Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default milk in meatloaf?

why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
what's the difference between using milk and water?

Thanks
Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

Never heard of using either one. Can you provide the whole recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>
> Thanks
> Scott

It enriches the meatloaf slightly because of its butterfat component. Cream
would do that more, obviously. That's why egg usually is in the recipe.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Scott" > wrote in message
> > why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?

Some recipes include soaking bread in milk, squeezing it out, and
incorporating the bread into the mix.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

================
My mother used to make a stuffed meat loaf and always used milk in the
meat loaf. I saw Emeril Legasse make a meatloaf using milk also. I
would assume that the milk while enriching the meatloaf, blending and
softening the bread crumbs, keeping it moist also holds the meat
together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

I dunno. My BH & G recipe for favorite beef loaf calls for bread
soaked in milk for a couple minutes, and then torn into little bits.
It's a filler, like crumbs. The recipe (I don't have it with me) makes
a great-tasting meatloaf. I would never put water in a meatloaf -
tomato sauce, maybe; milk, definitely (as described), and always a
couple eggs.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Quite a few years ago there used to be a meat loaf recipe using canned milk
on (of course) the canned milk label. I have not seen it in a long time,
but I no longer use much evaporated milk.

Vikki in WA State.

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Scott wrote:
> > why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> > what's the difference between using milk and water?
> >

> > Thanks
> > Scott

> I dunno. My BH & G recipe for favorite beef loaf calls for bread
> soaked in milk for a couple minutes, and then torn into little bits.
> It's a filler, like crumbs. The recipe (I don't have it with me) makes
> a great-tasting meatloaf. I would never put water in a meatloaf -
> tomato sauce, maybe; milk, definitely (as described), and always a
> couple eggs.
>
> N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote

> Scott wrote:
>> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
>> what's the difference between using milk and water?

> My mother used to make a stuffed meat loaf and always used milk in the
> meat loaf. I saw Emeril Legasse make a meatloaf using milk also. I
> would assume that the milk while enriching the meatloaf, blending and
> softening the bread crumbs, keeping it moist also holds the meat
> together.

I've always used milk. Why not add flavor when adding moisture?
Same with meatballs. I wouldn't be interested in using water.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?

I never put either in my meatloaf, so I can't say?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

I've heard of it...I thought it was to keep the meat moist...don't know
why water wouldn't work as well...

--

Real witches don't float so good.
- The Dresden Files

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?

Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
> up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
> and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.

how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?

I've never used milk or water, but judging from the replies some people
think their meatloaf needs added moisture, in which case milk offers
more taste than water. Maybe they use only beef in their loaves, maybe
that's why they need the moisture. I always use beef and pork and
veal, or at least beef and pork, and haven't found a need for added
moisture. I add an egg and just a small bit of bread crumbs to get the
texture I like. Occasionally I will add a bit of canned diced tomatoes
and some of that juice, in which case I probably would add a few more
crumbs. Our meatloaf usually is more for sandwiches than for heating
hot and we like a firm, dense loaf for that. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote

> Dave Smith wrote:

>> Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
>> up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
>> and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.

> how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?

I use those. I just add the milk to the meatloaf mix, I don't know if
it would be very easy to squeeze out breadcrumbs. I dislike cubes of
bread in my meatloaf or meatballs, that's just me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>
>>why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
>>what's the difference between using milk and water?
>>

>>Thanks
>>Scott

> Never heard of using either one. Can you provide the whole recipe?

Often times recipes call for soaking dry bread in milk and then
squeezing it dry before adding it to the meat mix, IMO this adds nothing
to the flavour, i have also stopped adding a raw egg to the mix, but
have started adding pureed cabbage to it.

I like to use a good meat stock to the mix to make it fairly soupy,
allowing it to become very well mixed, but this results in a very fine
grained almost pate like meat loaf, which i like but many people prefer
a "chunkier" meat loaf.

I like the fined grained meat loaf so it can be sliced thin for meat
loaf sandwiches.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote

> I just add the milk to the meatloaf mix, I don't know if
> it would be very easy to squeeze out breadcrumbs. I dislike cubes of
> bread in my meatloaf or meatballs, that's just me.

I tear a couple of pieces of whole wheat bread into tiny bits. I use
milk too, it really improved my meat loaf, as did forgetting about the
tomato and just serving it with brown gravy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Scott wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
> > up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
> > and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.

> how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?

I use those. Or saltine crackers. My meatloaf is ground turkey, bread
crumbs, milk, seasonings, and a little A1 sauce. It's awesome.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?

Adding milk to torn fresh bread and squeezed of excess liquid to
produce a more moist/tender product is WOP style... definitely WOP
style because all others know that meat loaf is two (2) words.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
Adding milk to torn fresh bread and squeezed of excess liquid to produce
a more moist/tender product is WOP style... definitely WOP style because
all others know that meat loaf is two (2) words.
Sheldon
Sheldon, you know absolutely Dick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark DICK wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> Adding milk to torn fresh bread and squeezed of excess liquid to produce
> a more moist/tender product is WOP style... definitely WOP style because
> all others know that meat loaf is two (2) words.
> Sheldon
> Sheldon, you know absolutely Dick.

Mark DICK!

Ahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 13 Dec 2006 05:59:35p, kuvasz guy meant to say...

> -L. wrote:
>> Scott wrote:

>> > how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?

>> I use those. Or saltine crackers. My meatloaf is ground turkey, bread
>> crumbs, milk, seasonings, and a little A1 sauce. It's awesome.
>>
>> -L.

> It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
> which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...

I can't see the point in using milk, either. I have tried it and didn't
like it, though I'd be hard put to explain exactly why. Just something
about it.

My current favorite meatloaf is this one...

* Exported from MasterCook *

13 Crackers Meat Loaf

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 Egg
1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Pound Ground Beef
1/3 Cup Chopped Onion (I use more)
1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper (I use more)
13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard,
salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.

Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.

Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and crushed crackers.

Toss meat mixture together with two forks until all ingredients are well
distributed.

Add reserved egg mixture and mix thoroughly with hands.

Shape into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.

Smooth top and spread 1 tablespoon chili sauce evenly over surface.

Bake in lower third of oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until nicely brown
and juices run clear.

Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to stand 15 minutes
before slicing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> > >

> > > Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
> > > up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
> > > and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.

> > how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?

> I use those. Or saltine crackers. My meatloaf is ground turkey, bread
> crumbs, milk, seasonings, and a little A1 sauce. It's awesome.
>
> -L.

It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Mark DICK wrote:

<snip>

> Mark DICK!
>
> Ahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Looks like Sheldon really enjoyed that DICK. He relishes the thought of it.
Probably liked the sound of it in his mouth, and liked the way it rolled off
his tongue.

If only he knew as much about cooking...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

kuvasz guy wrote:

> It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
> which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...
>
> ..fred

Well it has to add *some* flavor as it contributes proteins and sugar.
I have never made it without so I can't really say if it tastes
different without it or not.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> kuvasz guy wrote:
> >
> > It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
> > which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...
> >
> > ..fred

> Well it has to add *some* flavor as it contributes proteins and sugar.
> I have never made it without so I can't really say if it tastes
> different without it or not.
> -L.

I probably hit the post button too quickly, because I missed the A1
reference... That'll do it flavor wise... Never used turkey -- what
do you use foe spices?

Besides garlic... <lol>

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

kuvasz guy wrote:

> I probably hit the post button too quickly, because I missed the A1
> reference... That'll do it flavor wise... Never used turkey -- what
> do you use foe spices?
>
> Besides garlic... <lol>

Just a little garlic powder - not much, onion powder, grated fresh
onion and fresh green pepper, black pepper, a dash of mixed Italian
seasonings, and that's pretty much it. I don't season it too heavily
as the flavor of the meat really comes out with the A1. It's more
moist than beef, so you will need more bread crumbs than normal. I mix
it up and let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours, then form it in
to two mini-loaves and bake unclovered at 350-375 for an hour or so.
The last 20 minutes I cover it with a layer of A1 and catsup (mixed
1:1), into which I mix pepper, garlic and onion powder. The ground
turkey I use is 7% fat. You want it to brown a bit and form that
lovely crust all over.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

Probably just for something to wet the bread crumbs. I soak canned bread
crumbs in a 1/2 can of condensed milk, it seems to make it easier to get
a good mix and seems to bind the ingredients together to make for easier
slicing without crumbling apart. Just had meatloaf for dinner tonight
and was it ever good.

JD
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MG MG is offline

"Scott" > wrote in message
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

I always add a little milk to both meat loaf recipes as well as meat ball
recipes

I tend to use beef, turkey or chicken mince on its own (ie not mixed with
other meats) and find that the milk results in a "moister" and softer result
while holding the mix together well

oh, and I also use an egg in the mix

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>

> Thanks
> Scott

Milk as opposed to water adds more than moisture, there is a small percentage of
milk-fat as well as the milk solids. The fat will tend to make the texture of
the finished product a little more moist as well as enriching the filler(s) with
the milk solids

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
>> what's the difference between using milk and water?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Scott

> Milk as opposed to water adds more than moisture, there is a small
> percentage of milk-fat as well as the milk solids. The fat will tend to
> make the texture of the finished product a little more moist as well as
> enriching the filler(s) with the milk solids

It makes delicious meatloaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 13 Dec 2006 05:59:35p, kuvasz guy meant to say...
>

> > -L. wrote:

> >> I use those. Or saltine crackers. My meatloaf is ground turkey, bread
> >> crumbs, milk, seasonings, and a little A1 sauce. It's awesome.
> >>
> >> -L.

> > It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like milk
> > which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...

> I can't see the point in using milk, either. I have tried it and didn't
> like it, though I'd be hard put to explain exactly why. Just something
> about it.
>
> My current favorite meatloaf is this one...
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> 13 Crackers Meat Loaf
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 Egg
> 1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
> 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
> 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
> 1/2 Teaspon Salt
> 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
> 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
> 1 Pound Ground Beef
> 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion (I use more)
> 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper (I use more)
> 13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
> 1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce
>
> Preheat oven to 350° F.
>
> Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard,
> salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
>
> Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.
>
> Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and crushed crackers.
>
> Toss meat mixture together with two forks until all ingredients are well
> distributed.
>
> Add reserved egg mixture and mix thoroughly with hands.
>
> Shape into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.
>
> Smooth top and spread 1 tablespoon chili sauce evenly over surface.
>
> Bake in lower third of oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until nicely brown
> and juices run clear.
>
> Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to stand 15 minutes
> before slicing.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

===============
I like that chili sauce idea; I will try that the next time. I usually
use ketchup to moisten the meat loaf, no eggs, mustard powder, poultry
seasoning, lots of salt and pepper, bread crumbs, onion, dash of
worcestershire and all beef. During the final five minutes of cooking,
I top the loaf off with a barbecue sauce that I toss together, and
serve extra sauce on the side. Maybe the chili sauce would be good for
that also instead of making a barbecue sauce.
I notice that you also pat your meat loaf into an oval and put in a
baking dish. I have been doing that for a few years now, and I find it
is so much better than using a loaf pan. The meat loaf does not sit in
the fat while it is cooking and also it cooks more evenly in a larger
pan. The cracker crumb idea never appeals to me; I have heard of using
oatmeal also, and wonder how that would work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Scott" > wrote in message
> >> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> >> what's the difference between using milk and water?
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >> Scott

> > Milk as opposed to water adds more than moisture, there is a small
> > percentage of milk-fat as well as the milk solids. The fat will tend to
> > make the texture of the finished product a little more moist as well as
> > enriching the filler(s) with the milk solids
> >

> It makes delicious meatloaf.

Were only it that simple... adding a bit of milk can only make a slight
improvement to already delicious meat loaf... but if meat loaf is lousy
milk can't help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks for everybody's input

i'm going to try using chili sauce, worcestershire,
season breadcrumbs, ground beef (maybe some pork),
eggs, a little oregano, salt and pepper,onion and MILK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 14 Dec 2006 10:43:57a, pfoley meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Oh pshaw, on Wed 13 Dec 2006 05:59:35p, kuvasz guy meant to say...

>> > It probably is, but I can't see the point of using something like
>> > milk which doesn't add any flavor to the end result...

>> I can't see the point in using milk, either. I have tried it and
>> didn't like it, though I'd be hard put to explain exactly why. Just
>> something about it.
>>
>> My current favorite meatloaf is this one...
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> 13 Crackers Meat Loaf
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 Egg
>> 1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
>> 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
>> 1/2 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
>> 1/2 Teaspon Salt
>> 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
>> 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
>> 1 Pound Ground Beef
>> 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion (I use more)
>> 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Pepper (I use more)
>> 13 Saltine Crackers -- finely crushed
>> 1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce
>>
>> Preheat oven to 350° F.
>>
>> Whisk together the egg, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard,
>> salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
>>
>> Crumble ground beef into large mixing bowl.
>>
>> Add chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and crushed crackers.
>>
>> Toss meat mixture together with two forks until all ingredients are
>> well distributed.
>>
>> Add reserved egg mixture and mix thoroughly with hands.
>>
>> Shape into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.
>>
>> Smooth top and spread 1 tablespoon chili sauce evenly over surface.
>>
>> Bake in lower third of oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until nicely
>> brown and juices run clear.
>>
>> Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Allow to stand 15
>> minutes before slicing.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

> ==============I like that chili sauce idea; I will try that the next
> time. I usually use ketchup to moisten the meat loaf, no eggs, mustard
> powder, poultry seasoning, lots of salt and pepper, bread crumbs, onion,
> dash of worcestershire and all beef. During the final five minutes of
> cooking, I top the loaf off with a barbecue sauce that I toss together,
> and serve extra sauce on the side. Maybe the chili sauce would be good
> for that also instead of making a barbecue sauce.
> I notice that you also pat your meat loaf into an oval and put in a
> baking dish. I have been doing that for a few years now, and I find it
> is so much better than using a loaf pan. The meat loaf does not sit in
> the fat while it is cooking and also it cooks more evenly in a larger
> pan. The cracker crumb idea never appeals to me; I have heard of using
> oatmeal also, and wonder how that would work.

I like making the meatloaf without a loaf pan also because it browns nicely
all over. I tried oatmeal a couple of times and didn't like it. To me, it
gave it a gummy slimy texture, but others here seem to like it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

One thing about pain: It proves you're alive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> thanks for everybody's input
>
> i'm going to try using chili sauce, worcestershire,
> season breadcrumbs, ground beef (maybe some pork),
> eggs, a little oregano, salt and pepper,onion and MILK

Eyyuuu! I would seriously leave out the chili sauce! In my experience, it is
either milk OR tomato products, not both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:

>> > Milk as opposed to water adds more than moisture, there is a small
>> > percentage of milk-fat as well as the milk solids. The fat will tend
>> > make the texture of the finished product a little more moist as well as
>> > enriching the filler(s) with the milk solids
>> >

>> It makes delicious meatloaf.

> Were only it that simple... adding a bit of milk can only make a slight
> improvement to already delicious meat loaf... but if meat loaf is lousy
> milk can't help.

By Holy Jeebus, you are stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> thanks for everybody's input
>>
>> i'm going to try using chili sauce, worcestershire,
>> season breadcrumbs, ground beef (maybe some pork),
>> eggs, a little oregano, salt and pepper,onion and MILK

> Eyyuuu! I would seriously leave out the chili sauce! In my experience, it is
> either milk OR tomato products, not both.

if i had to choose between chili sauce and milk i would choose to use
chili sauce
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

cybercat wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
> > thanks for everybody's input
> >
> > i'm going to try using chili sauce, worcestershire,
> > season breadcrumbs, ground beef (maybe some pork),
> > eggs, a little oregano, salt and pepper,onion and MILK

> Eyyuuu! I would seriously leave out the chili sauce! In my experience, it is
> either milk OR tomato products, not both.

I use milk and a little A1. I don't like chili sauce and I hate eggs
in meatloaf so I's never use either. I think meatloaf, like many
things, is a personal taste. Some people like eggs and other things in
it, others don't.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >

> > Soaking the bread in milk makes a better filler. Cut up or tear
> > up some stale bread, soak it a bit of milk, squeeze the milk out
> > and use it as miller. I do it with meat loaf and meat balls.

> how about soaking the milk with store-bought season bread crumbs?

I suppose you could, but I refuse to pay for bread crumbs. They
are made with stale bread and usually sell for a higher price
that would have been charged for they bread from which they were
made.