Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2-Alarm chili mix

I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
chili powder mix?

Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> chili powder mix?
>
> Scott

Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
fillers or ingredients other than spices?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
>> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs
>> meat).
>> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
>> chili powder mix?
>>
>> Scott

> Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
> fillers or ingredients other than spices?

It's in separate packages. Here's what I measured (for 2lbs meat):
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
4 teaspoons cumin/oregano
1 1/2 tablespoon dried onion/garlic flakes
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> chili powder mix?
>
> Scott

I agree that seems like way too much chili powder for a mild recipe. Try
1 tablespoon and see how you like it 30 minutes later. It might need a
2nd spoon, depending on what the ground red pepper does to it.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

Steve

PS What is "2 Alarm chili" ? A brand ? A restaurant ?

Scott wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
>>> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs
>>> meat).
>>> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
>>> chili powder mix?
>>>
>>> Scott

>> Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
>> fillers or ingredients other than spices?

> It's in separate packages. Here's what I measured (for 2lbs meat):
> 1/2 cup chili powder
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 4 teaspoons cumin/oregano
> 1 1/2 tablespoon dried onion/garlic flakes
> 1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
> plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
> black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
> in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"
>
> Steve
>
> PS What is "2 Alarm chili" ? A brand ? A restaurant ?

It's a spice package that you can find in just about any grocery store.
It's official name is 'Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm chili kit'.
http://www.foodlocker.com/twoalchilmix.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
> plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
> black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
> in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

People like you shouldn't make chili. What's the ****ing point of 1
tsp chili powder for 2 lbs of meat? Moron.

Just stick to your poached eggs and farina, you obviously can't handle
anything stronger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What I would like to say to this plank is

"Oh Dear, did we get out of the wrong side of the pram this morning
Diddums. Perhaps someone will come along and change your nappy and
you'll feel better."

but I'm not that rude.

What I will say is

" Depends on the strength of your chili powder and your personal tastes.
Our chili powder comes from an Indian grocer in the UK and is hot enough
for us, the added heat from the fresh pepper makes it just right"

Steve

wrote:
> Steve Y wrote:
>> For 2lbs of meat, ie just under 1Kg, I would use a teaspoon of chili
>> plus a whole fresh pepper (cayenne w/o seeds) plus some freshly ground
>> black pepper. You must have the equivalent of 3 tablespoons of "pepper"
>> in total in that recipe and I would imagine it will be "well hot"

> People like you shouldn't make chili. What's the ****ing point of 1
> tsp chili powder for 2 lbs of meat? Moron.
>
> Just stick to your poached eggs and farina, you obviously can't handle
> anything stronger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> chili powder mix?
>
> Scott

When I used this mix I used only half of the chili powder packet. Let
us know
what the final recipe is.
redbird in MT

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 2:39 pm, Scott > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
> >> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> >> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
> >> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> >> chili powder mix?

> >> Scott

> > When I used this mix I used only half of the chili powder packet. Let
> > us know
> > what the final recipe is.
> > redbird in MTWhen I used the package as directed it turns out great but when I try to

> duplicate the recipe it just doesn't taste right.

Are you using masa to thicken it as is the last step in the mix? That
may be the flavor difference
redbird in MT

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...hili+recipe179

> Thanks for the link
> I wonder why that recipe calls for only 3 heaping tbs of chili powder
> when in the package mix it uses 1/2 cup.

Because it also uses dried "japanese chilis" (I have no idea what those are)
and "chilipiquins" (ditto)?

> I'm trying to duplicate so I won't have to depend on buying the spice
> package mix and also I believe that I'll be using higher quality
> spices.

That makes sense, I guess

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vegetables/japanese_chile.htm>

> and "chilipiquins" (ditto)?

<http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vegetables/pequin_chile.htm>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs

meat).
> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> chili powder mix?

Depends on the chili powder. What chilies were used? Some chili powders
are quite mellow.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

>> Is that measurement the package of 2 alarm chili? Doesn't it include
>> fillers or ingredients other than spices?

> It's in separate packages. Here's what I measured (for 2lbs meat):
> 1/2 cup chili powder
> 1 tablespoon paprika
> 4 teaspoons cumin/oregano
> 1 1/2 tablespoon dried onion/garlic flakes
> 1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Ohhhhhh. I thought it might have included some masa or something to get
to that measure... ? Nebbermind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:52:28 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...hili+recipe179
>>
>> Jill

> Not even close to the Wick Fowler 2 Alarm packet recipe. And unless
> you put the chili pequins in a sachet or something.. you can't remove
> them ..they will break open and you will have XXXX HOT chili. Chili
> pequin, tabasco, fresh onion, fresh garlic, cayenne, Japanese chiles
> and flour are not in the recipe if you are trying to duplicate the
> original packet.
>
> jay

I said I couldn't prove the veracity of the link, jay. I don't use this
2-Alarm chili packet. If it was me I'd just buy the mix and be done with
it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:47:50 GMT, jay > wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:52:28 -0600, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...hili+recipe179
>>
>> Jill

>Not even close to the Wick Fowler 2 Alarm packet recipe. And unless you
>put the chili pequins in a sachet or something.. you can't remove them
>..they will break open and you will have XXXX HOT chili. Chili pequin,
>tabasco, fresh onion, fresh garlic, cayenne, Japanese chiles and flour are
>not in the recipe if you are trying to duplicate the original packet.
>
>jay

Since you say this is not the original, how about posting the original
recipe.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've done this one, and to duplicate it with the 1/2 C chili powder,
you have to use what I call the "grocery store" chili powder as opposed
to pure chili powder made completely from ground dried chili peppers.
For a pure chili powder I started with a few tablespoonfuls and kept on
adding and tasting (but unfortunately didn't keep track, as usual, so
I'll have to do this again next time I make it)-the amount should vary
greatly based on the strength of the powder and your preference. I
also fooled with using diced onions and minced garlic instead of the
dried stuff. The garlic was a good change, but the onions didn't give
the same taste and changed the texture (not bad, but not imitating the
2 Alarm product if that's what you're trying to do). There are alot of
great chili recipes out there, but my kids prefer this type.

On Jan 11, 11:19*am, Scott > wrote:
> I'm trying to duplicate the recipe for 2-Alarm chili mix.
> The amount of chili powder used seems way too much (1/2 cup for 2lbs meat).
> Could this be because they're using straight chili powder instead of
> chili powder mix?
>
> Scott

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Scott > wrote:
wrote:

>>> duplicate the recipe it just doesn't taste right.

>> Are you using masa to thicken it as is the last step in the mix? That
>> may be the flavor difference
>> redbird in MT
>>

>I never did used the thicken mix in the first place. Next time I will
>use it since I still have the bag from the last package mix.

Scott, You will get real close by de-seeding, toasting and grinding:
4 anchos
1 dried New Mexico or Anaheim (hot or mild your choice)
1 Guajillo
1 Chili de Arbol or japonese or cayanne etc.

after grinding, mix the chiles and use the amount you prefer (I like
about a half a cup just like the 2 -alarm for 2lbs of meat) as your
"pure chile powder" This is a good base to start with.

Then you can add more of one chile the next time or add chipotles,
pasilla, or what have you, till you have your own blend.

Regards

--
Return address invalid due to spam.