FoodBanter.com

-   -   How much is several? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/105075-how-much-several.html)

Terry[_1_] 27-10-2006 03:41 AM

How much is several?

Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

I guess a couple is 2
A few would be 3 or 4
I guess several would be 5 or 6

projectile vomit chick 27-10-2006 03:44 AM

How much is several?

Terry wrote:
> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>
> I guess a couple is 2
> A few would be 3 or 4
> I guess several would be 5 or 6

Oh for God's sake it isn't rocket science. What some people will worry
about. LOL

cybercat 27-10-2006 05:26 AM

How much is several?

"Terry" > wrote in message
> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>
> I guess a couple is 2
> A few would be 3 or 4
> I guess several would be 5 or 6

I think several is more than two and less than five.

According to my highly accurate scientific formula.

8*/

[email protected] 27-10-2006 04:00 PM

How much is several?

Terry wrote:
> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.

Ear drops? Is this for corn? Am I in the right news group?

b.

Denise~* 27-10-2006 06:12 PM

How much is several?

wrote:

> I used to think something like that, until a journalist "proved" to
> me that the rules say that "several" is the same as "few" -- meaning
> 2 or 3.

and you believed the journalist because...?

> Here's how I used to rationalize it before I was "corrected":
>
> 1 = one
> 2 = 2 or "a couple of"
> 3 or 4 = a few
> 5 = 5
> 6 = 6 or 'half-dozen'
> 7 - 9 several
> 10 ten
>
> 12 = a dozen
>
> I assumed that, since we are familiar with 5 as being half of a
> decade -- and our number system is based on decades, or 10s -- that 5
> was a number of itself.
>
> and that, since we're all familiar with 12 as a dozen, then 6 would
> be a half-dozen.
>
> so, the odd numbers would be 3 or 4, or 7 - 9.
>
> Don't know why I ever spent the time to delineate this, except that I
> KNEW that, some day, an opportunity like this would present itself!
>
> Alan

OK, my brain just did a backflip, but I agree with your theory, rather
than the journalists.

Denise~* 27-10-2006 06:19 PM

How much is several?

wrote:

Ohh, yeah...

> 1 = one
> 2 = 2 or "a couple of"
> 3 or 4 = a few
> 5 = 5

5 = "a handful"

sf[_3_] 28-10-2006 01:36 AM

How much is several?

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:26:25 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Terry" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>>
>> I guess a couple is 2
>> A few would be 3 or 4
>> I guess several would be 5 or 6

>I think several is more than two and less than five.
>
>According to my highly accurate scientific formula.

A few and several are synonyms. Alternate meaning: To taste.

;)

--
See return address to reply by email

Sheldon 28-10-2006 03:55 AM

How much is several?

denise~* wrote:
> wrote:
>
> Ohh, yeah...
>
> > 1 = one
> > 2 = 2 or "a couple of"
> > 3 or 4 = a few
> > 5 = 5

> 5 = "a handful"

Actually the universally accepted handful is a "B" cup.

Sheldon

jmcquown 28-10-2006 07:44 AM

How much is several?

Terry wrote:
> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>
> I guess a couple is 2
> A few would be 3 or 4
> I guess several would be 5 or 6

Why don't you ask your doctor or pharmacist?!!!

-L. 29-10-2006 12:55 AM

How much is several?

Terry wrote:
> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>
> I guess a couple is 2
> A few would be 3 or 4
> I guess several would be 5 or 6

More than three. A few is three.

-L.

Andy[_2_] 29-10-2006 01:21 AM

How much is several?

-L. said...

> Terry wrote:
>> Instructions on my ear drops say leave in ear for several minutes.
>>
>> I guess a couple is 2
>> A few would be 3 or 4
>> I guess several would be 5 or 6

> More than three. A few is three.
>
> -L.

What a bunch of dunces!!!

Two's a couple!!! three's a croud!!! A handful is five, so OBVIOUSLY
several is FOUR!

Ya BUMS!!!

Andy