Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default U drink espresso or cappuccinos at home?

I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
like espressos too.

Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.

I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
quite involved, not to mention costly.

I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions.

Mary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Queen Mary wrote:

> I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home
> can seem quite involved, not to mention costly.

That's right. The minimum equipment will run
a few hundred dollars. About half for the espresso
machine and half for the grinder. There are fake
espresso machines (derisively referred to as
"steam toys") which are much cheaper than real
espresso machines, but will produce disappointing
results.

> I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions.

If you want informed advice, read alt.coffee for
a while. This topic comes up from time to time,
and the advice changes as new machines come onto
the market. Although it hasn't happened yet,
one of these days somebody in Asia will develop
a decent espresso machine at a low price. That
will change everything.

In the meantime, you might investigate roasting
your own coffee. That makes a huge difference
in quality. You'll never go back to buying
roasted coffee. The equipment is inexpensive,
and it actually saves money to buy green beans
and roast them yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Queen Mary wrote:

> I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
> like espressos too.
>
> Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
> what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.
>
> I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
> quite involved, not to mention costly.
>
> I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions.

I start every day with espresso. Besides the fact that it is so
good, it is the best way I know to make one really good cup of
coffee. What I have is either a cappuccino or a latte. I am not
sure which. I make the espresso, steam the milk and add as much
milk as it takes to fill the cup. The sticklers can figure out
what they want to call it. I don't care. It's good.

When it comes to espresso machines, they can get very expensive.
I have had good results with my Krups, which is one of the least
expensive pump driven machines. Most others are much more
expensive. I thought about getting one but have learned from
people who repair them that they can be impossible to get parts
for. I don't see the point in paying $500-1500 for a good <?>
machine when I am likely to find myself with a broken and
unrepairable machine a few years later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you haven't already, you really should post your question over on the
alt.coffee newsgroup, or at least review recent postings. Those folks
take their coffee VERY seriously, and some are even knowledgeable and
helpful. Your question comes up regularly there, and they can step you
through the ins/outs and benefits/pitfalls of doing your own espresso
drinks at home and clue you in on the latest/greatest machines
available, which ones to avoid, etc.

But the bottom line is that you need to define what it is you want to
accomplish, and how much trouble and expense you want to invest. To
even come close to duplicating the espresso you get at a decent coffee
house, you'll need to invest at least a few hundred dollars for a
quality grinder and pump espresso machine setup.

Last time I checked (some time ago), Rancillio grinders and espresso
machines seem to be the ones most entry-level home espresso enthusiasts
are happiest with. Keep in mind that these are fairly simple, manual
machines compared to the much more automated ones used in the coffee
house, which generally cost many thousands and require regular
maintenance and (typically) frequent repair. You won't be able to pump
out drink after drink for a crowd with the typical home espresso
machine.

There are automatic espresso makers for home use that will grind and
brew your coffee for you, but the better ones are expensive and even
then may not produce consistent results.

At the other end of the spectrum, you can get a satisfying cup of moka
coffee with steamed milk from your stovetop for around $90 if you go for
something like the Bialetti Mukka Express, or a good bit less if you buy
a regular moka pot and scald/froth your milk in a separate saucepot.

You'll still need a decent grinder, though, for the freshest cup of
coffee. Plan on $80-$100 for one that can do a consistent grind without
overheating the coffee and producing a lot of powder. Grinders that
sell new in that price range may or may not work well with a pump
espresso machine; figure on another $100 for a good "espresso-grade"
grinder.

Good luck,
Bob
==========================
In article >, ferrante276-
says...
> I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
> like espressos too.
>
> Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
> what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.
>
> I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
> quite involved, not to mention costly.
>
> I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions.
>
> Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-25, Queen Mary > wrote:

> Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
> what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.

As a longtime coffee/espresso nut and rec.coffee regular, I'll stick
my neck out and give you my absolute minimum recommendation for the
hardware required to make *good* espresso. The minimum outlay is
right around $600, not including taxes. My recommendations:

1. Solis SL70 espresso machine $350
2. Baratza Virtuoso $200
3. non-pressurized dbl shot bskt $12
4. custom tamper $35

Sorry, but IMNSHO that's what it takes to make the real deal. If
you've got the money, I'd go about $200 more, but I don't think you're
going to get off for less. I see you're playing with a moka pot
brewer, but it's not the same animal no matter what they call it. You
can certainly try and do this with used hardware. I did and I saved
at least $300 off the prices I'm quoting. OTOH, I see myself moving
up sometime in the future. When you get serious about espresso, it's a
natural progression (obsession?).

I also recommend you get into roasting your own coffee. In fact, I
recommend you do this before commiting to serious espresso. But,
that's also just my opinion and you can do as you like.

Here are the links to my above items:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...U/coffeekid-20
http://www.1st-line.com/machines/hom...atza/index.htm
http://masl.to/?A2DE4324E
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.espresso.shtml

That last link, Sweet Maria's not only has an excellent tamper (plain
SS), but is one of the best home coffee roasting resources on the
internet. For even more info, check out:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/

.....and spend some time lurking on news:rec.coffee Good luck.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-25, notbob > wrote:

Oops!! ...couple mistakes

> 2. Baratza Virtuoso grinder $200

> ....and spend some time lurking on news:alt.coffee

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We have a Capresso brand machine, and make cappucinos a lot. Not too
hard; esspresso is easier. We use dark or French roast coffee from
Trader Joe's.

Steve, In Maryland

Queen Mary wrote:
> I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
> like espressos too.
>
> Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
> what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.
>
> I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
> quite involved, not to mention costly.
>
> I'm looking forward to your comments, suggestions.
>
> Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-26, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

> cappuccino machines for home use as huge as the ones in the coffee houses
> and restaurants?

No. My SL90 is about the size of half-case of bottled beer. The
grinder about the size of your typical blender.

> Sounds like an expensive proposition to do it the right
> way at home.

I ain't cheap.

> Also, does one use whole milk for the froth?

Non-fat froths easier than whole milk.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-26, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

>> I ain't cheap.

I meant to say "it ain't cheap". I'm not cheap, but I'm easy.

> Is this because of the skim milk's reduced/non fat content? I would assume
> so but whenever I assume... well you know

From what I understand, both more and less butterfat content is better
than whole milk. But, I'm not a reliable source on this subject as I have
neither the liking for moo-juice java drinks nor the desire to be an
accomplished latte artiste. I'm strictly straight espresso. Maybe a
tad bit of sugar on occasion.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-11-26, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:

> expresso, you most likely find me a coffee lightweight.....

DOH!!!.... you've committed the very worst faux paux! It's
"espresso" (shudder).

I should make clear the basis for the near anal obsession with the
right butterfat content. Hardcore latte and cappa freaks and the
baristas that pour them are into latte art (google for it). True
latte art requires not just foamed milk, but "micro-foam" milk.
Ooooh! Anyway, micro foam is harder to create than regular foam so
proper butterfat content becomes crucial. Got that?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Queen Mary wrote:
> I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
> like espressos too.
>
> Anyone here do so at home? If so, what do you use to make it as far as
> what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.
>
> I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
> quite involved, not to mention costly.

The only thing you need to know costs very little, good water. The
coffee is the coffee... choose what you like, whose to tell anyone what
coffee tastes good. As for equipment, there's no need to spend more
than $50. Coffee is like 99.99999% water... you can spend thousands of
dollars, tens of thousands of dollars on equipment, but if you use
lousy water all your money is totally wasted. Whatever money you spend
over $50 on a coffee brewing machine is all bells, whistles, and
hype.... anyone tells you differently has more dollars than brain
cells.

Espresso is nothng but over roasted (scorched) coffee anyway... it's
how lousy beans are used up.... many years ago it's what the Italian
royalty gave the peasants so they'd not revolt to get their caffeine
fix. Today they use even poorer beans for espresso, so they add all
sorts of wild flavorings (most artificial) to hide the fact that the
coffee sucks. Even bitter, burnt, iodine tasting vile brew will become
familiar when drunk often enough... add fake flavorings and frothed
cream and the morons will think they have nectar of the gods.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
> > expresso, you most likely find me a coffee lightweight.....

> DOH!!!.... you've committed the very worst faux paux! It's
> "espresso" (shudder).

Actually it is eXpresso... quickie coffee. LOL

> I should make clear the basis for the near anal obsession with the
> right butterfat content. Hardcore latte and cappa freaks and the
> baristas that pour them are into latte art (google for it). True
> latte art requires not just foamed milk, but "micro-foam" milk.
> Ooooh! Anyway, micro foam is harder to create than regular foam so
> proper butterfat content becomes crucial. Got that?

Latch onto a a pair of 40" lactating Double Ds and what butterfat.
Anyone who drinks coffee made with anything but pure water knows
nothing about coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:51:38 -0500, Queen Mary
> wrote:

>I like going to coffee houses and drinking mostly cappuccinos, but I
>like espressos too.
>
>Anyone here do so at home?

Yep.

> If so, what do you use to make it as far as
>what type of machine (brand) and coffee, stuff like that.

At Guy's house, they use Peets Italian Roast, ground in a burr
grinder. We buy the organic coffee at the Berkeley Bowl, our local
fabulous grocery store.

>I have visited coffee sites and to make these drinks at home can seem
>quite involved, not to mention costly.

Not with a decent espresso maker, but the maker itself can be pricey.
We got ours free on the side of the road. Leaks a little, but works
great.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-11-26, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan > wrote:
>
> >> I ain't cheap.

> I meant to say "it ain't cheap". I'm not cheap, but I'm easy.
>
> > Is this because of the skim milk's reduced/non fat content? I would assume
> > so but whenever I assume... well you know

> From what I understand, both more and less butterfat content is better
> than whole milk. But, I'm not a reliable source on this subject as I have
> neither the liking for moo-juice java drinks nor the desire to be an
> accomplished latte artiste. I'm strictly straight espresso. Maybe a
> tad bit of sugar on occasion.
>
> nb

I used to manage a coffee house...we always used 2% milk for steaming
to make the best froth.