Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default turkey temperature

I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year I'm
not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put the
thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
thermometer there for 5 hours?

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year I'm
> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put the
> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
> thermometer there for 5 hours?

Assuming it is an oven type meat thermometer rather than an instant read
one....sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year I'm
> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put the
> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
> thermometer there for 5 hours?
>
> elaine

What temp are you cooking the turkey at?

5 hours?

Must be a helluva big turkey, or you like dried out shoe leather. :-(

We dropped the approximate timing to 10 minutes per lb. years ago as we
got tired of dried out birds, or 160 degrees finished using a
thermometer.

We use 375 degrees as the oven temp.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "elaine" > wrote:
>
>> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year
>> I'm
>> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put
>> the
>> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
>> thermometer there for 5 hours?
>>
>> elaine

> What temp are you cooking the turkey at?
>
> 5 hours?
>
> Must be a helluva big turkey, or you like dried out shoe leather. :-(
>
> We dropped the approximate timing to 10 minutes per lb. years ago as we
> got tired of dried out birds, or 160 degrees finished using a
> thermometer.
>
> We use 375 degrees as the oven temp.

Well the recipe said 325 degrees . Anf for a 20 lb turkey - which is what I
have - it should take 41/2 to 43/4 hours unstuffed and should be 165 degrees
on the thermometer. I've only been using a thermometer for a couple of
months. In fact the last time I used it (about a month ago) - it didn't
seem to be working. Found out the next morning when I went to wash it, that
the plastic thingy was still on it. Duh!!

I don't usually fret about my cooking but my sister in law suggested that I
leave lots of time to cook the turkey - which is why I looked it up. I told
her not to worry I had it under control. I nice way of telling her to shut
up! Last couple of years I've brined but decided not to do that this year.

Anyway, I want it to be perfect!

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year

I'm
> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put the
> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
> thermometer there for 5 hours?
>
> elaine

=============
Yes, you can leave those meat thermometers in for the length of the time,
but not an instant thermometer.
I use a digital thermometer, and I have great luck with that. That is all I
use now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year

> I'm
>> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put
>> the
>> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
>> thermometer there for 5 hours?
>>
>> elaine

> =============
> Yes, you can leave those meat thermometers in for the length of the time,
> but not an instant thermometer.
> I use a digital thermometer, and I have great luck with that. That is all
> use now.

I'm pretty sure mine is an instant. Thanks,

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "elaine" > wrote:
> >
> >> I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year
> >> I'm
> >> not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put
> >> the
> >> thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
> >> thermometer there for 5 hours?
> >>
> >> elaine

> > What temp are you cooking the turkey at?
> >
> > 5 hours?
> >
> > Must be a helluva big turkey, or you like dried out shoe leather. :-(
> >
> > We dropped the approximate timing to 10 minutes per lb. years ago as we
> > got tired of dried out birds, or 160 degrees finished using a
> > thermometer.
> >
> > We use 375 degrees as the oven temp.

> Well the recipe said 325 degrees . Anf for a 20 lb turkey - which is what I
> have - it should take 41/2 to 43/4 hours unstuffed and should be 165 degrees
> on the thermometer. I've only been using a thermometer for a couple of
> months. In fact the last time I used it (about a month ago) - it didn't
> seem to be working. Found out the next morning when I went to wash it, that
> the plastic thingy was still on it. Duh!!
>
> I don't usually fret about my cooking but my sister in law suggested that I
> leave lots of time to cook the turkey - which is why I looked it up. I told
> her not to worry I had it under control. I nice way of telling her to shut
> up! Last couple of years I've brined but decided not to do that this year.
>
> Anyway, I want it to be perfect!
>
> elaine

I understand... but I tend to ere on the side of caution. Once a turkey
is overcooked, it's ruined. If it comes out slightly under-done, you can
always nuke individual portions.

That's my philosophy anyway. ;-) Mom ruined turkeys three years in a row
by following conventional recipes. Finally, she cut the recommended
cooking time by 30% and they started coming out "perfect".

I did a 17 lb. turkey on thanksgiving at 375 and checked it at 1 hour
and 50 minutes. The meat was well retracted from the drumsticks and I
was afraid that it was overdone, but it turned out perfect...

but I was using a table top oven. They DO cook faster and turn out
moister meat.

Be sure to cross-reference and not look at just _one_ preparation method.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> I did a 17 lb. turkey on thanksgiving at 375 and checked it at 1 hour
> and 50 minutes.

Sorry, make that 2 hours and 50 minutes.

I've only had about 12 hours sleep this whole week.....
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
>I can't believe that I'm looking up how to cook a turkey, but this year I'm
>not going to brine it - just roast. The directions I found say to put the
>thermometer in the thigh. Silly question, but is it ok to leave the
>thermometer there for 5 hours?
>
> elaine

Not if it is the quick-read variety with the platic lens (the kind that
often have the pocket clip). You may use the more heavy duty variety. They
are ususally bigger, sometimes have a red arrow that moves around the
outside to set where you want to finish. They have a glass lens.
--

Yours,
Dan S.

-Merry Christmas

Turkey Temperature isw General Cooking 9 12-11-2011 05:50 AM
What temperature do I smoke a turkey at? Yoo Momma General Cooking 7 22-11-2006 06:42 PM
Quick and Easy Turkey Gravy using Home Made Turkey Stock Duckie ® Recipes 0 01-11-2005 01:21 AM
Poll: Is it a bad idea to add leftover turkey juice gravy to turkey stock? I didn't drink the punch. General Cooking 2 09-12-2003 05:53 PM
Lost turkey recipe (skin wrapped stuffed boneless turkey) jammer General Cooking 3 23-11-2003 01:05 AM