Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.

Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
overwhelming, please!

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

I love prime rib! For a stressless, easy side dish, perhaps you might
like to consider an easy salad made from a small wedge of lettuce
sprinkled with bacon bits and served with a nice bleu cheese or ranch
dressing? Maybe include some diced tomatoes? Definitely quick and easy
with no additional cooking involved.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!

Yorkshire pudding.
Roasted carrots and onions.
Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
Large salad
Fruit salad
rolls

> laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
> mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with
> it as far as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get
> stressed out about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3
> days leading into Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as
> possible. Preferably make some things before the 21st and freeze if
> possible. I have a few ideas but none of them seem like they'd compliment
> the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe for chicken broccoli and ziti but is
> that too overhwhelming with the main meal? Should I just do some sort of
> broccoli/cheese casserole? That doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something.
> I'd prefer to do heat and serve things - meaning no steaming on the
> stovetop that day- if possible. No green bean casseroles because a)
> neither my husband or I like it and b) I know none of you would help me if
> i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But
> nothing overwhelming, please!

I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little rosemary
and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies, I
serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels sprouts.
Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of course, freshly
made Yorkshire puddings.

The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.

Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You won't
get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon wine to
deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it coats the
back of a spoon.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> laurie wrote:
>> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
>> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing

mashed
>> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as

far
>> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
>> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading

into
>> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
>> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
>> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful

recipe
>> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
>> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
>> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
>> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
>> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
>> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>>
>> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
>> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But

nothing
>> overwhelming, please!
>>

> Yorkshire pudding.
> Roasted carrots and onions.
> Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
> one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
> serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
> Large salad
> Fruit salad
> rolls
>
>> laurie

YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of chips
(or ice, your call)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:51:02 GMT, "laurie" >
wrote:

>We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
>We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
>potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
>as side dishes.

Creamed spinach is a "natural" side dish.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Dec 2006 20:27:04 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Yorkshire pudding.

I dunno.... when I looked at that post, Yorkshire pudding was on the
list - that's how much it goes with roast beef at xmas.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Laurie,

Try some Honey Glazed Carrots. Carrots are a great complimentary side
to most beef courses.
http://www.gosyro.com/recipes/00004....ed%20C arrots

Charles

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
> rib. We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be
> doing mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else
> to do with it as far as side dishes.

(snippage)
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them
> skimp on the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that
> department. But nothing overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
> rib.
>> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
>> mashed potatoes along with the rib,

Jude,

Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.

Another familiar side dish is asparagus.

Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.

Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.

Have fun,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Jude said...
>
> > We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
> > rib.
> >> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
> >> mashed potatoes along with the rib,

> Jude,
>
> Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
> the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.
>
> Another familiar side dish is asparagus.
>
> Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.
>
> Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Andy

Andy,

I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Jude said...
>>
>> > We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
>> > rib.

>> Jude,
>>
>> Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood

from
>> the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.
>>
>> Another familiar side dish is asparagus.
>>
>> Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.
>>
>> Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.
>>
>> Have fun,
>>
>> Andy

> Andy,
>
> I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
> serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
> Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

Jude,

I meant to reply to Laurie but loaded your post by mistake. Oops!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal?

Yes, it would be very strange to serve a chicken casserole along with a
prime rib.
What's hard about planning some simple yet elegant vegetables to go
along with the beef and mashed potatoes? And perhaps Yorkshire Pudding?
All are very simple to prepare.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Jude said...
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >> Jude said...

> >> Jude,
> >>
> >> Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood

> from
> >> the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.
> >>
> >> Another familiar side dish is asparagus.
> >>
> >> Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.
> >>
> >> Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.
> >>
> >> Have fun,
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Andy,
> >
> > I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
> > serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
> > Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

> Jude,
>
> I meant to reply to Laurie but loaded your post by mistake. Oops!
>
> Andy

excuses, excuses. Ya know, my big sister is named Laurie, so i'm used
to her getting all the attention. =P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" > wrote

> Jude wrote:
>> laurie wrote:

>>> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful

> recipe
>>> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the
>>> main
>>> meal?

Definitely, it just doesn't go. I would steam a bunch of nice asparagus
in the microwave, that's really easy. How about some kind of green bean
almondine, like that? I picture a green vegetable and baked or mashed
potatoes. Just a thought.

>>> No
>>> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b)
>>> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.

That's funny

>> Yorkshire pudding.

> YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!

I have made these popovers from epicurious (thanks, Dams, for looking it up
for me),
and they came out really well. I prefer them to yorkshire pudding, but
that's just me.
I used a muffin pan and filled the cups in a checkerboard pattern.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/11439

Classic Popovers

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously grease six 2/3-cup popover tins
or nine 1/2-cup muffin tins.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and water and add butter in a stream,

whisking. Add flour and salt and whisk mixture until combined well but still

slightly lumpy. Divide batter among tins and bake in lower third of oven 45
minutes.

Cut a slit about 1/2 inch long on top of each popover with a small sharp
knife

and bake 10 minutes more.

Makes 6 large or 9 medium popovers.
Gourmet
January 1996

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Jude,
>>
>> Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
>> the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.
>>
>> Another familiar side dish is asparagus.
>>
>> Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.
>>
>> Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.
>>
>> Have fun,
>>
>> Andy

> Andy,
>
> I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
> serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
> Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

Thanks Andy and Jude,

Mashed are a major request around here and one thing that my 2 small kids
will eat, so mashed it is. Oh, they'll eat the rib, too!

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
> rosemary and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For
> veggies, I serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted
> Brussels sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And
> of course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.
>
> The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
> always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.
>
> Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
> won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon
> wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it
> coats the back of a spoon.
>
> Paul

I did consider red roasted as they are one of my faves and of course go
great with the roast- haven't crossed it off my list yet. I was trying to
choose something my kids like and neither of them like roasted potatoes.

I don't know why I didn't think of yorkshire pudding- it seems so obvious
now- that said, though, none of us have ever had it so I dont know if we'll
like it! Have to try it ahead, I suppose.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "laurie" > wrote in message
>> I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
>> rosemary

> and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies, I
> serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels
> sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of
> course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.
>
> The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
> always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.
>
> Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
> won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon
> wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it
> coats the back of a spoon.
>
> Paul

The gravy sounds great. Oh, I forgot to say, I assume you cook all the
roasted veggies in a separate roasting pan and not mixed in with the rib
juices? I think there would be too much to cook in with the rib.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets
>> as

> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that
> "I
> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
> about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
> want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
> everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
> is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.
>
> Jill

If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My kitchen
isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the sink and on the
stovetop.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message

> Yes, it would be very strange to serve a chicken casserole along with a
> prime rib.
> What's hard about planning some simple yet elegant vegetables to go along
> with the beef and mashed potatoes? And perhaps Yorkshire Pudding?
> All are very simple to prepare.

For whatever reason, I always seem to screw up the veggies. They're like an
afterthought to me I suppose.

I've gotten some great ideas, though, thanks.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> laurie wrote:
>
> Yorkshire pudding.
> Roasted carrots and onions.
> Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
> one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
> serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
> Large salad
> Fruit salad
> rolls
>
>> laurie

Roasted potatoes, carrots and onion seem to be the way to go. I did have a
tomato casserole on my "list" but wasn't sure if it would "go" with the rib.
You think it would? I will definitely do a salad. Thanks.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend >>>
>>>

> YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
> yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
> make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of
> chips
> (or ice, your call)
>
> --
> .:Heather:.

I'm making prime rib and yorkshire pudding and you're bringing
CHIPS???????????? How about some shrimp cocktail instead????? <smile>

laurie

> www.velvet-c.com
> I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just
> driving
> by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> Jude,
>
> Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
> the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.
>
> Another familiar side dish is asparagus.
>
> Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.
>
> Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Andy

I did consider asparagus as that seemed naturally elegant but unfortunately
noone here likes it, so that kind of crosses it off the list.

The salad is perfect because I can delegate that. Just not to my mother in
law who doesn't wash the lettuce.

I've never done popovers. Interesting idea. Thanks.

laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie said...

> Roasted potatoes, carrots and onion seem to be the way to go. I did
> have a tomato casserole on my "list" but wasn't sure if it would "go"
> with the rib. You think it would? I will definitely do a salad. Thanks.
>
> laurie

laurie,

You just reminded me. Caramelized onions and LOT'S of them! Easy and
flavorful. There's just something yummy about them with steak!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower
>>> florets as

>> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of
>> that "I
>> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so
>> irritates me about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces
>> required unless you want to; just vegetables with butter, salt &
>> pepper. I often wonder why everyone thinks holiday dishes have to
>> be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself is very nice; simplicity should
>> accompany it.
>>
>> Jill

> If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My
> kitchen isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the
> sink and on the stovetop.
>
> laurie

My kitchen is a matchbox. You should let the prime rib roast set for about
10-15 minutes (tented under foil) on a board next to the stove before you
slice it. Steam the veggies on the stovetop while that's happening. Maybe
heat some pre-bought dinner rolls in the already hot oven at the same time.
Slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Spoon the steamed veggies
into serving dishes. Put the rolls on a plate or in a basket. Set out some
butter. Don't worry about the dishes in your sink.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> laurie wrote:
>>> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of
>>> that "I
>>> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so
>>> irritates me about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces
>>> required unless you want to; just vegetables with butter, salt &
>>> pepper. I often wonder why everyone thinks holiday dishes have to
>>> be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself is very nice; simplicity should
>>> accompany it.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My
>> kitchen isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the
>> sink and on the stovetop.
>>
>> laurie

> My kitchen is a matchbox. You should let the prime rib roast set for about
> 10-15 minutes (tented under foil) on a board next to the stove before you
> slice it. Steam the veggies on the stovetop while that's happening. Maybe
> heat some pre-bought dinner rolls in the already hot oven at the same time.
> Slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Spoon the steamed veggies
> into serving dishes. Put the rolls on a plate or in a basket. Set out some
> butter. Don't worry about the dishes in your sink.
>
> Jill

About the tented with foil thing:

I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
curious.

--
Ignorance isn't just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy
- The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne said...

> About the tented with foil thing:
>
> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> curious.

Ravenlynne,

I think tenting is a 50/50 proposition.

Tented meat will continue to cook rather than cool. Some claim tented meat
may rise an additional 10 degrees in 10 or 15 minutes.

Untented will cook some but cool faster.

It probably matters most how close to doneness (temp) it reads, out of the
oven, whether to tent or not, so it doesnt accidently overcook.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
> about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
> want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
> everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
> is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Right you are Jill. A nice prime rib is a treat on its own. A
nice big one like that should yield lots of juices to make lots
of great gravy. Personally. I would prefer roast potatoes to
mashed, and they are less last minute work. Yorkshire pudding is
always nice with roast beef. Have a few vegetables on the side
and some nice fresh bread or rolls and you have a great dinner
ready to go.
As for condiments, some people like horseradish with roast beef.
I have always preferred chilli sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 05:33:06 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I often wonder why
>everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant.

Me, I am going rather simple this year. I feel like having something
homey...hence I am fixing braised shortribs...with buttered noodles. I
can do those way ahead of time, and freeze them and then reheat them
the day we eat. They are even better then..

For one of the sides I am fixing these carrots, which would also be
lovely with the prime rib, as well as very easy:

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r879.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" > wrote in message
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out about
> it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make some
> things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but none of
> them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe for
> chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main meal?
> Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That doesn't seem
> "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve things - meaning
> no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No green bean casseroles
> because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I know none of you would
> help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on the
> veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely and
set aside. Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop. Sauté
onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, Seasoned Salt and pepper and
blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add
spinach and bacon; heat.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Don't forget

Lawry's Whipped Cream Horseradish

1 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, well drained or 4 tablespoons finely grated
fresh horseradish root
Dash Tabasco sauce

Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in Seasoned Salt, horseradish and
Tabasco until well mixed.

Makes 6 servings.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

A couple of "old time" favorites a

Peas & baby pearl onions BirdsEye has them frozen. A couple of
minutes in the microwave and you are all set (even comes in a cardboard
serving dish).

Creamed onions Again, BirdsEye has them frozen in a cardboard serving dish.

The serving dishes aren't really suitable for company, but the food is
quite good, easy to prepare and quick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
> >

> > Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets

as
> > a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that

"I
> > think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates

me
> > about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless

you
> > want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
> > everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib

itself
> > is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

> Right you are Jill. A nice prime rib is a treat on its own. A
> nice big one like that should yield lots of juices to make lots
> of great gravy. Personally. I would prefer roast potatoes to
> mashed, and they are less last minute work. Yorkshire pudding is
> always nice with roast beef. Have a few vegetables on the side
> and some nice fresh bread or rolls and you have a great dinner
> ready to go.
> As for condiments, some people like horseradish with roast beef.
> I have always preferred chilli sauce.

=============
Rather than a thick gravy, I make an ajus with the prime rib.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!

Assuming a simple salad and bread n' butter all the meat n' potatoes
folks will love it as is... anything else just steals room on their
plate. I'd plan on having lots of gravy is all. And if you really
gotta then a side of ordinary veggies ... try your hand at orange
glazed candied carrots w/pearl onions.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> "Jude" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > laurie wrote:
> >
> > Yorkshire pudding.
> > Roasted carrots and onions.
> > Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
> > one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
> > serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
> > Large salad
> > Fruit salad
> > rolls
> >
> >> laurie

> Roasted potatoes, carrots and onion seem to be the way to go. I did have a
> tomato casserole on my "list" but wasn't sure if it would "go" with the rib.
> You think it would? I will definitely do a salad. Thanks.
>
> laurie

I think a tomato casserole would go nicely with this , add a lttle
hearty veg to the meal!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

>> YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
>> yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
>> make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of
>> chips
>> (or ice, your call)
>>
>> --
>> .:Heather:.

> I'm making prime rib and yorkshire pudding and you're bringing
> CHIPS???????????? How about some shrimp cocktail instead????? <smile>
>
> laurie

dude! the chips are for you and me after the guests leave!!!
but i'm amiable, if you don't want chips I can bring ice.

or if you want to be really picky then I'll just stay home and think bad
things about you and maybe cry and eat my chips all alone (unless you pick
ice, then I'm stuck with a bag of ice)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC and advice (Was What to serve with Prime Rib?)

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible.

> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!
>
> laurie

There are a number of vegetable casseroles you can make ahead.

My family would like the broccoli-cheese thing or asparagus. Some
winter squash (savory, not sweet) would be popular. They also would
expect Yorkshire pudding with roast beef.

Lots of little side dishes of things like olives, pickles, chutney,
horseradish sauce, spiced apple rings (bottled), spiced applesauce, etc.
would disguise the lack of more vegetables, and all of those can be
bought ready to serve.

This is delicious and can be made ahead. It's something I have made for
years, but it's also in the RFC Cookbook:

8 large carrots cut into strips or 1 lb. mini carrots
2 Tbsp horseradish
2 Tbsp. grated onion
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp, salt
1/4 tsp blackpepper
buttered cracker crumbs or bread crumbs

Cook the carrots in salted water until just tender. Drain and place in
an 8 inch square baking dish. Mix onion, horseradish, mayonnaise, salt
and pepper and pour over carots. Sprinkle the top with crumbs. Bake 20
minutes at 350deg. Serves 6-8. Can be doubled easily.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> About the tented with foil thing:
>
> I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> curious.

Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it steams,
and so the crusty outside goes soggy. this was discussed on UKTV Food, they
said you should leave the meat to rest for a LOT LONGER than most people do,
(for as long as it cooks in most cases), the ambient temperature of the
kitchen will keep the meat watm for at least 1/2 an hour. If it's colder,
use the oven door as a shelf (How do you cook the yorkshire puds and the
roast potatoes!) or the top oven (I don't have one!) Anyway in an ideal
world with a hot kitchen, the meat should be untented, and sit for at least
an hour!!!!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
> some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
> none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
> for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
> meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
> doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
> things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
> green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
> know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.
>
> Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
> the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
> overwhelming, please!

This is so good with beef: I made this to go with our Thanksgiving
prime rib-also made a horseradish sauce for the beef. We had candied
carrots and steamed broccoli. Plenty of color- Hope this helps.

Mushroom Casserole

1 large onion, sliced thin
2-3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 pound mushrooms, sliced (use fresh button mushrooms)
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
a little salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
about 1/4-1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese (make sure to use
fresh)
2 Tbsp melted butter

Mix the sour cream and heavy cream together, set aside. Saute the
onion
in the 2-3 Tbsp butter about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute
about
7 minutes. Blend flour, salt and pepper with the mushroom mixture in
the
skillet, then gradually add the heavy cream and sour cream, mix well.
Pour
into a baking dish (about a 1 quart size). Top with the grated parmesan

cheese then drizzle with the melted butter. Bake 350 for about 20
minutes
or until the cheese has melted and the mushrooms are heated through.
Jan

--

> laurie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:

> > About the tented with foil thing:
> >
> > I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
> > describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
> > cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
> > curious.
> >

> Apparently, roast beef should be 'dry' cooked, by tenting in foil it steams,
> and so the crusty outside goes soggy.

Nothing steams and nothing goes soggy (roast meat is not a loaf of
bread). The tent slows the rate of cooling so juices can more readily
be reabsorbed rather than they drip into the pan, and the tent
increases humidity so the meat surface does not become tough...
humidity ain't steam, were it we'd all be dead... no steam is produced,
not inside the oven, not outside the oven, no steam is created from
tenting. I've watched Mario Bertali's shows enough to learn he's about
the dumbest embarrassment to humanity of all foodtv personalities, he's
your typical ignorant dago pasta bender, can barely speak without
constantly stumbling over his own greasy WOP tongue... Mario Buffooni
has a serious speech impediment or he's sucking some thing.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A favorite at my house...

Peas with Walnuts:

3 TBL unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1lb. frozen petite green peas
1 teaspoon sugar
Freshly ground pepper

Directions: Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute walnuts
1-2 minutes, until fragrant and lightly toasted. Add 1/2 teaspoon of
salt. Add peas and sugar. Toss or stir to coat. Saute peas in the
butter and walnut mixture until heated through but still bright green.
Add fresh pepper. Adjust seasoning with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to
taste (add more sugar if you like peas a bit sweeter). Serve
immediately.

Enjoy,
Steve