travis

Default Cheese and pickle sandwich?

Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...

:wq!
Jack Schidt®

"travis" > wrote in message
news
> Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

"The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."

I can't believe that I've missed out on this for so long. The article
cracked me up!

Jack Pickle

Louise Lewis

ahhhh...in my upbringing...it wa cheese and pickles..bread and butter or
sweet gerkins with crackers.....it still is a comfort food for me

Peter Aitken

"Louise Lewis" > wrote in message
> ahhhh...in my upbringing...it wa cheese and pickles..bread and butter or
> sweet gerkins with crackers.....it still is a comfort food for me

Four year old Canadian cheddar on rye bread with thin sliced dill pickles -
ahhhh!

--
Peter Aitken

Default User

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
> pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
> cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."

Make it with real butter on wheat bread, and you'd have about my 12th
favorite sandwich (which means it's pretty good, I like sandwiches).

Brian Rodenborn

travis

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:19:34 GMT, Default User
> shared the following:

>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>> "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
>> pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
>> cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."

>Make it with real butter on wheat bread, and you'd have about my 12th
>favorite sandwich (which means it's pretty good, I like sandwiches).
>

>Brian Rodenborn

Mmmm... I'm wanting a sandwich now. I'm thinking a big hunk of
Italian bread with *light* mayo on it, top and bottom after splitting
it, and then sautee some onions and mushrooms together and heap them
onto the bread, and melt some creamy cheese on top of that. I'll bet
a couple of slices of home-grown tomato would go good on a sandwich
like that. mmmmmm.... Maybe a big juicy jalapeno pepper on the side.
Or a garlic dill pickle. Or both. And a big glass of ice-cold skim
milk. And then going to bed with the ceiling fan on "high" setting.
zzzzzzzzz........ :-D

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...
http://bugadventures.dyndns.org
Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not yelled.

:wq!
Dave Smith

travis wrote:

> Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

I grew up on cheese and pickle sandwiches and loved them. I don't know
why I haven't had one in a long time, other than the fact that I rarely
eat sandwiches any more.

It was curious to read the description of the perfect cheese and pickle
sandwich. It talks about the best cheese to use, the best type of
bread for it, margarine (instead of better? egads). It even suggests
cutting it diagonally. For some reason, it says nothing about the
pickles.

My mother used to make them for my brothers and I to take to school.
She made them with her home made bread, old cheddar cheese, sliced
sweet pickles, no butter or margarine.

levelwave

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
> pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
> cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."

LOL - I didn't realize that was a quote until I reached the second
paragraph... I was afraid you were losing your mind Jack!...

~john!

zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "travis" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
>>have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
>>http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003
>>

> "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
> pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
> cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."
>
> I can't believe that I've missed out on this for so long. The article
> cracked me up!
>
> Jack Pickle

The article never says what kind of pickle. Since it was a UK site,
Branston pickles, perhaps?

I really like buttered French bread, cheddar cheese, and bread 'n' butter
pickles, I just don't assemble them into a sandwich.

Best regards,
Bob

DebbieGrrrl

In article >, levelwave
> writes:

>LOL - I didn't realize that was a quote until I reached the second
>paragraph... I was afraid you were losing your mind Jack!...
>
>~john!

Should we now call him "Jack Cheese"?

Debbie...
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.

Helen C.

(travis) wrote:

Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists have
developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

///////////

I have never even heard of a cheese and pickle sandwich, let alone eaten
one. Is it a "geographical" thing or whatever?

I grew up on the west coast and it was peanut butter and banana.

Feeling out of the loop, Helen
Either that or I need to get out more.

-L.

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message om>...
> "Louise Lewis" > wrote in message
> > ahhhh...in my upbringing...it wa cheese and pickles..bread and butter or
> > sweet gerkins with crackers.....it still is a comfort food for me
> >

> Four year old Canadian cheddar on rye bread with thin sliced dill pickles -
> ahhhh!

Ditto. To die for...

-L.
Carnivore269

(Helen C.) wrote in message >...

(travis) wrote:

> Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists have
> developed a formula that describes the perfect one...

http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

> ///////////
>
> I have never even heard of a cheese and pickle sandwich, let alone eaten
> one. Is it a "geographical" thing or whatever?
>
> I grew up on the west coast and it was peanut butter and banana.
>
> Feeling out of the loop, Helen
> Either that or I need to get out more.

Either that or you are not yet up late enough on the internet. ;-)
Right now, it's 03:50 am and I REELY need to get some sleep as I need
to go to work at 2 pm tomorrow. I work swings.

A good late night "I'm bored" recipe is crackers, hellman's mayo, dill
pickle slices and cream cheese. :-) Just about any sliced cheese will
work too.

Or a personal favorite is crackers, a bit of hellman's mayo, sardines
and pickle slices. Low salt chunk tuna in water will work well too in
place of the sardines. I prefer crackers to bread this time of night.
Crunch crunch! LOL!

You will need a diuretic to get rid of the sale fix the next day. <G>

C.
Carnivore269

(Helen C.) wrote in message >...

(travis) wrote:

> Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists have
> developed a formula that describes the perfect one...

http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

> ///////////
>
> I have never even heard of a cheese and pickle sandwich, let alone eaten
> one. Is it a "geographical" thing or whatever?
>
> I grew up on the west coast and it was peanut butter and banana.
>
> Feeling out of the loop, Helen
> Either that or I need to get out more.

Whoops! That should have read "salt" fix not "sale" fix!
Damned keyboard...

C.
Jack Schidt®

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
> > pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable

margarine,
> > cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."

> LOL - I didn't realize that was a quote until I reached the second
> paragraph... I was afraid you were losing your mind Jack!...
>
> ~john!

That's the last time I directly quote without an attribute!! Yikes!

Jack Cheesy

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" > wrote in message
04...
> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> m:
>

> > "travis" > wrote in message
> > news
> >> Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> >> have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> >> http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003
> >>

> > "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on
> > medium, pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of
> > vegetable margarine, cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in
> > front of the television."
> >
> > I can't believe that I've missed out on this for so long. The article
> > cracked me up!
> >
> > Jack Pickle

> LOL... In this house it's whole grain bread with American or processed
> cheese. The pickle is extremely important. It has to be Heifetz
hamburger
> dill slices, preferably with garlic. The sandwich is stacked like this;
> bread, a good quality grainy mustard, cheese, pickles, very thin slice of
> yellow or red onion, another squirt of mustard and topped with the 2nd
> slice of bread. If there happens to be Swiss cheese in the fridge, it's a
> whole different ball game
>
> Michael

American cheese???!!!! A 'squirt' of mustard??? Oh, Michael, what are we
gonna do with you? Everything else sounds terrific and then you go and soil
yourself with american cheese and squirt mustard. Oh the humanity!

Jack Sandwich

Louise Lewis

speaking of tomatoes..I had a great growing season this year..and we
actually got a second crop when the weather cooled off again...
but alas we are now hoping for the last few to grt ripe..but with the
rapid move into fall/winter I think we will have to do the fried green
tomatoe thing...but what wonderful tomatoes we had this year

XOR

Dave Smith > wrote in message >...
> travis wrote:
>
> > Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> > have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> > http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

> I grew up on cheese and pickle sandwiches and loved them. I don't know
> why I haven't had one in a long time, other than the fact that I rarely
> eat sandwiches any more.
>
> It was curious to read the description of the perfect cheese and pickle
> sandwich. It talks about the best cheese to use, the best type of
> bread for it, margarine (instead of better? egads). It even suggests
> cutting it diagonally. For some reason, it says nothing about the
> pickles.

I'm willing to bet that's because the site is referring to Branston
pickle, as opposed to 'pickles'. Branston pickle is a sort of
relish/spread that's slightly sour and slightly sweet - kind of like a
chutney. You can find it in the US in some shops, esp those with
'foreign' foods. Brasotn Pickle on a hunk of mature cheddar it is
HEAVEN.

btw- IMO butter is too heavy with the strong cheese and pickle. -

Dimitri

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> travis wrote:
>
> > Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> > have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> > http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003

> I grew up on cheese and pickle sandwiches and loved them. I don't know
> why I haven't had one in a long time, other than the fact that I rarely
> eat sandwiches any more.
>
> It was curious to read the description of the perfect cheese and pickle
> sandwich. It talks about the best cheese to use, the best type of
> bread for it, margarine (instead of better? egads). It even suggests
> cutting it diagonally. For some reason, it says nothing about the
> pickles.

<snip>

Actually it does " 0.196f " being "additional filling"

Cross & Blackwell "Branston Pickle" it is a, for lack of a better term,
slightly chunky spread.

Dimitri

Dimitri

Arri London

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> "travis" > wrote in message
> news
> > Have any of y'all tried one of these before? Apparently scientists
> > have developed a formula that describes the perfect one...
> > http://www.edinburghnews.com/uk.cfm?id=1087972003
> >

> "The perfect sandwich is made using strong or mature Cheddar on medium,
> pre-sliced round-top white bread with a thin spread of vegetable margarine,
> cut diagonally and eaten at home for lunch in front of the television."
>
> I can't believe that I've missed out on this for so long. The article
> cracked me up!
>
> Jack Pickle

The right sort of pickle is essential as well, don't forget. I think the
only one you can get in the US that would do is Branston; assuming it's
anything like the real (UK) thing.

A good apple (Cox's orange pippin or something sharper) completes the
plate.

Nancree

Brace yourself, but have you ever tried a peanut butter and dill pickle
sandwich? I love them. My next favorite p-butter sandwich is with mayonnaise
and crisp lettuce. It's the crispness of some other ingredient, IMO, that
makes peanut butter so good.