Can Soy milk be frozen?

Old 05-10-2003, 05:36 PM
TOM KAN PA
Usenet poster

Default Can Soy milk be frozen?

My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
freezer?
If so, for how long?

Old 05-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Herself
Usenet poster

TOM KAN PA wrote:

My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk
which is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this
week as a BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me
put them in my freezer? If so, for how long?

I think the containers might burst if you freeze them...the stuff I buy
isn't refridged, it sits on the shelf til it's opened, then in the
fridge.

She might want to try Rice Dream, which in addition to being tasty, has
less chance of a soy allergy being created and can also sit on the shelf
until it's opened.
--
'Tis Herself
Old 05-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Deepak Saxena
Usenet poster

In article ,
TOM KAN PA wrote:

My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
freezer?

I'm not an expert on this but I would highly recomend against this
since the solids and the water will separate during the defrosting
process. If she does decide to try it once though, i would pour it
into a separate container as the store-bought container will probably
explode during expansion.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net
Old 06-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Arri London
Usenet poster

TOM KAN PA wrote:

My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
freezer?
If so, for how long?

Yes, easily.
Don't freeze it in the original container, which might not have enough
room for expansion.
Thaw it in the fridge and shake before using, as one would do with cow's
milk.
Not certain of the longest it can be kept in freezer. We never have it
for more than 2 months.

Soy milk is easy to make and soy beans are cheap. The mother could make
a batch once a week quite cheaply and without much work.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Jack Schidt®
Usenet poster

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk

which
is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them

in my
freezer?
If so, for how long?

Look at the exp dates. Most brands will last a year unopened.

Jack Soy (Jack I am)