What to serve with Prime Rib?

Old 07-12-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

"Jude" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jude,

Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.

Another familiar side dish is asparagus.

Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.

Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.

Have fun,

Andy

Andy,

I don't eat beef. I was oly quoting the originalposter. I, too, would
serve roasted potatoes witht his, but she had already chosed mashed.
Popovers are basically individual yorkshire puds, anyways!

Thanks Andy and Jude,

Mashed are a major request around here and one thing that my 2 small kids
will eat, so mashed it is. Oh, they'll eat the rib, too!

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
rosemary and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For
veggies, I serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted
Brussels sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And
of course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.

The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.

Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon
wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it
coats the back of a spoon.

Paul

I did consider red roasted as they are one of my faves and of course go
great with the roast- haven't crossed it off my list yet. I was trying to
choose something my kids like and neither of them like roasted potatoes.

I don't know why I didn't think of yorkshire pudding- it seems so obvious
now- that said, though, none of us have ever had it so I dont know if we'll
like it! Have to try it ahead, I suppose.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
I always serve roasted red potatoes that I've cooked with a little
rosemary

and garlic and sea salt. Just a touch of seasonings here. For veggies, I
serve either boiled (lightly) Brussels sprouts or roasted Brussels
sprouts. Roasted sweet onion and carrots is divine as well. And of
course, freshly made Yorkshire puddings.

The whole roasted theme matches beautifully and is very traditional. It's
always a huge hit, everyone loves it year after year.

Be sure to make a gravy from he fond from the beef roaster pan. You
won't get much but a little goes a long way. I use a cabernet sauvignon
wine to deglasse the pan then mount butter and beef juices. Cook till it
coats the back of a spoon.

Paul

The gravy sounds great. Oh, I forgot to say, I assume you cook all the
roasted veggies in a separate roasting pan and not mixed in with the rib
juices? I think there would be too much to cook in with the rib.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets
as

a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that
"I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Jill

If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My kitchen
isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the sink and on the
stovetop.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message

Yes, it would be very strange to serve a chicken casserole along with a
prime rib.
What's hard about planning some simple yet elegant vegetables to go along
with the beef and mashed potatoes? And perhaps Yorkshire Pudding?
All are very simple to prepare.

For whatever reason, I always seem to screw up the veggies. They're like an
afterthought to me I suppose.

I've gotten some great ideas, though, thanks.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" wrote in message
oups.com...
laurie wrote:

Yorkshire pudding.
Roasted carrots and onions.
Steamed green veg of your choice with butter and lemon.
one more veg - i have a great recipe for a tomato casserole that we
serve, or you could do squash or brussel sprouts.
Large salad
Fruit salad
rolls

laurie

Roasted potatoes, carrots and onion seem to be the way to go. I did have a
tomato casserole on my "list" but wasn't sure if it would "go" with the rib.
You think it would? I will definitely do a salad. Thanks.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend

YORKSHIRE PUDDING!!!
yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!
make that and invite me! I'll bring my charming demeanor and a bag of
chips
(or ice, your call)

--
.:Heather:.

I'm making prime rib and yorkshire pudding and you're bringing
CHIPS???????????? How about some shrimp cocktail instead????? smile

laurie

www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just
driving
by your mom's house.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" q wrote in message ...

Jude,

Personally, I'd serve baked potatoes instead of mashed 'so any blood from
the prime rib could "contaminate" the mashed.

Another familiar side dish is asparagus.

Simple tossed salad with several dressings and oil/vinegar.

Popovers instead of dinner rolls are simple and extravagant, imho.

Have fun,

Andy

I did consider asparagus as that seemed naturally elegant but unfortunately
noone here likes it, so that kind of crosses it off the list.

The salad is perfect because I can delegate that. Just not to my mother in
law who doesn't wash the lettuce.

I've never done popovers. Interesting idea. Thanks.

laurie

Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie said...

Roasted potatoes, carrots and onion seem to be the way to go. I did
have a tomato casserole on my "list" but wasn't sure if it would "go"
with the rib. You think it would? I will definitely do a salad. Thanks.

laurie

laurie,

You just reminded me. Caramelized onions and LOT'S of them! Easy and
flavorful. There's just something yummy about them with steak!

Andy
Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

laurie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower
florets as

a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of
that "I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so
irritates me about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces
required unless you want to; just vegetables with butter, salt &
pepper. I often wonder why everyone thinks holiday dishes have to
be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself is very nice; simplicity should
accompany it.

Jill

If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My
kitchen isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the
sink and on the stovetop.

laurie

My kitchen is a matchbox. You should let the prime rib roast set for about
10-15 minutes (tented under foil) on a board next to the stove before you
slice it. Steam the veggies on the stovetop while that's happening. Maybe
heat some pre-bought dinner rolls in the already hot oven at the same time.
Slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Spoon the steamed veggies
into serving dishes. Put the rolls on a plate or in a basket. Set out some
butter. Don't worry about the dishes in your sink.

Jill

Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
laurie wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

About the tented with foil thing:

I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
curious.

--
Ignorance isn't just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy
- The Dresden Files
Old 07-12-2006, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ravenlynne said...

About the tented with foil thing:

I've always done this. But I was reading "Heat" by Bill Buford and he
describes Mario Batali telling him that "only an idiot would use foil on
cooling meat". Does anyone have any idea why this would be bad? Just
curious.

Ravenlynne,

I think tenting is a 50/50 proposition.

Tented meat will continue to cook rather than cool. Some claim tented meat
may rise an additional 10 degrees in 10 or 15 minutes.

Untented will cook some but cool faster.

It probably matters most how close to doneness (temp) it reads, out of the
oven, whether to tent or not, so it doesnt accidently overcook.

Andy
Old 07-12-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower florets as
a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of that "I
think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so irritates me
about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces required unless you
want to; just vegetables with butter, salt & pepper. I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself
is very nice; simplicity should accompany it.

Right you are Jill. A nice prime rib is a treat on its own. A
nice big one like that should yield lots of juices to make lots
of great gravy. Personally. I would prefer roast potatoes to
mashed, and they are less last minute work. Yorkshire pudding is
always nice with roast beef. Have a few vegetables on the side
and some nice fresh bread or rolls and you have a great dinner
ready to go.
As for condiments, some people like horseradish with roast beef.
I have always preferred chilli sauce.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 05:33:06 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I often wonder why
everyone thinks holiday dishes have to be so flamboyant.

Me, I am going rather simple this year. I feel like having something
homey...hence I am fixing braised shortribs...with buttered noodles. I
can do those way ahead of time, and freeze them and then reheat them
the day we eat. They are even better then..

For one of the sides I am fixing these carrots, which would also be
lovely with the prime rib, as well as very easy:

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r879.html

Christine
Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"laurie" wrote in message
We're having Christmas dinner at our house, and I'm planning a prime rib.
We'll be having about 10-11 adults and 3 (small) kids. I'll be doing mashed
potatoes along with the rib, but I'm not sure what else to do with it as far
as side dishes. I LOVE to cook for family but tend to get stressed out about
it, plus I have to do 12 hour night shifts for the 3 days leading into
Christmas, so I want it to be as stress free as possible. Preferably make some
things before the 21st and freeze if possible. I have a few ideas but none of
them seem like they'd compliment the Rib. I have a wonderful recipe for
chicken broccoli and ziti but is that too overhwhelming with the main meal?
Should I just do some sort of broccoli/cheese casserole? That doesn't seem
"fancy" enough or something. I'd prefer to do heat and serve things - meaning
no steaming on the stovetop that day- if possible. No green bean casseroles
because a) neither my husband or I like it and b) I know none of you would
help me if i said I was going to make it.

Any ideas welcome. I tend to be all about the main meal and them skimp on the
veggies, so I'd like to try and improve in that department. But nothing
overwhelming, please!

laurie

Creamed Spinach a la Lawry's

2 pkgs. (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
4 slices bacon
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
2 cups milk

Drain spinach well and squeeze out excess moisture with hands; chop finely and
set aside. Fry bacon in heavy skillet until crisp; remove, drain and chop. Sauté
onion and garlic in bacon drippings; add flour, Seasoned Salt and pepper and
blend thoroughly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add
spinach and bacon; heat.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Don't forget

Lawry's Whipped Cream Horseradish

1 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, well drained or 4 tablespoons finely grated
fresh horseradish root
Dash Tabasco sauce

Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in Seasoned Salt, horseradish and
Tabasco until well mixed.

Makes 6 servings.

Dimitri

What to serve? Chatty Cathy General Cooking 26 01-10-2006 11:27 PM
what to serve Willie S General Cooking 8 19-09-2006 02:58 PM
what to serve pfoley General Cooking 33 18-09-2006 10:19 PM
Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve... Buzinkum General Cooking 46 08-12-2005 05:12 AM
What to serve with ham? AlesiaM General Cooking 14 24-12-2003 10:50 PM