FoodBanter.com

-   -   Can Soy milk be frozen? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1115-can-soy-milk-frozen.html)

TOM KAN PA 05-10-2003 05:36 PM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
freezer?
If so, for how long?

Herself 05-10-2003 08:24 PM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

TOM KAN PA > wrote:

> My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk
> which is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this
> week as a BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me
> put them in my freezer? If so, for how long?

I think the containers might burst if you freeze them...the stuff I buy
isn't refridged, it sits on the shelf til it's opened, then in the
fridge.

She might want to try Rice Dream, which in addition to being tasty, has
less chance of a soy allergy being created and can also sit on the shelf
until it's opened.
--
'Tis Herself

Deepak Saxena 05-10-2003 10:17 PM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

In article >,
TOM KAN PA > wrote:

>My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
>is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
>BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
>freezer?

I'm not an expert on this but I would highly recomend against this
since the solids and the water will separate during the defrosting
process. If she does decide to try it once though, i would pour it
into a separate container as the store-bought container will probably
explode during expansion. :)

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - - http://www.plexity.net

Arri London 06-10-2003 12:06 AM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

TOM KAN PA wrote:

> My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
> is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
> BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
> freezer?
> If so, for how long?

Yes, easily.
Don't freeze it in the original container, which might not have enough
room for expansion.
Thaw it in the fridge and shake before using, as one would do with cow's
milk.
Not certain of the longest it can be kept in freezer. We never have it
for more than 2 months.

Soy milk is easy to make and soy beans are cheap. The mother could make
a batch once a week quite cheaply and without much work.

Jack Schidt® 06-10-2003 03:22 AM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

"TOM KAN PA" > wrote in message
> My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk

which
> is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
> BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them

in my
> freezer?
> If so, for how long?

Look at the exp dates. Most brands will last a year unopened.

Jack Soy (Jack I am)

-L. 06-10-2003 09:42 AM

Can Soy milk be frozen?

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message >...
> My grandson has an allergy to dairy products. His mom has him on Soy milk which
> is very expensive. The local supermarket has the 1/2 gallon this week as a
> BOGO, save up to $4.78. Could she stock up and keep and have me put them in my
> freezer?
> If so, for how long?

Fresh soy milk can be frozen - I have never tried it with
canned/packaged. You might want to post this in alt.food.vegan.

-L.