Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Roasted Red Potatoes

This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
and learn":

Roasted Red Potatoes

Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)

2 lb. small red potatoes
4 T. butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" Salad Seasoning
(Can also use Penzey's "Salad Elegant" Seasoning)

Preheat oven to 425º F. Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place
in small roasting pan. Combine butter, garlic, salt, & pepper; pour
over potatoes. Sprinkle well with Salad Seasoning, stir to coat.
Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.

Kswck's original recipe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymovag

OR

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
cooking/msg/53dcad86816ccee5?dmode=source

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:36:22 GMT, unge (Little
Malice) wrote:

>This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
>start calling it my MTF).

Heh. MTF means something entirely different in the circles I run in.

Here's one from my own "must try" file:

Thai Coconut Pumpkin Soup
Serves 4-6

You need:
Vegetable oil
2 onions
1 chilli (optional)
2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste.
1 kg pumpkin
4 potatoes
2 carrots
750 ml chicken stock
50 ml fish sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 lime
Fresh Coriander - chopped
Cocounut Milk (to swirl when serve)

Method:
Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan with the diced onion and
chilli,
add the Thai red curry paste, and cook until onions are softened.
Place the peeled, diced pumpkin, potatoes and carrots in a saucepan or
pressure cooker, add the cooked onions and the chicken stock.
Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 min until very soft, faster
in a
pressure cooker. (in the PC is takes 10 minutes)
Allow to cool a little then add chopped coraiander and blend until
smooth. Season to taste with fish sauce, brown sugar and limejuice.

At this point you can continue or it can be left to develop the
flavour
overnight in the refrigerator.

To serve: warm in the microwave or in a saucepan and drizzle with
coconut milk
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malice) wrote:

>This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
>start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
>I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
>it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
>and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
>these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
>pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
>and learn":
>
>Roasted Red Potatoes
>
>Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
>
>2 lb. small red potatoes
>4 T. butter, melted
>2 cloves garlic, crushed
>1 tsp. salt
>1/4 tsp. black pepper
>Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" Salad Seasoning
>(Can also use Penzey's "Salad Elegant" Seasoning)
>
>Preheat oven to 425º F. Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place
>in small roasting pan. Combine butter, garlic, salt, & pepper; pour
>over potatoes. Sprinkle well with Salad Seasoning, stir to coat.
>Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.
>Makes 4 servings.
>
>Kswck's original recipe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymovag

>OR
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
>cooking/msg/53dcad86816ccee5?dmode=source

The original recipe sounds better to me. I'd only use thyme, s & p
and I wouldn't use butter (I'd use EVOO instead).

FYI: I can buy decent EVOO inexpensively here, so cost isn't a factor.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> and learn":
>
> Roasted Red Potatoes
>
> Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
>
> 2 lb. small red potatoes
> 4 T. butter, melted
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" Salad Seasoning
> (Can also use Penzey's "Salad Elegant" Seasoning)
>
> Preheat oven to 425º F. Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place
> in small roasting pan. Combine butter, garlic, salt, & pepper; pour
> over potatoes. Sprinkle well with Salad Seasoning, stir to coat.
> Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.
> Makes 4 servings.
>
> Kswck's original recipe:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymovag
>
> OR
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
> cooking/msg/53dcad86816ccee5?dmode=source
>
> --
> "Little Malice" is Jani in WA
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

We've been really into Mustard Butter Roasted Potatoes lately.

Take about 6 T of butter, softened. Blend in about 4 T of whole grain
mustard, 1 T chopped parsley, 1 T honey, 1/2 t black pepper. Toss with
potaotes to coat evenly before roasting.

These are reallllllllly good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Jude" > said:
> Little Malice wrote:

> > This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> > start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> > I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> > it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> > and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> > these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> > pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> > and learn":
> >
> > Roasted Red Potatoes

<snip>

> We've been really into Mustard Butter Roasted Potatoes lately.
>
> Take about 6 T of butter, softened. Blend in about 4 T of whole grain
> mustard, 1 T chopped parsley, 1 T honey, 1/2 t black pepper. Toss with
> potaotes to coat evenly before roasting.
>
> These are reallllllllly good!

They sound good! I put your recipe and the one Serene posted into
that MTF... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:36:22 GMT,
unge (Little
> Malice) wrote:
>
> >This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> >start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> >I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> >it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> >and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> >these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> >pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> >and learn":
> >
> >Roasted Red Potatoes
> >
> >Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
> >
> >2 lb. small red potatoes
> >4 T. butter, melted
> >2 cloves garlic, crushed
> >1 tsp. salt
> >1/4 tsp. black pepper
> >Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" Salad Seasoning
> >(Can also use Penzey's "Salad Elegant" Seasoning)
> >
> >Preheat oven to 425º F. Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place
> >in small roasting pan. Combine butter, garlic, salt, & pepper; pour
> >over potatoes. Sprinkle well with Salad Seasoning, stir to coat.
> >Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.
> >Makes 4 servings.
> >
> >Kswck's original recipe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymovag

> >OR
> >
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
> >cooking/msg/53dcad86816ccee5?dmode=source

> The original recipe sounds better to me. I'd only use thyme, s & p

I didn't have any thyme, nor marjoram. I'm also something of an
herb virgin -- I know little about them or what taste to expect,
so I tend to chicken out on using them. I need to start experimenting,
but right now I'm just happy I want to cook again -- when I get
depressed, all I do is eat junk. :-(

> and I wouldn't use butter (I'd use EVOO instead).
> FYI: I can buy decent EVOO inexpensively here, so cost isn't a factor.

It's kind of spendy here, so I tend to just forget I have it...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 05:36:22 GMT, unge (Little
> Malice) wrote:
>
> >This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> >start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> >I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> >it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> >and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> >these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> >pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> >and learn":
> >
> >Roasted Red Potatoes
> >
> >Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
> >
> >2 lb. small red potatoes
> >4 T. butter, melted
> >2 cloves garlic, crushed
> >1 tsp. salt
> >1/4 tsp. black pepper
> >Johnny's "Jamaica Me Crazy" Salad Seasoning
> >(Can also use Penzey's "Salad Elegant" Seasoning)
> >
> >Preheat oven to 425º F. Scrub potatoes and cut into eighths. Place
> >in small roasting pan. Combine butter, garlic, salt, & pepper; pour
> >over potatoes. Sprinkle well with Salad Seasoning, stir to coat.
> >Roast until potatoes are golden and tender, about 45-50 minutes.
> >Makes 4 servings.
> >
> >Kswck's original recipe:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymovag

> >OR
> >
> >http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
> >cooking/msg/53dcad86816ccee5?dmode=source

> The original recipe sounds better to me. I'd only use thyme, s & p
> and I wouldn't use butter (I'd use EVOO instead).
>
> FYI: I can buy decent EVOO inexpensively here, so cost isn't a factor.

Why the cost comment... butter ain't cheap ya know, butter can easily
cost as much if not more than decent extra virgin olive oil. A pound
of butter equals 12 oz (1 1/2 cups) of olive oil.

http://www.goodcooking.com/conversions/butt_oil.htm

And I wouldn't use EVOO to roast potatoes anyway, why pay a premium for
olive oil because it was not exposed to heat and then roast it, at
425?F yet! duh When I want the flavor of EVOO on my roast potatoes I
drizzle some on *after* roasting. It's very, very stupid to heat
quality olive oil... just as dumb as putting on perfume and then
bathing... oh.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:

> We've been really into Mustard Butter Roasted Potatoes lately.
>
> Take about 6 T of butter, softened. Blend in about 4 T of whole grain
> mustard, 1 T chopped parsley, 1 T honey, 1/2 t black pepper. Toss with
> potaotes to coat evenly before roasting.

It's silly to cook with a quality prepared mustard, the heat removes
the bite and transforms the flavor, and not to the better, plus if
mixed with all those other ingredients the original mustard is beyond
diluted... it's like choosing top shelf whisky for a sour. If you cook
with mustard that's fine, but then blend in some powdered or crushed
mustard seeds with all your other ingredients. Of course if you're
talking that $1.39/qt store brand deli mustard then go for it.

In the recipe above that is NOT cooking, that's like rug rat finger
painting... the clue is any recipe that begins "Take".

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> and learn":
>
> Roasted Red Potatoes
>
> Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
>
> 2 lb. small red potatoes

I dont have red potatoes, only white potatoes. Is it ok to substitute?

Thanks,
-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-bwg wrote:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> > start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> > I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> > it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> > and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> > these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> > pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> > and learn":
> >
> > Roasted Red Potatoes
> >
> > Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
> >
> > 2 lb. small red potatoes

> I dont have red potatoes, only white potatoes. Is it ok to substitute?

Of course not, that would be a felonious act.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:33:05 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:

>Dried rosemary is also good with roasted potatoes.

I agree that rosemary is great with potatoes, especially new
potatoes... however, I have a rosemary bush next to the house so dried
is never part of the equation for me. I've read here that dried
rosemary is like pins and needles - not true?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Nov 2006 08:36:29 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>And I wouldn't use EVOO to roast potatoes anyway, why pay a premium for
>olive oil because it was not exposed to heat and then roast it, at
>425?F yet! duh When I want the flavor of EVOO on my roast potatoes I
>drizzle some on *after* roasting.

Well, I DO use EVOO to roast my potatoes in and I don't like greasy
potatoes, so I don't "drizzle" in on afterward.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 2006, sf wrote:
> I've read here that dried
> rosemary is like *pins and
> needles - not true?

I crumble dried rosemary in my fingers, Between crumbling, heat
and cooking moisture, that seems
to deal with any issues. I don't
notice any unpleasant texture,

I had dinner last week at a Portland
(OR) restaurant. The side dish was a rosemary (I assume fresh) flavored
potato dish. Very heavy hand with the rosemary - enough to be
unpleasant. Otherwise a nice meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "-bwg" > said:

> Little Malice wrote:
> > This is yet another recipe from my "must try" file (I'll have to
> > start calling it my MTF). The original was posted by Kswck in 2004;
> > I've put a link to that below. I love this Salad Seasoning! We got
> > it as part of a gift package last holiday season. It smells heavenly
> > and I've been wanting to do something with it for a while now. Had
> > these potatoes with Wayne's short rib dish tonight -- not the best
> > pairing (too many conflicting flavors), but as I always say, "live
> > and learn":
> >
> > Roasted Red Potatoes
> >
> > Adapted from "Kswck" (RFC)
> >
> > 2 lb. small red potatoes

> I dont have red potatoes, only white potatoes. Is it ok to substitute?

Sorry Barry, I've been away -- in any case, I think whites would work
okay. IIRC, they have that same firm texture, unlike russets...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~