Fresh, egg noodles, how to freeze?

Old 18-10-2006, 12:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fresh, egg noodles, how to freeze?

Hi all,

I will be making some egg noodles tonight, more than I'll need for my dish,
and need some advice.

Is it best to cook noodles and then freeze or freeze uncooked.?

Can you cook frozen raw noodles without defrosting.?

Can you re-heat frozen cooked noodles without defrosting.?

How do frozen cooked noodles taste after re-heating.?

This the recipe I'm using for the noodles:

2 cups Semolina
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp corn oil

Thanks for any advice,

David.

Old 18-10-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

David said...

Is it best to cook noodles and then freeze or freeze uncooked.?

I'd freeze the excess as strips, not noodles and freeze.

When you want some, thaw a fews strips and cut into noodles.

Andy
Old 18-10-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

David wrote:
Hi all,

I will be making some egg noodles tonight, more than I'll need for my dish,
and need some advice.

Is it best to cook noodles and then freeze or freeze uncooked.?

Dry them in bunches ("bird nests"), so there is some air, then freeze.
This way they freeze beatifully.

Can you cook frozen raw noodles without defrosting.?

yes. Just drop them in boiling water. I do it all the time.

Can you re-heat frozen cooked noodles without defrosting.?

not recommended. you'd have glue.

How do frozen cooked noodles taste after re-heating.?

you don't want to find out.

Old 18-10-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I always make noodle dough after I make anything requiring egg whites
(I can't bring myself to waste those yolks!). Anyhow, when the dough
is complete I make it into fist-sized balls, flatten a bit, wrap in
plastic wrap, put the balls into a zipper-style plastic bag, and
freeze. When I am ready to make the noodles, I take a ball or two of
the dough out of the freezer, let it thaw on the counter for about an
hour, and proceed to make the noodles. It takes up a lot less freezer
space, and the noodles are fantastic!

Old 18-10-2006, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"David" cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom wrote:

Hi all,

I will be making some egg noodles tonight, more than I'll need for my dish,
and need some advice.
This the recipe I'm using for the noodles:

2 cups Semolina
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp corn oil

Thanks for any advice,

David.

Had you considered drying them instead of freezing them? Every January
I make about a year's worth of fine egg noodles for soup use and gifts.
I mix the dough in a food processor so it is very stiff (about like your
recipe, but I don't add any more fat than the eggs provide).
As I cut them (pasta maker) I put them on paper toweling on a wire
cooling rack and set them in front of a heat register to dry overnight.
When they're dry I bag them (Baggie-type) and store in a tin on a pantry
shelf. Works slicker'n snot.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."
Old 18-10-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "David"
cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom says...
Hi all,

I will be making some egg noodles tonight, more than I'll need for my dish,
and need some advice.

Is it best to cook noodles and then freeze or freeze uncooked.?

Can you cook frozen raw noodles without defrosting.?

Can you re-heat frozen cooked noodles without defrosting.?

How do frozen cooked noodles taste after re-heating.?

Best to freeze uncooked.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Old 18-10-2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you all, for your advice and ideas.

David.

"David" cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom wrote in message
Hi all,

I will be making some egg noodles tonight, more than I'll need for my
dish, and need some advice.

Is it best to cook noodles and then freeze or freeze uncooked.?

Can you cook frozen raw noodles without defrosting.?

Can you re-heat frozen cooked noodles without defrosting.?

How do frozen cooked noodles taste after re-heating.?

This the recipe I'm using for the noodles:

2 cups Semolina
2 eggs
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp corn oil

Thanks for any advice,

David.

Hanoi Beef Noodle Soup, Pho Bo (4) Collection JumpinJude Recipes (moderated) 0 10-09-2006 12:56 AM
Culinary herbFAQ part 7/7 Henriette Kress Preserving 0 12-06-2006 06:37 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 7/7 Henriette Kress Preserving 0 30-01-2006 12:58 PM
Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
Culinary herbFAQ part 7/7 Henriette Kress Preserving 0 31-12-2003 02:09 PM