Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey Jill ... butternut squash guts

I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
>I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?
>
> nancy

Apparently, they can be:

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3310534 :

<<The seeds can be brined and then roasted, much like pumpkin seeds can.
They taste similar, but do have flavour undertones with a sweet tang and
pithiness similar to unripe hachiya persimmon but not anywhere near so
acrid.

Rinse off the soft pith, then toss in a medium-hot frying pan with a
teaspoon of oil until they start making popping noises. Drain them on a
piece of kitchen towel to soak up any excess oil then sprinkle with a little
salt.

These make a further nice addition to sprinkle on the top of a squash soup.

I also heard they can be put on a baking sheet and toasted for about 10
minutes.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"WhansaMi" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

> Apparently, they can be:
>
> from http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3310534 :
>
> <<The seeds can be brined and then roasted, much like pumpkin seeds can.
> They taste similar, but do have flavour undertones with a sweet tang and
> pithiness similar to unripe hachiya persimmon but not anywhere near so
> acrid.
>
> Rinse off the soft pith, then toss in a medium-hot frying pan with a
> teaspoon of oil until they start making popping noises. Drain them on a
> piece of kitchen towel to soak up any excess oil then sprinkle with a
> little salt.
>
> These make a further nice addition to sprinkle on the top of a squash
> soup.
> >>

> I also heard they can be put on a baking sheet and toasted for about 10
> minutes.

Thanks, Shiela! I am going to try that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:32:06 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?
>
>nancy

Not Jill but

I have butternut squash steaming right now over sauteed shallot and
squash strings and seeds. Add water and salt and steam the squash.
Strain the seeds, etc. out of the liquid, remove skins and blend the
liquid and squash. Add cream and dark brown sugar.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:32:06 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>>on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>>bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

> Not Jill but
>
> I have butternut squash steaming right now over sauteed shallot and
> squash strings and seeds. Add water and salt and steam the squash.
> Strain the seeds, etc. out of the liquid, remove skins and blend the
> liquid and squash. Add cream and dark brown sugar.

Interesting! When I soaked the seeds to remove the strings, I
noticed that the soaking water was very orangey. Good idea,
I'll keep it in mind for next time, thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

Sure, toast like any other squash seeds.. but I really don't think
there will be enough from just one or two butternut to make it worth
the trouble. I usually toss squash seeds out in the yard, birds and
squirrels love them. When I want pepitas I just buy them already
toasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I also heard they can be put on a baking sheet and toasted for about 10
>> minutes.

> Thanks, Shiela! I am going to try that.

mmm MM!! I'm quickly getting addicted to them, they
will be lucky to be around by the time the soup is ready.
And the soup is coming along nicely and smells great.

Perfect fall day, perfect fall food.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

> Sure, toast like any other squash seeds.. but I really don't think
> there will be enough from just one or two butternut to make it worth
> the trouble. I usually toss squash seeds out in the yard, birds and
> squirrels love them. When I want pepitas I just buy them already
> toasted.

You know, I was surprised how many seeds came out of this
thing, and I only had one squash! That's why I asked Jill if she
used them. Seemed a shame to toss them, and of course, since
you mention it, to the birds and squirrels. I had the hot oven,
and the hot baking sheet from baking the squash ... no effort, and
these things are good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?
>
> nancy

Nancy,

If you're making a chunky soup, you can just throw in the seeds hull
and all. (It's like everything else, some people like them, some
don't.) They'll soften up in the soup and will be a bit of an added
texture and taste in the soup. This obviously won't work with a
creamed or pureed soup. They also can be added to stir fry.

If you're wondering how they'll taste, just throw in a few, and
when you serve the soup, try to make sure you get most of them. If you
like them, next time, throw them all in and let everyone get some.

By the way, butternut squash seeds can be saved and easily planted the
next year in the garden. They do need some space, and gophers for some
reason just love to eat the roots, much more than other plants.
(They'll even pop up under the squashes and eat them from the inside
out. Damn them.) Gophers do eat some things more than others, and
butternut squash is up their on their favorites list.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

Thanks for those ideas.

> By the way, butternut squash seeds can be saved and easily planted the
> next year in the garden. They do need some space, and gophers for some
> reason just love to eat the roots, much more than other plants.

Oh, man. Some space far away from the pool, too.

> (They'll even pop up under the squashes and eat them from the inside
> out. Damn them.) Gophers do eat some things more than others, and
> butternut squash is up their on their favorites list.

That's funny. Unless you're a butternut squash farmer. I have
had squirrels hollow out a decorative pumpkin so's you wouldn't
notice until it collapsed. Amuses me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?
>
> nancy

Yep, they bake up just fine like pumpkin seeds. Rinse them, soak them in
salt water, then roast them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>> on,

> Yep, they bake up just fine like pumpkin seeds. Rinse them, soak them in
> salt water, then roast them.

You know how I kept meaning to make your soup and it
just never happened? Well, that was my lunch today and I have
to say, it was *excellent* ... no just saying that to be nice, whatever,
it is a keeper.

I had some leftover heavy cream from the banana bread, I
drizzled that in my bowl of soup in place of the sour cream,
it was a nice touch.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I also heard they can be put on a baking sheet and toasted for about 10
> minutes.

There's also boiling pumpkin seeds in salted water and then baking them on a
lightly oiled baking sheet:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...pkin_seeds.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?
>
> nancy

nancy,

Didn't your teacher ever scold you, "Hay is for horses!"???

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>> on, but now I've got a pile of squash innards, which includes a
>> bunch of seeds. Do you ever bake them up a la pumpkin seeds?

> nancy,
>
> Didn't your teacher ever scold you, "Hay is for horses!"???

Heh, no, my teachers never scolded me, but if they had I'd have
said, different hey, moron!

nancy (kidding)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> Heh, no, my teachers never scolded me, but if they had I'd have
> said, different hey, moron!

Heh heh heh. Good answer!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I have my butternut squash baking away, will be soup later
>>> on,

>> Yep, they bake up just fine like pumpkin seeds. Rinse them, soak
>> them in salt water, then roast them.

> You know how I kept meaning to make your soup and it
> just never happened? Well, that was my lunch today and I have
> to say, it was *excellent* ... no just saying that to be nice,
> whatever, it is a keeper.
>
> I had some leftover heavy cream from the banana bread, I
> drizzled that in my bowl of soup in place of the sour cream,
> it was a nice touch.
>
> nancy

How nice! It really is a lovely soup, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You know I
re-created that soup after having had it at the "club" Dad used to belong
to. I like doing that (trying to re-create recipes I've had while dining
out). This was a keeper recipe and is my signature dish. I'm so glad you
enjoyed it!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

\
>> You know how I kept meaning to make your soup and it
>> just never happened? Well, that was my lunch today and I have
>> to say, it was *excellent* ... no just saying that to be nice,
>> whatever, it is a keeper.
>>

> How nice! It really is a lovely soup, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You know I
> re-created that soup after having had it at the "club" Dad used to belong
> to. I like doing that (trying to re-create recipes I've had while dining
> out). This was a keeper recipe and is my signature dish. I'm so glad you
> enjoyed it!
>
> Jill

I am making it right now and have followed your recipe, Jill.
I always try to follow the recipe pretty closely the first time I make
something, but it was hard because after pureeing the squash and adding
the liquid, the fragrance and flavor really cried out for...curry powder
instead of tarragon. Next time.

gloria p