Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Default Kitchenaid Mixer Question

"jay" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:47:30 GMT, jay wrote:
>
>> I have a small Kitchenaid mixer (250 watts) and have used it for
>> preparing
>> many one and two loaf bread/flour dough batches. The recipe I would like
>> to try calls for 5 lbs of flour and it seem that cutting it in half would
>> be the easiest way to handle the amount of dough with my small mixer.
>>
>> Will a mixer this small even handle 2.5 lbs of flour for bread? I am
>> guessing that is about 10 cups of flour which will fit into the bowl.
>> Thanks for your input.

> Thanks for all the help! There is some great information here and I
> should
> have gotten the book..Kitchenaid Mixers For Dummies. <g>

Do it by hand. It'll turn out better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:40:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"jay" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:47:30 GMT, jay wrote:
>>
>>> I have a small Kitchenaid mixer (250 watts) and have used it for
>>> preparing
>>> many one and two loaf bread/flour dough batches. The recipe I would like
>>> to try calls for 5 lbs of flour and it seem that cutting it in half would
>>> be the easiest way to handle the amount of dough with my small mixer.
>>>
>>> Will a mixer this small even handle 2.5 lbs of flour for bread? I am
>>> guessing that is about 10 cups of flour which will fit into the bowl.
>>> Thanks for your input.

>> Thanks for all the help! There is some great information here and I
>> should
>> have gotten the book..Kitchenaid Mixers For Dummies. <g>

>Do it by hand. It'll turn out better.

That's what my ex wife used to tell me..
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Chuck (in SC)" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:40:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"jay" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Thanks for all the help! There is some great information here and I
>>> should
>>> have gotten the book..Kitchenaid Mixers For Dummies. <g>

>>Do it by hand. It'll turn out better.
>>

> That's what my ex wife used to tell me..
> Chuck (in SC)

She was right. Bread machines are for pussies. Arthritis is the only excuse
for using one. That, or being a lazy fat-ass sack of shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Bread machines are for pussies. Arthritis is the only excuse
> for using one.

That's pretty shallow... there are lots of disabilities besides
arthrititus that can make bread making by conventional methods
difficult or impossible.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

Sheldon wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> Bread machines are for pussies. Arthritis is the only excuse
>> for using one.

> That's pretty shallow... there are lots of disabilities besides
> arthrititus that can make bread making by conventional methods
> difficult or impossible.
>
> Sheldon

hey, I agree with sheldon on this!
I just had reconstructive surgery on my wrist after a cyst removal. My hand
will never function fully again. Kneading is a dreaded pain that I only endure
when i absolutely have to.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>
>> Bread machines are for pussies. Arthritis is the only excuse
>> for using one.

> That's pretty shallow... there are lots of disabilities besides
> arthrititus that can make bread making by conventional methods
> difficult or impossible.
>
> Sheldon

OK, but you know what I mean. If you're an able bodied person without some
sort of chronic issue that makes certain activities painful, a bread machine
really is nonsense. Apologies to El Bubbo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> >>
> >> Bread machines are for pussies. Arthritis is the only excuse
> >> for using one.

> > That's pretty shallow... there are lots of disabilities besides
> > arthrititus that can make bread making by conventional methods
> > difficult or impossible.

> OK, but you know what I mean.

Not really, I'm good but not that good, but I still can't read minds...
on usenet I take what people write as written... and you didn't put any
emoticon LOL after your statement.

> If you're an able bodied person without some
> sort of chronic issue that makes certain activities painful, a bread machine
> really is nonsense.

No, that's not true either... bread machines are very useful for a
number of reasons., one of which is it doesn't heat up your kitchen
like an oven will and they use far less energy. And ABMs are
relatively inexpensive, the Plain Jane ones for $49 bake bread just as
well as the $200 Bells n' Whistles out the kazoo models. And
sometimes it's nice to have a loaf of fresh made waiting when you get
up in the AM... is why the ADC too. But most important is that there
is absolutely not a whit of difference in bread dough made by a bread
machine or any other way, except that kneaded by hand. By your
reasoning a KA stand mixer is for pussies too... after all any able
bodied person should be capable of kneading dough by hand. Actually as
far as bread making the ABM makes more sense than the toys r us sized
pussyish Kitchen Aid stand mixer. The largest KA only has a pussyish
6qt bowl... any abled bodied person should be able to hand knead double
that capacity, and hand kneading is always better than any dough
kneading machine. Btw, the ABM is capable of turning out kneaded dough
for a 2lb loaf every 20 minutes... no rule says you can't bake 2-3 of
those loaves all at once in a conventional oven... I wouldn't light my
oven for one stinkin' loaf, which is anotehr good reason for the ABM,
sometimes folks want juyst one loaf... and the typical ABM kneads dough
better than the KA, its motions are closer to hand kneading than any
dough hook.... even dedicated kneading machines can't compete with hand
kneading. I see absolutely no use for a 5-6 quart stand mixer in the
home kitchen (unless you're handicapped), it can't do anything I can't
do with my hands and a portable mixer. Obviously the KA stand mixer is
primarilly set out on home kitchen counters for snob appeal... look at
all the pretty colors... and most folks rarely use it, some never, just
sits there collecting dust, trying to look like they know how to cook.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> > That's pretty shallow... there are lots of disabilities besides
>> > arthrititus that can make bread making by conventional methods
>> > difficult or impossible.

>> OK, but you know what I mean.

> Not really, I'm good but not that good, but I still can't read minds...
> on usenet I take what people write as written... and you didn't put any
> emoticon LOL after your statement.
>
>> If you're an able bodied person without some
>> sort of chronic issue that makes certain activities painful, a bread
>> machine
>> really is nonsense.

> No, that's not true either... bread machines are very useful for a
> number of reasons.,

I guess I like the trip just as much as the destination. I should not have
projected this on other people. I will now punish myself by having a
homemade waffle with fresh raspberries, yogurt, and a couple of bourbons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 05:46:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
wrote:

>.... If you're an able bodied person without some
>sort of chronic issue that makes certain activities painful, a bread machine
>really is nonsense....

So is a coffee machine -- all it does is pour hot water over coffee grounds.

But we, along with millions of others, use both for convenience -- to have
coffee and, say, english muffin loaf ready when we arise in the mornings.

It's a matter of time efficiency in our busy modern lives -- as are cars in many
cases, and stand mixers, and dishwashers, et ad infinitum.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 05:46:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>.... If you're an able bodied person without some
>>sort of chronic issue that makes certain activities painful, a bread
>>machine
>>really is nonsense....

> So is a coffee machine -- all it does is pour hot water over coffee
> grounds.
>
> But we, along with millions of others, use both for convenience -- to have
> coffee and, say, english muffin loaf ready when we arise in the mornings.
>
> It's a matter of time efficiency in our busy modern lives -- as are cars
> in many
> cases, and stand mixers, and dishwashers, et ad infinitum.
>
> -- Larry

OK, but what about breadsticks?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> I guess I like the trip just as much as the destination. I should not have
> projected this on other people. I will now punish myself by having a
> homemade waffle with fresh raspberries, yogurt, and a couple of bourbons.

...while listening to a little Jaco Pastorius.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

"andrew queisser" > wrote in message

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> I guess I like the trip just as much as the destination. I should not
>> have projected this on other people. I will now punish myself by having a
>> homemade waffle with fresh raspberries, yogurt, and a couple of bourbons.

> ..while listening to a little Jaco Pastorius.

Almost. Gary Peacock with Chick Corea.