Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking magazines

Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
feels this way? I doubt it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

Gourmet isn't the magazine that it used to be. I read it but only at the
library.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"merryb" > wrote:

> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

I used to really like Gourmet but I think it has gone way downhill. I
canceled that at least 5 years ago. My husband came with Bon Appetit
but comparing the two month after month and seeing the same "theme", I
let that drop when the subscription expired too.

My favorite is Fine Cooking. Yes, it has ads but nothing like the other
two magazines. Great recipes as well.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

merryb wrote:
> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

You're not the only one. CI is instructive not only for the techniques
but also for demonstrating a reasonably rigorous approach to comparing
and testing. Sometimes it provokes little arguments/discussions in
your own mind, which is a good sign that it's offering something
substantive. I don't know any other food magazine that is worth its
subscription price, let alone the cover price.

We subscribe to Sunset for the gardening and travel sections more than
for the food section, but I find there is often a recipe that seems
worth trying. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

My favorite is Saveur. Like Cook's, it is smaller than many of the
others, but with more useful content. If you are going to have ads,
fine, but do not break up the content with interminable amounts of ads
that make it difficult to follow the story and/or recipes. Several
pages of ads between the articles do not bother me nearly as much.

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

My mom just got me a subscription to Cooking Light for my birthday.
i'll let ya know what i think of that.

Personally, I was going to let my subscriptions to Gourmet and Bon
Apetit lapse, but found a new-subscriber offer of BOTH magazines for a
year for $20. Less than $1 per issue makes it worth it to wade through
the ads - it's relaxing sometimes. So I'm still getting those but they
sure ain't what they used t be.

Personally, I'm a little sad to see where Gourmet has gone under Ruth
Reichl's editorship. I really like her writings but she's let Gourmet
go far, far astray from the quality read it once was.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> > Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> > find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> > understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> > mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> > feels this way? I doubt it!

> Personally, I'm a little sad to see where Gourmet has gone under Ruth
> Reichl's editorship. I really like her writings but she's let Gourmet
> go far, far astray from the quality read it once was.

agreed that most foof mags have deteriorated
they're out to make money
it's competitive in the marketplace

going online nowadays
then to the local Libarary to feel
and sniff the ink and gooh gaah over pics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

merryb wrote:
> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

I feel exactly the same way and that's why I currently have no
subscriptions!
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> > Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> > find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> > understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> > mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> > feels this way? I doubt it!

> My mom just got me a subscription to Cooking Light for my birthday.
> i'll let ya know what i think of that.

I was going to say that I've been getting Cooking Light for a few
years. I like it because it's not solely recipes. It has health tips,
exercises, etc. Unfortunately, it too is filled with ads. I used to
get Vegetarian Times for years but it went from a thick magazine to
something so thin it was pathetic and not worth the money.

I get a lot of magazines monthly; it's the result of being a vagabond
for so many years and being incapable of subscribing for most of my
adult years. All of them are filled with advertisements and I guess
I've learned to ignore them. Let's face it; unless it's National
Geographic, magazines are not really high quality education :-) For
me, it's an indulgence of minor proportions, something that's fun to
get in the mail that assuages the pain of bills, and they provide mild
entertainment or distraction for about 15 minutes :-) Honestly, I
think that the concept of magazines is far more exciting than the
magazines themselves.

I do love my Coastal Living magazines though. Just looking at the
oceas, beach houses and "shell stuff" makes me feel like I'm back in S.
CA again; but I"m far from there now :-(
Man do I digress! I went from cooking magazines to longing for the
ocean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Oct 2006 21:17:39 -0700, "-L." > wrote:

>merryb wrote:
>> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
>> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
>> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
>> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
>> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
>> feels this way? I doubt it!

>I feel exactly the same way and that's why I currently have no
>subscriptions!
>-L.

DITTO... no subscriptions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> feels this way? I doubt it!

I have cancelled a number of subscriptions and stopped buying them at
stores because there are just too damned many adds and no content. My
mother used to buy me a subscription to National Geographic but I asked
her not to bother because they screwed around with the format and made it
too hard to read. Instead of captioned pictures inset in the articles
they now have large pictures with captions printed over top in various
colours. My eyes can't handle it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote

> I get a lot of magazines monthly; it's the result of being a vagabond
> for so many years and being incapable of subscribing for most of my
> adult years. All of them are filled with advertisements and I guess
> I've learned to ignore them.

I love magazines, but not nearly as much as I used to. I used to
get scads of them. They certainly have their place and I have
learned many things on a myriad of topics by reading them.
For instance, there has been an advertising blitz about a virus
causing cervical cancer, I didn't know, did you know? tell
someone! Well ... Yeah, I knew, because I read magazines.

It's true, some of them have really gone overboard with the
ads. I used to get that fancy dancy decorating magazine, you
could hardly pick it up, then you were 1/4 through the thing
before you found any content. At least.

Gourmet got that way ... they kept prices down but man, page
after page of ads. Then I would get to an article and it was all
about some restaurant I'm not interested in visiting. Then a
travelogue overview of wines. It just wasn't for me. Unfortunately,
Bon Appetit seems to have tried their best to be like them. I don't
know why.

I'd rather pay a few more dollars a year and have it the way it
was. It's $10 a year now. That tells me they are struggling to
hold onto their subscribers.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:
<snip snip snip>

> My favorite is Saveur. Like Cook's, it is smaller than many of the
> others, but with more useful content. If you are going to have ads,
> fine, but do not break up the content with interminable amounts of ads
> that make it difficult to follow the story and/or recipes. Several
> pages of ads between the articles do not bother me nearly as much.
>
> Dean G.

I also like Saveur Magazine: I enjoy reading the articles about
various places around the globe and the foods made there. I've gotten
some great recipes from that magazine over the years.

Jim Lahue

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> It's true, some of them have really gone overboard with the
> ads. I used to get that fancy dancy decorating magazine, you
> could hardly pick it up, then you were 1/4 through the thing
> before you found any content. At least.

I sometimes buy a copy of _Vanity Fair_, always loaded with ads. What I do
is sit down and go through the magazine and tear the ads out...then I can
read it. Obsessive - compulsive I know but it's the only way reading the
thing is bearable...sometimes it takes me a whiles to even find the index.

I only buy one other magazine, _Collectible Automobile_, it has no ads :-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> I sometimes buy a copy of _Vanity Fair_, always loaded with ads. What I do
> is sit down and go through the magazine and tear the ads out...then I can
> read it. Obsessive - compulsive I know but it's the only way reading the
> thing is bearable...sometimes it takes me a whiles to even find the index.

Reminds me of the episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie describes
her secret single girl behavior of standing in the kitchen reading the
latest issue of Vogue, while eating a stack of saltine crackers with
grape jelly on them (ObFood). Rituals are important! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
> > I sometimes buy a copy of _Vanity Fair_, always loaded with ads. What I

do
> > is sit down and go through the magazine and tear the ads out...then I

can
> > read it. Obsessive - compulsive I know but it's the only way reading

the
> > thing is bearable...sometimes it takes me a whiles to even find the

> Reminds me of the episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie describes
> her secret single girl behavior of standing in the kitchen reading the
> latest issue of Vogue, while eating a stack of saltine crackers with
> grape jelly on them (ObFood). Rituals are important! LOL

Yep, and I am VERY anal about tearing out the ads, they must be COMPLETELY
torn out down to the SPINE of the magazine, no ragged page remnants...it
took me a whiles to master this task but now I'm a pro at it :-)

--
Best
Greg loves _Sex and the City_

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Lahue wrote:

> Dean G. wrote:
> <snip snip snip>
>

>> My favorite is Saveur. Like Cook's, it is smaller than many of the
>> others, but with more useful content.

> I also like Saveur Magazine: I enjoy reading the articles about
> various places around the globe and the foods made there. I've gotten
> some great recipes from that magazine over the years.

I subscribed for a year when my niece was selling magazines for school.
I liked reading the content, and there were plenty of recipes, but none
of them ever seemed like foods my friends and family would eat. I think
out of all the issues, I saved one minestrone soup recipe.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn wrote:
> Jim Lahue wrote:
>
> > Dean G. wrote:
> > <snip snip snip>
> >

> >> My favorite is Saveur. Like Cook's, it is smaller than many of the
> >> others, but with more useful content.

> > I also like Saveur Magazine: I enjoy reading the articles about
> > various places around the globe and the foods made there. I've gotten
> > some great recipes from that magazine over the years.

> I subscribed for a year when my niece was selling magazines for school.
> I liked reading the content, and there were plenty of recipes, but none
> of them ever seemed like foods my friends and family would eat. I think
> out of all the issues, I saved one minestrone soup recipe.
>

> Dawn

I agree- seems like they make up the strangest combos they can think of
just to say they created a "recipe"- most sound awful, or make you
wonder why they added a certain ingredient

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tofuqueen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I was going to say that I've been getting Cooking Light for a few
> years. I like it because it's not solely recipes. It has health tips,
> exercises, etc. Unfortunately, it too is filled with ads.

That's exactly why I finally cancelled my subscription -- too few recipes
and too many woman-oriented articles on diets, women's sports bras, beauty
tips, women's health problems and the like. Look at the editorial staff
listings--only 1 or 2 men in the whole organization. I wanted healthy
recipes and had trouble finding many. I decided I'd rather buy their annual
"best recipes of xxxx (year)" instead. Only recipes in those.

Ken (the curmudgeonly cook)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Oct 2006 10:40:47 -0700, "merryb" > wrote:

>Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
>Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
>find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
>understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
>mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
>feels this way? I doubt it!

If you're looking for the best value for your money in a cooking
magazine, might I suggest the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario)
quarterly magazine.

It's a *very* high quality mag, lots of booze info and excellent
recipes. Lots of advertizing, as well, but I can put up with that,
since it's FREE. Pick it up at your local liquor store. I routinely
cut out recipes from this mag.

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > > I sometimes buy a copy of _Vanity Fair_, always loaded with ads. What I

> do
> > > is sit down and go through the magazine and tear the ads out...then I

> can
> > > read it. Obsessive - compulsive I know but it's the only way reading

> the
> > > thing is bearable...sometimes it takes me a whiles to even find the

> > Reminds me of the episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie describes
> > her secret single girl behavior of standing in the kitchen reading the
> > latest issue of Vogue, while eating a stack of saltine crackers with
> > grape jelly on them (ObFood). Rituals are important! LOL

> Yep, and I am VERY anal about tearing out the ads, they must be COMPLETELY
> torn out down to the SPINE of the magazine, no ragged page remnants...it
> took me a whiles to master this task but now I'm a pro at it :-)

I'm the same way. And I my daughter (pre teen) just started b uying
Teen People (barf!) and I noticed a stack of the ads on the coffee
table a few days ago. A great example of kids doing what they SEE
rather than what they hear. :-)

Maybe you can find a full time job, going door to door, ripping out
people's ads???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" <gregorymorrowBEYONDTHEVALLEYOFTHELOAFHEADS@earthl ink.net>
wrote

> Yep, and I am VERY anal about tearing out the ads, they must be COMPLETELY
> torn out down to the SPINE of the magazine, no ragged page remnants...it
> took me a whiles to master this task but now I'm a pro at it :-)

That's funny. Those heavier paper ads must come out, to the spine,
as you say. Also the lap flaps things. But first and foremost, the
perfume ads, o-u-t out of there and into the garbage in another room.
Luckily they are not as bad as they used to be.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:

> My favorite is Saveur. Like Cook's, it is smaller than many of the
> others, but with more useful content. If you are going to have ads,
> fine, but do not break up the content with interminable amounts of ads
> that make it difficult to follow the story and/or recipes. Several
> pages of ads between the articles do not bother me nearly as much.
>
> Dean G.

I'm with you on Saveur, which I just renewed for the 5th or 6th time.
Lots of people stories with good recipes to go with the articles. I'm
down to Saveur and Cuisine at Home, which is probably patterned after
Cook's Illustrated, but with photos instead of line drawings and with
lots of articles by cooks/chefs other than the magazine's staff.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tofuqueen wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > Goomba38 wrote:

What I
> > do

> > can

reading
> > the

> > > Reminds me of the episode of "Sex and the City" where Carrie describes
> > > her secret single girl behavior of standing in the kitchen reading the
> > > latest issue of Vogue, while eating a stack of saltine crackers with
> > > grape jelly on them (ObFood). Rituals are important! LOL

> > Yep, and I am VERY anal about tearing out the ads, they must be

COMPLETELY
> > torn out down to the SPINE of the magazine, no ragged page remnants...it
> > took me a whiles to master this task but now I'm a pro at it :-)
> >

> I'm the same way. And I my daughter (pre teen) just started b uying
> Teen People (barf!) and I noticed a stack of the ads on the coffee
> table a few days ago. A great example of kids doing what they SEE
> rather than what they hear. :-)
>
> Maybe you can find a full time job, going door to door, ripping out
> people's ads???

You know IIRC in the Kitty Kelly bio of Nancy Reagan it was said that one of
Nancy's strict DEMANDS was that all the ads had to be torn our of all her
magazines, WOE to the assistant that made a mistake! She also had to get
her copy of _Women's Wear Daily_ EVERY day wherever she was in the world, at
times Air Force planes were dispatched to some distant place she was
visiting solely so she get her _WWD_ on time...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> tofuqueen wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

> What I
>> > do

>> > can

> reading
>> > the

>> > Yep, and I am VERY anal about tearing out the ads, they must be

> COMPLETELY
>> > torn out down to the SPINE of the magazine, no ragged page
>> > remnants...it took me a whiles to master this task but now I'm a
>> > pro at it :-)
>> >

>> I'm the same way. And I my daughter (pre teen) just started b uying
>> Teen People (barf!) and I noticed a stack of the ads on the coffee
>> table a few days ago. A great example of kids doing what they SEE
>> rather than what they hear. :-)
>>
>> Maybe you can find a full time job, going door to door, ripping out
>> people's ads???

> You know IIRC in the Kitty Kelly bio of Nancy Reagan it was said that
> one of Nancy's strict DEMANDS was that all the ads had to be torn our
> of all her magazines, WOE to the assistant that made a mistake! She
> also had to get her copy of _Women's Wear Daily_ EVERY day wherever
> she was in the world, at times Air Force planes were dispatched to
> some distant place she was visiting solely so she get her _WWD_ on
> time...

I remember Mom had a micro, hand held "coupon cutter" device. It was a
little razor thingy with a plastic frame with a narrow blade in the
middle. The plastic "scoops" on the sides of the blade would lift the
paper so the blade would only cut through the one sheet of paper as you
drove it around the dashlines. A very cool device.

Somebody filled that need, quite profitably I imagined.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I remember Mom had a micro, hand held "coupon cutter" device. It was a
> little razor thingy with a plastic frame with a narrow blade in the
> middle. The plastic "scoops" on the sides of the blade would lift the
> paper so the blade would only cut through the one sheet of paper as
> you drove it around the dashlines. A very cool device.
>
> Somebody filled that need, quite profitably I imagined.
>
> Andy

Ah! My mom had one of those, too! I think the local "Welcome Wagon" (do
those neighborhood greeting people still exist?) gave it to her along with a
small package of other "helpful" household items such as a sprinkler-top
plastic bottle for sprinkling clothes while ironing. Heh. Ironing? This
was in the golden age of polyester and poly/blends (not to mention leisure
suits!). Who the heck was ironing anything? Sure wasn't my mom! That
little coupon-cutter thing worked well, though, and got lots of use.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you are tired of ads and want to see a really good food magazine, try
"Taste of Home" by Reminisce. There are NO ads at all only recipes from
readers and some are really fantastic. I know you would enjoy it.

Good luck.
Cindy Lee

Have a good day`

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Ah! My mom had one of those, too! I think the local "Welcome Wagon" (do
> those neighborhood greeting people still exist?)

Jill,

They did in 1992. "We" (then) got a basket of stuff from the Welcome Wagon
(Chamber of Commerce stuff). Very heavily weighed with tick and lyme
disease info. (

Ah well.

Good stuff to know.

Lyme disease free since,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Its our tax / incorporation laws .
They encourage a firm to encorporate for lower taxes , a leg up
on private business . [corp] means limited liability . You KNOW what
LIABILITY is !!!! You cant sue them for any theft ....
Then they see the encredible gains by befriending a congressman ....
It is impossible to get quality without competition , no C' when
the
law destroys all private bus' !!
Equality destroyed competition . Then equalty destroyed justice
Injustice is violent crime . its a circle ....

So why cant we get some stuff from this NG ? Everyone is searching
for good recipes . Whats the diff' between your magazines and the NG
?
The authors are certified . Can we certify posters ? no......
It dont work .

In a free world ( no govt ) , reputation is king . But competition
is
so fierce , 90% of Americans lose job and are deported , leaving
only the best reputation . In 30 yrs there will be NO government ,
world pop' will be less than 500 million . Races will be separated .
No one will own a gun .

Now when they print a magazine , all successful people read it .
it costs $160 a copy .
Thats the "dues" ya gotta pay in a free society .

I think its cheaper to eye the flamers . Notice who they flame .
Some are flaming "givers"/Elmers , others are flaming political
types ...
Sometimes ya learn from one of these types ..

Those who use this place for email/entertaiment wont give ya
anything ...

Dave Smith wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>
> > Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> > Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> > find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> > understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> > mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> > feels this way? I doubt it!

> I have cancelled a number of subscriptions and stopped buying them at
> stores because there are just too damned many adds and no content. My
> mother used to buy me a subscription to National Geographic but I asked
> her not to bother because they screwed around with the format and made it
> too hard to read. Instead of captioned pictures inset in the articles
> they now have large pictures with captions printed over top in various
> colours. My eyes can't handle it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Lee wrote:

> If you are tired of ads and want to see a really good food magazine, try
> "Taste of Home" by Reminisce. There are NO ads at all only recipes from
> readers and some are really fantastic. I know you would enjoy it.
>
> Good luck.
> Cindy Lee
>
> Have a good day`

I agree about *Taste of Home*. It is a small mag., probably because of
the no ad policy. But the recipes are really good and easy. (Can never
find the darn toothpick!)

I occasionally look through cooking magazines at the store to see if
they have interesting recipes before I buy it. Many times I've just put
it back on the stand without buying because as I flipped through, every
stop was an ad. Does not inspire purchase when you see no food, only
advertisements.

Travlr

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking magazines (frivilous demands)

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>> You know, IIRC, in the Kitty Kelly bio of Nancy Reagan, it was said
>> that one of
>> Nancy's strict DEMANDS was that all the ads had to be torn out of all her
>> magazines, WOE to the assistant that made a mistake! She also had to get
>> her copy of _Women's Wear Daily_ EVERY day wherever she was in the
>> world; at
>> times Air Force planes were dispatched to some distant place she was
>> visiting solely so she get her _WWD_ on time...

> Allow me to highjack this thread. If you were filthy rich and/or
> powerful and could get away with making frivilous demands of that sort,
> what would you demand? Someone to peel grapes for you? Someone to pick
> up after your dog? A silencer on all cell phones in every restaurant
> you ate at for the time you were there?

For starters.

One of the first things I'd do if I were filthy rich is have
my own, live-in, personal hairdresser to wash my hair for me.
Every day I would have a half-hour long shampoo/head massage!

And I'd have a chef, but he/she would have to make everything
according to my specifications. I would sit in a throne in the
corner of the kitchen and give orders. I'm sure they would
hate me and plot my demise. Oh, well. The main reason I'd
like to have a personal chef is to make salads. I'm too lazy
to make them for myself, but if someone made them for me I'd
eat them.

> --Lia, who doesn't care for the heavier paper ads that make a magazine
> open to their page, but who doesn't mind the others

Me either. The first thing I do when I get a mag is
go through it and remove all the ad thingies. Sometimes
when I'm at someone else's house and I look through one of
their magazines I'm appalled by the fact that they don't
remove the damn things. How can they stand it??? It's so
annoying.

I'm also one of these people who have to remove any labels
or price tags the minute I get home with something. I can't
stand seeing things with them on. I know people who leave
them on for *years*!!! What are they thinking???? One of the
good things about the new price scanning technology in super-
markets is that there is no need any longer to put price
tags on everything. Although, in some cases I wish they still
would because there are times when the price tags on the shelves
are missing or wrong or misleading and you don't know how much
something is. So, I guess I'm sort of torn on this issue.
But I always hated looking at the bottle of ketchup sitting
on the table with a price tag on it or the new broom standing
in the corner with the label still on the handle. And they
used to be hard to get off cleanly so it wasn't that you
could easily remove it and be done with it. Oh, well.
I guess there's just no pleasing me.

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If I'm glancing through a magazine at the Barnes & Noble, I remove the
ad thingies that fall out or that rip out easily. I figure I'm adding
value for whoever buys it, but I'll bet the officials at B&N would say I
was defacing property.

Price tags don't bother me, but tags in clothing do. If I were filthy
rich, I'd have someone remove the tags for me. On the other hand, I do
that for myself now, and it isn't a big deal. I have a seam ripper and
a sewing machine.

Whenever I go to a new restaurant, I want to try everything on the menu.
If I were filthy rich, I think I'd make a deal with the chef to make
mini-portions of everything, then be on hand to make more of whatever I
liked.

--Lia

Kate Connally wrote:

> Me either. The first thing I do when I get a mag is
> go through it and remove all the ad thingies. Sometimes
> when I'm at someone else's house and I look through one of
> their magazines I'm appalled by the fact that they don't
> remove the damn things. How can they stand it??? It's so
> annoying.
>
> I'm also one of these people who have to remove any labels
> or price tags the minute I get home with something. I can't
> stand seeing things with them on. I know people who leave
> them on for *years*!!! What are they thinking???? One of the
> good things about the new price scanning technology in super-
> markets is that there is no need any longer to put price
> tags on everything. Although, in some cases I wish they still
> would because there are times when the price tags on the shelves
> are missing or wrong or misleading and you don't know how much
> something is. So, I guess I'm sort of torn on this issue.
> But I always hated looking at the bottle of ketchup sitting
> on the table with a price tag on it or the new broom standing
> in the corner with the label still on the handle. And they
> used to be hard to get off cleanly so it wasn't that you
> could easily remove it and be done with it. Oh, well.
> I guess there's just no pleasing me.
>
> Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

werty wrote:

> Its our tax / incorporation laws .
> They encourage a firm to encorporate for lower taxes , a leg up
> on private business . [corp] means limited liability . You KNOW what
> LIABILITY is !!!! You cant sue them for any theft ....
> Then they see the encredible gains by befriending a congressman ....
> It is impossible to get quality without competition , no C' when

What does that have to do with the advertising content? I think that we are all
well aware of the fact that magazines are published for profit and that it
costs money to gather articles and photos, print , assemble, bind and
distribute them. Our subscriptions help to pay the costs and the rest of the
revenues come from advertising. The problem is that they get carried away with
the advertising. There is getting to be a lot of magazines out there that are
mostly advertising and very little content. It's ridiculous. I will pay for a
magazine that has interesting content. I am not going to pay for a magazine
that is mostly advertising.

> the
> law destroys all private bus' !!
> Equality destroyed competition . Then equalty destroyed justice
> Injustice is violent crime . its a circle ....
>
> So why cant we get some stuff from this NG ? Everyone is searching
> for good recipes . Whats the diff' between your magazines and the NG
> ?
> The authors are certified . Can we certify posters ? no......
> It dont work .
>
> In a free world ( no govt ) , reputation is king . But competition
> is
> so fierce , 90% of Americans lose job and are deported , leaving
> only the best reputation . In 30 yrs there will be NO government ,
> world pop' will be less than 500 million . Races will be separated .
> No one will own a gun .
>
> Now when they print a magazine , all successful people read it .
> it costs $160 a copy .
> Thats the "dues" ya gotta pay in a free society .
>
> I think its cheaper to eye the flamers . Notice who they flame .
> Some are flaming "givers"/Elmers , others are flaming political
> types ...
> Sometimes ya learn from one of these types ..
>
> Those who use this place for email/entertaiment wont give ya
> anything ...
>
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > merryb wrote:
> >
> > > Gotta vent a little. I cancelled subscriptions to both Bon Appetit and
> > > Gourmet becauce of the overwhelming amount of ads. It ****es me off to
> > > find more ads than articles. Even Sunset is driving me nuts. I
> > > understand the mags need to printy ads, but give me a break...The only
> > > mag I will subscribe to is Cook's Illustrated. Am I the only one who
> > > feels this way? I doubt it!

> > I have cancelled a number of subscriptions and stopped buying them at
> > stores because there are just too damned many adds and no content. My
> > mother used to buy me a subscription to National Geographic but I asked
> > her not to bother because they screwed around with the format and made it
> > too hard to read. Instead of captioned pictures inset in the articles
> > they now have large pictures with captions printed over top in various
> > colours. My eyes can't handle it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:

> If you're looking for the best value for your money in a cooking
> magazine, might I suggest the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario)
> quarterly magazine.
>
> It's a *very* high quality mag, lots of booze info and excellent
> recipes. Lots of advertizing, as well, but I can put up with that,
> since it's FREE. Pick it up at your local liquor store. I routinely
> cut out recipes from this mag.

You can't beat the price, but you have to get there early to get one
because they get snapped up. I liked the earlier issues of it because the
recipes were much simpler, the sorts of things you could whip up while
enjoying some of the advertiser's products. Lately the have become a little
more complicated, but dang, some of them sure look good. One of my
favourite dishes , Mango Chicken, came from a cream advertisement.

I have a niece who has been collecting the entire series. She moved to
Estonia last year and asked me to send them to her. I had a rude surprise
the first time I sent on air mail. It cost me $14. Now they go by a slower,
less expensive route.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote

> If I'm glancing through a magazine at the Barnes & Noble, I remove the ad
> thingies that fall out or that rip out easily. I figure I'm adding value
> for whoever buys it, but I'll bet the officials at B&N would say I was
> defacing property.

You are, because I wouldn't buy it. The magazine must remain
virginal until I open it. Keep your mitts off.

Heh, that's my frivolous demand. Don't manhandle the magazines;
if you do, buy it.

nancy