Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sweet potato pie and drifting process

I so hate recipies.

Thanksgiving, the hosting cousin asked my mother if I was able to make a
pumpkin pie (I may have told the first part of this story before, but
there is more).

The stupidest of my cats could follow the Libby's lable . I was
insulted, but they got exactly what they wanted, in a store-bought
crust. And they were satisfied, but thought the additon of walnuts was
a bit exotic. No victory for me.

Christmas, a different hosting cousin and no request. I thought to do
something a little bit different, without challenging their tastes.

Sweet potato. Browsed epicurious. Considered someone's advice here
about a simple substitution on the Libby's. Tried to remember how I did
it last time. Then just dived in.

Roasted the yams for a while, then boiled them. Threw in a few white
potatoes because - I don't know what I was thinking - maybe because I
don't like things too sweet. Looked at the can for advice, but not in
the mood for canned milk. Figured eggs might help it set. A couple of
eggs, some sourcream and enough milk to work the consistancy. And a
banana, because there was a bunch sitting in front of me. Nutmeg,
ginger, just a little cinnamon. Then thought it wan't sweet enough, but
couldn't find the brown sugar. Found some molasses and caved and threw
in a few T of table sugar. It'll have to age a day or so before the
gathering, but we'll see how it goes. It looks like a pie, but bland.
In spite of my sweetness thing, now I'm thinking of stopping en route
for some mini marshmellows, and commandeering the cousin's oven for long
enough to melt them on top.

A good side step, though. Draining the potatoes, the liquid looked too
good to waste. I made soup for tonight. Too lazy to get real broth, I
used chicken bullion. Roasted garlic leftover from last night. Mostly,
that's it. Maybe some random spices fell in.

Way sweeter than I expected. A dollop of sourcream in the bowl was
enough to fix it.

Wern't a bad thing.

gaz
Posted to rec.food.cooking