Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default One Dozen Babies

Artichokes, that is!
I asked my husband to pick up one package of frozen artichoke hearts. I
only needed 4 ounces for a lamb ragout recipe I love making.
For whatever reason he comes home with a package of 12 baby artichokes.

Any ideas out there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Artichokes, that is!
> I asked my husband to pick up one package of frozen artichoke hearts. I
> only needed 4 ounces for a lamb ragout recipe I love making.
> For whatever reason he comes home with a package of 12 baby artichokes.
>
> Any ideas out there?

Oh I love baby artichokes! I never make em cuz they are a lot of work,
but here are some ideas:

trim them, steam them, and serve chilled in vinaigrette...or marinate
them for antipasta later in the week

trim, lightly steam, and stuff with breadcrumbs and anchovies and olive
oil and parmesan, and bake them in a casserole dish for 15-20 minutes
to brown them

trim them and deep fry them til crispy and seve with a good dipping
sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Oh I love baby artichokes! I never make em cuz they are a lot of work,
> but here are some ideas:
>
> trim them, steam them, and serve chilled in vinaigrette...or marinate
> them for antipasta later in the week
>
> trim, lightly steam, and stuff with breadcrumbs and anchovies and olive
> oil and parmesan, and bake them in a casserole dish for 15-20 minutes
> to brown them
>
> trim them and deep fry them til crispy and seve with a good dipping
> sauce

Thanks for the ideas. I have only ever had the big ones, so wasn't sure
how the babies were prepped and used. i bet deep frying them whole is
wonderful!! I'm not sure what I'll be doing with these as most of the
best sounding ideas are seriously fattening!!!! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Thanks for the ideas. I have only ever had the big ones, so wasn't sure
> how the babies were prepped and used. i bet deep frying them whole is
> wonderful!! I'm not sure what I'll be doing with these as most of the
> best sounding ideas are seriously fattening!!!! LOL

Goomba,

If you don't want fattening, and you want simple, just steam them. I
don't know how you do your big artichokes, but the baby ones can be
steamed and served plain or with whatever you usually use, such as
garlic butter, Italian dressing, etc. Baby artichokes can vary greatly
in size; I'd say steam the smallest ones for five minutes or so, and
about fifteen minutes for the biggest baby 'chokes. You can check them
just like the big ones by trying to put a fork into the outside of the
heart. If it goes in easily, they're done. I go with two or three per
person as a side dish.

HTH,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Jude wrote:
>
>> Oh I love baby artichokes! I never make em cuz they are a lot of
>> work, but here are some ideas:
>>
>> trim them, steam them, and serve chilled in vinaigrette...or marinate
>> them for antipasta later in the week
>>
>> trim, lightly steam, and stuff with breadcrumbs and anchovies and
>> olive oil and parmesan, and bake them in a casserole dish for 15-20
>> minutes to brown them
>>
>> trim them and deep fry them til crispy and seve with a good dipping
>> sauce
>>

> Thanks for the ideas. I have only ever had the big ones, so wasn't
> sure how the babies were prepped and used. i bet deep frying them
> whole is wonderful!! I'm not sure what I'll be doing with these as
> most of the best sounding ideas are seriously fattening!!!! LOL

I saw a show, Jewish Cooking with Joan Nathan on PBS, a number of years ago.
Her guest (after trimming the baby chokes) simply rolled them in an egg wash
and then in kosher salt and pan-fried them in olive oil until golden on all
sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby artichokes at
the store.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:

> If you don't want fattening, and you want simple, just steam them. I
> don't know how you do your big artichokes, but the baby ones can be
> steamed and served plain or with whatever you usually use, such as
> garlic butter, Italian dressing, etc. Baby artichokes can vary greatly
> in size; I'd say steam the smallest ones for five minutes or so, and
> about fifteen minutes for the biggest baby 'chokes. You can check them
> just like the big ones by trying to put a fork into the outside of the
> heart. If it goes in easily, they're done. I go with two or three per
> person as a side dish.

I've found out that more of the 'baby" choke is edible compared to the
larger artichokes. You still need to trim it out but apparently less on
the whole.
Ken, thanks for your reply. The timing information helps in particular.
Do you flavor your water when you steam yours?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Baby ? Ive had baby corn in Thailand for they dont know how to
cook corn as Mexicans do , they know corn-on-cob , and they
dump bay corn in all soups ...
They eat baby corn for its convenient ( eat the cob also ,cause its
not as bad a eating full grown corn cob )
But is that what baby art' is ? less work growing them
to maturity ?

I know you cant beat the unique flavor of full grown art' and butter
..
just cut bottoms flat and steam
( not in double broiler , but in an ordinary pan )
for 25 min ...
This is rich food !

Next issue , vinaigrette is vinegar and this ruins flavor ,
so why would anyone ruin flavor ?
No one eats a salad for anything but health , veggies must be
cooked hard and flavored to be etable .
so this is why vinegar , to cover the bad taste of salads /veggies .
Kids are smart , they know theres nothing good in veggies except
trace elements
and they know they allready have 1000 times too much trace
elements and Vit D , thats why they're restless ,
poisoned by their own parents ...
Vit D in milk is harmful to children .
If you miss trace , you will feel it , so why not wait til
you know you are short Folic acid or iron or , or , or ...
Iron is a killer , it takes several years to destroy the liver .

This is the first generation to O.D. on iron , it will be the last .

In 30 short years , no human will take vits , nor eat NutraSweet ,
they will not touch meds of any kind , not even tylenol , nor
asprin . The drug industry will not exist at all .
Everything we struggled to learn about medicine will be tossed .
The payoff is there will be no doctors nor hospitals .
No one will think disease , only enjoying their life !
Those genes that didnt quite measure up will never be seen
on earth because of natural competition .

Every human who knows they dont have top genes will sterilize
to enjoy a higher std of living , it wont have anything to do
with laws , nor govt , it will be

free people making free choices , carrying their own bags ....

> trim them, steam them, and serve chilled in vinaigrette...or marinate
> them for antipasta later in the week
>
> trim, lightly steam, and stuff with breadcrumbs and anchovies and olive
> oil and parmesan, and bake them in a casserole dish for 15-20 minutes
> to brown them
>
> trim them and deep fry them til crispy and seve with a good dipping
> sauce

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>
> > If you don't want fattening, and you want simple, just steam them. I
> > don't know how you do your big artichokes, but the baby ones can be
> > steamed and served plain or with whatever you usually use, such as
> > garlic butter, Italian dressing, etc. Baby artichokes can vary greatly
> > in size; I'd say steam the smallest ones for five minutes or so, and
> > about fifteen minutes for the biggest baby 'chokes. You can check them
> > just like the big ones by trying to put a fork into the outside of the
> > heart. If it goes in easily, they're done. I go with two or three per
> > person as a side dish.
> >

> I've found out that more of the 'baby" choke is edible compared to the
> larger artichokes. You still need to trim it out but apparently less on
> the whole.
> Ken, thanks for your reply. The timing information helps in particular.
> Do you flavor your water when you steam yours?

I steam artichokes in a combination of water, lemon juice, white wine,
and whole peppercorns. I serve the big guys warm with drawn butter or
aioli, or chilled with vinaigrette or garlicy mayo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

werty wrote:
> Baby ? Ive had baby corn in Thailand for they dont know how to
> cook corn as Mexicans do , they know corn-on-cob , and they
> dump bay corn in all soups ...
> They eat baby corn for its convenient ( eat the cob also ,cause its
> not as bad a eating full grown corn cob )
> But is that what baby art' is ? less work growing them
> to maturity ?
>
> I know you cant beat the unique flavor of full grown art' and butter

> .

Werty,

In case you're really asking: When artichokes grow, there's the one
big one in the middle and several "baby" ones off to the sides just
below the big one. It wouldn't matter if you left them on the plant
for a year, they wouldn't grow any bigger. (Well, if you left them on
the plant for a year, they'd end up blooming. But I'm sure you get the
idea.)

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>
> > If you don't want fattening, and you want simple, just steam them. I
> > don't know how you do your big artichokes, but the baby ones can be
> > steamed and served plain or with whatever you usually use, such as
> > garlic butter, Italian dressing, etc. Baby artichokes can vary greatly
> > in size; I'd say steam the smallest ones for five minutes or so, and
> > about fifteen minutes for the biggest baby 'chokes. You can check them
> > just like the big ones by trying to put a fork into the outside of the
> > heart. If it goes in easily, they're done. I go with two or three per
> > person as a side dish.
> >

> I've found out that more of the 'baby" choke is edible compared to the
> larger artichokes. You still need to trim it out but apparently less on
> the whole.
> Ken, thanks for your reply. The timing information helps in particular.
> Do you flavor your water when you steam yours?

No I don't usually flavor the water. I often eat vegies plain. I know
it's a cooking group, but I don't have a need to put seasoned butter on
my vegies. Sometimes I do, but not usually. In the summer, I grow
lots of herbs, and I think a few times I've steamed them on a bed of
herbs, especially basil.

And I don't trim them out. When you get in just a few leaves, you can
just tear off several leaves at once and the thorns aren't really
stiff. And a bit farther in, you can eat the entire leaf. And if
they're true baby 'chokes, they don't really have a choke and you can
eat the entire heart choke and all.

Enjoy,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby artichokes at
> the store.

We save them all for ourselves.

:-)

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby
>> artichokes at the store.

> We save them all for ourselves.
>
> :-)

LOL I wouldn't be at all surprised, Dan!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

> > sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby artichokes at
> > the store.

> We save them all for ourselves.

You're a hop, skip and a jump from Castroville. I'm only a couple of
hundred miles further away and never see fresh baby artichokes in the
markets. Well... once twenty years ago. I look every year.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 29 Nov 2006 10:48:01p, meant to say...

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:21:58 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>>In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>>

>>> sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby artichokes

at
>>> the store.

>>We save them all for ourselves.
>>
>>:-)

> I think the small ones are considered sub-quality... not sure why.
>
> I used to be jealous of other parts of the country that could get
> those HUGE artichokes we're charged a fortune for.
>
> I finally got the chance to eat an artichoke bigger than a softball
> Oh, man.... what a complete disappointment! It was bland and
> tasteless. It's no wonder you see people in other parts of this
> country posting recipes for "stuffed" artichokes. You have to stuff
> them to get any flavor. It was a one and only experience, no reason
> for a redo.... yes, it was *that* bad. So, I'm back to regular "extra
> large" artichokes and not wishing I could buy bigger ones at a
> reasonable price.

Make this...

Cream of Artichoke Soup Arnaud
(From Arnaud's in New Orleans.)

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
6 fresh artichoke bottoms, uncooked and sliced
2/3 cup finely chopped white onions
1 leek, cleaned and diced (white part only)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
1 quart water (I prefer half whole milk)
2 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream
2 Tbsp French brandy

Heat 3/4 stick of butter in a 3-qt. saucepan.

Saute the artichoke bottoms, onions, celery, leek, and garlic for 7-10 min.
Add the diced potato, the quart of water, and the salt and pepper.

Cover the pot and simmer the soup for 20 min. or until the potatoes become
very soft.

Add the whipping cream, the remaining 1/4 stick butter, and the French
brandy.

Ladle the contents of the pot into a blender and liquify. You will have to
do this in several batches, since there is more soup than will fit into the
blender jar at one time.

Pour the liquified contents into a bowl until all the soup has been
blended.

Pour the bowl of soup back in the pot, rewarm, and serve.

--
Wayne Boatwright

All it takes to write a trilogy is complete
ignorance of life and art.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:21:58 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> sides. They looked *yummy*! Sadly, I have never seen baby artichokes at
>> the store.

>We save them all for ourselves.
>
>:-)

I think the small ones are considered sub-quality... not sure why.

I used to be jealous of other parts of the country that could get
those HUGE artichokes we're charged a fortune for.

I finally got the chance to eat an artichoke bigger than a softball
Oh, man.... what a complete disappointment! It was bland and
tasteless. It's no wonder you see people in other parts of this
country posting recipes for "stuffed" artichokes. You have to stuff
them to get any flavor. It was a one and only experience, no reason
for a redo.... yes, it was *that* bad. So, I'm back to regular "extra
large" artichokes and not wishing I could buy bigger ones at a
reasonable price.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Artichokes, that is!
> I asked my husband to pick up one package of frozen artichoke hearts.
> I only needed 4 ounces for a lamb ragout recipe I love making.
> For whatever reason he comes home with a package of 12 baby
> artichokes.
> Any ideas out there?

The baby ones are the best for pickling!
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Make this...
>
> Cream of Artichoke Soup Arnaud
> (From Arnaud's in New Orleans.)
>
> 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
> 6 fresh artichoke bottoms, uncooked and sliced
> 2/3 cup finely chopped white onions
> 1 leek, cleaned and diced (white part only)
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
> 1 quart water (I prefer half whole milk)
> 2 1/4 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp white pepper
> 1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream
> 2 Tbsp French brandy
>
> Heat 3/4 stick of butter in a 3-qt. saucepan.
>
> Saute the artichoke bottoms, onions, celery, leek, and garlic for 7-10 min.
> Add the diced potato, the quart of water, and the salt and pepper.
>
> Cover the pot and simmer the soup for 20 min. or until the potatoes become
> very soft.
>
> Add the whipping cream, the remaining 1/4 stick butter, and the French
> brandy.
>
> Ladle the contents of the pot into a blender and liquify. You will have to
> do this in several batches, since there is more soup than will fit into the
> blender jar at one time.
>
> Pour the liquified contents into a bowl until all the soup has been
> blended.
>
> Pour the bowl of soup back in the pot, rewarm, and serve.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Oh, this sounds AMAZING!!! Except that when I buy artichokes, fresh and
whole, I never bother doing much with them other than steaming them and
delightingin their simplicity. But, i'd happily order it if I went
out.......or eat it if you invited me over for dinner =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30 Nov 2006 05:27:15 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Make this...
>>
>> Cream of Artichoke Soup Arnaud
>> (From Arnaud's in New Orleans.)
>>
>> 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter

<snip other ingreds>

>> 1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream
>> 2 Tbsp French brandy

>Oh, this sounds AMAZING!!!

<snip>

Any time a recipe starts out with 1 stick of butter and further on has
1 cup of whipping cream AND some brandy, you're pretty much guaranteed
an amazingly tasty dish :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 06:27:15a, Jude meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Make this...
>>
>> Cream of Artichoke Soup Arnaud
>> (From Arnaud's in New Orleans.)

<recipe snipped>

> Oh, this sounds AMAZING!!! Except that when I buy artichokes, fresh and
> whole, I never bother doing much with them other than steaming them and
> delightingin their simplicity. But, i'd happily order it if I went
> out.......or eat it if you invited me over for dinner =)

I love them steamed, too. I have made the soup a few times for guests when
I wanted to serve something "different", and it is delicious. I probably
wouldn't make it for just ourselves.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 30 Nov 2006 08:34:04a, TammyM meant to say...

> On 30 Nov 2006 05:27:15 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Make this...
>>>
>>> Cream of Artichoke Soup Arnaud
>>> (From Arnaud's in New Orleans.)
>>>
>>> 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter <snip other ingreds>

>>> 1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream 2 Tbsp French brandy Oh, this sounds
>>> AMAZING!!!

> <snip>
>
> Any time a recipe starts out with 1 stick of butter and further on has
> 1 cup of whipping cream AND some brandy, you're pretty much guaranteed
> an amazingly tasty dish :-)
>
> TammyM

LOL! True...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!

Half a dozen eggs! jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 74 04-02-2017 12:16 AM
Top Dozen Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 28-06-2014 02:47 PM
Only a dozen of posts this morning?????? Pandora General Cooking 7 15-11-2006 03:08 PM
4 dozen tamales made King's Crown General Cooking 14 21-12-2005 04:06 PM
Twelve Dozen Caramels Maureen Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2005 02:39 AM