Too many cucumbers!

Old 27-10-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Too many cucumbers!

: My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
: politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

: What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
: it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
: not into making pickles.

: Any suggestions?

: TIA

See the "Sex in the kitchen" thread in this same newsgroup...
Old 27-10-2006, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article t,
Margaret Suran wrote:
Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
but I am not certain which one it is.

It is, but it is primarily tomatoes with cucumber, onion, peppers -- but
mostly tomato.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Old 27-10-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

Any suggestions?

Make tsatsiki and tarator (the Bulgarian, not the Arabic version).

Victor
Old 27-10-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

TIA

This is from my daughter. It is equally good hot or chilled.

Rusty from MD

Susan's Cucumber Soup

1/4 cup butter
4 cups cucumber slices
1 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/2 cup half and half

Cook cucumbers and onions in butter until soft. Mix in flour. Slowly
add chicken broth. Simmer about 10 minutes. Cool then blend until
smooth. Strain if desired. Add half and half.

Old 27-10-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

You can use a lot of cucumber in a proper Greek Salad. Peel (or
not) and chop some cucumber, tomato, onion, toss in some Kalamata
olives and Feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper and some
marjoram or oregano, then squeeze some lemon juice over it,
drizzle with olive oil .

There are also variations of cucumber or yoghurt salads. Peel
and grate a lot of cucumber and drain it in s fine sieve. Salt
helps to extract the water too. Combine with a clove or two of
finely minced garlic and yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper.
You can add mint, cumin....... there are lots of variations, and
they all taste great.

Don't tell your neighbour because she might start using up her
cucumbers and then you will lose your free supply.
Old 27-10-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran wrote:

Ken Knecht wrote:
My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
but I am not certain which one it is.

Gazpacho is made with tomatoes. Maybe you are thinking
of......... cucumber soup :-)
Old 28-10-2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.
--

I like them in a whole-wheat pita with cream cheese and a little salt.
That's how my best friend's mom made them, growing up. She would

Old 28-10-2006, 03:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Ken Knecht said:

My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

Hmmm, cucumber and onion with vinegar, water, and a bit of
sugar (and S&P)? Cucumber and tomato sandwiches (DH loves 'em).
Cucumber soup? I've never made it, but I did find a recipe that
sounds quite interesting:

http://www.pbs.org/hemingwayadventure/recipe1_02.html

I'd use mint instead of dill, but that's a personal thang...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 28-10-2006, 04:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article t,
Margaret Suran wrote:
Isn't Gazpacho made with cucumbers? There is some cold soup that is,
but I am not certain which one it is.

It is

Dressing of vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper... thinly sliced onion,
cucumber, and beets.

Sheldon

Old 28-10-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

snip
You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
or tuna salad.

Tara

I've not tried stuffed cucumbers yet. That sounds good!
I do serve celery that way.

I'm not a fan of hummus...... but I know that many people like it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Half and hollow, a light brush of olive oil, sprinkle with salt & fresh
ground pepper, grill 'til just soft, fill with green peas. (Keeps the peas
from rolling around on your plates! And looks really "fancy"!)

Old 28-10-2006, 07:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
"Jude" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

They are really good sliced up and stuffed into a pita with mayo,
sprouts and thinly sliced roma tomato.
--

I like them in a whole-wheat pita with cream cheese and a little salt.
That's how my best friend's mom made them, growing up. She would
"stripe" the cucumbers to make it fun for us, too. =)

My mom always did that too. :-)

Stripe the cucumber after peeling it using a fork, prior to slicing it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-10-2006, 08:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article hXA0h.236$mX4.28@trndny03,
"Green Mtn. Griller" wrote:

snip
You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
or tuna salad.

Tara

I've not tried stuffed cucumbers yet. That sounds good!
I do serve celery that way.

I'm not a fan of hummus...... but I know that many people like it.

Half and hollow, a light brush of olive oil, sprinkle with salt & fresh
ground pepper, grill 'til just soft, fill with green peas. (Keeps the peas
from rolling around on your plates! And looks really "fancy"!)

Grilled huh?

That actually sounds good... ;-d

Time for a new adventure! :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 28-10-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Just a quick note -- you can visit

http://www.bigoven.com/cucumber_recipes

for the Top 10 Cucumber recipes on BigOven...

Ken Knecht wrote:
My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Old 28-10-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:
My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.

What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
not into making pickles.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Here's a nice tnt recipe for cucumbers.....

Hot and Sour Cucumbers (ca 4 servings)

2 firm, slender, unwaxed cucumbers (ca 1 lb)
3 Tbsps oil
1 large glove garlic, quartered
4 dried red chile peppers
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsps sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsps white vinegar

Wash and dry cukes. Trim the ends, halve them lengthwise, and
spoon out the seeds. Cut into relatively fat julienne-type
strips.

Heat frying pan over high heat. Add oil, and reduce heat to
low. Add garlic and chiles, and stir-fry until the garlic is
light brown and the chiles are darker. Increase heat to high.
Add cukes, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds or until the
skin is bright green. Add soy sauce, sugar, and salt, and
stir for about 5 more seconds. Pour into heatproof dish, and
chill, stirring occasionally.

About an hour before serving time, transfer the cukes only to
a nonreactive dish. Add the vinegar, and mix well. Chill for
another hour or so, stirring occasionally.

--
Jean B.
Old 28-10-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Green Mtn. Griller" wrote:

snip
You can halve and hollow out the cucumbers and stuff them with chicken
or tuna salad.

Tara

I've not tried stuffed cucumbers yet. That sounds good!
I do serve celery that way.

I'm not a fan of hummus...... but I know that many people like it.

Half and hollow, a light brush of olive oil, sprinkle with salt & fresh
ground pepper, grill 'til just soft, fill with green peas. (Keeps the peas
from rolling around on your plates! And looks really "fancy"!)

Grilled huh?

That actually sounds good... ;-d

Time for a new adventure! :-)

He's pulling your pickle... you try grilling cukes and see what you
get. I think you'd best stick to marinating cukes by your old tried
and true... stuffed cukes indeed! hehe

CORRECTION: Pickled Cucumbers [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-08-2006 11:21 PM
Coconut and Macadamia Fried Shrimp with Marinated Cucumbers Preston Pittman Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 11:49 AM
pickle question Mia General Cooking 22 09-08-2004 10:21 AM
Sour Cream Dressing For Cucumbers (4) Collection Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 01-06-2004 05:31 PM
Mom's Vinegar Cucumbers Dr. Fu Man Chu Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2003 03:41 PM