Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pastry flans

I have made these for a number of years - often with mixed success!
I seem to find that recipes that call for a wettish filling (i.e. eggs
or a liquidy custard) to be inserted into an uncooked pastry flan case
are the least likely to be successful. The filling often leaks and
the pastry case winds up uncooked on the bottom.

I use a loose-botom flan tin, with fluted sides.

Recently I have made some flan cases (to be used over the
holidayperiod) by adopting the following method. I make the pastry
without any rising agent (baking powder). I chill it well - often
overnight - before using it. I also chill the bowl I am going to mix
the pastry in before I start the process, and I use straight-up
all-purpose flour and an even amount of pork lard and butter (to 8 oz
flour I use 4oz total of fat and 1 tsp salt). I pulse this in a mini-
processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Remove and
add about one-third cup of iced water. Mix with a knife and knead
quickly to form the pastry, which is then wrapped in cling-wrap and
chilled in the refrigerator.

The above method seems to be the recommended one. I think my problem
lies in the cooking process. When making the pastry flan case I line
the flan tin by folding the rolled-out pastry without stretching and
allow all the extra pastry to hang over (I cut this off when cooked).
I then prick the bottom all over with a fork and place another baking
tin to fit and half-fill with cooking beans.

I have already heated a baking sheet in the oven onto which I place
the flan tin complete with its insert!

I cook this in the middle of the fan oven at about 180deg C (350 F)
for 12 -14 minutes, remove the tin insert and beans from the flan tin
and bake a further 8 minutes. The base is often not quite cooked, but
the sides are well browned. The bottom and sides do not puff up,
which is one plus.

Should I continue longer at the final stage of baking - and how long
please? Perhaps I should lower the temperature at this end stage so
the bottom cooks and the sides don't brown any longer.

Or should I do the whole thing longer at a slightly lower temperature?

Help please - and joyous Festive Greetings to all.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Daisy wrote:
> I have made these for a number of years - often with mixed success!
> I seem to find that recipes that call for a wettish filling (i.e. eggs
> or a liquidy custard) to be inserted into an uncooked pastry flan case
> are the least likely to be successful. The filling often leaks and
> the pastry case winds up uncooked on the bottom.
>
> I use a loose-botom flan tin, with fluted sides.
>
> Recently I have made some flan cases (to be used over the
> holidayperiod) by adopting the following method. I make the pastry
> without any rising agent (baking powder). I chill it well - often
> overnight - before using it. I also chill the bowl I am going to mix
> the pastry in before I start the process, and I use straight-up
> all-purpose flour and an even amount of pork lard and butter (to 8 oz
> flour I use 4oz total of fat and 1 tsp salt). I pulse this in a mini-
> processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Remove and
> add about one-third cup of iced water. Mix with a knife and knead
> quickly to form the pastry, which is then wrapped in cling-wrap and
> chilled in the refrigerator.
>
> The above method seems to be the recommended one. I think my problem
> lies in the cooking process. When making the pastry flan case I line
> the flan tin by folding the rolled-out pastry without stretching and
> allow all the extra pastry to hang over (I cut this off when cooked).
> I then prick the bottom all over with a fork and place another baking
> tin to fit and half-fill with cooking beans.
>
> I have already heated a baking sheet in the oven onto which I place
> the flan tin complete with its insert!
>
> I cook this in the middle of the fan oven at about 180deg C (350 F)
> for 12 -14 minutes, remove the tin insert and beans from the flan tin
> and bake a further 8 minutes. The base is often not quite cooked, but
> the sides are well browned. The bottom and sides do not puff up,
> which is one plus.
>
> Should I continue longer at the final stage of baking - and how long
> please? Perhaps I should lower the temperature at this end stage so
> the bottom cooks and the sides don't brown any longer.
>
> Or should I do the whole thing longer at a slightly lower temperature?
>
> Help please - and joyous Festive Greetings to all.
>

> Daisy

If I'm blind baking a crust, I don't dock it first (prick it all over).
I line the crust with parchment and fill it with beans - bake until
the edges/sides look like how I want them for that stage - then remove
the beans, brush the crust all over with slightly beaten egg white, and
return to the oven for a final 3 or so minutes - until the egg white
is dried. This should prevent the crust from getting soggy when you
bake custard in it.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2006 07:20:16 -0800, "Nancy2" >
wrote:

>If I'm blind baking a crust, I don't dock it first (prick it all over).
> I line the crust with parchment and fill it with beans - bake until
>the edges/sides look like how I want them for that stage - then remove
>the beans, brush the crust all over with slightly beaten egg white, and
>return to the oven for a final 3 or so minutes - until the egg white
>is dried. This should prevent the crust from getting soggy when you
>bake custard in it.

Great idea! Would that work for apple and pumpkin pies too?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2006 07:20:16 -0800, "Nancy2" >
> wrote:
>
> >If I'm blind baking a crust, I don't dock it first (prick it all over).
> > I line the crust with parchment and fill it with beans - bake until
> >the edges/sides look like how I want them for that stage - then remove
> >the beans, brush the crust all over with slightly beaten egg white, and
> >return to the oven for a final 3 or so minutes - until the egg white
> >is dried. This should prevent the crust from getting soggy when you
> >bake custard in it.

> Great idea! Would that work for apple and pumpkin pies too?

I've never blind baked a crust for apple pie - seems wrong somehow.
Pumpkin, yes. It's essentially a baked custard pie.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Dec 2006 11:19:13 -0800, "Nancy2" >
wrote:

>I've never blind baked a crust for apple pie

I guess the only kind would be a single crusted one like a dutch
crunch.

--
See return address to reply by email

Oil pastry Tim w General Cooking 6 11-05-2015 05:48 AM
Becoming a Pastry Chef neha123 General Cooking 1 26-06-2010 10:54 AM
Tarts/Flans/Pies Old Mother Ashby General Cooking 2 04-02-2006 06:48 PM
Appropriate pastry bag for ingredients Dee Randall Baking 7 22-06-2005 08:34 AM
Low fat pastry sandy General Cooking 27 29-08-2004 10:07 PM