How do I cook a goose breast?

Old 17-12-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default How do I cook a goose breast?

I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

I've read I shouldn't treat it like a duck breast, but I can't find many
recipes. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Old 17-12-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemar...st/detail.aspx

Old 17-12-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

I've read I shouldn't treat it like a duck breast, but I can't find many
recipes. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Hi Doug, these recipes are on uktv food website:
http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/food.recipe/aid/576993
http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/food.recipe/aid/517320

Sarah

Old 17-12-2006, 11:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

Put it in the oven!

Alan

Old 18-12-2006, 06:42 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:08:59 GMT, Doug Weller
wrote:

|I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
|readers).

Thanks I will look at our Lidl on Tuesday.
Old 18-12-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

I love goose. But for that price, they will be intensively reared, I
suppose?
Kathleen Roberts

Old 18-12-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:34:51 GMT, in uk.food+drink.misc, Alan Holmes
wrote:

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
.. .
I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

Put it in the oven!

Bad idea to try to cook frozen meat in the oven. Thanks for being so
unhelpful.

Old 19-12-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Kathleen Roberts wrote:
I love goose. But for that price, they will be intensively reared, I
suppose?
Kathleen Roberts

Almost certainly are unless they say otherwise.

Jane

--

Jane Gillett : : Totnes, Devon.
Old 19-12-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Doug Weller" wrote in message
. ..
I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

Put it in the oven!

Bad idea to try to cook frozen meat in the oven. Thanks for being so
unhelpful.

Yu could defrost it first!

Old 31-12-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

I ended up with this recipe:
Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze
Yields 4 servings.

4 goose breasts
salt to taste
1 dash dry vermouth (optional)
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 orange, juiced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Rinse the breasts in cold water, and place in baking dish. Splash with
vermouth, then season with salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, brown
sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Season with mustard and caraway. Pour glaze
over breasts in baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

I simply put the goose in a crockpot with the ingredients (used port
instead of vermouth), and it was great -- sliced very well too.

Doug

Old 31-12-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

snip
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
and the meat came out beautifully pink.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 31 Dec 2006 22:08:35 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Duncan Booth wrote:

Doug Weller wrote:

Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

snip
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
and the meat came out beautifully pink.

That's certainly the case with duck, it's best pink.

Doug

Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

snip
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
and the meat came out beautifully pink.

I slowcooked it and it came out pink, very nice.
Doug

Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

I slowcooked it and it came out pink, very nice.
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

I was in a restaurant in France and I ordered goose which came out
very, very pink with a healthy halo of blood. I hissed at my husband
that I really couldn't eat it as I was sure I would end up with
mixametosis or even die!! He laughed and told me to look around at the
clientele, all French and obviously all regulars as they were waving
and greeting each other. They must have been in their 80s and older.
My husband said that if they ate this fare and they survived to a great
age, then I should tuck in!

I did, wondering and waiting for the gurgling and explosions to start
in my lower stomach to indicate that I was, as usual, correct about
undercooked pork, chicken, duck and goose - not a sound - no wonder my
family tell me I can't cook.

Judith - at home in England.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"judith lea" wrote:

I was in a restaurant in France and I ordered goose which came out
very, very pink with a healthy halo of blood. I hissed at my husband
that I really couldn't eat it as I was sure I would end up with
mixametosis or even die!! He laughed and told me to look around at
the clientele, all French and obviously all regulars as they were
waving and greeting each other. They must have been in their 80s and
older. My husband said that if they ate this fare and they survived to
a great age, then I should tuck in!

It is quite hard to get reliable facts about the safe temperatures for
cooking. For example, the USDA says that duck and goose must reach an
internal temperature of 165F (74C), and various UK websites I found said
that if not cooked to 70C there was a risk of salmonella.

I think the problem is that there are two variables he not just the
temperature, but also the time the meat is held at that temperature is
important. For simplicity most of the advice is based on the assumption
that the food is heated to a temperature where the bugs are killed almost
instantly, but you can get the same effect by holding it at a lower
temperature for longer.

According to Heston Blumenthal (writing about turkeys, but I think the same
goes for ducks and geese):

All pathogens (those nasty bugs of which salmonella and campylobacter
are just two) are killed if you hold the internal temperature of the
turkey at 60C for a minimum of 12 minutes. You can achieve the same
effect at a lower temperature, though you'd need to maintain the
internal temperature for longer. (By the same token, at a higher
internal temperature, it takes less time.)

Whether that applied also to your French goose breast is of course another
question entirely.

Goose Burnt Food Dude Barbecue 71 14-12-2005 09:33 PM
Need good nonfat way to cook chicken breast. W. Wells General Cooking 15 13-08-2005 03:13 AM
Goose Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 17 20-12-2004 06:54 PM
Quickest way to cook C. Breast? MrAoD General Cooking 13 24-02-2004 12:01 AM