Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cardamom replacement question

Hi all

I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
a substitute?

Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

I'm not sure there is any acceptable substitute for cardamom. Perhaps
one reason it's so expensive.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote in message
news.net...
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

There is no substitute. Nothing else tastes like it. What is the recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

Nothing I can think of- what are you making?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

Try another store? Sometimes it's spelled with a K, but if you really
cannot find it, if it's a recipe for a baked good (like a cake or
cookie), then you could probably use Cinnamon instead, but it won't
taste like it's intended to. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Cardamom Cherry Bread

1 Stick Butter -- Softened
3/4 C Granulated Sugar
2 Eggs -- Beaten
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
cherries)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs and extract.

Soft dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Stir in
the cherries and mix until combined.

Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 55 min. Insert a skewer
or cake tester; it will come out dry when the bread is done. Cool for
10 min in the pan and turn out on a rack to fully cool. This is best
eaten the next day.

This is a great bread to serve with coffee. I served it when I had
some guests from Norway & they liked it very much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> sandi wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> > Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> > a substitute?
> >
> > Thank you.

> Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
> spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!
>
> Cardamom Cherry Bread

> 1 Stick Butter -- Softened
> 3/4 C Granulated Sugar
> 2 Eggs -- Beaten
> 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
> 1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
> 1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
> 1/2 Tsp Salt
> 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
> 1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
> cherries)
>
> Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 9 x 5" loaf pan.
>
> Cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs and extract.
>
> Soft dry ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Stir in
> the cherries and mix until combined.
>
> Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake for 45 - 55 min. Insert a skewer
> or cake tester; it will come out dry when the bread is done. Cool for
> 10 min in the pan and turn out on a rack to fully cool. This is best
> eaten the next day.
>
> This is a great bread to serve with coffee. I served it when I had
> some guests from Norway & they liked it very much.

Oh, I love cherries! Do you think that canned cherries would substitute
well, now that it's winter? A little hard to get fresh cherries here in
the northeast!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> Oh, I love cherries! Do you think that canned cherries would substitute
> well, now that it's winter? A little hard to get fresh cherries here in
> the northeast!

I don't see why not. I think I used them once in this recipe. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"denise~*" > wrote:

> sandi wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> > Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> > a substitute?
> >
> > Thank you.

> Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
> spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!
>
> Cardamom Cherry Bread

> 1 Stick Butter -- Softened
> 3/4 C Granulated Sugar
> 2 Eggs -- Beaten
> 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
> 1 3/4 C King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
> 1/2 Tbsp Cardamom
> 1/2 Tsp Salt
> 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
> 1 C Fresh Pitted Cherries -- (or 1/2 lb unpitted
> cherries)

There's really no substitute. However, it might work to use nutmeg,
allspice or mace. It won't taste the same, but it might be good.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
>a substitute?

Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
Now that I've said my piece about it....
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4081640AAiKuiT

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:21:26 -0800, sf wrote:

>On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>>Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
>>a substitute?
>>

>Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
>Now that I've said my piece about it....
>http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4081640AAiKuiT

See, this is one of those things that shows you are a foodie...LOL.
Me, I would have gone from store to store til I found it....or at
least til I got worn out...LOL. I get that obsessed sometimes....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi > wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?

I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom, and discovered
that it's because it very rapidly loses its aroma and flavour once in
the ground form. Can you buy whole cardamom pods locally? If so, then
take about 20 or so of these, crack open the pods and put the little
black seeds inside into a pestle and mortar, discarding the green pod
cases. Then you can grind up the seeds and have fresh cardamom powder.
It is a beautiful spice and the fresh ground seeds are totally different
to using the whole pods in things such as Indian cookery.

HTH

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> sandi > wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
>> a substitute?

> I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom

Do you live in the USA? If yes, what are the names of the grocery stores you
have access to?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you have any Indian or Pakistani grocery stores in your area, check
with them. They'll probably have the whole pods in a couple of
different varieties. Grind up the seeds inside the pods as another
poster described, and you're in business.

Bob
===================
In article .net>,
lid says...
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

> Do you live in the USA? If yes, what are the names of the grocery stores you
> have access to?

Sorry, no - I'm in the UK, and cardamom pods are available pretty much
everywhere in supermarkets, or from online spice suppliers.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

denise~* wrote:
> sandi wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
>> a substitute?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
> spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

Penzey's has it for $3.29 for a 1.2 ounce jar. Great stuff.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...scardamom.html

I use it for this recipe and it is WONDERFUL!!!

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf
>
> Recipe By : Amy Finnerty in Southern Living, March 2004.
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
> Categories : Beef Main Dishes

> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 carrots, finely diced
> 1 large onion, finely diced
> 1 zucchini, finely diced
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed into a paste
> 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
> 1 teaspoon cumin
> 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 1 pound ground chuck
> 1 pound ground lamb, or additional beef
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup Ketchup
> 1/3 cup plain yogurt
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 tablespoons ketchup for topping loaves
>
> In 12 inch nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the
> carrots, onion and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the
> vegetables are tender. About 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1
> minute longer. Stir in the cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, black
> pepper and cook 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly.
>
> Preheat over to 375 degrees. In a large bowl combine beef, lamb, eggs,
> bread crumbs ketchup, yogurt, salt and cooked vegetable mixture just
> until well blended but not over mixed.
>
> Shape into meatloaf in baking dish and spread the top with the remaining
> 2 Tbl ketchup. Bake 1 hour 15 min. Let stand 10 minutes to set before
> carving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> sandi > wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
>> a substitute?

> I have found it nearly impossible to get ground cardamom, and discovered
> that it's because it very rapidly loses its aroma and flavour once in
> the ground form. Can you buy whole cardamom pods locally?

The pods as well as ground are readily available at Penzey's
www.penzeys.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?
>
> Thank you.

If you are really in a pinch you could get by with a little
nutmeg and/or cinnamon. It won't be the same, but will be
similar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in
oups.com:

> sandi wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I
>> use as a substitute?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Nothing I can think of- what are you making?

Pfeffernusses, German cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"denise~*" > wrote in
oups.com:

> sandi wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I
>> use as a substitute?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Try another store? Sometimes it's spelled with a K,

OH! Okay. Thanks

>but if
> you really cannot find it, if it's a recipe for a baked good
> (like a cake or cookie), then you could probably use Cinnamon
> instead, but it won't taste like it's intended to. Otherwise,
> I have no clue.

Thanks again

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi >
> wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>>Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I
>>use as a substitute?
>>

> Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
> Now that I've said my piece about it....
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...114081640AAiKu
> iT

Thank you for thelink!! I'm leaning toward nutmeg vs. cinnamon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob > wrote in
:

> If you have any Indian or Pakistani grocery stores in your
> area, check with them. They'll probably have the whole pods
> in a couple of different varieties. Grind up the seeds inside
> the pods as another poster described, and you're in business.
>
> Bob

Thanks for for the tip! :-)

...In fact... thanks to all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> denise~* wrote:
> > sandi wrote:
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> >> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> >> a substitute?
> >>
> >> Thank you.

> > Ohh, and like someone else mentioned, if you find it, be prepared to
> > spend a pretty penny, but it's so worth it!

> Penzey's has it for $3.29 for a 1.2 ounce jar. Great stuff.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...scardamom.html
>
> I use it for this recipe and it is WONDERFUL!!!

Recipe printed and saved, will try. Cardamom and lamb are both high on
my list.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom.

Any Indian market will have the various types of cardamom pods... don't
buy ground cardamom as it loses flavor rapidly.

> What can I use as a substitute?

No other spice is quite like cardamom but for baked goods you can
substitue a mixture of ginger with a small bit of white pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> sandi wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> > Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom.

> Any Indian market will have the various types of cardamom pods... don't
> buy ground cardamom as it loses flavor rapidly.
>
> > What can I use as a substitute?

> No other spice is quite like cardamom but for baked goods you can
> substitue a mixture of ginger with a small bit of white pepper.

I've never used cardamom before, so I while I was at the grocery store
earlier today, I bought a very small amount of ground cardamom seeds
(0.08 lb) for curiousity more than anything else. I was greatly
reminded of ginger ale when I sniffed its aroma.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23 Nov 2006 00:14:25 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>sf wrote in :
>
>> On 22 Nov 2006 17:08:58 GMT, sandi >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all
>>>
>>>I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
>>>Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I
>>>use as a substitute?
>>>

>> Nothing will replace the cardamom flavor. It's *that* unique.
>> Now that I've said my piece about it....
>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...114081640AAiKu
>> iT

>Thank you for the link!! I'm leaning toward nutmeg vs. cinnamon.

You're welcome. Personally, I'd go with allspice if you have any.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:55:16 -0600, skyhooks
> wrote:
>
>I've never used cardamom before, so I while I was at the grocery store
>earlier today, I bought a very small amount of ground cardamom seeds
>(0.08 lb) for curiousity more than anything else. I was greatly
>reminded of ginger ale when I sniffed its aroma.

Find a cardamom bread recipe - there are lots of them on the net - and
make it. Oh, my goodness - you'll think you've died and gone to
heaven. It's fabulous toasted! When I make it, that's my breakfast
for the next couple of days.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> You're welcome. Personally, I'd go with allspice if you have
> any.

Allspice it is then. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> "merryb" wrote:
> > sandi wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> >> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I
> >> use as a substitute?

> > Nothing I can think of- what are you making?

> Pfeffernusses, German cookies.

Most Pfeffernuesse recipes don't contain cardamom, and cardemom is a
very *potent* spice, 1 tsp is a tremendous amout for one typical recipe
of those cookies, usually a small pinch will do. If you can't find
cardamom don't try to substitute or you're liable to screw up the
entire batch, just leave it out.

Meanwhile buy some whole cardamom pods from Penzeys and store them in
your freezer, frozen they will keep well practically forever. Don't
buy powdered cardmom, not even from Penzeys, once ground its potency
diminishes rather rapidly, and with ground you never know what/who is
in it.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/870/0.shtml

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 06:19:34p, sandi meant to say...

> "Sheldon" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>

>> sandi wrote:

>>> Pfeffernusses, German cookies.

>> Most Pfeffernuesse recipes don't contain cardamom, and
>> cardemom is a very *potent* spice, 1 tsp is a tremendous amout
>> for one typical recipe of those cookies, usually a small pinch
>> will do. If you can't find cardamom don't try to substitute
>> or you're liable to screw up the entire batch, just leave it out.
>>
>> Meanwhile buy some whole cardamom pods from Penzeys and store
>> them in your freezer, frozen they will keep well practically
>> forever. Don't buy powdered cardmom, not even from Penzeys, once
>> ground its potency diminishes rather rapidly, and with ground you
>> never know what/who is in it.
>>
>> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/870/0.shtml
>>
>> Sheldon

> Thank you Sheldon.
>
> I may try 2 batches of recipe. One without and one with a
> substitute. I'm curous now. :-)

Pfefferneusse is meant to be a *very* spicy cookie. I bake them every
Christmas, along with a number of other German cookies.

One teaspoon of ground cardamon is not at all too much for the recipe. I
will agree that the best flavor comes from whole seeds that have just been
ground.

Agreed that If you buy caradamon seeds whole in the pods, they will last a
remarkably long time, as opposed to that which is already ground.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in
ups.com:

> sandi wrote:

>> > Nothing I can think of- what are you making?

>> Pfeffernusses, German cookies.

> Most Pfeffernuesse recipes don't contain cardamom, and
> cardemom is a very *potent* spice, 1 tsp is a tremendous amout
> for one typical recipe of those cookies, usually a small pinch
> will do. If you can't find cardamom don't try to substitute
> or you're liable to screw up the entire batch, just leave it
> out.
>
> Meanwhile buy some whole cardamom pods from Penzeys and store
> them in your freezer, frozen they will keep well practically
> forever. Don't buy powdered cardmom, not even from Penzeys,
> once ground its potency diminishes rather rapidly, and with
> ground you never know what/who is in it.
>
> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/870/0.shtml
>
> Sheldon

Thank you Sheldon.

I may try 2 batches of recipe. One without and one with a
substitute. I'm curous now. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>

> > sandi wrote:

> >> Pfeffernusses, German cookies.

> > Most Pfeffernuesse recipes don't contain cardamom, and
> > cardemom is a very *potent* spice, 1 tsp is a tremendous amout
> > for one typical recipe of those cookies, usually a small pinch
> > will do. If you can't find cardamom don't try to substitute
> > or you're liable to screw up the entire batch, just leave it
> > out.
> >
> > Meanwhile buy some whole cardamom pods from Penzeys and store
> > them in your freezer, frozen they will keep well practically
> > forever. Don't buy powdered cardmom, not even from Penzeys,
> > once ground its potency diminishes rather rapidly, and with
> > ground you never know what/who is in it.
> >
> > http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/870/0.shtml
> >
> > Sheldon

> Thank you Sheldon.
>
> I may try 2 batches of recipe. One without and one with a
> substitute. I'm curous now. :-)

Ground ginger with white pepper is the best substitute I know of but
still I'd not until you've done some experimenting... and for that
you'd need some cardamom for comparison, especially since I presume
you've not much if any experience with it. Cardamom is also a
developed taste, many don't like it so at first go easy with it's use.

cardamom
[KAR-duh-muhm]
A member of the GINGER family, this aromatic spice is native to India
and grows in many other tropical areas including Asia, South America
and the Pacific Islands. Cardamom seeds are encapsulated in small pods
about the size of a cranberry. Each pod contains 17 to 20 tiny seeds.
Cardamom has a pungent aroma and a warm, spicy-sweet flavor. It's
widely used in Scandinavian and East Indian cooking. Cardamom can be
purchased either in the pod or ground. The latter, though more
convenient, is not as full-flavored because cardamom seeds begin to
lose their essential oils as soon as they're ground. The seeds may be
removed from the pods and ground, or the entire pod may be ground. A
MORTAR AND PESTLE make quick work of the grinding. If using cardamom to
flavor dishes such as stews and curries, lightly crush the shell of the
pod and add the pod and seeds to the mixture. The shell will
disintegrate while the dish cooks. Be frugal when using cardamom - *a
little goes a long way*.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Penzeys:

Cardamom
"An extremely flavorful and ancient spice native to India, cardamom's
use has spread throughout the world, with nearly every culture having
its own distinctive use for the flavorful seeds. In India where both
green and black cardamom are used, it is an important ingredient in
meat and vegetable dishes. In parts of the Middle East the seeds are
mixed with green coffee beans before brewing. In Northern Europe
(especially Scandinavia) white cardamom is used to season baked goods
such as Christmas stollen, cakes, cookies, muffins and buns. Green
cardamom is preferred in India and the Middle East. Cardamom is a pod
consisting of an outer shell with little flavor, and tiny inner seeds
with *intense flavor*. Fancy white and green pods have no splits or
cracks in the shell, so the flavor keeps well. Stored in a glass jar,
cardamom pods will stay fresh indefinitely. Shelled or decorticated
cardamom seeds are inexpensive and flavorful, but sometimes need to be
crushed or ground before use. Ground cardamom has an intensely strong
flavor and is easy to use (especially in baking, where the fine powder
is desirable). Black cardamom, long a staple in African cooking, was
originally used in India as a cheap substitute for green cardamom pods.
Black cardamom has a unique smoky flavor and has developed its own
following over the years."
---

GRAMERCY TAVERN GINGERBREAD

The use of leavening in a cake is first recorded in a recipe for
gingerbread from Amelia Simmons's American Cookery, published in
Hartford in 1796; I guess you could say it is the original great
American cake. Early-19th-century cookbooks included as many recipes
for this as contemporary cookbooks do for chocolate cake. This recipe,
from Claudia Fleming, pastry chef at New York City's Gramercy Tavern,
is superlative-wonderfully moist and spicy.
Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 1 3/4 hr

1 cup oatmeal stout or Guinness Stout
1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cardamom
3 large eggs
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Special equipment: a 10-inch (10- to 12-cup) bundt pan

Accompaniment: unsweetened whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously butter bundt pan and dust with
flour, knocking out excess.

Bring stout and molasses to a boil in a large saucepan and remove from
heat. Whisk in baking soda, then cool to room temperature.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and spices in a large bowl. Whisk
together eggs and sugars. Whisk in oil, then molasses mixture. Add to
flour mixture and whisk until just combined.

Pour batter into bundt pan and rap pan sharply on counter to eliminate
air bubbles. Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out with just
a few moist crumbs adhering, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a
rack 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool completely.

Serve cake, dusted with confectioners sugar, with whipped cream.

Cooks' notes:
· This recipe was tested with Grandma's brand green-label molasses.
· Like the chocolate decadence cake, the gingerbread is better if
made a day ahead. It will keep 3 days, covered, at room temperature.

Serves 8 to 10

Gourmet
February 2000
Claudia Fleming
Gramercy Tavern, New York, NY

Epicurious.com
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a recipe that calls for 1 tsp. of Cardmom.
> Went to the store and lo & behold, NO cardamom. What can I use as
> a substitute?

More info: http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Elet_car.html

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 23 Nov 2006 06:19:34p, sandi meant to say...
>
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in
> > ups.com:

> >> Most Pfeffernuesse recipes don't contain cardamom, and
> >> cardemom is a very *potent* spice, 1 tsp is a tremendous amout
> >> for one typical recipe of those cookies, usually a small pinch
> >> will do. If you can't find cardamom don't try to substitute
> >> or you're liable to screw up the entire batch, just leave it out.
> >>
> >> Meanwhile buy some whole cardamom pods from Penzeys and store
> >> them in your freezer, frozen they will keep well practically
> >> forever. Don't buy powdered cardmom, not even from Penzeys, once
> >> ground its potency diminishes rather rapidly, and with ground you
> >> never know what/who is in it.
> >>
> >> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/870/0.shtml
> >>
> >> Sheldon

> > Thank you Sheldon.
> >
> > I may try 2 batches of recipe. One without and one with a
> > substitute. I'm curous now. :-)
> >

> Pfefferneusse is meant to be a *very* spicy cookie.
> One teaspoon of ground cardamon is not at all too much for the recipe.

The spiciness of pfefferneusse comes from pepper, in German pfeffer is
pepper. Cardamon adds a unique flavor but is not a spicy (hot)
spice... cardamon is more for perfuming food and beverages (coffee)
than to add spiciness... and like good perfume a little cardamom goes a
long way. Using too much cardamom in pfefferneusse its aroma will
overpower the other spices... with cardamom less is more. When using
cardamom it's a good idea to use less than the recipe calls for until
you learn your personal tolerance, and keep in mind that it's an
acquired taste, many people don't particularly like it. Cardamom is
considered the third most expensive spice, after saffron and vanilla.
You can probably just omit it, most pfefferneusse recipes don't include
cardamom.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> I guess that's what to be expected when you get 88 Yahoo'ers in a
> room.
>
> Kinda like how they do the AOL audience survey on "Who Wants to
> be a Millionaire", which proves they're dumber than the average
> group.

Heh. I thought more than once that the Yahoo responders must have
a large ratio of people trying to skew the results. They couldn't have
been seriously answering, to be that wrong all the time.

Could they?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> Just avoid the black cardamom if you have the choice. It has
> less flavor. The green cardamom is the best, IMO.

The black is less expensive and has *more* flavor. Unfortunately, it's
not always a *good* flavor. I couldn't imagine using it in baked goods:

CARDAMOM No Name General Cooking 21 22-09-2009 12:04 PM
"Green" Cardamom Follow up question Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 22 10-12-2006 02:39 PM
Question: need replacement pan for breadmaker Jen Baking 2 20-11-2005 11:57 PM
question about coriander and cardamom in a "rub" Hope General Cooking 4 02-09-2005 09:25 AM
other uses for cardamom? -L. General Cooking 48 09-02-2004 12:23 AM