alzelt

Default Veggie and fruit season winding down

Went over to the Yakima Fruit Stand in Bothell today. Couldn't help but
notice the growing stand space being taken up by the myriad kinds of
apples and pears. The only Washington fruit still being sold are the
Hale Peaches. So, I bought about four pounds. I can see about three
tarts, two of which I will seal with the Tilia for future use. I am
really impressed by the job it does. When I want to use one, I just take
it out of the deep freezer and put it in the fridge until I want to use
it. Then I cut the bag open and serve. No mush.

Saw some Yakima roma tomatoes. I will make a tomato tart for the weekend.

The fingerling potatoe crop is starting to come in. Last year I learned
a new way to fix them. Boil until crisp/soft(with the skin on). Put in
the fridge to stop the cooking and cool them down. Put some oil in a
skillet, and cook on medium high, until they start to brown. Then add a
tbsp of butter, swirl it around, add some chopped dill, and finally, a
couple of good pinches of malden sea salt.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Cindy Fuller

In article
alzelt > wrote:

> Went over to the Yakima Fruit Stand in Bothell today. Couldn't help but
> notice the growing stand space being taken up by the myriad kinds of
> apples and pears. The only Washington fruit still being sold are the
> Hale Peaches. So, I bought about four pounds. I can see about three
> tarts, two of which I will seal with the Tilia for future use. I am
> really impressed by the job it does. When I want to use one, I just take
> it out of the deep freezer and put it in the fridge until I want to use
> it. Then I cut the bag open and serve. No mush.

snip

On the subject of apples, which local ones are best for applesauce? We
bought some Romes last week for the Rosh Hashanah apple cake, and they
were harder than golf balls--not what we'd get back east. I'm not
dissing WA apples, I'm not as familiar with the local varieties.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller