Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Snow day!

Oh joy and delight (for we who do not have to commute). Awoke this
morning to discover a good foot of snow blanketing our neck of the
woods. A heavenly scene and it's still snowing - big fat fluffy
flakes. This much snow is a real and rare treat for the Eugene area &
since we're way out in the country, we'll be laying low for a few days
until the roads clear. Slogged into our woods this morning - no sign of
the deer, but the little nuthatches, chicadees, and juncos were out and
about, demanding we fill their feeder.

Plan to start a quilt this afternoon and DH will probably curl up by
the woodstove with a novel and a cat. Cooked up a mondo pot of
vegetable beef barley soup yesterday just in case we lose power. Made
a great "warm you up" lunch after a walk in the snow.

Dinner tonight - assuming we have juice - Rigatoni w/Italian sausages.

4 Italian sausages, casings removed and broken into small pieces
2 slices bacon, diced
1/2 box Rigatoni
Generous 1/2 C grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Generous 1/2 C cottage cheese (can use ricotta, but cottage cheese
works just as well in this)
1 C milk
1 egg
2T unsalted butter
Generous handful of chopped fresh Italian Parsley
Salt to taste and lots of freshly ground black pepper

While the rigatoni is cooking, saute sausage and bacon in a large
frying pan until cooked through. Beat the egg into the milk and warm
with the unsalted butter.
Add cooked, drained rigatoni to meat mixture.

Immediately add warmed milk mixture, cheeses, and parsley - tossing to
mix and coat the pasta. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Serve immediately with additional grated Parmigiano Reggiano if
desired.

Y'all keep your feet warm & dry!
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "ntantiques" > said:

> Oh joy and delight (for we who do not have to commute). Awoke this
> morning to discover a good foot of snow blanketing our neck of the
> woods. A heavenly scene and it's still snowing - big fat fluffy
> flakes. This much snow is a real and rare treat for the Eugene area &
> since we're way out in the country, we'll be laying low for a few days
> until the roads clear.

<snip description of nice day>

We're having a snow day too -- not that much snow left from
yesterday (about an inch), but the roads are like a skating
rink, so Buddy's school is closed and that means I don't go
to work. Which just makes me feel guilty, damnit... :-(

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mole (Was Snow day!)

One time on Usenet, Cindy Fuller > said:

<snip>

> OB Food: Dinner tonight was chicken mole with Lundberg red rice and
> roasted cauliflower and bell pepper. A fairly standard meal.

You reminded me -- we went to a local Mexican restaurant
a couple of weeks ago, and I tried the chicken mole. I'd
never had the stuff, but wanted to try something different.
It was pretty good, sweeter than I expected, but I liked
the complexity of the flavors. It was kind of rich though,
so it will be a while before I have it again...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "ntantiques" > said:
>
> > Oh joy and delight (for we who do not have to commute). Awoke this
> > morning to discover a good foot of snow blanketing our neck of the
> > woods. A heavenly scene and it's still snowing - big fat fluffy
> > flakes. This much snow is a real and rare treat for the Eugene area &
> > since we're way out in the country, we'll be laying low for a few days
> > until the roads clear.

> <snip description of nice day>
>
> We're having a snow day too -- not that much snow left from
> yesterday (about an inch), but the roads are like a skating
> rink, so Buddy's school is closed and that means I don't go
> to work. Which just makes me feel guilty, damnit... :-(
>
> --
> Jani in WA

I know the feeling- Peninsula School District said that we were on the
2 hour delay, which meant the daycare at my son's school was 2 hours
late, too. My husband & I work in Seattle at the same company, so we
were waiting for the daycare to open at 8:30. At 8:22 the school
district announced that they had changed their mind, and were closing.
So I had the day off, too. But what can you do? Today we brought my son
to the office. Fortunately, the pres. of our co. is a mother, too, so
she is very understanding of the situation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Oh joy and delight (for we who do not have to commute). Awoke this
> morning to discover a good foot of snow blanketing our neck of the
> woods. A heavenly scene and it's still snowing - big fat fluffy
> flakes. This much snow is a real and rare treat for the Eugene area &
> since we're way out in the country, we'll be laying low for a few days
> until the roads clear. Slogged into our woods this morning - no sign of
> the deer, but the little nuthatches, chicadees, and juncos were out and
> about, demanding we fill their feeder.
>
> Plan to start a quilt this afternoon and DH will probably curl up by
> the woodstove with a novel and a cat. Cooked up a mondo pot of
> vegetable beef barley soup yesterday just in case we lose power. Made
> a great "warm you up" lunch after a walk in the snow.
>
> Dinner tonight - assuming we have juice - Rigatoni w/Italian sausages.
>
> 4 Italian sausages, casings removed and broken into small pieces
> 2 slices bacon, diced
> 1/2 box Rigatoni
> Generous 1/2 C grated Parmigiano Reggiano
> Generous 1/2 C cottage cheese (can use ricotta, but cottage cheese
> works just as well in this)
> 1 C milk
> 1 egg
> 2T unsalted butter
> Generous handful of chopped fresh Italian Parsley
> Salt to taste and lots of freshly ground black pepper
>
> While the rigatoni is cooking, saute sausage and bacon in a large
> frying pan until cooked through. Beat the egg into the milk and warm
> with the unsalted butter.
> Add cooked, drained rigatoni to meat mixture.
>
> Immediately add warmed milk mixture, cheeses, and parsley - tossing to
> mix and coat the pasta. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
> Serve immediately with additional grated Parmigiano Reggiano if
> desired.
>
> Y'all keep your feet warm & dry!
> Nancy T

That recipe sounds good; I will have to try it out.