What to serve with Prime Rib?

Old 07-12-2006, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
meal? Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That
doesn't seem "fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve
things - meaning no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No
green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I
know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.

Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on
the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
overwhelming, please!

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:

[...]

I love prime rib! For a stressless, easy side dish, perhaps you might
like to consider an easy salad made from a small wedge of lettuce
sprinkled with bacon bits and served with a nice bleu cheese or ranch
dressing? Maybe include some diced tomatoes? Definitely quick and easy
with no additional cooking involved.

Sky
Old 07-12-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
[...]

Yorkshire pudding.
Roasted carrots and onions.
Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
Large salad
Fruit salad
rolls

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
[...]

I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little rosemary
and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies, I
serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels sprouts.
Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of course, freshly
made Yorkshire puddings.

The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.

Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You won't
get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon wine to
deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it coats the
back of a spoon.

Paul

Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
laurie wrote:
[...]

YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of chips
(or ice, your call)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 07-12-2006, 06:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:51:02 GMT, "laurie"
wrote:

We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
as side dishes.

Creamed spinach is a "natural" side dish.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 07-12-2006, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Dec 2006 20:27:04 -0800, "Jude" wrote:

Yorkshire pudding.

I dunno.... when I looked at that post, Yorkshire pudding was on the
list - that's how much it goes with roast beef at xmas.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Laurie,

Try some Honey Glazed Carrots. Carrots are a great complimentary side
to most beef courses.
http://www.gosyro.com/recipes/00004....ed%20C arrots

Charles

Old 07-12-2006, 11:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
rib. We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be
doing mashed potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else
to do with it as far as side dishes.

(snippage)
Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them
skimp on the veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that
department. But nothing overwhelming, please!

laurie

Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Jill

Old 07-12-2006, 11:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
mashed potatoes along with the rib,

Jude,

Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.

Another familiar side dish is asparagus.

Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.

Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.

Have fun,

Andy
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
Jude said...

We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime
rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing
mashed potatoes along with the rib,

Jude,

Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.

Another familiar side dish is asparagus.

Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.

Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.

Have fun,

Andy

Andy,

I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

Andy wrote:
Jude said...

[...]

I meant to reply to Laurie but loaded your post by mistake. Oops!

Andy
Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make
some things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but
none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe
for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main
meal?

Yes, it would be very strange to serve a chicken casserole along with a
prime rib.
What's hard about planning some simple yet elegant vegetables to go
along with the beef and mashed potatoes? And perhaps Yorkshire Pudding?
All are very simple to prepare.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
Jude said...

Andy wrote:
Jude said...

[...]

excuses, excuses. Ya know, my big sister is named Laurie, so i'm used
to her getting all the attention. =P

Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Bubbo" wrote

Jude wrote:
laurie wrote:

none of them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful

recipe
for chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the
main
meal?

Definitely, it just doesn't go. I would steam a bunch of nice asparagus
in the microwave, that's really easy. How about some kind of green bean
almondine, like that? I picture a green vegetable and baked or mashed
potatoes. Just a thought.

No
green bean casseroles because a) neither my husband or I like it and b)
know none of you would help me if i said I was going to make it.

That's funny

Yorkshire pudding.

YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!

I have made these popovers from epicurious (thanks, Dams, for looking it up
for me),
and they came out really well. I prefer them to yorkshire pudding, but
that's just me.
I used a muffin pan and filled the cups in a checkerboard pattern.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/11439

Classic Popovers

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375F. Generously grease six 2/3-cup popover tins
or nine 1/2-cup muffin tins.
In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and water and add butter in a stream,

whisking. Add flour and salt and whisk mixture until combined well but still

slightly lumpy. Divide batter among tins and bake in lower third of oven 45
minutes.

Cut a slit about 1/2 inch long on top of each popover with a small sharp
knife

and bake 10 minutes more.

Makes 6 large or 9 medium popovers.
Gourmet
January 1996

What to serve? Chatty Cathy General Cooking 26 01-10-2006 11:27 PM
what to serve Willie S General Cooking 8 19-09-2006 02:58 PM
what to serve pfoley General Cooking 33 18-09-2006 10:19 PM
Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve... Buzinkum General Cooking 46 08-12-2005 04:12 AM
What to serve with ham? AlesiaM General Cooking 14 24-12-2003 09:50 PM