Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Least favorite spice

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I was thinking about spices last night. Not herbs, just spices. Some I
> like better than others. I've decided my least favorite spice is nutmeg. I
> use it when called for in recipes but it's probably my least favorite. What
> is your least favorite spice?
>
> Michael

Fenugreek. Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > I was thinking about spices last night. Not herbs, just spices. Some I
> > like better than others. I've decided my least favorite spice is nutmeg. I
> > use it when called for in recipes but it's probably my least favorite. What
> > is your least favorite spice?
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Fenugreek. Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet.
>
> Bob

Never tried it.

What's it used for?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> I was thinking about spices last night. Not herbs, just spices. Some I
>>> like better than others. I've decided my least favorite spice is nutmeg. I
>>> use it when called for in recipes but it's probably my least favorite. What
>>> is your least favorite spice?
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Fenugreek. Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet.
>>
>> Bob

> Never tried it.
>
> What's it used for?

Fenugreek and turmeric are the main ingredients in most curry powders.
Cumin is also usually high on the ingredient list.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >> Fenugreek. Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Never tried it.
> >
> > What's it used for?

> Fenugreek and turmeric are the main ingredients in most curry powders.
> Cumin is also usually high on the ingredient list.
>
> Bob

Okay, I'm familiar with both Cumin (for mexican food) and Turmeric since
dad likes it, and it's a mild colorant in rice recipes. Does not taste
like much to me.

What does Fenugreek taste like? Can you describe it?

Or will I just have to try some and judge for myself? :-)

I have yet to see it listed as a single ingredient in any specific dish
I've got in my recipe files, as far as I can remember anyway.

But I have seen it as a sprouting seed for sprouts.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Never tried it.
>>>
>>> What's it used for?

>> Fenugreek and turmeric are the main ingredients in most curry powders.
>> Cumin is also usually high on the ingredient list.
>>
>> Bob

> Okay, I'm familiar with both Cumin (for mexican food) and Turmeric since
> dad likes it, and it's a mild colorant in rice recipes. Does not taste
> like much to me.
>
> What does Fenugreek taste like? Can you describe it?
>
> Or will I just have to try some and judge for myself? :-)

"Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet." (I thought
I said that already ;-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >> Fenugreek and turmeric are the main ingredients in most curry powders.
> >> Cumin is also usually high on the ingredient list.
> >>
> >> Bob

> > Okay, I'm familiar with both Cumin (for mexican food) and Turmeric since
> > dad likes it, and it's a mild colorant in rice recipes. Does not taste
> > like much to me.
> >
> > What does Fenugreek taste like? Can you describe it?
> >
> > Or will I just have to try some and judge for myself? :-)

> "Smells and tastes like bad maple syrup, without the sweet." (I thought
> I said that already ;-)
>
> Bob

Ah, sorry!

That does sound a bit foul...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fenugreek was Least Favorite Spice

Omelet wrote:
> Okay, I'm familiar with both Cumin (for mexican food) and Turmeric since
> dad likes it, and it's a mild colorant in rice recipes. Does not taste
> like much to me.
>
> What does Fenugreek taste like? Can you describe it?
>
> Or will I just have to try some and judge for myself? :-)
>
> I have yet to see it listed as a single ingredient in any specific dish
> I've got in my recipe files, as far as I can remember anyway.

I have a Morrocan recipe that uses fenugreek seeds as a primary
seasoning. I can't describe the flavor - but I like it. I wouldn't say
it tastes like maple syrup but it can be a little bitter.

The recipe is very labor intensive which requires making a sort of
fried bread that servers as a base for a tagine of chicken, onions,
lentils and fenugreek. There is some turmeric and ginger too I think.
I will post the recipe if anyone wants it or google "Chicken with
Fenugreek and Lentils."

Fenugreek is also used by breastfeeding women to encourage milk
production.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Tracy" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Okay, I'm familiar with both Cumin (for mexican food) and Turmeric since
> > dad likes it, and it's a mild colorant in rice recipes. Does not taste
> > like much to me.
> >
> > What does Fenugreek taste like? Can you describe it?
> >
> > Or will I just have to try some and judge for myself? :-)
> >
> > I have yet to see it listed as a single ingredient in any specific dish
> > I've got in my recipe files, as far as I can remember anyway.
> >

> I have a Morrocan recipe that uses fenugreek seeds as a primary
> seasoning. I can't describe the flavor - but I like it. I wouldn't say
> it tastes like maple syrup but it can be a little bitter.
>
> The recipe is very labor intensive which requires making a sort of
> fried bread that servers as a base for a tagine of chicken, onions,
> lentils and fenugreek. There is some turmeric and ginger too I think.
> I will post the recipe if anyone wants it or google "Chicken with
> Fenugreek and Lentils."
>
> Fenugreek is also used by breastfeeding women to encourage milk
> production.
>
> Tracy

Sounds fascinating...

how someone hating a spice can get others interested in it. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.