Kitchenaid mixer paddle is staining food

Old 07-11-2006, 01:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchenaid mixer paddle is staining food

Does anyone elses kitchenaid mixer paddle leave gray stains on the
food? It's particularly obvious on cheesecake, with gray swirly
markings on the finished product. Have seen when mixing cornbread also.

Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The older machines did come with cast aluminum alloy beaters and dough
hooks (and some pretty crummy plated steel mixing bowls which got really
nasty when the plating wore off). The epoxy coated beaters and SS bowls
came relatively recently in the KitchenAid lineage.

I've seen the effect the OP described, with bread dough, and assumed it
was oxidation rubbing off. But I don't know what can be done to prevent
it. I would try washing off the beater with something mild and gently
abrasive like Bon Ami or maybe baking soda just prior to use to see if
that helped.

But I would also look into replacing the beaters with newer, coated
ones, if only because of the persistent negative buzz about the effects
of execssive intake of aluminum compounds. There's probably a reason
why KitchenAid started coating their beaters, beyond the "attractive
gray swirl effect" the old ones sometimes produced...

Bob
==========================
In article ,
says...
wrote:
Does anyone elses kitchenaid mixer paddle leave gray stains on the
food? It's particularly obvious on cheesecake, with gray swirly
markings on the finished product. Have seen when mixing cornbread also.

Any ideas?

Are they cast aluminum? All the attachments for my Kitchenaid (except
the whisk) are made of steel coated with some kind of tough plastic --
almost like enamel but tougher and not as hard. I bought it almost 20
years ago. What you are describing sounds like aluminum.

Bob

Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob wrote:
[...]

That "persistent negative buzz" has no basis in fact.

N.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

yetanotherBob wrote:

But I would also look into replacing the beaters with newer, coated
ones, if only because of the persistent negative buzz about the effects
of execssive intake of aluminum compounds. There's probably a reason
why KitchenAid started coating their beaters, beyond the "attractive
gray swirl effect" the old ones sometimes produced...

My new 6 qt KA mixer has chrome-plated aluminum beaters, but both the
4.5 and 5 qt models have the plastic-coated beaters. I prefer the
plastic-coated paddles because they're easier to clean. Am thinking of
taking the bigger beaters to a friend who does powder-coating...

On aluminum intake: to the best of my knowledge there have been
several studies, none of which have provided quantitative evidence of
negative effects re aluminum consumption. (A single antacid tablet
that contains aluminum hydroxide provides far more aluminum in the diet
than could possibly be absorbed by eating a couple of pans of cornbread
mixed with an aluminum paddle.)

Best -- Terry

Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Does anyone elses kitchenaid mixer paddle leave gray stains on the
food? It's particularly obvious on cheesecake, with gray swirly
markings on the finished product. Have seen when mixing cornbread also.

Any ideas?

Most dough hooks (like many meat grinder augers) are of *cast* metal
(as opposed to machined - machining these items would make them
prohibitively costly, only NASA could afford them) therefore are
*porous* to some degree. Because of the porosity of these articles
some quantity of the oils naturally present in foods will be absorbed,
leaving these articles "charged", just like "Oilites" (porous bronze
bearings). If occasionally you boil your dough hook for a few minutes
(in *plain* water) much of the absorbed oils will be extracted. Often
the metal used for dough hooks and augars is aluminum... the dark
smearing you see is NOT aluminum (not unless the aluminum is rubbing
the bowl), it is food fat... can't hurt you but is not very attractive.
Sometimes with stand mixers a small quantity of lubrication will run
down from the gear head, it will run onto the dough hook and become
absorbed too, but that also won't hurt you, it's just ugly. Simmer
your cast aluminum dough hooks, beaters, and grinder augers every so
often... you'll see the dark sludge rise to the surface.... washing
with dish liquid won't help and dish washing machines will destroy the
finish of aluminum. And do not use any abrasives on aluminum...
aluminum is soft and will become "charged" with the abrasive particles.
Some of the newer cast aluminum articles are coated with some sort of
plastic, I don't know that ingesting bits of that plastic is any
better... and soon as some plastic wears away the bare cast aluminum
will become exposed, so then it will absorb oils too.... so don't go
run out to replace your old with new.

Commercial quality mixers and grinders are fitted with cast stainless
steel attachments... even though slightly porous as well those can
safely go into the dishwasher.

Sheldon

Old 07-11-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OK, I probably should have known better than to get into something that
is as contentious as the aluminum good/bad for you question. But there
*is* persistent negative buzz, right, wrong, or indifferent, just as
there is persistent negative buzz about WalMart meats, and any number of
other things. I can't say I've ever heard anything about dietary
aluminum being "good" for me or seen aluminum supplements featured on a
vitamin bottle, so from my point of view the negative buzz isn't offset
by any positive buzz.

My personal take is that (what I'm guessing is) aluminum oxide makes
foods look bad and taste bad, so given all the other reasonable cookware
and implement choices that are out there, it's something that I'll try
to avoid or at least minimize.

Nevertheless: They'll have to pry my cold, dead fingers from my box of
Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap if they want to take it away from me!

Bob
====================================
In article ,
says...

Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

yetanotherBob wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Also the commercial Hobart version of the Kitchenaid mixer, the
N-50 has uncoated AL paddles and dough hooks as do the big boys.

Pete C.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

Commercial quality mixers and grinders are fitted with cast stainless
steel attachments... even though slightly porous as well those can
safely go into the dishwasher.

Sheldon

Which brands have cast stainless steel attachments? The 30qt Hobart I
used most recently had an AL paddle. At those sizes and up a stainless
paddle would get annoyingly heavy.

Pete C.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Commercial quality mixers and grinders are fitted with cast stainless
steel attachments... even though slightly porous as well those can
safely go into the dishwasher.

Sheldon

Which brands have cast stainless steel attachments? The 30qt Hobart I
used most recently had an AL paddle. At those sizes and up a stainless
paddle would get annoyingly heavy.

Heavy, not really... certanly not as heavy as those large stainless
bowls... a 90 pound weakling like you would never make it as an auto
mechanic (what with those heavy wrenches) let alone in a commercial
bakery.. whaddaya mean lift 100 lb flour sacks. That's the number one
drop out reason in the cculinary industry... hard labor... working in
a commercial kitchen is one of the most physically demanding
occupations there is. To listen to you whine I bet you can't change a
flat tire yourself... who will help you lift that spare out of the
trunk. and it's only a donut! hehe

Stainless steel is a pretty common material in the food industry, most
anything that contacts food can be ordered in stainless steel. I'm
pretty sure you can order Kitchen Aid paddles and dough hooks in
stainless. Cast stainless steel meat grinder augers are readily
available, so is the meat grinder body, even for hand grinders... more
and more tinned cast iron is shifting to cast stainless.

If you search you'll find lots more.

http://www.acitydiscount.com/21Qt-St...ink=13-050-805

http://www.bizrate.com/mixers/viking...eel+hooks.html

Sheldon

Old 14-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Pete C. wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

ACityDiscount Inventory ID 54954 | ACityDiscount

stainless steel hooks - Gift Shopping at BizRate.

Sheldon
I just got off an online chat with a KitchenAid rep. They have a "burnished" aluminum paddle that fits the 5 quart stand mixer, but she said they do not have stainless paddles. I plan to get one; only $14.99 plus shipping. My husband will probably peel the coating off my present one and polish it on a Bright Boy too.

Thanks for the suggestion to cook out the food residue that might remain on the beater.

I have the coated paddle that came with the machine when I bought it new in August of '05. The coating just started peeling off. I adjusted the height of the bowl with the screw in back of the bowl (instructions in my owner's manual) which should help keep the paddle from rubbing against the stainless bowl as much.

I use the mixer for making a thick chocolate chip cookie dough mostly, average a batch a week, so the coating has held up pretty well.

Last edited by MarilynR : 14-12-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: add a few words and correct grammar
Old 15-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Does anyone elses kitchenaid mixer paddle leave gray stains on the
food? It's particularly obvious on cheesecake, with gray swirly
markings on the finished product. Have seen when mixing cornbread also.

Any ideas?
Our brand new mixer did exactly the same thing, just found out from kitchenaid you can't put the aluminum parts in the dishwasher - I had to order a new one from them - hope this is helpful, I'll have to see where it gives that warning on the machine, they should have a tag attached to the part so you know that right away