does baileys go bad if not refrigerated?

Old 29-10-2006, 09:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default does baileys go bad if not refrigerated?

i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

thanks

Old 29-10-2006, 11:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"s" wrote in message
ups.com...

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream'
but can it go bad if it has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored
unopened? why does it have an expiry date?

Bailey's doesn't go bad, per se, but it does get stale. Many liqueurs, eaux
de vie, grappas, etc. lose quality once they're opened. I've always
attributed it to oxidation.
-j

Old 29-10-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" wrote:

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
drinks at someone's request.

IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
any longer.

Old 29-10-2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jessica V." wrote in message
ups.com...

s wrote:
i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

Yes it can go bad. [...]

What I want to know is how could anyone leave Bailey's Irish Cream
alone long enough for it to go bad?

I haven't had it for years, but recall how delicious is was cold and
straight up, or warm and straight up with a cup of coffee on the side.

It is more like a desert than an alcoholic beverage. One time I had
three shots and had such a sugar buzz I could barely feel the
alcohol!

Old 29-10-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jacqui{JB}" wrote:

"s" wrote in message
ups.com...

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream'
but can it go bad if it has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored
unopened? why does it have an expiry date?

Bailey's doesn't go bad, per se, but it does get stale. Many liqueurs, eaux
de vie, grappas, etc. lose quality once they're opened. I've always
attributed it to oxidation.
-j

Keeping some liquors in the freezer seems to help a lot with that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-10-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" wrote:

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
drinks at someone's request.

IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
any longer.

There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

- Scott

Old 29-10-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Oct 2006 07:00:50 -0800, "scottdanzig"
wrote:

There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

Scott....I guess it was sitting next to the brandy....vbg....and as
I recall, the Bailey's was a Christmas gift from 1997. Liquor is not
my beverage of choice. Now a Bud Lite is another story!

Old 29-10-2006, 04:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

s wrote:
i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

thanks

Yes it can go bad. It can even go bad unopened. About a decade ago my
husband's grandmother was told by the Dr. to lay off the booze. She
had cases of hard liquor & liquers in the wine cellar, for cocktail
parties and bridge games of course. When she finally decided to let go
of most of her hoarde we were gifted with a case of Bailey's among
other things.

The Bailey's could not have been more disgusting, whiskey and cream had
separated, foul smelling whiskey floated on top op the solidified cream
in the bottom of each bottle. I never again want to smell Bailey's
that has gone bad.

Jessica

Old 29-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jessica V. wrote:

Yes it can go bad. It can even go bad unopened. About a decade ago my
husband's grandmother was told by the Dr. to lay off the booze. She
had cases of hard liquor & liquers in the wine cellar, for cocktail
parties and bridge games of course. When she finally decided to let go
of most of her hoarde we were gifted with a case of Bailey's among
other things.

The Bailey's could not have been more disgusting, whiskey and cream had
separated, foul smelling whiskey floated on top op the solidified cream
in the bottom of each bottle. I never again want to smell Bailey's
that has gone bad.

We found just such an unopened bottle when cleaning out a friends
parents house. You could shake it up and see sort of a "lava lamp" type
effect.

Jessica

Old 29-10-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"scottdanzig" wrote:

Ward Abbott wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" wrote:

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
drinks at someone's request.

IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
any longer.

There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

- Scott

snork A small bottle of baileys will last about 2 weeks around here.
Both my dad and I like it as a dessert. About 1/2 shot each, sipped
slllooowwwlllyyy!

Alas, it's going to be awhile before anymore booze is allowed in the
house. sigh I'm going to give it a good month then see what happens.

The biggest problem is that I'm having a helluva time sleeping, even
using Melatonin. :-( I'm going to make up a batch of catnip and
chamomile tea today and try that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 29-10-2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

The biggest problem is that I'm having a helluva time sleeping, even
using Melatonin. :-( I'm going to make up a batch of catnip and
chamomile tea today and try that.

Om, have you tried just a little dairy before bed? I don't
drink milk, but sometimes want a little something before I
go to sleep, while I am reading in bed. I grab whatever
light thing is around, and noticed that I sleep deeper when
it has dairy in it. I mean, I fall asleep faster and feel like I
am dragging myself up out of it when I wake up. Very
pleasant for someone with lifelong sleep problems.

Examples: a little salad with a sprinkle of cheddar and ranch.
(LOW CARB, too! And light on calories but long on flavor.)
A couple spoons of cottage cheese. (Gotta be Breakstone's
4%!) Part of a small, light yogurt. (Dannon Carb solutions is
very nice in blueberry.)

By the time it settles and I brush my teeth, I am usually getting
sleepy. Maybe it's the tryptophan? If so, a bit of turkey might
also work.

Good luck with it, insomnia is miserable.

Old 29-10-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 01:43:07 -0700, "s" wrote:

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

We don't use Baileys much. I had a bottle that had to have been at
least five years old. I got it out one night for after dinner
drinks at someone's request.

IT WAS absolutely spoiled. As soon as I opened the bottle, the
contents smelled worst that spoiled milk. We don't buy big bottles
any longer.

I've had the same experience and the Bailey's wasn't all that old.
The cream sours when it's been open for a while, faster if held at room
temperature.

gloria p
Old 29-10-2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"s" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

thanks

I've no idea, I've never managed to keep bottle longer than a week! It
tastes great out of the fridge over ice, with added tia maria....

Sarah

Old 29-10-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

There is a bit of a hole in your story. How did you manage to let
Bailey's sit that long? Impossible.

So true!

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 29-10-2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

s wrote:
i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.

i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
has all that alcohol in it?

does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
have an expiry date?

http://www.us.baileys.com/faq.php

Sheldon