Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cottage Cheese with Cukes -- My New Favorite

I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
great.

I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
maybe add some tomato or carrots.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> great.
>
> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.
>
> Tara

Chop up some scallions, especially the green part. If you like red
radishes, slice a couple thinly and add them, too. Serve it on
lettuce leaves, all kinds will go well with cottage cheese.

I like buttermilk mixed in, just enough to moisten the cottage cheese
and I also like to drink some with it. Before almost every home had
air conditioning, this was a favorite summer dinner, with fresh bread
and butter.

How is the family?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, thanks. That sounds good and I will try it soon.

Caesar
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 02:14:08 GMT, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Chop up some scallions, especially the green part. If you like red
>radishes, slice a couple thinly and add them, too. Serve it on
>lettuce leaves, all kinds will go well with cottage cheese.

I do like radishes. That sounds delicous.

>I like buttermilk mixed in, just enough to moisten the cottage cheese
>and I also like to drink some with it. Before almost every home had
>air conditioning, this was a favorite summer dinner, with fresh bread
>and butter.
>
>How is the family?

Very well! Thanks for asking. How are you?

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> great.
>
> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.
>
> Tara

I'll have to try that for dad, thanks!
He loves cucumbers and lately has been buying cottage cheese.

I'm thinking, peel the cuke', slice it in half, remove the seeds and
stuff the hollow with cottage cheese for an interesting presentation. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Tara wrote:
> I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> great.
>
> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.
>
> Tara

Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>
> >Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

> I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
> printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
> this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

Hey, Dams, I just learned that cinnamon is good for your liver and your
cholesterol. Good thing you use it often!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:34:26 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>>
>> >Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

>> I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
>> printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
>> this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

>Hey, Dams, I just learned that cinnamon is good for your liver and your
>cholesterol. Good thing you use it often!
>
>kili

Potentially good for your blood sugar, as well, but that's another
nasty debate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> great.
>
> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.

Just plain cukes sounds pretty blah... needs at least some dill, and
then stuffed into tomatoes. Try cottage cheese with canned crushed
pineapple.... stir in about 1/3 sour cream too. And I detest low fat
cottage cheese, gotta be full creamy... I don't care whether small or
large curd so long as it's not that low fat ...

Cottage cheese is also good with Jell-o, and canned mandarin orange
segments.

I like pot cheese and farmer cheese too.

Cottage cheese recipes:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

THE ultimate cottage cheese recipe:

HENNY YOUNGMAN'S CHEESE BLINTZES
Yield: 14 servings

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups cottage cheese (16 ounces)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
unsalted butter, melted
1 egg lightly, beaten
To make batter, put the eggs, milk, oil, and salt in a blender
container. Blend well. Add the flour and blend until just combined,
scraping down the sides once. Brush and 8-inch frying pan with melted
butter. Pour in 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter, tilting the pan so the
batter flows to coat the bottom. Use just enough batter to make a thin
pancake. Cook until the edges begin to turn golden. Shake the pan to
loosen the pancake. Quickly turn the pancake out onto a paper towel,
browned side up.

Repeat with the remaining butter and batter, stacking the cooked
pancakes between sheets of paper towel. Combine all the ingredients for
the filling in a mixing bowl. Arrange a pancake, browned side up, and
place a heaped spoonful of filling just above the center. Fold the
sides toward the middle, overlapping the edges. Fold down the top to
seal in the filling, then roll the pancake to make a neat little
packet. Arrange the blintzes, seam side down, on a heated griddle or in
a large skillet brushed with butter. Cook until browned, turning once.

Makes 14 to 18 blintzes.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:06:46 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

> Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
>this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

Try a sprinkle of cinnamon in your tartare sauce next time. It is
good!

Now..for cottage cheese...pineapple, peaches, bananas, all are
good....not all together....be each as a separate addition. Some
chopped pecans on top is wonderful.

There is plenty of room for ALL God's creatures....
......right next to the mashed potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>
> >Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

> I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
> printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
> this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

No, I eat it with hot, crusty toast slathered with butter and cinnamon
sugar.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:00:17 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:06:46 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>> Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
>>this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

>Try a sprinkle of cinnamon in your tartare sauce next time. It is
>good!

SERIOUSLY? (although I do sometimes put ground cloves on fish)

>Now..for cottage cheese...pineapple, peaches, bananas, all are
>good....not all together....be each as a separate addition. Some
>chopped pecans on top is wonderful.

Pecans! There ya go!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Nov 2006 11:24:14 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>>
>> >Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

>> I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
>> printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
>> this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

>No, I eat it with hot, crusty toast slathered with butter and cinnamon
>sugar.

So it sorta goes well with cinnamon. Heehee!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>>On 12 Nov 2006 02:27:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>>

>>>Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.

>>I never would have thought of that, but now it's going to be indelibly
>>printed on my brain until I have some. Do you sprinkle cinnamon on
>>this (I sprinkle cinnamon on everything)?

> No, I eat it with hot, crusty toast slathered with butter and cinnamon
> sugar.
>
> -L.

You have not had a real cottage cheese treat, until you eat some with
Barbara's Apricot or Peach jam. There is nothing quite like it! I
have not tried it with hot, crusty toast, but that sure sounds good.
It is my breakfast of choice and tomorrow I will try it with toast on
the side. Buttered toast. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.

I love the slad you made. Other thigns I liek to add to cottage cheese:
grilled red bell peppers, or sumac

I also like CC in a sald of celery, cashews, pineapple and some (optional)
curry powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:36:53 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>I'll have to try that for dad, thanks!
>He loves cucumbers and lately has been buying cottage cheese.

Do try it soon! I hope he likes it. I've been eating it all weekend,

>I'm thinking, peel the cuke', slice it in half, remove the seeds and
>stuff the hollow with cottage cheese for an interesting presentation. :-)

Well, if you're going to get all fancy with it ...

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Margaret Suran wrote:
> You have not had a real cottage cheese treat, until you eat some with
> Barbara's Apricot or Peach jam. There is nothing quite like it! I
> have not tried it with hot, crusty toast, but that sure sounds good.
> It is my breakfast of choice and tomorrow I will try it with toast on
> the side. Buttered toast. Yum!

I will have to bite the bullet and buy some of her jam. I am a sucker
for hot crusty toast - thick and chewy - with butter, and anything
else, or just plain. It's the one carb fix I have to have in the
morning.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:

> Try CC and banana - it's my favorite breakfast.
>
> -L.

we really like cottage cheese lightly sprinkled with raw sugar and
served with granny smith apple slices.

also, my dad's fave was to pour frozen strawberries in their sugar
syrup over a bowl of cottage cheese. Lots of juice included.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:36:53 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >I'll have to try that for dad, thanks!
> >He loves cucumbers and lately has been buying cottage cheese.

> Do try it soon! I hope he likes it. I've been eating it all weekend,
>
> >I'm thinking, peel the cuke', slice it in half, remove the seeds and
> >stuff the hollow with cottage cheese for an interesting presentation. :-)

> Well, if you're going to get all fancy with it ...
>
> Tara

<lol> I have to peel cucumbers anyway, so it would not be much trouble.
He eats better if I make his food "pretty". :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> great.
>
> I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> maybe add some tomato or carrots.
>
> Tara

I usually eat cottage cheese with peeled, chopped tomato and chopped
iceberg or Romaine lettuce ... if I don't have those, snipped fresh
chives will work - plus salt & pepper, of course.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Nancy2" > wrote:

> Tara wrote:
> > I have never cared much for cottage cheese (except during my
> > pregnancy, when I craved cottage cheese and yogurt). I've only tried
> > it by itself or with fruit. My feelings about it were -- eh, if you
> > served it to me I would eat enough to curb my hunger. Not bad, not
> > great.
> >
> > I read a mention of cottage cheese and cucumber and suddenly that
> > sounded so good to me. I chopped up a cucumber and lightly salted it.
> > I tossed the cucumber with cottage cheese and mixed in ground pepper.
> > It's so good! Such a simple thing to have never tried before. Now
> > I'm really craving it. Maybe add a dash of Tabasco sauce next time,
> > maybe add some tomato or carrots.
> >
> > Tara

> I usually eat cottage cheese with peeled, chopped tomato and chopped
> iceberg or Romaine lettuce ... if I don't have those, snipped fresh
> chives will work - plus salt & pepper, of course.
>
> N.

I like it with tomato or I'll sometimes stuff an Avocado with it.
I also use it as a salad base sometimes and do not use any dressings.

Here is the most recent cottage cheese salad that I served to dad for
lunch. Apologies, this is a re-run. <G> It's boston butter lettuce with
about 1 cup of cottage cheese parked in the middle, surrounded by sliced
avocado, cocktail shrimps and topped with sliced black olives and sesame
seeds. You have to look to see the cottage cheese but it's really the
bulk of the salad:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2nai9p3.jpg

There are not a lot of things that CC does not go with imho. I've used
it in frittatas and Omelets as well as just serving it on a plate topped
with poached eggs and a little bit of shredded jack cheese. I've also
dumped a little into hot soups to add texture and creaminess.

I had a cup of CC yesterday with some cocktail shrimp and a little bit
of ground black pepper mixed in.

I love the stuff!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Anybody had cottage cheese lately? Libby[_2_] General Cooking 35 24-05-2013 03:17 PM
cottage cheese Omelet General Cooking 47 08-06-2007 10:38 PM
Cottage Cheese Eddie[_2_] Diabetic 6 24-04-2007 04:40 PM
Cottage cheese jmk General Cooking 4 27-08-2004 06:09 PM
Baking. Cottage cheese vs. curd cheese Emanuel Landeholm General Cooking 6 16-12-2003 03:00 AM