Allister

Default Scratches on the inside of AllClad LTD stainless steel

Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!

I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.
If you shine them in the light you can see all the scrub marks on the
bottom and sides from when they were cleaned. When I rub my finger on
them you can't feel them, nor can you feel the scratches if you run
your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
them.

I was very distressed tonight when I learned they were all scratched
up like this.

Also, why doesn't AllClad want you to put these LTDs in the dishwasher
anyways?

Thank you for your time in helping me, I sure will appreciate all

Thanks again,

-Jaime
Ray M

> your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
> mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
> down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
> them.

Did you buy them to cook with or to look at your reflection?

"Allister" > wrote in message
om...
> Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
>
> I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
> houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
> They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
> scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.
> If you shine them in the light you can see all the scrub marks on the
> bottom and sides from when they were cleaned. When I rub my finger on
> them you can't feel them, nor can you feel the scratches if you run
> your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
> mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
> down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
> them.
>
> I was very distressed tonight when I learned they were all scratched
> up like this.
>
> Also, why doesn't AllClad want you to put these LTDs in the dishwasher
> anyways?
>
> Thank you for your time in helping me, I sure will appreciate all
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Jaime

Edwin Pawlowski

"Allister" > wrote in message
om...
> Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
>
> I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
> houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
> They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
> scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.

They are shot now. Sorry to heat that. I'd just toss them because you won't
even be able to boil water in them now. The bubbles will get caught on the
scratches and overheat.

I really feel bad for you.
Ed

Rick & Cyndi

"Allister" > wrote in message
om...
: Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
:
[...]
========

Hey Jaime,

Have no fear... you can get some Stainless Steel/Metal polish
that should clean up those scratches - even if it is All-Clad.
LOL

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Wertz" >
> Or is my funny bone broken tonight.
>
> -sw

yep

Blair P. Houghton

Allister > wrote:
>Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
>
>I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
>houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
>They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
>scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.
>If you shine them in the light you can see all the scrub marks on the
>bottom and sides from when they were cleaned. When I rub my finger on
>them you can't feel them, nor can you feel the scratches if you run
>your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
>mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
>down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
>them.

They're not ruined, as they're perfectly good for cooking,
but getting the shine back will involve buffing.

>I was very distressed tonight when I learned they were all scratched
>up like this.

If you bought them aftermarket (outlet store, online, etc.)
they may come with those scratches as factory seconds.
I had to send one AC pot back to the online seller because
it showed up with what looked like heavy steel-wool marks
all over the inside.

>Also, why doesn't AllClad want you to put these LTDs in the dishwasher
>anyways?

The LTD series are stainless steel or non-stick on the
inside and hard-anodized aluminum* on the outside.

The detergents used in dishwashers will eat the anodized
aluminum. The detergents used in the sink won't.

--Blair
"Something about cationic and anionic..."

* - The "anodized" part of the aluminum is aluminum that's
been treated to be much harder than ordinary aluminum.
A few molecules below that black layer is plain aluminum
that would look silver if you could get to it, but you
can't, because the hard aluminum layer is harder than
steel. People use steel tools in hard-anodized pans like
Calphalon and think they've scratched the pan, when what
they've done is scraped steel off their tools, leaving
skid-marks.
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Allister at
wrote on 10/4/03 11:16 PM:

> Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
>
> I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
> houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
> They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
> scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.
> If you shine them in the light you can see all the scrub marks on the
> bottom and sides from when they were cleaned. When I rub my finger on
> them you can't feel them, nor can you feel the scratches if you run
> your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
> mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
> down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
> them.
>
> I was very distressed tonight when I learned they were all scratched
> up like this.
>
> Also, why doesn't AllClad want you to put these LTDs in the dishwasher
> anyways?
>
> Thank you for your time in helping me, I sure will appreciate all
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Jaime

this is the perfect example of why i hate all-clad.

some poor soul paid a shitload of money for these stupid things, and now is
upset because they were used and washed, and no longer have the mirror
finish.

hello!
repeat after me.

"they are pots". "they are not objects of art. You're supposed to cook food
in them, not admire them from afar"

See...the original poster is all warped because these friggin things were so
damn expensive, he's scared to use them!

Allister

Thanks for the smart-ass answers to an honest question. I don't cook
that much and was under the impression that if the insides were
scratched that food would stick really good and it would become a
nightmare to clean.

Blair - Thanks for the info on the dishwashers and not coming back
like the other lame comments.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any products that I could use to
polish these up so I can get them back the way they were? I'm
guessing that people do this every now and again to keep them in good
shape?

Thanks again for useful information anyone might post.

-Jaime
Edwin Pawlowski

"Allister" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks for the smart-ass answers to an honest question. I don't cook
> that much and was under the impression that if the insides were
> scratched that food would stick really good and it would become a
> nightmare to clean.

You seemed more concerned that the pots just did not look a shiny as when
new. they are tools for cooking, not mirrors for putting on your makeup.
I'd guess that 80%or more of AllClad buyers are status seekers, not cooks.
Dinner guests should be impressed with your food, not the tools used to
achieve great results.

It is also my job here to be a smart ass. If I did not do so, others would
be disappointed. I try to maintain my reputation as much as possible.
Thank you for noticing.

BTW, what model Volvo do you drive?
Ed

PENMART01

"Allister" wrote
>Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!
>
>I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
>houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
>They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
>scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.

If you actually do some cooking (instead of looking) more and more scratches
will accumulate and pretty soon all the scratches will blend together creating
a very nice "Professional Patina", which of course doubles and even triples the
surface area, making stainless steel cookware far less prone to sticking...
shiny stainless steel makes for the worst possible cookware finish... what you
want is to create (through actual use) a matte finish.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Allister

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message . com>...

> It is also my job here to be a smart ass. If I did not do so, others would
> be disappointed. I try to maintain my reputation as much as possible.
> Thank you for noticing.
>
> BTW, what model Volvo do you drive?

You're welcome. :-)

I drive a 91 Honda.
Blair P. Houghton

Allister > wrote:
>Does anyone have any suggestions on any products that I could use to
>polish these up so I can get them back the way they were? I'm
>guessing that people do this every now and again to keep them in good
>shape?

Usually it's not needed for stainless steel. You can clean
the inside with soap and water and a green plastic scrubber pad.
I let stuck-on animal fat soak in soapy hot water for a few
minutes.

You'll get blue or white stains on the "stainless" steel,
which will come out with a mild oxalic-acid cleanser like
Barkeeper's Friend.

You'll get hard brown baked-on deposits (it's actually
polymerized oil--you've made your own plastic!) on the
outside of stainless that will come off with an SOS pad,
hot water, and a minimum of elbow grease, and it won't
leave scratches on the mirrored outside; I don't need it
on the brushed-finish inside, though I imagine it would
affect the ridge pattern on the finish and make it look
less orderly and more scratchy.

Rough scraping with cooking tools and burner grates will
scratch stainless; there's no way to avoid that, and it's
purely aesthetic.

Normal roughening won't affect cooking at all; if you have
a lot of trouble with sticking, lower the heat, it's probably
too high. Some things you want to stick, so you have lots of
stuck-on goodies to use for gravy.

>Thanks again for useful information anyone might post.

--Blair
"De nada."
Blair P. Houghton

B.Server > wrote:
>Any metal products supply house can point you to a series of abrasives
>that will run from a mat finish through a mirror. I suggest the use
>of a slowspeed power tool to help speed the polishing. Stainlees is
>hard and it will take a good deal of elbow grease to bring them to a
>mirror finish. For light duty, products such as Simichrome will help.

Actually, for the inside, they don't have a mirror finish. The
outsides do, but you can't scratch the outsides by cleaning unless
you use sandpaper or something.

I'd leave them alone. To make them look right again will require
very careful burnishing, with sandpaper or something, to realign
the scratched parts with the rest of the aligned brushed finish,
without removing significant metal that it might change the
cooking characteristics.

--Blair
"Them's the brakes."

Blair P. Houghton

Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>this is the perfect example of why i hate all-clad.
>
>some poor soul paid a shitload of money for these stupid things, and now is
>upset because they were used and washed, and no longer have the mirror
>finish.

I'll be over to dent your pans later.

>hello!
>repeat after me.
>
>"they are pots". "they are not objects of art. You're supposed to cook food
>in them, not admire them from afar"

Unless they are, and you are, and you're wrong.

>See...the original poster is all warped because these friggin things were so
>damn expensive, he's scared to use them!

Mine were damn expensive, and I'm not scared to use
them, nor clean them, but I'd be ****ed if some yobbo
without the proper respect for them scratched them up
and said "they are pots, they are not objects of art,
blah blah blah."

--Blair
"Go stand on a cutting board."
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Blair P. Houghton at
wrote on 10/5/03 6:55 PM:

> Sheryl Rosen > wrote:
>> this is the perfect example of why i hate all-clad.
>>
>> some poor soul paid a shitload of money for these stupid things, and now is
>> upset because they were used and washed, and no longer have the mirror
>> finish.

> I'll be over to dent your pans later.
>
>> hello!
>> repeat after me.
>>
>> "they are pots". "they are not objects of art. You're supposed to cook food
>> in them, not admire them from afar"

> Unless they are, and you are, and you're wrong.
>
>> See...the original poster is all warped because these friggin things were so
>> damn expensive, he's scared to use them!

> Mine were damn expensive, and I'm not scared to use
> them, nor clean them, but I'd be ****ed if some yobbo
> without the proper respect for them scratched them up
> and said "they are pots, they are not objects of art,
> blah blah blah."

But the OP clearly said "someone used them and now they are all scratched"
(paraphrased).

they obviously don't "get" it.

> --Blair
> "Go stand on a cutting board."

Blair P. Houghton

wrote on 10/5/03 6:55 PM:
>> Mine were damn expensive, and I'm not scared to use
>> them, nor clean them, but I'd be ****ed if some yobbo
>> without the proper respect for them scratched them up
>> and said "they are pots, they are not objects of art,
>> blah blah blah."

>But the OP clearly said "someone used them and now they are all scratched"
>(paraphrased).

Usenet's a hell of a thing. It remembers better than
you and I do. Here it is unparaphrased:

"They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what. "

Using them and scratching them are two different processes.

>they obviously don't "get" it.

No, what they get is that someone didn't take care of
expensive and sensitive devices.

If you had a Calphalon pan and a houseguest stuffed
it in the dishwasher, what would you say?

If you had a freshly sharpened knife and someone used it
to slice limes in the stainless-steel sink, how would
you feel?

If you had a brand new microwave oven and someone tossed
a foil-wrapped TV dinner in it and blew out its klystron
tube, to what depths of verbal abuse would you not sink?

--Blair
"My boner is a sacrament."
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Blair P.
Houghton > wrote:

> If you had a brand new microwave oven and someone tossed
> a foil-wrapped TV dinner in it and blew out its klystron
> tube, to what depths of verbal abuse would you not sink?

Well, no KIDDING! You blow out MY klystron, Kiddo, you gonna get some
reaction!! <=8-0)
--
-Barb
kalanamak

Allister wrote:

> Ack! Did my houseguests ruin my AllClad LTD cookware set?!!

No.

> I have a set of AllClad LTD pots/pans. A while back we had some
> houseguests that were here helping us when our first child was born.
> They used the AllClad for cooking and also cleaned them after. They
> scratched the insides of all the pots and pans with who knows what.
> If you shine them in the light you can see all the scrub marks on the
> bottom and sides from when they were cleaned. When I rub my finger on
> them you can't feel them, nor can you feel the scratches if you run
> your fingernail across them. Are these things ruined or can I get my
> mirror finish back? I'd like to buy something kind of polish, sit
> down, and get these things back to the way they were when I bought
> them.

If you accomplish this, be sure to stop using them. Pots get scratches.
I'm rather proud of my heavily used pans. Means I'm a cooker, not a
looker.

> I was very distressed tonight when I learned they were all scratched
> up like this.

If that is so, I suggest you get rid of all mirrors. Seeing what 40
years'll do to your face is much more humbling.

> Also, why doesn't AllClad want you to put these LTDs in the dishwasher
> anyways?

It is the detergent.
blacksalt

Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel T Blake General Cooking 36 30-05-2014 08:43 PM
Stainless Steel Aamira Cooking Equipment 1 06-12-2012 11:03 AM
Stainless Steel DGD Barbecue 8 03-05-2007 05:12 PM
Stainless Steel DGD Barbecue 4 10-04-2007 02:30 AM
Stainless steel Ruddell General Cooking 10 12-01-2005 08:34 AM