Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default caramel vs butterscotch

Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.

Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
you make them. So what is?

Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
> But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
> ( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
> decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>
> Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
> I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
> caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
> caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
> you make them. So what is?

> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

Butterscotch is mostly brown sugar and butter. Caramel candy is milk
and/or cream mixed with regular sugar and sometimes corn syrup and
cooked until it reaches a certain temperature (between 245°F and
248°F ). The mixture takes on the typical brown caramel color and
flavor as it cooks. Caramel can also refer to just plain melted white
sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thaddeus L Olczyk wrote:
> Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.

That's very vague, there are many, MANY types of caramel, with even
more uses.

> But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
> ( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
> decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>
> Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
> I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
> caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
> caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
> you make them. So what is?

BUTTERscotch is a good clue.

Perhaps if you identified the dish folks would be able to offer more
than wild speculation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:31:29 -0600, Thaddeus L Olczyk >
wrote:

>Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
>But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
>( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
>decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>
>Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
>I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
>caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
>caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
>you make them. So what is?

If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
recipe. I've made too many batches of caramel was only good for
pulling the fillings out of your teeth. Ugh. Caramel seems simple,
but it's actually very hard to make. It's good enough to coat apples
(my main reason for making it), but for just plain eating - it's
terrible.

I'd like to make at least one bacth in my lifetime that's good enough
to coat in chocolate.

TIA

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:31:29 -0600, Thaddeus L Olczyk >
> wrote:
>
>> Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
>> But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
>> ( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
>> decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>>
>> Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
>> I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
>> caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
>> caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
>> you make them. So what is?
>>

> If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
> recipe. I've made too many batches of caramel was only good for
> pulling the fillings out of your teeth. Ugh. Caramel seems simple,
> but it's actually very hard to make. It's good enough to coat apples
> (my main reason for making it), but for just plain eating - it's
> terrible.
>
> I'd like to make at least one bacth in my lifetime that's good enough
> to coat in chocolate.
>
> TIA

I've only made it once, and it turned out good. (I wonder if I just got
lucky with it) I used the recipe in the BH&G Cookbook. Let me see if I
can find it...

Caramels
(from Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, 1981)

1 cup butter or margarine
1 pound brown sugar (2 1/4 cups, packed)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Generously butter a 9x9x2" pan; set aside. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan
melt the butter. Add sugar and a dash of salt; stir thoroughly. Stir in
corn syrup. Gradually add condensed milk; stir constantly. Cook over
medium hear, stirring occasionally, to 245° (firm-ball stage) for 15 ro 20
minutes. Mixture should boil gently over entire surface. Remove from heat;
stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered pan. When cool, cut into squares with
a wet, sharp knife. Wrap pieces in clear plastic. Makes 2½ pounds.

--
Best regards,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:50:41 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to make at least one bacth in my lifetime that's good enough
>> to coat in chocolate.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>I've only made it once, and it turned out good. (I wonder if I just got
>lucky with it) I used the recipe in the BH&G Cookbook. Let me see if I
>can find it...
>

>Caramels
>(from Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, 1981)
>
>1 cup butter or margarine
>1 pound brown sugar (2 1/4 cups, packed)
>1 cup light corn syrup
>1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
>1 tsp. vanilla
>
>Generously butter a 9x9x2" pan; set aside. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan
>melt the butter. Add sugar and a dash of salt; stir thoroughly. Stir in
>corn syrup. Gradually add condensed milk; stir constantly. Cook over
>medium hear, stirring occasionally, to 245° (firm-ball stage) for 15 ro 20
>minutes. Mixture should boil gently over entire surface. Remove from heat;
>stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered pan. When cool, cut into squares with
>a wet, sharp knife. Wrap pieces in clear plastic. Makes 2½ pounds.

Thanks! That looks easy enough.... if nothing else, it'll be an
easier version for my caramel apples.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 01:31:29 -0600, Thaddeus L Olczyk >
> wrote:
>
>> Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
>> But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at
>> making ( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so
>> I decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>>
>> Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
>> I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
>> caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
>> caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
>> you make them. So what is?
>>

> If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
> recipe. I've made too many batches of caramel was only good for
> pulling the fillings out of your teeth. Ugh. Caramel seems simple,
> but it's actually very hard to make. It's good enough to coat apples
> (my main reason for making it), but for just plain eating - it's
> terrible.
>
> I'd like to make at least one bacth in my lifetime that's good enough
> to coat in chocolate.
>
> TIA

I make fleur de sel caramels, dip them in dark chocolate, and sprinkle with
alder-smoked sea salt. They are selling rapidly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:15:39 GMT, "Janet Puistonen"
> wrote:

>I make fleur de sel caramels, dip them in dark chocolate, and sprinkle with
>alder-smoked sea salt. They are selling rapidly.

thank you. I bookmarked the Epicurious recipe.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:03:36 -0800, sf wrote:

>If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
>recipe.

Have you never tried the old "boil the can" method with condensed
milk? That's the absolute best caramel I've ever had.

(My sister always says: "It just wouldn't be Christmas without the can
of condensed milk boiling away on the back burner.")

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:23:46 -0500, Jo Anne Slaven
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:03:36 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
>>recipe.

>Have you never tried the old "boil the can" method with condensed
>milk? That's the absolute best caramel I've ever had.

No. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that.

>(My sister always says: "It just wouldn't be Christmas without the can
>of condensed milk boiling away on the back burner.")

LOL! I bet your didn't do it, your sister did.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:23:46 -0500, Jo Anne Slaven
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:03:36 -0800, sf wrote:
>>
>>>If you ever figure out how to make a decent caramel, please post the
>>>recipe.

>>Have you never tried the old "boil the can" method with condensed
>>milk? That's the absolute best caramel I've ever had.
>>

> No. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that.

Isn't there a different way that's much safer? Something about opening the
lid. I saw it described somewhere once, but forgot to write it down. I
must try it one day.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:35:05 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Jen wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:23:46 -0500, Jo Anne Slaven
>> > wrote:

>>>Have you never tried the old "boil the can" method with condensed
>>>milk? That's the absolute best caramel I've ever had.
>>>

>> No. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that.

>Isn't there a different way that's much safer? Something about opening the
>lid. I saw it described somewhere once, but forgot to write it down. I
>must try it one day.

Buy Carnation Caramel?
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:35:05 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Jen wrote:
>

>><sf> wrote in message ...
>>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 22:23:46 -0500, Jo Anne Slaven

>>> No. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that.

>>Isn't there a different way that's much safer? Something about opening
>>the
>>lid. I saw it described somewhere once, but forgot to write it down. I
>>must try it one day.

> Buy Carnation Caramel?

Never heard of it!

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:35:05 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>>>Have you never tried the old "boil the can" method with condensed
>>>milk? That's the absolute best caramel I've ever had.
>>>

>> No. I'm a big chicken when it comes to that.

>Isn't there a different way that's much safer? Something about opening the
>lid. I saw it described somewhere once, but forgot to write it down. I
>must try it one day.

Yes. Open the can, then cover it tightly with tinfoil. Put it in a
bain-marie and stick it in the oven at 250 for 3-4 hours.

I've never done it this way. I only boil the cans.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Thaddeus L Olczyk > wrote:

> Ok. If I am supposed to have caramel in a dish, then I just buy some.
> But today during the football game, I decided to try my hand at making
> ( microwave ) caramel. The result was of course dreadful, so I
> decided to check on the net and see how I was supposed to make it.
>
> Several recipes I came across used brown sugar.
> I always thought that the main difference between butterscotch and
> caramel is that butterscotch is made from brown sugar and
> caramel from white. That seems not to be the main difference in how
> you make them. So what is?

> Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
> Think twice, code once.

I don't know but if you want a decent caramel, use a candy thermometer
when you cook it -- and make darned sure you calibrate the thermometer
before you start cooking. To do that, put the thermometer into a small
pan with water, bottom not touching the bottom of the pan, but close.
Bring water to a boil and note the temperature at which the water is
boiling -- it should be 212 deg for most folks. If that's it, you know
your thermometer reading will be fine as is when you cook the candy.

Try this -- it takes some watching and some work and it's worth both:

Caramels

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)

Bring sugar, butter, corn syrup and ONE cup of the cream to a rolling
boil. Slowly add the second cup of cream so boiling does not stop. As
temperature increases, reduce heat. Cook to 246 deg for a firm caramel,
maybe to 244 for a softer caramel. Pour into a buttered 9x9" pan - do
not scrape the pan when you pour. Let set until cold; cut with a
buttered knife and wrap.

Makes about 64-72 pieces, depending on how you cut them.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/11, Christmas Gift Assortments

http://jamlady.eboard.com

butterscotch RichD General Cooking 11 18-08-2008 03:52 AM
Butterscotch notbob General Cooking 15 03-04-2008 09:04 PM
Butterscotch Brownies with Caramel Icing Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 12-10-2006 12:41 PM
Butterscotch Pie Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 16-06-2006 04:38 AM
Oatmeal Butterscotch Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-04-2004 02:21 AM