over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic, cook until
mushrooms and onion are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in
sherry and spices, cook additional 2-3 minutes or until heated
through. Wonderful with prime rib roast.

--
Jani in WA
Old 13-01-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"daveyj" wrote

I haven't made it from scratch yet, (forgive me), but last time I tried
frozen Szechuan vegetables made by that big green guy. (Or was it that
bird guy)?

I like those, I bought 3 today (on sale, dontcha know). I have that
for lunch now and again. I don't know that I'd have them with prime
rib, myself, I hardly notice anything else when that is on the menu.

nancy

Old 13-01-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" wrote

My mother used to serve the following mushroom dish with prime rib,
along with baked potatoes. They'd probably go well with any beef
dish -- I still haven't had a chance to make them myself, but I
remember them as being excellent:

Herb Buttered Mushrooms

Oh, that would be great!

nancy

Old 13-01-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" said:

"Little Malice" wrote

My mother used to serve the following mushroom dish with prime rib,
along with baked potatoes. They'd probably go well with any beef
dish -- I still haven't had a chance to make them myself, but I
remember them as being excellent:

Herb Buttered Mushrooms

Oh, that would be great!

I've *got* to make them one of these days. But I promised Buddy
we'd try the Tolkien Society's mushrooms first (because they have
bacon in them). Here's that recipe, if anyone is interested -- I'm
going to make them with a dry roasted hunk o' beef sometime next
week:

Mrs M's Bacon and Mushrooms - Tolkien Society

* Button mushrooms - two good handfuls sliced for each person
* Bacon - 4 - 6 rashers of back bacon per person
* Onions - 2 or 3 sliced into rings (optional)
* Lots of fresh and very crusty bread OR
taters, boiled and sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley

Method:

If using taters with this meal prepare and start them cooking before
cooking bacon. Then, in a large frying pan fry bacon gently and let
fat run. Remove and keep warm in oven.

Add onion to bacon fat and cook until golden brown. Remove and keep
warm.

Add mushrooms to pan. You may need to add some butter or oil to pan
at this stage to help mushrooms cook. Do not cook too fast. When
mushrooms are softened and cooked (doesn't take very long) dish up
and serve with plenty of crusty bread to mop up the juices.

This recipe and other Middle Earth inspired fare are available at:

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/ed/recipes.html

--
Jani in WA
Old 13-01-2007, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

Herb Buttered Mushrooms

1 pound fresh white mushrooms
1/4 C. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T. butter
2 T. dry cooking sherry
1 T. snipped fresh basil OR
1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

Clean mushrooms and cut in half. In large skillet, melt butter
over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic, cook until
mushrooms and onion are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in
sherry and spices, cook additional 2-3 minutes or until heated
through. Wonderful with prime rib roast.

Yum. Not too shabby with steak, either, or even hamburgers.

gloria p
Old 13-01-2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jan 2007 16:04:03 -0800, "
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
dish to serve with it. any suggestions??
Thanks

You might try:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Potato Gratin With Mustard And Cheddar Cheese

vegetables

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 pound cheddar cheese; white, grated
1/4 cup flour
5 pounds russet potatoes; peeled, thinly slice
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
6 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs
and stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 10 mins. Cool crumbs.
(Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and let stand at room
temperature.)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 400F. Butter
15x10x2" (4 qt.) glass baking dish. Mix thyme, salt and pepper in
small bowl. Combine grated cheddar cheese and flour in large bowl;
toss to coat cheese. Arrange 1/2 of potatoes over bottom of prepared
dish. Sprinkle 1/3 of thyme mixture, then 1/3 of cheese mixture over.
Repeat layering of potatoes, thyme mixture and cheese mixture 2 more
times. Whisk chicken broth, whipping cream and mustard in medium bowl
to blend. Pour broth mixture over potatoes.

Bake potatoes 30 mins. Sprinkle buttered crumbs over. Bake until
potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, about 1 hour longer. Let
stand 15 mins. before serving.

Contributor: Bon Appetit

Yield: 12 servings

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Old 13-01-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I keep going back to my version of Harvest Potatoes as a favorite side
dish.

I often make mashed potatoes using all Irish potatoes, but throw in one
Yam, to add a pretty color. And a nice flavor.

I also like to mix in grated cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, sour
cream, fennel, and caraway seed. They're especially nice with Roast
Beast;-)

I also like a nice salad with that and/or green beans with bacon,
onion, and slivered almonds.

Myrl
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 13-01-2007, 06:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

smipam asked:

Im making a prime rib and was looking for an interesting vegetable side
dish to serve with it. any suggestions??

Roasted vegetables: Peel onions, carrots, small potatoes, and small turnips.
Cut into bite-sized chunks. Remove core, ribs, and seeds from a yellow bell
pepper or two and cut into bite-sized chunks. Put into a baking pan and
drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper and toss to
coat.

Scrub some beets well, drizzle with oil, and put into a separate pan.

Put both pans into the oven with the roast. (They don't have to be on the
same shelf.) Cook until vegetables are tender, then remove from the oven.
(The beets might take longer than the other vegetables. That's one reason
they're in a separate pan. The other reason is that you don't want them
bleeding all over the other vegetables.)

Cut the top and tip off the beets, then slip off the skins and cut into
wedges. Sprinkle the beets with coarse salt and pepper.

I'll also second the recommendation of creamed spinach.

I'd normally recommend Yorkshire pudding or a savory garlic bread pudding to
accompany prime rib, but they're not what I'd call VEGETABLE side dishes, so
maybe that's not what you want.

Bob