Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sam's Club Pies?

Oh pshaw, on Sun 12 Nov 2006 04:57:25p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Went to Sam's this afternoon. I saw these HUGE pies. I have to take a
> bunch of pies to the SIL's for Turkey Day. Has anyone ever tried their
> pies? They look wonderful but I've never tried one. Actually I've
> never noticed them before. I bought a bunch of stuff today but very
> little in the way of food. I did buy a 3 lb. bag of Hershey's Kisses
> and a giant box of Gardettos rye/garlic toast thingys.

I am too much of a pie snob/fanatic to find them acceptable, but most people
I know have liked them, especially the pumpkin pie. We have an annual
Thanksgiving potluck at the office for around 120 people adn invariably some
of pies come from either Sam's or Costco.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite
neurosis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 12 Nov 2006 06:39:43p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com>
> 28.19:
>

>> I am too much of a pie snob/fanatic to find them acceptable, but most
>> people I know have liked them, especially the pumpkin pie. We have an
>> annual Thanksgiving potluck at the office for around 120 people adn
>> invariably some of pies come from either Sam's or Costco.

> You are such a snot You *know* I can't bake, and I'm sure as hell
> not baking 2 pumpkin, 2 cherry and 2 apple pies. There will be 25 (or
> more knowing the teens dragging friends along) people. Seems like you,
> Steve, zx, and Bob think the pies are at least acceptable. I'm not
> trying to make an impression, I just want to take some decent food.
> I'll make the whipped cream when I get to her house Steven bought
> two flat cut briskets from Straubs. They are in the freezer. Both are
> a little over 5 pounds each. I might just make one but if I know this
> crowd (90% Jewish, 7 % Gentile, 3% Gawd only knows) the brisket will go
> long before the turkey does. I'm gonna save a pound or 2 for us before
> we take the rest to the T Day feast <eg>

It will be fine, Michael. I'm sure most if not all will like them. It's
just *me*. If I were in St. Louis I would bake them for you.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite
neurosis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael wrote:

> You *know* I can't bake, and I'm sure as hell not baking 2 pumpkin, 2
> cherry and 2 apple pies. There will be 25 (or more knowing the teens
> dragging friends along) people.

I'm not good at making pies, but somehow I'm committed to making four pies
for my girlfriend's family this year: pumpkin, apple, pecan, and vinegar.

For the pumpkin pie I'm making the Cook's Illustrated "Best Pumpkin Pie." I
think it has the best chance of being liked by strangers. If I was just
making it for myself I'd either make another spicy pumpkin pie like I did
last year (with a habañero chile in it to make it interesting) or I'd try
that James Beard "Rich Pumpkin Pie" recipe that Christine just posted. (I
wouldn't try out the James Beard recipe on strangers because some people
don't like ginger.)

I worry about two-crust pies, so I'm making a streusel topping for the apple
pie. It'll be a deep-dish pie with raisins and walnuts added. (Does that
make it French or Dutch or something? I dunno.)

The pecan pie will be mainly based on the pecan pie recipe that zxcvbob
posted here about a year ago, only I'm going to add a few tablespoons of
Southern Comfort.

The vinegar pie is a kind of afterthought brought about by the fact that
I'll have extra pie crust dough, and I might as well use it. I haven't
completely decided on what kind of vinegar I'm going to use in it, but the
Kozlowski Farms red raspberry vinegar is a front-runner in my consideration.

I'm also making a pear clafouti -- and THAT'S the one dessert I'm confident
will come out well!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael wrote:

> Sounds like you have the pie making under control.

I fear you give me FAR too much credit. The fact that I have a PLAN to make
those pies in no way guarantees that they'll turn out well.

> What is the vinegar pie like? I have never heard of it, at least I don't
> think I have. Sounds intriguing.

I've never made one before either, but the filling sounds pretty easy. I got
the recipe off this newsgroup, I believe:

Title: VINEGAR PIE
Categories: Pies
Yield: 6 servings

1 c Sugar 2 tb Unbleached Flour
1 c Cold Water 5 tb Vinegar
2 1/2 tb Butter 4 Lg Eggs, Beaten

Combine sugar & flour. Add rest of ingredients & place in saucepan. Cook
until thick & pour into prepared pie crust. Bake in 375 oven until crust
is
brown.

Since I don't know how it's SUPPOSED to look and taste, I guess I can go
ahead and call it a success regardless of how it turns out! :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> You are such a snot You *know* I can't bake, and I'm sure as hell not
> baking 2 pumpkin, 2 cherry and 2 apple pies. There will be 25 (or more
> knowing the teens dragging friends along) people

If you are near a Perkins rest. they have nice pies that you can
order for the holidays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "pamjd" >

>>If you are near a Perkins rest. they have nice pies that you can
>>order for the holidays.

> AFAIK, the Perkins restaurants closed here in St. Louis. We still have
> Miss Hullings but the only restaurant is downtown and I'm not fighting the
> traffic for pies. I've decided to bake the pies with ready made crust.
>
> Michael

Good for you! That's what I may do, but I only need to prepare for
dinner for four.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Michael wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you have the pie making under control.

> I fear you give me FAR too much credit. The fact that I have a PLAN to

make
> those pies in no way guarantees that they'll turn out well.

The *best* place for a pie is on your *face*, b00b...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

> The *best* place for a pie is on your *face*, b00b...

I say this as cheerfully as possible: **** you, Greg. You're a complete
loser.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Unbearable Uselessness of b00b Terwilliger's Being...

b00b Terwilliger oinks:

> Greg wrote:
>
> > The *best* place for a pie is on your *face*, b00b...

> I say this as cheerfully as possible: **** you, Greg. You're a complete
> loser.

b00b, please do us ALL a favor and put a plastic bag over yer head or
something...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Greg Morrow, Life's Biggest Loser

Greg got all bitchy:

> b00b, please do us ALL a favor and put a plastic bag over yer head or
> something...

It is with a light heart and a happy twinkle in my eye that I reiterate:
**** you, Greg. You're a complete loser.

Maybe you need a Pamprin.

Bob

Sam's Club Pies? KIB General Cooking 0 14-11-2006 02:29 PM
Sam's Club Pies? Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 4 13-11-2006 05:56 PM
Sam's Club Pies? BOB General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 01:35 AM
Sam's Club Pies? Dave Bugg General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 01:06 AM
Sam's Club Pies? zxcvbob General Cooking 0 13-11-2006 01:03 AM