Erika

Default Typical packed lunch

If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
What would you pack for it for lunch?

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
travis

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:47:07 GMT, Erika > shared
the following:

>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
>/Erika
>
>The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
>Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
>Then you gradually change in to them.

Ham & Cheese sandwich, apple slices, bag o' Doritos, a Little Debbie
snack cake thingie (there are at least 20 different kinds), juice-box.

--
Travis
FOR SALE: '63 VW Camo Baja... $1000 *FIRM*

:wq!
Erika

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:52:32 -0400, travis
> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:47:07 GMT, Erika > shared
>the following:
>

>>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>>What would you pack for it for lunch?
>>
>>/Erika
>>
>>The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
>>Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
>>Then you gradually change in to them.

>Ham & Cheese sandwich, apple slices, bag o' Doritos, a Little Debbie
>snack cake thingie (there are at least 20 different kinds), juice-box.

Sounds nice

I would probably pack a yoghurt, a banana or apple depending on the
season, two ham sandwiches with cucumber and an apple juice carton.

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Nancy Howells

In article >, Erika
> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:52:32 -0400, travis
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:47:07 GMT, Erika > shared
> >the following:
> >

> >>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> >>What would you pack for it for lunch?
> >>
> >>/Erika
> >>
> >>The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> >>Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as
> >>possible.
> >>Then you gradually change in to them.

> >Ham & Cheese sandwich, apple slices, bag o' Doritos, a Little Debbie
> >snack cake thingie (there are at least 20 different kinds), juice-box.

> Sounds nice
>
> I would probably pack a yoghurt, a banana or apple depending on the
> season, two ham sandwiches with cucumber and an apple juice carton.
>

> /Erika
>
> The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
> Then you gradually change in to them

My mother used to pack me a bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard, a
boiled egg, carrot and celery sticks, and in those days, they sent a
thermos of some fluid with you, or you were given money for milk. The
liquid of choice from my mom was iced tea.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Erika

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:22:53 GMT, Nancy Howells
> wrote:

>My mother used to pack me a bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard, a
>boiled egg, carrot and celery sticks, and in those days, they sent a
>thermos of some fluid with you, or you were given money for milk. The
>liquid of choice from my mom was iced tea.

That sounds nice and healthy. When was this?

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.

Nancy Howells

In article >, Erika
> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:22:53 GMT, Nancy Howells
> > wrote:
>
> >My mother used to pack me a bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard, a
> >boiled egg, carrot and celery sticks, and in those days, they sent a
> >thermos of some fluid with you, or you were given money for milk. The
> >liquid of choice from my mom was iced tea.

> That sounds nice and healthy. When was this?

Back in the late 60s, early 70s. I was always on a diet, from the age
of 8 on.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Nexis

"Erika" > wrote in message

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
> /Erika

Actually, it's a timely question for me, since I do happen to have a 9 yr
old daughter who has an upcoming field trip!
We've discussed what she wanted to bring and her menu consists of:
Turkey sandwich (Turkey and mustard, possibly with cheese, on wheat)
Veggies (for her, generally carrots and broccoli, maybe some cucumbers)
Dip for said veggies
Granny Smith apple (she loves those sour ones)
Bottle of water
Possibly a brownie to something similar.
If it's cold she wants to bring along some tomato soup in a thermos to go
with the sandwich as well. I figure since they eat relatively early (11:15)
during this one that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm really lucky in that this girl loves her veggies and eats pretty darn
healthy for a 9 yr old.
Where's yours going for their outing?

kimberly

Erika

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:29:41 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>"Erika" > wrote in message
.. .

>> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>>
>> /Erika

>Actually, it's a timely question for me, since I do happen to have a 9 yr
>old daughter who has an upcoming field trip!
>We've discussed what she wanted to bring and her menu consists of:
>Turkey sandwich (Turkey and mustard, possibly with cheese, on wheat)
>Veggies (for her, generally carrots and broccoli, maybe some cucumbers)
>Dip for said veggies
>Granny Smith apple (she loves those sour ones)
>Bottle of water
>Possibly a brownie to something similar.
>If it's cold she wants to bring along some tomato soup in a thermos to go
>with the sandwich as well. I figure since they eat relatively early (11:15)
>during this one that shouldn't be a problem.
>
>I'm really lucky in that this girl loves her veggies and eats pretty darn
>healthy for a 9 yr old.
>Where's yours going for their outing?
>
>kimberly

It is not my kid going anywhere (mine isnīt born yet!) but my friends
daughter and we were talkiong about what was suitable. Then my husband
told us what an english packed lunch was like where he grew up and
well, the disucssion was a fact.

Generally yhere is a big difference between england and sweden like
that. a n english packed lunch with a white bread sandwich, a packet
of crisps, a chocolate bar and a soft drink didn't exactly match what
my friend had in mind.

In Sweden a typical packed lunch would be a small thrmos of hot
chocolate, a few brown bread sandwiches with sausage (like a mild
salami) and sliced cucumber and a fruit. Maybe a yoghurt or a hard
boild egg.

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Dave Smith

Erika wrote:

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?

It depends on the kid and what he/she likes. I used to like sandwiches,
cheese and pickle, peanut butter and banana, tuna, salmon, ham and pickle,
ham and cheese, corned beef etc.

My son was not a fan of sandwiches. My wife sometimes boiled a couple
wieners and stuck them in a thermos with some of the hot water. She would
put some relish and mustard on buns and wrap them up. At lunch time he could
dig out the hot wieners and have hot dogs for lunch. His friends were quite
envious of his lunches.

travis

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:22:53 GMT, Nancy Howells
> shared the following:

>In article >, Erika
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:52:32 -0400, travis
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:47:07 GMT, Erika > shared
>> >the following:

>> >Ham & Cheese sandwich, apple slices, bag o' Doritos, a Little Debbie
>> >snack cake thingie (there are at least 20 different kinds), juice-box.

>> Sounds nice
>>
>> I would probably pack a yoghurt, a banana or apple depending on the
>> season, two ham sandwiches with cucumber and an apple juice carton.
>>

>> /Erika
>>
>> The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
>> Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
>> Then you gradually change in to them

>My mother used to pack me a bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard, a
>boiled egg, carrot and celery sticks, and in those days, they sent a
>thermos of some fluid with you, or you were given money for milk. The
>liquid of choice from my mom was iced tea.

My kids (4 of them ranging from 8-14) have finally gotten to the point
where they pack their own lunches for school. My wife and I still
have to have a "surprise inspection" every now and then to be sure
they're not trying to pack a bag full of nothing but sweet stuff, but
the last few of those inspections showed they're actually doing a
pretty good job of preparing their lunches. :-)

--
Travis
FOR SALE: '63 VW Camo Baja... $1000 *FIRM*
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org
Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!

Erika

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:40:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Erika wrote:
>
>> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>> What would you pack for it for lunch?

>It depends on the kid and what he/she likes. I used to like sandwiches,
>cheese and pickle, peanut butter and banana, tuna, salmon, ham and pickle,
>ham and cheese, corned beef etc.
>
>My son was not a fan of sandwiches. My wife sometimes boiled a couple
>wieners and stuck them in a thermos with some of the hot water. She would
>put some relish and mustard on buns and wrap them up. At lunch time he could
>dig out the hot wieners and have hot dogs for lunch. His friends were quite
>envious of his lunches.

I can imagine! That sounds class!

/Erika

The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
Then you gradually change in to them.
Arri London

Erika wrote:

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
> /Erika

Our lunches for such occasions were usually some sort of salami or
cheese sandwiches, carrot or celery sticks, raisins a/o peanuts, carton
of yoghurt (previously frozen, which thawed by lunch time), milk or
orange juice and a bottle of water. Sometimes some sort of biscuit or
piece of fruit or packet of crisps.

My mother had an absolute horror of food poisoning, so ordinary ham or
anything made with mayo was out of the question. We were also under
strict orders not to eat from anyone else's lunch box! But we knew whose
lunch was 'safe' and whose wasn't.

Blair P. Houghton

Erika > wrote:
>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>What would you pack for it for lunch?

What I got when I was nine:

Baloney and cheese with butter and mustard on white bread.
Bag o' chips. Sometimes Fritos.
Apple or banana.

--Blair
"I didn't care."
Carnivore269

travis > wrote in message >. ..
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:22:53 GMT, Nancy Howells
> > shared the following:
>
> >In article >, Erika
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:52:32 -0400, travis

> >> Sounds nice
> >>
> >> I would probably pack a yoghurt, a banana or apple depending on the
> >> season, two ham sandwiches with cucumber and an apple juice carton.
> >>

> >> /Erika
> >>
> >> The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> >> Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
> >> Then you gradually change in to them

> >My mother used to pack me a bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard, a
> >boiled egg, carrot and celery sticks, and in those days, they sent a
> >thermos of some fluid with you, or you were given money for milk. The
> >liquid of choice from my mom was iced tea.

> My kids (4 of them ranging from 8-14) have finally gotten to the point
> where they pack their own lunches for school. My wife and I still
> have to have a "surprise inspection" every now and then to be sure
> they're not trying to pack a bag full of nothing but sweet stuff, but
> the last few of those inspections showed they're actually doing a
> pretty good job of preparing their lunches. :-)

I'll have to pass this hint on to 'sis.
Good to teach kids early on how to cook and feed themselves!
Too many of my age group _still_ don't know how to cook. I'm 41. <G>
Mom started us "cooking" when we were about 4 years old.

C.
jammer

>Erika > wrote:
>>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>>What would you pack for it for lunch?

I would ask him what he wanted and if he didn't know or care, i would
provide a turkey and cheese sandwich, chips, and cookies or packaged
dessert.

-L.

Erika > wrote in message >. ..
> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
> /Erika

Roll-up wraps with meat, cheese, veggies and condiment of choice on
tortilla- wrapped in foil and cut in half so it is easy to eat (place
in ziplock). Homemade cookies, brownie or trail mix. Carrot and
celery sticks. Apple or other fruit. Frozen juicebox. Love note
from Mom.

This is my typical Husband Lunch.

-L.
j*ni p.

Hark! I heard Erika > say:

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?

The same sort of thing that I pack for my Small Child -- peanut butter
or bologna sandwich, a tube of yogurt, crackers, applesauce, water. I
don't give him much fruit juice, it's too much sugar for too little
Vitamin C...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Kswck

Erika wrote:

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
> /Erika
>
> The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
> Then you gradually change in to them.

Two bologna or ham sandwiches, apple, juice box & small pack of oreo's.

Hag & Stenni

wrote:

>If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
>What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
>/Erika
>
>The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
>Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
>Then you gradually change in to them.

Well I have an 8 yr old and he takes his lunch most
days...Lets see...

Sandwiches is an obvious one, but also Pizza slice
(leftover), Hot pockets (Homemade), burritos or wraps, PB&J
Tortilla rollups or meat & Cheese varietys of it, fried
chicken legs, Corndog, chicken pojarski pattys, cheese or
peperoni bread, etc etc...

then for sides I pick 2 or 3, Hard boiled egg, piece of
fruit, carrots or other vegie with dips, crackers, cheese
cubes, leftover pancakes, sausage links, home-made - jello,
yogurt, muffin, snack cake, cornbread, bagel, crackers,
cheese cubes, etc etc...

and of course somthing to drink, water or milk is the choice
at our house....once in a while if hes xtra specialy
deserving a treat he will get a juice box...

Hag k

As a beauty Im not a star, there are
others more handsome by far, but my
face I dont mind it because Im behind
it, its the folks out front that I jar...

Pull a loraine Bobbit (cut off waynespenis) to reply
Sylvia

> What would you pack for it for lunch?

What does he like?

Peanut butter sandwich, a baggie of baby carrots, a piece of fruit, an
individual container of 100% fruit juice.

Could be a jelly sandwich or cream cheese sandwich or sliced cheese
sandwich. No tuna or anything with mayonnaise, of course.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Sylvia

> Turkey sandwich (Turkey and mustard, possibly with cheese, on wheat)
> Dip for said veggies

You have some potential problems here unless you're going to pack the
lunch in some type of thermal container with a freezer pack. Any meat
can go bad fairly quickly, and dips usually contain mayonnaise. They
*might* still be okay but I sure wouldn't take that chance with my kids'
health.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Jimmy Tango

"Hag & Stenni" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:47:07 GMT, Erika >
> wrote:
>

> >If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> >What would you pack for it for lunch?
> >
> >/Erika
> >
> >The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> >Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
> >Then you gradually change in to them.

> Well I have an 8 yr old and he takes his lunch most
> days...Lets see...
>
> Sandwiches is an obvious one, but also Pizza slice
> (leftover), Hot pockets (Homemade), burritos or wraps, PB&J
> Tortilla rollups or meat & Cheese varietys of it, fried
> chicken legs, Corndog, chicken pojarski pattys, cheese or
> peperoni bread, etc etc...

I take it that this child weighs about 180 lbs?

> then for sides I pick 2 or 3, Hard boiled egg, piece of
> fruit, carrots or other vegie with dips, crackers, cheese
> cubes, leftover pancakes, sausage links, home-made - jello,
> yogurt, muffin, snack cake, cornbread, bagel, crackers,
> cheese cubes, etc etc...
>
> and of course somthing to drink, water or milk is the choice
> at our house....once in a while if hes xtra specialy
> deserving a treat he will get a juice box...
>
> Hag k
>

> As a beauty Im not a star, there are
> others more handsome by far, but my
> face I dont mind it because Im behind
> it, its the folks out front that I jar...
>
> Pull a loraine Bobbit (cut off waynespenis) to reply

Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:34:30 GMT,
Jimmy Tango > wrote:

>> Sandwiches is an obvious one, but also Pizza slice
>> (leftover), Hot pockets (Homemade), burritos or wraps, PB&J
>> Tortilla rollups or meat & Cheese varietys of it, fried
>> chicken legs, Corndog, chicken pojarski pattys, cheese or
>> peperoni bread, etc etc...

> I take it that this child weighs about 180 lbs?

Nope. The last I saw of him, he was a very normal kid, actually
a bit on the skinny side with the sweetest blue eyes I've ever seen on
anyone except his demonic little brother. Of course, he strikes me as
a very active child, and judging from his parents, he's struck it
lucky in the genetics department, too. Both his parents can seriously
pack away the food like nobody's business and have barely a belly to
show for it. <g>

Ariane

Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:21:05 GMT,
j*ni p. > wrote:

> Refrigeration issues? If so, those little "fake ice" blocks are really
> handy...

Yeah, especially in combination with those great insulated
lunch bags they have nowadays. But even before those two were as
popular as they are now, my mother would freeze the little juice box,
put it in a sandwich bag and put the sandwich and everything else on
top in our brown bag lunches. By lunchtime, the drink was thawed
enough to drink (or hey, we had a slushie with lunch!) and everything
was kept nicely cold.

Ariane

j*ni p.

Hark! I heard Ariane Jenkins > say:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:21:05 GMT,
> j*ni p. > wrote:

> > Refrigeration issues? If so, those little "fake ice" blocks are really
> > handy...

> Yeah, especially in combination with those great insulated
> lunch bags they have nowadays. But even before those two were as
> popular as they are now, my mother would freeze the little juice box,
> put it in a sandwich bag and put the sandwich and everything else on
> top in our brown bag lunches. By lunchtime, the drink was thawed
> enough to drink (or hey, we had a slushie with lunch!) and everything
> was kept nicely cold.

Yup, that's a good idea too. Unfortunately, back when I was in
grade school (late 60's, early 70's), they either didn't have
juice boxes or Mom wouldn't buy them. (I suspect the former.)
I wound up eating many a bologna, tuna, or meatloaf sandwich
with warm mayonaisse on it. Bleah...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Sylvia

> Why no tuna?

Any fish or meat can go bad too quickly for me to risk my kids' health on.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Frogleg

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:31:52 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

> > What would you pack for it for lunch?

>What does he like?
>
>Peanut butter sandwich, a baggie of baby carrots, a piece of fruit, an
>individual container of 100% fruit juice.
>
>Could be a jelly sandwich or cream cheese sandwich or sliced cheese
>sandwich. No tuna or anything with mayonnaise, of course.

What's this thing about "baby" (lathed/carved from larger) carrots? In
my school menu research, these turn up on US menus all across the
country. Plus "dip," of course.

As a kid, I found a food hint and convinced my mother to freeze a can
of juice which, wrapped in a napkin and foil, provided a mini-cold pak
for my brown-bag lunch.

Millions of kids brought tunafish sandwiches for lunch and I don't
recall any incidents of food poisoning. IMHO, (commercial, pastuized)
mayo isn't any more lethal than lunch meat or cheese -- at least over
a 3-4 hr period. Kids trade anyhow. I've always been fond of tunafish,
and regularly took over the Friday lunches of Catholic kids, who hated
it.

Sylvia

> What's this thing about "baby" (lathed/carved from larger) carrots?

I don't think they *are* "carved from larger carrots," they're just
harvested at a fairly early stage. They're smaller than regular
carrots, don't need scraping, and seem (to me, at least) a little
sweeter. Since they don't need scraping, they're very convenient to eat.

> convinced my mother to freeze a can of juice

Great cold pack, as you noted. Should keep your tuna sandwith with mayo
adequately chilled to keep anything nasty from growing.

> Millions of kids brought tunafish sandwiches for lunch and I don't

recall any incidents of food poisoning.

There have been plenty. Check the archives of your local newspaper.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Al Sez

Have you thought of asking the kid what she (or he) wants? Then filter that
through a bit of parental indulgence and then a bit of common sense and you
might have a pretty good lunch!

"Erika" > wrote in message

> If you had a nine year old kid who was gyoing on a school outing.
> What would you pack for it for lunch?
>
> /Erika
>
> The first ten years of your life you try to be just like your parents.
> Then for then years you try to be as little as your parents as possible.
> Then you gradually change in to them.

Frogleg

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:49:48 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

> > What's this thing about "baby" (lathed/carved from larger) carrots?

>I don't think they *are* "carved from larger carrots," they're just
>harvested at a fairly early stage. They're smaller than regular
>carrots, don't need scraping, and seem (to me, at least) a little
>sweeter. Since they don't need scraping, they're very convenient to eat.

Real "baby carrots" are a treat. That is, regular carrots harvested at
an immature stage. However, school menu and supermarket bagged "baby
carrots" are a different animal.

See:

http://www.dole.com/utilities/faq.freshveg.jsp#mini

They're obviously a convenience food of considerable popularity, and
carrots, however processed, are Good for You, so I shouldn't really
quarrel. Better a "baby" carrot than a chicken "nugget." :-)
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Sylvia" > wrote in message

> I don't think they *are* "carved from larger carrots," they're just
> harvested at a fairly early stage. They're smaller than regular
> carrots, don't need scraping, and seem (to me, at least) a little
> sweeter. Since they don't need scraping, they're very convenient to eat.

Baby-cut carrots are regular carrots that have been cut to look like baby
carrots. If the bag says "baby-cut", then they aren't really baby carrots.
Unfortunately, too many people out there don't bother reading the bags so
they don't know the difference and think both are baby carrots. IME, there
is usually quite a difference in flavour.

rona

Sylvia

Default Baby carrots

> school menu and supermarket bagged "baby carrots" are a different animal.

I don't know about school carrots, but the baby carrots I buy at the
supermarket ARE different from the regular-sized carrots. There is a
clear stem- and leaf-end and the noticeable woody area in the middle of
larger carrots is missing. Plus, as I said earlier, they taste
noticeably sweeter. I can't speak for anywhere else, but I really think
the baby carrots sold here are really BABY carrots.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Dave Smith

Sylvia wrote:

> > school menu and supermarket bagged "baby carrots" are a different animal.

> I don't know about school carrots, but the baby carrots I buy at the
> supermarket ARE different from the regular-sized carrots. There is a
> clear stem- and leaf-end and the noticeable woody area in the middle of
> larger carrots is missing. Plus, as I said earlier, they taste
> noticeably sweeter. I can't speak for anywhere else, but I really think
> the baby carrots sold here are really BABY carrots.

The "baby carrots" that we get in stores here are a variety of carrot that, when
mature, are short and stubby. They are fully grown. They are not just large
carrots that were picked before their time.

Frogleg

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:23:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Sylvia wrote:
>
>> > school menu and supermarket bagged "baby carrots" are a different animal.

>> I don't know about school carrots, but the baby carrots I buy at the
>> supermarket ARE different from the regular-sized carrots. There is a
>> clear stem- and leaf-end and the noticeable woody area in the middle of
>> larger carrots is missing. Plus, as I said earlier, they taste
>> noticeably sweeter. I can't speak for anywhere else, but I really think
>> the baby carrots sold here are really BABY carrots.

>The "baby carrots" that we get in stores here are a variety of carrot that, when
>mature, are short and stubby. They are fully grown. They are not just large
>carrots that were picked before their time.

There *are* varieties of carrots that grow as you describe. However,
as the reference I posted earlier mentioned, so-called 'baby' carrots
come from a long, relatively non-tapered variety that is cut into 2-3"
portions and abraded or milled somehow ("polished") to remove the skin
and form into a small carrot-like shape.

http://www.dole.com/utilities/faq.freshveg.jsp#mini
http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodho...291933,00.html

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Sylvia
> wrote:

> You have some potential problems here unless you're going to pack the
> lunch in some type of thermal container with a freezer pack. Any meat
> can go bad fairly quickly, and dips usually contain mayonnaise. They
> *might* still be okay but I sure wouldn't take that chance with my kids'
> health.

I have gotten paranoid, since growing up and cooking my own meals,
about food poisoning, but surely I am not the only person to have
survived a childhood with meat sandwiches containing mayonnaise and hard
boiled eggs and yogurt in my lunches. I agree that it's better to use
the thermal sacks, ice packs and whatnot, but I don't think that it's as
big a risk to their health as we might think if they don't have them.
After all, lunch is usually two to three hours after they get to school.
And at this time of year, it is usually cool outside and in the schools.
My drinks were almost always still cold by the time I had lunch at
school, even when they weren't milk in a thermos.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Freezing Vac packed Brisket? RockPyle Barbecue 18 30-10-2009 05:49 PM
Suggestion for packed lunch n o s p a m p l e a s e Vegan 3 11-01-2007 10:47 PM
Typical SC Chocolate 0 23-02-2004 10:03 PM
vegetarian packed lunch ideas Clare Vegetarian cooking 15 15-11-2003 10:08 AM