Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cutting salami real thin

I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
the trick or does one need a real sharp one. Also are there had
operated slicers that one can buy. I see something like that at cooking
stores,but they look rather flimsey.

Thanks

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
> What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
> the trick or does one need a real sharp one. Also are there had
> operated slicers that one can buy. I see something like that at cooking
> stores,but they look rather flimsey.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Actually, it ***CAN*** be done with a really sharp knife. Get a filet knife.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
> What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
> the trick or does one need a real sharp one.

Yes, a sharp knife and a steady hand and a good eye are a must.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/3, Christmas Cookies!; Barcelona 12-2 (you might have
to scroll down to find it.

http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat
> like that. What would you use at home to do the same thing?
> A knife does not do the trick or does one need a real sharp one.

Freeze it, then cut it with a potato peeler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat
> like that. What would you use at home to do the same thing? A
> knife does not do the trick or does one need a real sharp one.
> Also are there had operated slicers that one can buy. I see
> something like that at cooking stores,but they look rather
> flimsey.
>
> Thanks
> Tom

I like my Mandoline slicer. Looks like these
http://www.nextag.com/mandolin-slicer/search-html

As Mark said freeze your salami a bit first will help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
> What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
> the trick or does one need a real sharp one. Also are there had
> operated slicers that one can buy. I see something like that at cooking
> stores,but they look rather flimsey.

There do exist substantial slicing machines for home use but they are
still kind of costly, perhaps in the $500-$700 range, whereas
professional machines run into the thousands. If you are going to slice
meats often then it pays to get a decent home style machine. But for
most folks slicing the occasional stick of pepperoni or salami only
requires the proper sharp knife and a good hand... hard sausage is the
easiest. The best kind of knife for slicing sausage is a largish thick
rigid bladed carbon steel knife, a 10-12" German style chefs knife is
ideal (you definitely do not want thin and flexible). Use the back 1/3
of the blade (the heftiest portion) with a sliding rocking motion. And
a good trick is to attack the sausage at about a 30º angle so as to
make larger slices, the more surface area the more of the knife is into
the meat, the the easier it is to control the knife... the meat
supports the blade as the knife supports the meat. Even professional
quality slicing machines can be tilted to cut at an angle so that more
uniform slices can be made with the narrower sausages. The oval slices
also make for a better presentation as the further removed from the
actual sausage the more palatable the product... everyone knows that
the sausage making industry is just plain nasty, no one needs to be
reminded while eating... with deli meats presentation is everything,
otherwise you may as well just latch on and suck the mix directly from
the sausage stuffing tube. I wonder if sausage stuffers come in 38DD.
hehe

Sheldon Genoa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> tombates wrote:
>
> > I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
> > What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
> > the trick or does one need a real sharp one. Also are there had
> > operated slicers that one can buy. I see something like that at cooking
> > stores,but they look rather flimsey.

> My scalloped santoku knife does salami you can see through.

Hey, were're tawkin' genoa, not your peepee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> "tombates" wrote:
>
> > I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat
> > like that. What would you use at home to do the same thing? A
> > knife does not do the trick or does one need a real sharp one.
> > Also are there had operated slicers that one can buy. I see
> > something like that at cooking stores,but they look rather
> > flimsey.

> I like my Mandoline slicer. Looks like these
> http://www.nextag.com/mandolin-slicer/search-html

You put in the circumcision blade? Few if any mandolins can handle
salami diameters, and they can't really slice hard sausage anyway, not
unless yours is vegetarian

> As Mark said freeze your salami a bit first will help.

Well, he uses oscar meyer... short of an a-bomb nothing can hurt it...
freezing quality horsecock salami ruins it.

Sheldon Stallion

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I notice how thin stores cut salami or other types of meat like that.
> What would you use at home to do the same thing? A knife does not do
> the trick or does one need a real sharp one. Also are there had
> operated slicers that one can buy. I see something like that at
> cooking stores,but they look rather flimsey.

A good slicer, with aluminum body and a good engine and blade, is around 300
euros for a 20-25 centimeters blade and about 500 euros for a 30-35 cm
blade. About ten years ago dad bougth a 35 cm slicers from a friend who run
an appliances shop: wonderful, it works more than the television set
Ideal for salami, ham, coppa, pancetta... almost any cold cut you can
imagine. Obviously the only salamis I cut with it are the big ones, the
classic salami would end up on a cutting board with a knife. The nice part
of it is cutting other things as, say, potatoes, zucchini and cucumbers,
roast-beef, almost everything. Not everything because certain things can be
very damaging for the blade and themselves, as cheeses, for example: they
just overheat, getting a sour taste, and overheat the blade also, making it
lose sharpness in a glimpse.
Fot this reason many supermarkets here have a distinct slicer they use for
cheeses, a lower end model who they don't care too much of, just to slice
fontina, leerdammer, emmenthaler and other cheeses who nicely fit sliced in
a toast or sandwich.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'