Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

In article <2cZfh.4179$Et5.723@trndny07>,
"laurie" > wrote:

> my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate that
> I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do you
> do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

I seldom have enough drippings that I want to sacrifice for the
Yorkshire. I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
Canola oil. Perhaps I don't taste very well, but I can't tell the
difference. I'd use the Canola in the bottom of the Yorkshire pan and
the drippings for the au jus. I generally make gravy.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??

I'm going to serve this at my new restaurant, called:

The House of le Maison de Casa.

We will also be serving the soup of the day, called "Soup de jour".

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:15:58 GMT, "laurie" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Thanks for the menu. Quick question for the yorkshire pudding group-
>
>my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate that
>I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do you
>do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

I posted this in another thread:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Bill's Yorkshire Pudding

breads, misc. side dishes

1 cup less 1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450° F.

Whisk together the flour and salt. Whisk together in another bowl the
eggs and milk. Add flour and beat until well blended. Rest 1 hour in
refrigerator (maybe). Heat muffin tins in oven for 10 mins. with 1/4
inch of beef drippings. Pour in batter. Bake at 450° F for 15 mins.
Reduce heat to 350° F and bake until golden brown - approximately 15 -
20 mins.

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:28:13 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article <2cZfh.4179$Et5.723@trndny07>,
> "laurie" > wrote:
>
>> my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate that
>> I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do you
>> do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

>I seldom have enough drippings that I want to sacrifice for the
>Yorkshire. I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
>Canola oil. Perhaps I don't taste very well, but I can't tell the
>difference. I'd use the Canola in the bottom of the Yorkshire pan and
>the drippings for the au jus. I generally make gravy.
>
>leo

Leo... don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat.
There's plenty to go around because you just use a little bit of it.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:15:36 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??

Au jus is unthickened meat juice. Gravy is the thickened stuff.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:15:36 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>> Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??

> Au jus is unthickened meat juice. Gravy is the thickened stuff.

LOL, I know that. But the poster who wrote the term "au jus sauce" must
not know...? So what would you think "au jus sauce" meant?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> LOL, I know that. But the poster who wrote the term "au jus sauce" must
> not know...? So what would you think "au jus sauce" meant?

Au jus, obviously.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:54:13 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:15:36 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??

>> Au jus is unthickened meat juice. Gravy is the thickened stuff.
>>

>LOL, I know that. But the poster who wrote the term "au jus sauce" must
>not know...? So what would you think "au jus sauce" meant?

I think it's one of those dumb phrases that get slapped on menus by
people who don't know any better.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:28:13 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> > wrote:
>
>>In article <2cZfh.4179$Et5.723@trndny07>,
>> "laurie" > wrote:
>>
>>> my recipes for both the yorkshire pudding and the au jus sauce indicate
>>> that
>>> I need all of the pan drippings for each one. So to do both, what do
>>> you
>>> do? Divide the drippings? Add beef broth?

>>I seldom have enough drippings that I want to sacrifice for the
>>Yorkshire. I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
>>Canola oil. Perhaps I don't taste very well, but I can't tell the
>>difference. I'd use the Canola in the bottom of the Yorkshire pan and
>>the drippings for the au jus. I generally make gravy.
>>
>>leo

> Leo... don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat.
> There's plenty to go around because you just use a little bit of it.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email

Jesus H Christ. What a friggin nightmare.

Use the fat and not the juice??? WTF.

My dear friends... try making a gravy after cooking turkey all day long,
then save the fat, and omit the juice and you end up with a nasty pile of
turd. You want the juices... NOT the fat.

Get my drift?

My suggestion: discard the fat by "skimming" the fat with a ladel, keep the
juices and de-glaze the pan by adding chicken stock over very high heat.
Add butter and fresh herbs towards the end, right before you serve. Salt +
P to taste. Add 3 or 4 drops of vinegar at the very end.

And if you don't have enough "juices" to begin with then you need to start
learning how to cook with mirepoix and a stock base.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce Milverk wrote:
> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:28:13 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:

>>> I seldom have enough drippings that I want to sacrifice for the
>>> Yorkshire. I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
>>> Canola oil. Perhaps I don't taste very well, but I can't tell the
>>> difference. I'd use the Canola in the bottom of the Yorkshire pan and
>>> the drippings for the au jus. I generally make gravy.
>>>
>>> leo

>> Leo... don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat.
>> There's plenty to go around because you just use a little bit of it.
>>
>> --

> Jesus H Christ. What a friggin nightmare.

When you look up "shooting from the hip" in a crappy
dictionary, this guy's picture is there.

> Use the fat and not the juice??? WTF.

Read the thread, blowhole. It's about making Yorkshire
pudding. And the fat is exactly, precisely what is needed.

> My dear friends... try making a gravy after cooking turkey all day long,
> then save the fat, and omit the juice and you end up with a nasty pile of
> turd. You want the juices... NOT the fat.

You want reading instructions. And culinary training. You
want some of both for good gravy.

> Get my drift?
>
> My suggestion: discard the fat by "skimming" the fat with a ladel, keep the
> juices and de-glaze the pan by adding chicken stock over very high heat.
> Add butter and fresh herbs towards the end, right before you serve. Salt +
> P to taste. Add 3 or 4 drops of vinegar at the very end.
>
> And if you don't have enough "juices" to begin with then you need to start
> learning how to cook with mirepoix and a stock base.

Jayzus...

Thank you for that erudite instruction. I'm sure no one else
knows any of those closely held secrets.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Farce Milverk wrote:
>> <sf> wrote in message ...
>>> On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:28:13 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell

>>> Leo... don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat.
>>> There's plenty to go around because you just use a little bit of it.
>>>
>>> --

>> Jesus H Christ. What a friggin nightmare.

> When you look up "shooting from the hip" in a crappy dictionary, this
> guy's picture is there.
>
>> Use the fat and not the juice??? WTF.

> Read the thread, blowhole. It's about making Yorkshire pudding. And the
> fat is exactly, precisely what is needed.
>
>> My dear friends... try making a gravy after cooking turkey all day long,
>> then save the fat, and omit the juice and you end up with a nasty pile of
>> turd. You want the juices... NOT the fat.

> You want reading instructions. And culinary training. You want some of
> both for good gravy.
>
>> Get my drift?
>>
>> My suggestion: discard the fat by "skimming" the fat with a ladel, keep
>> the juices and de-glaze the pan by adding chicken stock over very high
>> heat. Add butter and fresh herbs towards the end, right before you serve.
>> Salt + P to taste. Add 3 or 4 drops of vinegar at the very end.
>>
>> And if you don't have enough "juices" to begin with then you need to
>> start learning how to cook with mirepoix and a stock base.

> Jayzus...
>
> Thank you for that erudite instruction. I'm sure no one else knows any of
> those closely held secrets.
>
> Pastorio

You can listen to me and make your Au Jus taste good, or you can listen to
trolling douchebags like Pastorio. Take your pick.

Farce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce wrote:

> You can listen to me and make your Au Jus taste good

Bob Pastorio said to use the grease in the drippings to make Yorkshire
pudding, and to use the degreased drippings to make jus. I find no fault
with that whatsoever.

I think the two of you are actually in agreement over how to cook the jus,
but you apparently glossed over the fact that the ongoing discussion wasn't
about making jus; it was about using the grease from the pan drippings to
make Yorkshire pudding. Here's how the conversation went:

Leo wrote: "I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
Canola oil"
SF replied: "don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat."

They're not talking about making jus there; they're talking about making
Yorkshire pudding. Then you spout off about how they're ruining the jus --
disregarding the fact that NOBODY WAS TALKING ABOUT MAKING JUS.

rant which was entirely misplaced.

Exactly where do you disagree with what Bob Pastorio wrote? Do you think
removing the grease from the pan drippings is a bad idea? Do you think that
it's a mistake to use the grease from the pan drippings to make Yorkshire
pudding? Do you think that the degreased pan drippings are an essential part
of Yorkshire pudding? Do you think that the jus SHOULD contain the grease?

(BTW, it's just "jus," not "au jus." The term "au jus" means "with juice."
You might frequently see "au jus" used incorrectly on menus written by
ignorant people, but that widespread ignorance doesn't make the usage
correct. "Prime Rib Au Jus" is correct. "Prime Rib With Au Jus" is not.)

Bob Pastorio is one of the more respected posters in this forum, with years
and years of knowledgeable and accurate posts to his credit. You, on the
other hand, are a clueless ****ing newbie whose posts border on trollhood.
You'd do well to read more carefully before you post, lest you make a fool
of yourself.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Farce wrote:
>
>> You can listen to me and make your Au Jus taste good

> Bob Pastorio said to use the grease in the drippings to make Yorkshire
> pudding, and to use the degreased drippings to make jus. I find no fault
> with that whatsoever.
>
> I think the two of you are actually in agreement over how to cook the jus,
> but you apparently glossed over the fact that the ongoing discussion
> wasn't about making jus; it was about using the grease from the pan
> drippings to make Yorkshire pudding. Here's how the conversation went:
>
> Leo wrote: "I have tried Yorkshire with pan drippings and with straight
> Canola oil"
> SF replied: "don't use the juice part of your drippings, use the fat."
>
> They're not talking about making jus there; they're talking about making
> Yorkshire pudding. Then you spout off about how they're ruining the jus --
> disregarding the fact that NOBODY WAS TALKING ABOUT MAKING JUS.

> rant which was entirely misplaced.
>
> Exactly where do you disagree with what Bob Pastorio wrote? Do you think
> removing the grease from the pan drippings is a bad idea? Do you think
> that it's a mistake to use the grease from the pan drippings to make
> Yorkshire pudding? Do you think that the degreased pan drippings are an
> essential part of Yorkshire pudding? Do you think that the jus SHOULD
> contain the grease?
>
> (BTW, it's just "jus," not "au jus." The term "au jus" means "with juice."
> You might frequently see "au jus" used incorrectly on menus written by
> ignorant people, but that widespread ignorance doesn't make the usage
> correct. "Prime Rib Au Jus" is correct. "Prime Rib With Au Jus" is not.)
>
> Bob Pastorio is one of the more respected posters in this forum, with
> years and years of knowledgeable and accurate posts to his credit. You, on
> the other hand, are a clueless ****ing newbie whose posts border on
> trollhood. You'd do well to read more carefully before you post, lest you
> make a fool of yourself.
>
> Bob

"Pan drippings" does not mean "grease" you 2 bit hack.

Enjoy your slop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce wrote:

> "Pan drippings" does not mean "grease" you 2 bit hack.

Nobody in the discussion made the claim that "pan drippings" and "grease"
are synonymous. Is your reading comprehension really THAT bad, that when we
explicitly talk about REMOVING the grease from the pan drippings, you think
there's nothing left?

Let me spell it out for you, and you can read it VERY SLOWLY; maybe you'll
FINALLY understand:

When the roast is done, there will be some liquid in the pan. These are the
pan drippings. They consist of a greasy part that floats on top and an
aqueous part that sinks to the bottom. The drippings also contain some
assorted solid bits that oozed or fell from the meat and cooked in the
liquid.

Removing the grease that floats on top is beneficial. If you try to make jus
with it, your jus will be so greasy as to be virtually inedible. You
yourself agreed with that when you wrote, "discard the fat by "skimming" the
fat with a ladel [sic]". See, the words "grease" and "fat" ARE being used
synonymously here. "Grease" and "pan drippings" are NOT being used
synonymously; they're only being confused by YOU.

But once you remove the grease from the drippings, you don't HAVE to throw
it away. You can use it to make Yorkshire pudding. _That_ is what sf told
Leo, and that's the point where you joined the conversation. You
misunderstood what sf said; YOU wrongly thought she was telling Leo to use
the grease to make the jus. You simply failed to comprehend what was
plainly written. You were wrong, you made a stupid mistake, and the further
you argue, the stupider you appear.

Now note that I STILL haven't discussed how to make jus. All I've discussed
was removing the grease from the pan drippings, and using that grease to
make Yorkshire pudding. Making jus takes place AFTER the grease has been
removed. But that discussion can take place some other time; you'll
obviously need some time to assimilate the information I provided already.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce Milverk wrote:
> "Pan drippings" does not mean "grease" you 2 bit hack.

Is English not your first language? Or are you just a
pompous moron? Or both?

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce Milverk wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>> Farce Milverk wrote:

>>> Jesus H Christ. What a friggin nightmare.

>> When you look up "shooting from the hip" in a crappy dictionary, this
>> guy's picture is there.
>>
>>> Use the fat and not the juice??? WTF.

>> Read the thread, blowhole. It's about making Yorkshire pudding. And the
>> fat is exactly, precisely what is needed.
>>
>>> My dear friends... try making a gravy after cooking turkey all day long,
>>> then save the fat, and omit the juice and you end up with a nasty pile of
>>> turd. You want the juices... NOT the fat.

>> You want reading instructions. And culinary training. You want some of
>> both for good gravy.
>>
>>> Get my drift?
>>>
>>> My suggestion: discard the fat by "skimming" the fat with a ladel, keep
>>> the juices and de-glaze the pan by adding chicken stock over very high
>>> heat. Add butter and fresh herbs towards the end, right before you serve.
>>> Salt + P to taste. Add 3 or 4 drops of vinegar at the very end.
>>>
>>> And if you don't have enough "juices" to begin with then you need to
>>> start learning how to cook with mirepoix and a stock base.

>> Jayzus...
>>
>> Thank you for that erudite instruction. I'm sure no one else knows any of
>> those closely held secrets.
>>
>> Pastorio

> You can listen to me and make your Au Jus taste good, or you can listen to
> trolling douchebags like Pastorio. Take your pick.

The subject was *Yorkshire pudding* - not au jus (properly,
"jus" if you're an actual French-trained chef - sure looks
doubtful). Read the words, blowhole. It's been available to
you *twice* and it slipped past you both times. Please...
shower us with more of your wisdom...

Is it that you've never heard of Yorkshire pudding?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farce Milverk wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>
>> Do you think
>> removing the grease from the pan drippings is a bad idea? Do you think
>> that it's a mistake to use the grease from the pan drippings to make
>> Yorkshire pudding? Do you think that the degreased pan drippings are an
>> essential part of Yorkshire pudding? Do you think that the jus SHOULD
>> contain the grease?

> "Pan drippings" does not mean "grease" you 2 bit hack.
>
> Enjoy your slop.

Wow. Well, I guess "Farce" has sure identified himself.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 6:42 pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Goomba38 > wrote:
> > Is "au jus sauce" a new fangled term for "gravy"??I'm going to serve this at my new restaurant, called:

> The House of le Maison de Casa.
>
> We will also be serving the soup of the day, called "Soup de jour".
>
> :-)

And your menu will, I trust, say "with" au jus sauce?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

laurie wrote:
> We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible.

I know what you mean about the stressing out and wanting to "do it
all." Take my advice: DELEGATE the side dishes and a dessert or two. It
took me a long time to get to that point; let it go -- you have enough
to do with the main courses and prepping the home for a crowd.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:

> laurie wrote:
> > We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
> > We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
> > potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
> > as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out
> > about it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
> > Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible.

> I know what you mean about the stressing out and wanting to "do it
> all." Take my advice: DELEGATE the side dishes and a dessert or two. It
> took me a long time to get to that point; let it go -- you have enough
> to do with the main courses and prepping the home for a crowd.

A nice prime rib dinner shouldn't be too complicated.
Personally, I prefer to be left alone in the kitchen and look
after things myself. I get flustered if there are people in
there expecting conversation while I am trying to get things
done. I make sure that my wife has everything out of the kitchen
that she needs and then I ban her from the room. I once went in
to check the roast to see if it was time to start the potatoes
and found that she had started the beans. So she is not allowed
in there anymore when I am cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Dave Smith wrote:

> A nice prime rib dinner shouldn't be too complicated.
> Personally, I prefer to be left alone in the kitchen and look
> after things myself. I get flustered if there are people in
> there expecting conversation while I am trying to get things
> done. I make sure that my wife has everything out of the kitchen
> that she needs and then I ban her from the room. I once went in
> to check the roast to see if it was time to start the potatoes
> and found that she had started the beans. So she is not allowed
> in there anymore when I am cooking.

I'm the same way about the kitchen -- but when we gather for Christmas
Eve we have twice as many kids and adults than Laurie's gatherings. My
sister and I take turns hosting the event (her turn this year, thank
goodness!) so the hostess takes care of the Prime Rib, I and others
bring sides and desserts. (Our mom orders the biggest prime rib she can
get from the butcher and pays for it. That works fine for us).

Luckily, my man likes having me in the kitchen with him ;-) I love his
big kitchen!

--Lin (looking forward to my first Christmas dinner with him)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, I simply don't understand what all the discussion is about. When
you serve roast beast you serve it with Yorkshire pudding, oven-browned
potatoes and enough gravy to sink the Bismarck. That's it. Oh,
something from the Vegetable Department if you must.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:
> Well, I simply don't understand what all the discussion is about. When
> you serve roast beast you serve it with Yorkshire pudding, oven-browned
> potatoes and enough gravy to sink the Bismarck. That's it. Oh,
> something from the Vegetable Department if you must.
>
> Felice

And horseradish! Love the explody-nose feeling! Love it!

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once.'"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:41:04 -0500, Ravenlynne >
wrote:

> And horseradish! Love the explody-nose feeling! Love it!

It's good for clearing out clogged sinuses too.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:42:33 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>my new restaurant, called:
>
>The House of le Maison de Casa.

Catchy name, Dan! Better watch out, someone may steal it.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:41:04 -0500, Ravenlynne >
> wrote:
>
>> And horseradish! Love the explody-nose feeling! Love it!

> It's good for clearing out clogged sinuses too.

Explody nose!

--
"All of those faeries and duels and mad queens and so on, and no one
quoted old Billy Shakespeare. Not even once.'"
- The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne wrote:
> Felice wrote:
>
> > Well, I simply don't understand what all the discussion is about. When
> > you serve roast beast you serve it with Yorkshire pudding, oven-browned
> > potatoes and enough gravy to sink the Bismarck. That's it. Oh,
> > something from the Vegetable Department if you must.

> And horseradish! Love the explody-nose feeling! Love it!

Lifts your skull from your brain, better high than drugs... of course I
never did drugs so I could be wrong. But I've done horseradish and hot
mustard, separately and together.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Dec 2006 10:01:11 -0800, "Lin" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

<snip>

> (Our mom orders the biggest prime rib she can
>get from the butcher and pays for it. That works fine for us).

We traditionally have prime rib for Christmas and, as our gatherings
have gotten bigger and bigger with the addition of SOs and
grandchildren, I've learned to buy two roasts. I roast one medium and
the other medium rare, which seems to work well. I also found that
trying to roast one 7 rib roast wound up with too rare in the middle
and too done on the ends. It's also tough to lift out of the oven with
my heavy roaster! And saints be praised for turkey lifter forks - they
work great with roasts.

>Luckily, my man likes having me in the kitchen with him ;-) I love his
>big kitchen!

If I had my way, I'd have concertina wire around my kitchen and not
roll it up until I was finished preparing the meal and ready for all
hands to carry food to the tables!

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne > writes:
> And horseradish! Love the explody-nose feeling! Love it!

I don't suppose you saw the movie Jackass, where Steve-O
snorted from a giant pile of wasabi? The "jackass" part of
the bit was after he got done reacting to the first snort,
he did the other nostril.

Talk about your explody-noses, that would probably be the
pinnacle.