Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default that gacky sweet potato thing

When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you
put the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??

I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't
call for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.

I eagerly await your response
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you put
> the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>
> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't call
> for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>
> I eagerly await your response

My recipe says put them on at the end; leave the casserole uncovered and
bake for about 5 minutes more until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
You can turn up the oven heat to 400-450°F to speed up the browning, but you
need to watch the marshmallows very carefully as they go from perfectly done
to burnt in the blink of an eye (voice of experience here!).

Gacky sweet potato things rule! LOL

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:24:31 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you
>put the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>
>I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't
>call for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>
>I eagerly await your response

Add the marshmallows a few minutes toward the end. Bake until the
marshmallows are gooey and brown on top. Your kidlet thanks you!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen in NC wrote:

> My recipe says put them on at the end; leave the casserole uncovered and
> bake for about 5 minutes more until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
> You can turn up the oven heat to 400-450°F to speed up the browning, but you
> need to watch the marshmallows very carefully as they go from perfectly done
> to burnt in the blink of an eye (voice of experience here!).
>
> Gacky sweet potato things rule! LOL
>
> Karen

LOL, thanks... a bit tooo sweet for my tastes but I think it was a good
recipe. I actually tried a smidgeon (it is in the oven as I type) and it
was a touch better than I recall?
I have the big jet puffed marshmallows at the ready!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> Add the marshmallows a few minutes toward the end. Bake until the
> marshmallows are gooey and brown on top. Your kidlet thanks you!
>
> Happy Thanksgiving,
> Tara

LOL.. she's five..what does she know? (tic)
Thanks for the response.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you put
> the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>
> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't call
> for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>
> I eagerly await your response

Sounds awful - but then I don't like fruit cake.

Happy Thanksgiving - we celebrated ours a month ago.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 05:01:04p, meant to say...

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:57:01 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
m...
>>> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you
>>> put the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>>>
>>> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't
>>> call for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>>>
>>> I eagerly await your response

>>Sounds awful - but then I don't like fruit cake.
>>
>>Happy Thanksgiving - we celebrated ours a month ago.
>>
>>elaine
>>

> I just found this one on the Land O Lakes recipe site. It sounds more
> grown up than marshmallows, but Goomba *is* doing the marshmallows for
> her 5 year old, so I don't blame her. My adult son has been known to
> request it too. Thanksgiving is that time of year when holiday
> comfort food such as marshmallows on yams, green bean with mushroom
> soup casserole and jello salads are expected.
>
> SWEET POTATOES WITH SUGARED PECANS
> Sweet, crunchy pecans enhance this sweet potato side dish.
>
> Preparation time: 45 min Baking time: 20 min
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> Potatoes Ingredients:
> 4 medium orange sweet potatoes or yams, cut into 2-inch
> chunks
> 2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
> 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/8 teaspoon pepper
>
> Pecans Ingredients:
> 1 tablespoon LAND O LAKES® Butter
> 1/4 cup chopped pecans
> 2 teaspoons sugar
> 1/4 cup sliced green onions
>
> Combine sweet potatoes and enough water to cover in 4-quart saucepan.
> Cook over high heat until water comes to a boil (5 to 6 minutes).
> Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook until potatoes are tender (30 to 35
> minutes). Drain. Cool slightly. Peel potatoes.
>
> Heat oven to 375°F. Place sweet potatoes and all remaining potato
> ingredients in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often,
> until smooth.
>
> Spoon potato mixture into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Cover;
> bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
>
> Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in small nonstick skillet until
> sizzling; add pecans and sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring
> constantly, until pecans are golden (2 to 3 minutes). Remove from
> heat.
>
> Just before serving, sprinkle potatoes with pecans and green onions.
>
> Recipe Tip
> To Make Ahead:
> Prepare sweet potato mixture and pecans as directed. Do not bake the
> sweet potato mixture; cover and refrigerate. Before meal time, heat
> oven to 375°F; bake as directed. Just before serving, sprinkle with
> pecans and onions.

I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some mashed/casserole form,
with or without marshmallows. I know I did as a kid, but I don't care for
them in any mashed form now, except in sweet potato pie.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you put
>> the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>>
>> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't call
>> for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>>
>> I eagerly await your response

>Sounds awful - but then I don't like fruit cake.
>
>Happy Thanksgiving - we celebrated ours a month ago.
>
>elaine

I just found this one on the Land O Lakes recipe site. It sounds more
grown up than marshmallows, but Goomba *is* doing the marshmallows for
her 5 year old, so I don't blame her. My adult son has been known to
request it too. Thanksgiving is that time of year when holiday
comfort food such as marshmallows on yams, green bean with mushroom
soup casserole and jello salads are expected.

SWEET POTATOES WITH SUGARED PECANS
Sweet, crunchy pecans enhance this sweet potato side dish.

Preparation time: 45 min Baking time: 20 min
Yield: 6 servings

Potatoes Ingredients:
4 medium orange sweet potatoes or yams, cut into 2-inch
chunks
2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Pecans Ingredients:
1 tablespoon LAND O LAKES® Butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Combine sweet potatoes and enough water to cover in 4-quart saucepan.
Cook over high heat until water comes to a boil (5 to 6 minutes).
Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook until potatoes are tender (30 to 35
minutes). Drain. Cool slightly. Peel potatoes.

Heat oven to 375°F. Place sweet potatoes and all remaining potato
ingredients in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often,
until smooth.

Spoon potato mixture into lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Cover;
bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.

Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in small nonstick skillet until
sizzling; add pecans and sugar. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring
constantly, until pecans are golden (2 to 3 minutes). Remove from
heat.

Just before serving, sprinkle potatoes with pecans and green onions.

Recipe Tip
To Make Ahead:
Prepare sweet potato mixture and pecans as directed. Do not bake the
sweet potato mixture; cover and refrigerate. Before meal time, heat
oven to 375°F; bake as directed. Just before serving, sprinkle with
pecans and onions.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you
> put the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>
> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't
> call for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.

This reply might be too late, but what I have always done is add the
marshmallows at the very end and cook them just enough so they melt and
form little white blobs on the potatoes. Some people, such as my mom,
would put the marshmallows in at the start. Either way is good, but I
prefer to see some vestige of marshmallow when I make that recipe,
although its been a few years since the last time I did that.

These days, I much prefer to simply throw some whole sweet potatoes in
the oven and bake them like regular potatoes, then slather butter on
them just like regular baked potatoes. Some people add a dash or two of
ground nutmeg and cinnamon, but butter is all I need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:

> When folks make that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows, do you
> put the marshmallows on the entire baking time or just at the end??
>
> I've just made my first one, by request, but the recipe I used didn't
> call for marshmallows on top and the kidlet wants 'em there.
>
> I eagerly await your response

I put mine in at the beginning -- that way they melt into the
liquid. I hate marshmellows and can only tolerate them melted,
when they're just sugar...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 01:07:10a, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> This reply might be too late, but what I have always done is add the
>> marshmallows at the very end and cook them just enough so they melt and
>> form little white blobs on the potatoes.

> I did as a few folks suggested and put them on at the end. My only
> glitch was that I bought the big JetPuff ones and perhaps the
> minimarshmallows would have worked better?
> The recipe wasn't as horribly sweet as I've tasted in the past. I'd like
> to try recreating it but cutting it with some apples or something to
> bake with the sweet potaotes.

My grandmother used to add unsweetened pineapple to her sweet potato
casserole. She would bury a few standard-sized marshmallows in the
mixture, but not put any on top. The casserole was baked until the top of
the potatoes was lighly browned. (This was before the "jet-puffed" variety
replaced the standard marshmallow.) The tangy pineapple was a nice
contrast.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> This reply might be too late, but what I have always done is add the
> marshmallows at the very end and cook them just enough so they melt and
> form little white blobs on the potatoes.

I did as a few folks suggested and put them on at the end. My only
glitch was that I bought the big JetPuff ones and perhaps the
minimarshmallows would have worked better?
The recipe wasn't as horribly sweet as I've tasted in the past. I'd like
to try recreating it but cutting it with some apples or something to
bake with the sweet potaotes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Tara wrote:
>
>> Add the marshmallows a few minutes toward the end. Bake until the
>> marshmallows are gooey and brown on top. Your kidlet thanks you!
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving,
>> Tara
>>

> LOL.. she's five..what does she know? (tic)
> Thanks for the response.

My advice, which doesn't count for much, is don't get her hooked on it or
anything else sweet. I saw something on television recently which said once
you start feeding young children fruit they get hooked on the sweet and
don't care for anything like vegetables. Makes sense to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Nov 2006 01:20:48 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some mashed/casserole form,
>with or without marshmallows. I know I did as a kid, but I don't care for
>them in any mashed form now, except in sweet potato pie.

Times change, people grow up, tastes mature. But sometimes we want
what we liked as kids.... certain people call it comfort food.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 03:28:24 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> I saw something on television recently which said once
>you start feeding young children fruit they get hooked on the sweet and
>don't care for anything like vegetables. Makes sense to me.

Kids naturally like sweet things (especially babies). It's the nature
of the beast. Feeding kids a sweet thing every now and then won't
hurt them or turn them into sugar addicts. I know. I raised two of
them and sweets were always way down their list, even now as adults
who are free to eat whatever they wish as long as they can pay for it.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 03:07:10 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>The recipe wasn't as horribly sweet as I've tasted in the past. I'd like
>to try recreating it but cutting it with some apples or something to
>bake with the sweet potaotes.

I've had peaches with that concoction and peaches are a great
addition. I think peaches would be even better with the pecan topped
version!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some mashed/casserole
> form, with or without marshmallows. I know I did as a kid, but I
> don't care for them in any mashed form now, except in sweet potato
> pie.

Try them this way: Bake 4 or five large sweet potatoes in their skins until
soft. Let cool, and peel. Mash. Stir in 1 stick melted butter, about 1/2 tsp
cinnamon; grated fresh numeg, ground fresh pepper, and salt to taste; and
about 1/3 cup bourbon. Transfer to baking dish. All may be done ahead. Bake
in oven until hot. (Sprinkle with a little brown sugar if you wish.)
Marshmallows on sweet potatoes? YUCK!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 08:48:13a, Janet Puistonen meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some mashed/casserole
>> form, with or without marshmallows. I know I did as a kid, but I
>> don't care for them in any mashed form now, except in sweet potato
>> pie.

> Try them this way: Bake 4 or five large sweet potatoes in their skins
> until soft. Let cool, and peel. Mash. Stir in 1 stick melted butter,
> about 1/2 tsp cinnamon; grated fresh numeg, ground fresh pepper, and
> salt to taste; and about 1/3 cup bourbon. Transfer to baking dish. All
> may be done ahead. Bake in oven until hot. (Sprinkle with a little brown
> sugar if you wish.) Marshmallows on sweet potatoes? YUCK!!

I might like that. WHen I make caidied sweet potatoes, I usually put in a
splash of bourbon or dark rum. Great addition.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 08:24:22a, meant to say...

> On 24 Nov 2006 01:20:48 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some mashed/casserole
>>form, with or without marshmallows. I know I did as a kid, but I don't
>>care for them in any mashed form now, except in sweet potato pie.

> Times change, people grow up, tastes mature. But sometimes we want
> what we liked as kids.... certain people call it comfort food.

You're so right. In fact, in the past couple of years I've made a point of
making some dishes that I hadn't had in many years. I think it was the
comfort/nostalgia factor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" > said:
> Goomba38 wrote:
> > Tara wrote:
> >
> >> Add the marshmallows a few minutes toward the end. Bake until the
> >> marshmallows are gooey and brown on top. Your kidlet thanks you!
> >>
> >> Happy Thanksgiving,
> >> Tara
> >>

> > LOL.. she's five..what does she know? (tic)
> > Thanks for the response.

> My advice, which doesn't count for much, is don't get her hooked on it or
> anything else sweet. I saw something on television recently which said once
> you start feeding young children fruit they get hooked on the sweet and
> don't care for anything like vegetables. Makes sense to me.

This kind of blanket child care statement is just wrong, but it
doesn't stop television producers from proffering it. I fed Buddy
(DS - 9) pureed fruit and veggie at every meal, once he was old
enough for solid food. He still likes them both quite a bit. AAMOF,
he's better about eating veggies than his old mom...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 08:48:13a, Janet Puistonen meant to
> say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> I think kids generally prefer sweet potatoes in some
>>> mashed/casserole form, with or without marshmallows. I know I did
>>> as a kid, but I don't care for them in any mashed form now, except
>>> in sweet potato pie.

>> Try them this way: Bake 4 or five large sweet potatoes in their skins
>> until soft. Let cool, and peel. Mash. Stir in 1 stick melted butter,
>> about 1/2 tsp cinnamon; grated fresh numeg, ground fresh pepper, and
>> salt to taste; and about 1/3 cup bourbon. Transfer to baking dish.
>> All may be done ahead. Bake in oven until hot. (Sprinkle with a
>> little brown sugar if you wish.) Marshmallows on sweet potatoes?
>> YUCK!!

> I might like that. WHen I make caidied sweet potatoes, I usually put
> in a splash of bourbon or dark rum. Great addition.

I normally do not add the brown sugar on top, and it is plenty sweet but in
an adult way.

(I also do not understand why anyone would BOIL sweet potatoes in order to
mash them.....they turn out perfectly when baked, and don't lose any
flavor.)