Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roasted garlic

I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.

The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.

Now what do i do with them<g>?

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
s.com...
>I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>
> maxine in ri

The first time I tasted garlic cooked this way, I was (believe it or not) at
a TGI Friday's in Long Island. It was an "off the menu" dish from a chef who
was apparently bored on a slow night. They served it with a big wedge of
warm brie cheese. Baby bottle warm. The idea was to get some cheese on the
fork, and then some garlic. It was to die for. Try it with that cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>
> maxine in ri

Smoosh them onto crostini or bruschetta or Italian bread. The most
basic garlic bread there is.

You can go further by adding any or all of the following, to your
taste: olive oil, sun-dried tomato slices, goat cheese, capers,
kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, chopped tomatoes and basil,
parmesan.

Mash them into butter and add parsley & parmesan for a serious bread
spread that briols beautifully.

Toss them in with pasta and sauteed veggies.

Or just eat em like candy =) They're that good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The
> insides were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>
> maxine in ri

Squeeze the cloves out on slices of french or italian bread, drizzle with
olive oil or spread with butter, sprinkle with salt and some dried basil and
toast them under the broiler until nicely browned. Garlic bread! Use the
garlic bread to make sandwiches. I just had a nice ham & cheese garlic
bread sandwich yesterday

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?

The tops should be lopped off and then drizzle the buds with a
little oil before baking. When they are done you can pop the
cloves out and spread them on crackers or bread.

I can't do it myself. One of my dogs if plagued with sebaceous
cysts and I am forever popping them out and getting a pasty ooze
out of them. It has sort of turned me off from pasty foods that
get squeezed out. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in news:1168313496.421723.3320@
38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The

insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>
> maxine in ri

Firstly, when you cut them, just cut the very tops of the heads off (and
chuck 'em), that way you don't lose too much of the flesh if it
overcooks. I drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Maldon Sea Salt and
apply fresh cracked black pepper. Wrap them in foil and bake in the
oven.

Uses??? *Lots*!!!

I sploosh them all out (I usually do about 9-12 heads at a time), and
put in a sterilized jar with a layer of EVOO on top. Ready to use
whenever you want it :-)

Spread on a pizza base before you apply your sauce.

Butter some bread that has been toasted on one side under the griller,
(butter the uncooked side) spread the garlic on, top with cheese, and
put under the griller again........ Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)

Cut into 'fingers' and serve.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in news:45A31668.101C5D23
@sympatico.ca:

> maxine in ri wrote:
>>
>> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
>> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
>> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>>
>> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The

insides
>> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>>
>> Now what do i do with them<g>?

> The tops should be lopped off and then drizzle the buds with a
> little oil before baking. When they are done you can pop the
> cloves out and spread them on crackers or bread.
>
> I can't do it myself. One of my dogs if plagued with sebaceous
> cysts and I am forever popping them out and getting a pasty ooze
> out of them. It has sort of turned me off from pasty foods that
> get squeezed out. :-)

LOL!!!!!

Reminds me of anothery.........

Asparagus spears look like someone popped a blackhead on an elephant :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
>>
>> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
>> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
>> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>>
>> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The
>> insides were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>>
>> Now what do i do with them<g>?

> The tops should be lopped off and then drizzle the buds with a
> little oil before baking. When they are done you can pop the
> cloves out and spread them on crackers or bread.
>
> I can't do it myself. One of my dogs if plagued with sebaceous
> cysts and I am forever popping them out and getting a pasty ooze
> out of them. It has sort of turned me off from pasty foods that
> get squeezed out. :-)

Oh gross, Dave! But seriously it has nothing to do with garlic.

Jill <--garlic fiend

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09 Jan 2007 04:16:45 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>"maxine in ri" > wrote in news:1168313496.421723.3320@
>38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Uses??? *Lots*!!!

Another good use is to puree the cloves with some olive oil, and them
add them in when you make mashed potatoes.

I saw Michael Chiarello do this on his program on the Food Network,
and I tried it over Christmas, and the mashed potatoes were heavenly.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Jan 2007 19:31:36 -0800, "maxine in ri" >
wrote:

>I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
>roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
>oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
>The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
>were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
>Now what do i do with them<g>?

Squeeze the insides out onto sliced roasted pork tenderloin! Yum!

Regards,
Tracy R.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On 09 Jan 2007 04:16:45 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
>>"maxine in ri" > wrote in

>>38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>>>
>>> maxine in ri

>>Uses??? *Lots*!!!

> Another good use is to puree the cloves with some olive oil, and them
> add them in when you make mashed potatoes.
>
> I saw Michael Chiarello do this on his program on the Food Network,
> and I tried it over Christmas, and the mashed potatoes were heavenly.
>
> Christine

Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)

I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful of
grated cheese.

Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too often
;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
> Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :
>
> > On 09 Jan 2007 04:16:45 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
> >
> >>"maxine in ri" > wrote in

> >>38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >>Uses??? *Lots*!!!

> > Another good use is to puree the cloves with some olive oil, and them
> > add them in when you make mashed potatoes.
> >
> > I saw Michael Chiarello do this on his program on the Food Network,
> > and I tried it over Christmas, and the mashed potatoes were heavenly.
> >
> > Christine
> >

> Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)
>

> I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
> splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful of
> grated cheese.
>

> Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too often
> ;-)

Yumm that sounds good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bronwyn" > wrote in news:1168325365.251359.42040@
11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

>> Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)
>>

>> I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
>> splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful

of
>> grated cheese.
>>

>> Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too

often
>> ;-)
>>

> Yumm that sounds good.

Just right for those cold wintery nights when you have gourmet sausages
(Peppered Beef, or North African Spicy Lamb) slow cooked in the frypan
on some baking paper and then drizzle some thick mulberry jelly on the
snags.

It's cold and wet outside, right? ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri said...

> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?

Ooh! Ooh! [raising hand]

Add them to breakfast pizza!???

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article m>,
"maxine in ri" > wrote:

> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>
> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>
> Now what do i do with them<g>?
>
> maxine in ri

Toasted garlic bread! With lots of butter. :-)

There are also roasted garlic sausage recipes to try.

Crackers and butter with roasted garlic works too!

Lots of things......
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> >I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> > roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> > oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
> >
> > The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> > were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
> >
> > Now what do i do with them<g>?
> >
> > maxine in ri
> >

> The first time I tasted garlic cooked this way, I was (believe it or not) at
> a TGI Friday's in Long Island. It was an "off the menu" dish from a chef who
> was apparently bored on a slow night. They served it with a big wedge of
> warm brie cheese. Baby bottle warm. The idea was to get some cheese on the
> fork, and then some garlic. It was to die for. Try it with that cheese.

Oh gods... Roasted garlic with Brie?

I have SO got to try that!

Just by itself or with crackers/bread?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
>> s.com...
>> >I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
>> > roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
>> > oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
>> >
>> > The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
>> > were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
>> >
>> > Now what do i do with them<g>?
>> >
>> > maxine in ri
>> >

>> The first time I tasted garlic cooked this way, I was (believe it or not)
>> at
>> a TGI Friday's in Long Island. It was an "off the menu" dish from a chef
>> who
>> was apparently bored on a slow night. They served it with a big wedge of
>> warm brie cheese. Baby bottle warm. The idea was to get some cheese on
>> the
>> fork, and then some garlic. It was to die for. Try it with that cheese.

> Oh gods... Roasted garlic with Brie?
>
> I have SO got to try that!
>
> Just by itself or with crackers/bread?

I don't recall if there was bread. But yes - you should try it. Rub it all
over your body.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> maxine in ri wrote:
> >
> > I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> > roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> > oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
> >
> > The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The insides
> > were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
> >
> > Now what do i do with them<g>?

> The tops should be lopped off and then drizzle the buds with a
> little oil before baking. When they are done you can pop the
> cloves out and spread them on crackers or bread.
>
> I can't do it myself. One of my dogs if plagued with sebaceous
> cysts and I am forever popping them out and getting a pasty ooze
> out of them. It has sort of turned me off from pasty foods that
> get squeezed out. :-)

Thankyousoverymuch for posting that delightful picture to a cooking
list. :-P

I'll have to retaliate by e-mailing you pictures of squeezing cysts on a
rabbit's belly, and having a squirming maggot pop out of the wound.

Iirc, the vet's diagnosis was blowfly larvae.

And yes, the rabbit lived thru it.

It was a debilitated rescue animal.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote in news:45A31668.101C5D23
> @sympatico.ca:
>

> > maxine in ri wrote:
> >>
> >> I had these 5 heads of garlic staring at me, so I decided to try and
> >> roast them. Sliced them in half, drizzled them with a little olive
> >> oil, and baked at 350 for 45 minutes.
> >>
> >> The tops were hard and crusty and a tad on the burnt side. The

> insides
> >> were soft and gooshy and ohsofragrant.
> >>
> >> Now what do i do with them<g>?

> > The tops should be lopped off and then drizzle the buds with a
> > little oil before baking. When they are done you can pop the
> > cloves out and spread them on crackers or bread.
> >
> > I can't do it myself. One of my dogs if plagued with sebaceous
> > cysts and I am forever popping them out and getting a pasty ooze
> > out of them. It has sort of turned me off from pasty foods that
> > get squeezed out. :-)
> >

> LOL!!!!!
>

> Reminds me of anothery.........
>
> Asparagus spears look like someone popped a blackhead on an elephant :-)

Oh, really????

Sorry, I do too much vet work to get grossed out by this. :-)

I LOVE roasted garlic and will continue loving it! I snip the top off of
the clove and squeeze that delicious pasty stuff out. It's also good
just mixed into other recipes. Sauces, ground meats, even omelets.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On 09 Jan 2007 04:16:45 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>
> >"maxine in ri" > wrote in news:1168313496.421723.3320@
> >38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> >> Now what do i do with them<g>?
> >>
> >> maxine in ri

> >Uses??? *Lots*!!!

> Another good use is to puree the cloves with some olive oil, and them
> add them in when you make mashed potatoes.
>
> I saw Michael Chiarello do this on his program on the Food Network,
> and I tried it over Christmas, and the mashed potatoes were heavenly.
>
> Christine

Ooh, I wonder if they'd go with yams?

We don't eat potatoes here anymore.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterL > wrote:

> Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)
>

> I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
> splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful of
> grated cheese.
>

> Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too often
> ;-)

I can't get Maldon salt here! I've looked for it since you first posted
about it. Even Central Market does not carry it.

Real Salt is the brand I used, or Mediterranean sea salt.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> PeterL > wrote:
>

>> Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)
>>

>> I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
>> splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful of
>> grated cheese.
>>

>> Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too often
>> ;-)

> I can't get Maldon salt here! I've looked for it since you first posted
> about it. Even Central Market does not carry it.
>
> Real Salt is the brand I used, or Mediterranean sea salt.
> --
> Peace, Om

I'm going to pretend you didn't say you used any of those silly brands of
salt, especially sea salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> >
> >> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> >> s.com...

> >> The first time I tasted garlic cooked this way, I was (believe it or not)
> >> at
> >> a TGI Friday's in Long Island. It was an "off the menu" dish from a chef
> >> who
> >> was apparently bored on a slow night. They served it with a big wedge of
> >> warm brie cheese. Baby bottle warm. The idea was to get some cheese on
> >> the
> >> fork, and then some garlic. It was to die for. Try it with that cheese.

> > Oh gods... Roasted garlic with Brie?
> >
> > I have SO got to try that!
> >
> > Just by itself or with crackers/bread?

> I don't recall if there was bread. But yes - you should try it. Rub it all
> over your body.

Are you volunteering???????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Oh gods... Roasted garlic with Brie?
>> >
>> > I have SO got to try that!
>> >
>> > Just by itself or with crackers/bread?

>> I don't recall if there was bread. But yes - you should try it. Rub it
>> all
>> over your body.

> Are you volunteering???????
> --
> Peace, Om

Get in line!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > PeterL > wrote:
> >

> >> Oops!! Forgot about that one :-)
> >>

> >> I make my mash with a big glob of butter, plenty of Maldon Salt, a
> >> splodge of cream, the roasted garlic, and then I throw in a handful of
> >> grated cheese.
> >>

> >> Luckily it's quite warm weather up here and we don't have it too often
> >> ;-)

> > I can't get Maldon salt here! I've looked for it since you first posted
> > about it. Even Central Market does not carry it.
> >
> > Real Salt is the brand I used, or Mediterranean sea salt.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> I'm going to pretend you didn't say you used any of those silly brands of
> salt, especially sea salt.

Ok, and you have an issue with that.... why?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>>
>>> "maxine in ri" > wrote in message
>>> s.com...

>>> The first time I tasted garlic cooked this way, I was (believe it or not)
>>> at
>>> a TGI Friday's in Long Island. It was an "off the menu" dish from a chef
>>> who
>>> was apparently bored on a slow night. They served it with a big wedge of
>>> warm brie cheese. Baby bottle warm. The idea was to get some cheese on
>>> the
>>> fork, and then some garlic. It was to die for. Try it with that cheese.

>> Oh gods... Roasted garlic with Brie?
>>
>> I have SO got to try that!
>>
>> Just by itself or with crackers/bread?

> I don't recall if there was bread. But yes - you should try it. Rub it all
> over your body.

ROFL!

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > I can't get Maldon salt here! I've looked for it since you first posted
>> > about it. Even Central Market does not carry it.
>> >
>> > Real Salt is the brand I used, or Mediterranean sea salt.
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> I'm going to pretend you didn't say you used any of those silly brands of
>> salt, especially sea salt.

> Ok, and you have an issue with that.... why?
> --
> Peace, Om

Two reasons:

If you buy it because you think it's more pure in some way, you're wrong,
especially if you're charmed by the word "Mediterranean", a body of water no
cleaner (and probably dirtier) than any other ocean/sea. You know the crap
that's in fish? The various pollutants? It's in your salt, too.

If you buy it because of the taste, something's wrong with your cooking.
Salt shouldn't be the predominant flavor, unless you're making potato chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> > In article >,

> >> I'm going to pretend you didn't say you used any of those silly brands of
> >> salt, especially sea salt.

> > Ok, and you have an issue with that.... why?
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Two reasons:
>
> If you buy it because you think it's more pure in some way, you're wrong,
> especially if you're charmed by the word "Mediterranean", a body of water no
> cleaner (and probably dirtier) than any other ocean/sea. You know the crap
> that's in fish? The various pollutants? It's in your salt, too.
>
> If you buy it because of the taste, something's wrong with your cooking.
> Salt shouldn't be the predominant flavor, unless you're making potato chips.

You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.

Salt is added, to taste, at the table.

And I happen to favor "real salt" brand salt.

Unless you have tried it, shut up.

The only exception is the sausage I've been making lately. I use Real
Salt for that and in 1/2 to 1/4th the amount the recipes suggest.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Ok, and you have an issue with that.... why?
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> Two reasons:
>>
>> If you buy it because you think it's more pure in some way, you're wrong,
>> especially if you're charmed by the word "Mediterranean", a body of water
>> no
>> cleaner (and probably dirtier) than any other ocean/sea. You know the
>> crap
>> that's in fish? The various pollutants? It's in your salt, too.
>>
>> If you buy it because of the taste, something's wrong with your cooking.
>> Salt shouldn't be the predominant flavor, unless you're making potato
>> chips.

> You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
> COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.
>
> Salt is added, to taste, at the table.
>
> And I happen to favor "real salt" brand salt.
>
> Unless you have tried it, shut up.
>
> The only exception is the sausage I've been making lately. I use Real
> Salt for that and in 1/2 to 1/4th the amount the recipes suggest.
> --
> Peace, Om

I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
noticeable, you're using too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> > In article >,

> >> Two reasons:
> >>
> >> If you buy it because you think it's more pure in some way, you're wrong,
> >> especially if you're charmed by the word "Mediterranean", a body of water
> >> no
> >> cleaner (and probably dirtier) than any other ocean/sea. You know the
> >> crap
> >> that's in fish? The various pollutants? It's in your salt, too.
> >>
> >> If you buy it because of the taste, something's wrong with your cooking.
> >> Salt shouldn't be the predominant flavor, unless you're making potato
> >> chips.

> > You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
> > COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.
> >
> > Salt is added, to taste, at the table.
> >
> > And I happen to favor "real salt" brand salt.
> >
> > Unless you have tried it, shut up.
> >
> > The only exception is the sausage I've been making lately. I use Real
> > Salt for that and in 1/2 to 1/4th the amount the recipes suggest.

> I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
> noticeable, you're using too much.

If you are incapable of tasting subtle flavor differences, you need to
give up the cigarettes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"Omelet" > wrote in message

>>> If you buy it because of the taste, something's wrong with your cooking.
>>> Salt shouldn't be the predominant flavor, unless you're making potato
>>> chips.

>> You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
>> COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.
>>
>> Salt is added, to taste, at the table.

>I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
>noticeable, you're using too much.

I have been reading about salt lately, from some very noted cooks and
cookbook authors.

One of the things that keeps coming out, is that if you add salt
during cooking (and it doesn't have to be much) it helps the flavors
to bloom. It doesn't mean that something is salty. It just brings
everything together.
One noted cook/chef said if you add salt afterwards, it just tastes
salty, instead of just rounding out flavors and heightening them, as
it does when it is added during the cooking process. You actually end
up using less salt if you add it during the cooking process.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:

>>> You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
>>> COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.
>>>
>>> Salt is added, to taste, at the table.

>>I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
>>noticeable, you're using too much.
>>

> I have been reading about salt lately, from some very noted cooks and
> cookbook authors.
>
> One of the things that keeps coming out, is that if you add salt
> during cooking (and it doesn't have to be much) it helps the flavors
> to bloom. It doesn't mean that something is salty. It just brings
> everything together.
> One noted cook/chef said if you add salt afterwards, it just tastes
> salty, instead of just rounding out flavors and heightening them, as
> it does when it is added during the cooking process. You actually end
> up using less salt if you add it during the cooking process.
>
> Christine

Yep. And, if you add it during the cooking process, it doesn't matter what
kind it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:

> >> You have forgotten how many bloody posts I've made that said I DON'T
> >> COOK WITH SALT!!! And I've been picked on for it.
> >>
> >> Salt is added, to taste, at the table.

> >I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
> >noticeable, you're using too much.
> >

> I have been reading about salt lately, from some very noted cooks and
> cookbook authors.
>
> One of the things that keeps coming out, is that if you add salt
> during cooking (and it doesn't have to be much) it helps the flavors
> to bloom. It doesn't mean that something is salty. It just brings
> everything together.
> One noted cook/chef said if you add salt afterwards, it just tastes
> salty, instead of just rounding out flavors and heightening them, as
> it does when it is added during the cooking process. You actually end
> up using less salt if you add it during the cooking process.
>
> Christine

The problem I've had with that is that the taste for salt is too
individual...

It's why it's very hard for us to eat out any more!

The cooks used tooooooo damned much salt! Especially at chain
restaurants. Any dish at Red Lobster or Olive Garden for instance tastes
like I'm eating from a salt shaker. There is no food taste. It's pure
sodium chloride Dad agrees.

It's also one major reason I'm learning to make my own sausage.

For quite some time now, when I buy commercial sausage (like HEB's
breakfast sausage), I purchase two lbs. of fresh ground meat to mix it
with to cut the salt to 1/3rd.

It's the only way it tastes worth a damn.

Maybe I've gotten too sensitive eating a low sodium diet, but, DAMN!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > > wrote:

> >>I *have* tried it. If you're using so much that the difference in taste is
> >>noticeable, you're using too much.
> >>

> > I have been reading about salt lately, from some very noted cooks and
> > cookbook authors.
> >
> > One of the things that keeps coming out, is that if you add salt
> > during cooking (and it doesn't have to be much) it helps the flavors
> > to bloom. It doesn't mean that something is salty. It just brings
> > everything together.
> > One noted cook/chef said if you add salt afterwards, it just tastes
> > salty, instead of just rounding out flavors and heightening them, as
> > it does when it is added during the cooking process. You actually end
> > up using less salt if you add it during the cooking process.
> >
> > Christine

> Yep. And, if you add it during the cooking process, it doesn't matter what
> kind it is.

Give up the tobacco dude...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:31:11 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

>> > I have been reading about salt lately, from some very noted cooks and
>> > cookbook authors.
>> >
>> > One of the things that keeps coming out, is that if you add salt
>> > during cooking (and it doesn't have to be much) it helps the flavors
>> > to bloom. It doesn't mean that something is salty. It just brings
>> > everything together.
>> > One noted cook/chef said if you add salt afterwards, it just tastes
>> > salty, instead of just rounding out flavors and heightening them, as
>> > it does when it is added during the cooking process. You actually end
>> > up using less salt if you add it during the cooking process.
>> >
>> > Christine

>> Yep. And, if you add it during the cooking process, it doesn't matter
>> what
>> kind it is.

> Give up the tobacco dude...

Give me examples of three recipes in which you can taste a difference
between sea salt and standar Morton's or whatever. By "recipe", I mean it
must be cooked, not sprinkled on the food at the table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> Yep. And, if you add it during the cooking process, it doesn't matter
> >> what
> >> kind it is.

> > Give up the tobacco dude...

> Give me examples of three recipes in which you can taste a difference
> between sea salt and standar Morton's or whatever. By "recipe", I mean it
> must be cooked, not sprinkled on the food at the table.

Sausage.

Soup.

Jerky.

Easy,

Try again please. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> Give me examples of three recipes in which you can taste a difference
>> between sea salt and standar Morton's or whatever. By "recipe", I mean it
>> must be cooked, not sprinkled on the food at the table.

> Sausage.
>
> Soup.
>
> Jerky.
>
> Easy,
>
> Try again please. ;-)

Bullshit, unless your cooking is criminally bland. Total bullshit. Lies.

However, I *did* edit the rest of the post just for you, because I still
think you're a standup kinda women, except for your lies about salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news >
>
> >> Give me examples of three recipes in which you can taste a difference
> >> between sea salt and standar Morton's or whatever. By "recipe", I mean it
> >> must be cooked, not sprinkled on the food at the table.

> > Sausage.
> >
> > Soup.
> >
> > Jerky.
> >
> > Easy,
> >
> > Try again please. ;-)

> Bullshit, unless your cooking is criminally bland. Total bullshit. Lies.
>
> However, I *did* edit the rest of the post just for you, because I still
> think you're a standup kinda women, except for your lies about salt.

Oh Joe dear...

If you really cannot taste the difference between "Real Salt" (which is
not "just sea salt") and Mortons bitter crap with sodium silica
aluminate", you need further palate training!

I'd be glad to help....

if I don't have to stand in line. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news >>

>> > Sausage.
>> >
>> > Soup.
>> >
>> > Jerky.
>> >
>> > Easy,
>> >
>> > Try again please. ;-)

>> Bullshit, unless your cooking is criminally bland. Total bullshit. Lies.
>>
>> However, I *did* edit the rest of the post just for you, because I still
>> think you're a standup kinda women, except for your lies about salt.

> Oh Joe dear...
>
> If you really cannot taste the difference between "Real Salt" (which is
> not "just sea salt") and Mortons bitter crap with sodium silica
> aluminate", you need further palate training!
>
> I'd be glad to help....
>
> if I don't have to stand in line. ;-)

Salt is salt. Whatever you get from sea salt is random. A crapshoot. The
salinity of the ocean varies seasonally. There are local temperature
inversions which may or may not churn up all sorts of crap from the bottom.
If you want a pure product, buy canning salt and pulverize it with a mortar
& pestle.