REC: Red onion chutney

Old 16-11-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Red onion chutney

Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Heat oil in a pan over med-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for
10-12 minutes or until soft.

Remove pan from heat. Add sugar, vinegar and 1/2 cup cold water, taking
care as the mixture might just spit at you!!. Stir to combine.

Reduce heat to medium, and return pan to heat.

Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20mins or until mixture is thick and
caramelised. Set aside for 5 mins to cool slightly.

Serve it warm on top of your cheese.

Put an unused chutney into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge for
up to 3 weeks.

(Recipe courtesy of Super Food Ideas)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

Old 16-11-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 7:16*pm, PeterL wrote:

Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or
camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly
sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Thanks for this. I remember my mother making peach, plum and pear
chutney. It was a LONG process
as she got the mix to achieve just the right set or gel. I thought it
was very good but just a bit sweet for my taste.
Great with lamb, pork and poultry.

In her later years - when she wanted to make a batch to last her a year
(12 to 15 quarts including some for give away). I'd buy the fruit,
glazed ginger,
white onions, peppers, etc., peel the fruit if peaches (we didn't peel
plums or pears), chop the onions.

I like these abbreviated versions of chutney.

Old 16-11-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" wrote in news:1163650114.148870.161700
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

On Nov 15, 7:16*pm, PeterL wrote:

Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or
camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly
sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Thanks for this. I remember my mother making peach, plum and pear
chutney. It was a LONG process
as she got the mix to achieve just the right set or gel. I thought it
was very good but just a bit sweet for my taste.
Great with lamb, pork and poultry.

In her later years - when she wanted to make a batch to last her a

year
(12 to 15 quarts including some for give away). I'd buy the fruit,
glazed ginger,
white onions, peppers, etc., peel the fruit if peaches (we didn't peel
plums or pears), chop the onions.

I like these abbreviated versions of chutney.

No worries. I've yet to try it on some cold meat sandwiches, it doesn't
get past the brie :-)

Old 16-11-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Good Lord, man, don't you ever fart around me, not even on the
internet!

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

You're welcome.

Old 16-11-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ludmillia" wrote in news:1163653591.340042.265530
@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

PeterL wrote:
Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Good Lord, man, don't you ever fart around me, not even on the
internet!

The sugar and the vinegar seem to take out a lot of the fart enzyme :-)

Old 16-11-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Good Lord, man, don't you ever fart around me, not even on the
internet!

The sugar and the vinegar seem to take out a lot of the fart enzyme :-)

--

It was the Camembert combination that scared me. I'm actually going to
try your recipe, but I don't know too much about caster sugar.

Old 16-11-2006, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ludmillia" wrote in news:1163655414.835057.260520
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

PeterL wrote:
Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Good Lord, man, don't you ever fart around me, not even on the
internet!

The sugar and the vinegar seem to take out a lot of the fart enzyme

:-)

--

It was the Camembert combination that scared me.

Camembert makes you fart???!!!

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=3

Old 17-11-2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:
Absolutely *fantastic* on brie or camembert.......

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Good Lord, man, don't you ever fart around me, not even on the
internet!

The sugar and the vinegar seem to take out a lot of the fart enzyme

:-)

--

It was the Camembert combination that scared me.

Camembert makes you fart???!!!

Hey, Peter, isn't it that our own farts never matter! We enjoy them.
But yes, with my food allergies and digestion, the combination sounds
lethal. Experimentation with chutney and camembert, together, is not a
military option. Confidence is low.