Ken Stauffer

Default grassy taste in angus beef

I bought expensive angus beef at Randalls (in austin, tx). These were rib-eye and they all had a disgusting grassy taste in
them. The meat was juicy and grilled to perfection.

I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a good steak house. Anybody with insight on why this
is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my meat wrong...

I have even tried trimming all the fat from around the rib-eye, but the grassy flavor is everywhere. Even if I baste the damn
thing BBQ sauce I can still taste. I feel like I am eating my lawn..

Help!

Ken

--
___________
Stauffer Computer Consulting

http://www.stauffercom.com

levelwave

Ken Stauffer wrote:

> I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a good steak house. Anybody with insight on why this
> is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my meat wrong...

Without knowing how you prepped your meat it's hard to say... gimme' a
quick rundown...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Ken Stauffer

Grilled on an electric grill, high heat, for 12-15 minutes. Salt/pepper on both sides before grilling. Fliped steaks every 3
minutes

"levelwave" > wrote in message ...
> Ken Stauffer wrote:
>
> > I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a good steak house. Anybody with insight on why

this
> > is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my meat wrong...

> Without knowing how you prepped your meat it's hard to say... gimme' a
> quick rundown...
>
> ~john!
>

> --
> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
> away...

levelwave

Ken Stauffer wrote:

> Grilled on an electric grill <snip>

bingo... You baked your steak...

My parents bought one of these fallacies after their old grill broke
down...Every time I visit I get more and more disgusted with this
thing... so much so I bought them a Weber Genesis Silver B for their
Birthday...

You'll have much better results using a cast iron pan... My suggestion
though is to invest in a Weber - either charcoal or gas...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Bob Sisson

Angus, in my opinion, is like Wague, it is best when rare-to-medium.

Depending on how thick your steaks were, they may have been way overdone.

Angus DOES have a much stronger, to some a game-ier, flavor than most beef.

I typically just use salt and pepper on mine. I S&P them heavily about an
hour before I cook, most falls off when I grill them.

A resturant will have a VERY powerful broiler and can easaly crisp the
outside while keeping the interior pink. They can do the same on the stove
top or grill.

I pre-heat my grill untill it is HOT, and then will do 5-min on one side and
4-min on the other for a 1"-1.5" thick Rib-eye. It is still pink in the
middle. (Pink, not purple). Occasionally, when I find really well marbled
Angus, I will go warm-purple in the middle, but it has to be really good
Angus.

Just my $.02

Ken Stauffer

thanks, i'm probably not using high enough heat...

"Bob Sisson" > wrote in message m...
> Angus, in my opinion, is like Wague, it is best when rare-to-medium.
>
> Depending on how thick your steaks were, they may have been way overdone.
>
> Angus DOES have a much stronger, to some a game-ier, flavor than most beef.
>
> I typically just use salt and pepper on mine. I S&P them heavily about an
> hour before I cook, most falls off when I grill them.
>
> A resturant will have a VERY powerful broiler and can easaly crisp the
> outside while keeping the interior pink. They can do the same on the stove
> top or grill.
>
> I pre-heat my grill untill it is HOT, and then will do 5-min on one side and
> 4-min on the other for a 1"-1.5" thick Rib-eye. It is still pink in the
> middle. (Pink, not purple). Occasionally, when I find really well marbled
> Angus, I will go warm-purple in the middle, but it has to be really good
> Angus.
>
> Just my $.02

Peter Aitken

"Bob Sisson" > wrote in message
m...
> Angus, in my opinion, is like Wague, it is best when rare-to-medium.
>
> Depending on how thick your steaks were, they may have been way overdone.
>
> Angus DOES have a much stronger, to some a game-ier, flavor than most

beef.

> I typically just use salt and pepper on mine. I S&P them heavily about an
> hour before I cook, most falls off when I grill them.
>
> A resturant will have a VERY powerful broiler and can easaly crisp the
> outside while keeping the interior pink. They can do the same on the

stove
> top or grill.
>
> I pre-heat my grill untill it is HOT, and then will do 5-min on one side

and
> 4-min on the other for a 1"-1.5" thick Rib-eye. It is still pink in the
> middle. (Pink, not purple). Occasionally, when I find really well marbled
> Angus, I will go warm-purple in the middle, but it has to be really good
> Angus.

"Angus" beef is purely a marketing concept. It is totally meaningless
otherwise. The marketers have cleverly convinced a lot of people that beef
marked "angus" is somehow different or superior - pure bullshit. "Angus"
beef can be very good, but so can "non-angus" beef. People can be so
gullible!

--
Peter Aitken

Mr. Wizard

"Ken Stauffer" > wrote in message
m...
> I bought expensive angus beef at Randalls (in austin, tx). These were

rib-eye and they all had a disgusting grassy taste in
> them. The meat was juicy and grilled to perfection.
>
> I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a

good steak house. Anybody with insight on why this
> is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my

meat wrong...

This "grassy taste" idea must be something someone
fed you and not the beef.
The "Angus Beef" Randall's sells is aged at least two weeks
and is corn fed for a significant period before slaughter.
Are you using fresh ground black pepper?
The best pepper for any beef is Malabar Pepper.
Texas beef is always better if you dry season it with a
little ground cumin and garlic. Rub salt only into the fatty edge
and bone (if applicable) prior to cooking and salt it heavily.
If you can't grill it over an open flame, pan fry it.
To pan fry, sear the fatty edge first and then the faces of the steak.
Keep the heat high enough to caramelize the surface of the steak,
you don't want to steam it.

wej3715

Peter Aitken ) wrote:
: "Angus" beef is purely a marketing concept. It is totally meaningless
: otherwise. The marketers have cleverly convinced a lot of people that beef
: marked "angus" is somehow different or superior - pure bullshit. "Angus"
: beef can be very good, but so can "non-angus" beef. People can be so
: gullible!

Amen!

Where I live, you don't even see such claims, but there are a
lot of cattlemen around here.

What you do see in the grocery stores is beef from some local
ranches and marked as such.

My mother only buys Skelton's Natural Beef any more. She
buys it at a local farm supply store.

And I sometimes buy 3J Beef (from the Venneman Ranch) at the
grocery store a block from my office.

Eric Johnson
Mr. Wizard

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "Bob Sisson" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Angus, in my opinion, is like Wague, it is best when rare-to-medium.
> >
> > Depending on how thick your steaks were, they may have been way

overdone.

> > Angus DOES have a much stronger, to some a game-ier, flavor than most

> beef.
> >
> > I typically just use salt and pepper on mine. I S&P them heavily about

an
> > hour before I cook, most falls off when I grill them.
> >
> > A resturant will have a VERY powerful broiler and can easaly crisp the
> > outside while keeping the interior pink. They can do the same on the

> stove
> > top or grill.
> >
> > I pre-heat my grill untill it is HOT, and then will do 5-min on one side

> and
> > 4-min on the other for a 1"-1.5" thick Rib-eye. It is still pink in the
> > middle. (Pink, not purple). Occasionally, when I find really well

marbled
> > Angus, I will go warm-purple in the middle, but it has to be really good
> > Angus.
> >

> "Angus" beef is purely a marketing concept. It is totally meaningless
> otherwise. The marketers have cleverly convinced a lot of people that beef
> marked "angus" is somehow different or superior - pure bullshit. "Angus"
> beef can be very good, but so can "non-angus" beef. People can be so
> gullible!

Angus beef comes from Aberdeen Angus Breed Cattle.
It is now and always has been different.
The Angus breed is superior genetically to all other breeds
for beef production.
http://www.aberdeen-angus.com/index.html

Louis Cohen

The last time I ate at a steak house (Black Angus), my reaction was, why am
I spending money here and getting seriously bad-for-you side dishes when I
can grill as good or better steak at home.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ken Stauffer" > wrote in message
m...
> I bought expensive angus beef at Randalls (in austin, tx). These were

rib-eye and they all had a disgusting grassy taste in
> them. The meat was juicy and grilled to perfection.
>
> I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a

good steak house. Anybody with insight on why this
> is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my

meat wrong...

> I have even tried trimming all the fat from around the rib-eye, but the

grassy flavor is everywhere. Even if I baste the damn
> thing BBQ sauce I can still taste. I feel like I am eating my lawn..
>
> Help!
>
> Ken
>

> --
> ___________
> Stauffer Computer Consulting

http://www.stauffercom.com

wej3715

Louis Cohen ) wrote:
: The last time I ate at a steak house (Black Angus), my reaction was, why am
: I spending money here and getting seriously bad-for-you side dishes when I
: can grill as good or better steak at home.

I don't know that I've ever had a steak at any restraunt
that was any better than what we raised at home.

I have eaten better chicken fried steak at a few places
than what we had at home, but the difference was in the
cooking technique, not the ingredients.

Eric Johnson
Peter Aitken

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > "Bob Sisson" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Angus, in my opinion, is like Wague, it is best when rare-to-medium.
> > >
> > > Depending on how thick your steaks were, they may have been way

> overdone.
> > >
> > > Angus DOES have a much stronger, to some a game-ier, flavor than most

> > beef.
> > >
> > > I typically just use salt and pepper on mine. I S&P them heavily

about
> an
> > > hour before I cook, most falls off when I grill them.
> > >
> > > A resturant will have a VERY powerful broiler and can easaly crisp the
> > > outside while keeping the interior pink. They can do the same on the

> > stove
> > > top or grill.
> > >
> > > I pre-heat my grill untill it is HOT, and then will do 5-min on one

side
> > and
> > > 4-min on the other for a 1"-1.5" thick Rib-eye. It is still pink in

the
> > > middle. (Pink, not purple). Occasionally, when I find really well

> marbled
> > > Angus, I will go warm-purple in the middle, but it has to be really

good
> > > Angus.
> > >

> > "Angus" beef is purely a marketing concept. It is totally meaningless
> > otherwise. The marketers have cleverly convinced a lot of people that

beef
> > marked "angus" is somehow different or superior - pure bullshit. "Angus"
> > beef can be very good, but so can "non-angus" beef. People can be so
> > gullible!
> >

> Angus beef comes from Aberdeen Angus Breed Cattle.
> It is now and always has been different.
> The Angus breed is superior genetically to all other breeds
> for beef production.
> http://www.aberdeen-angus.com/index.html

Whatever the advantages of the Aberdeen-Angus breed, this is not what we are
talking about. Supermarkets sell "Angus beef" which is simply a marketing
label and does not mean the meat came from an Aberdeen-Angus steer. You may
have noticed that the web site you provided does not mention "Angus beef" at
all - should have been a dead giveaway.

--
Peter Aitken

markt36264

Try to marinade in salt, pepper, and a little vinegar. I sometimes use
lemon pepper too. Really crank the heat up, starting at near 500 deg,
then back down a little, 4-5 minutes on each side should be just right.
Keep in mind, most consumer type grills cannot generate enough heat to
cook a steak properly. Get a Ducane or Weber to do it right. The grassy
taste is probably a mental thing. The only thing I notice with pasture
fed beef is a little less fat.

http://www.truettfarms.com/

Member

Unhappy

[quote=Ken Stauffer;5094]I bought expensive angus beef at Randalls (in austin, tx). These were rib-eye and they all had a disgusting grassy taste in
them. The meat was juicy and grilled to perfection.

I just can't seem to prepare a steak at home on the grill like I get at a good steak house. Anybody with insight on why this
is? Randalls grocery store buying crappy product? Or am I preparing my meat wrong...

I have even tried trimming all the fat from around the rib-eye, but the grassy flavor is everywhere. Even if I baste the damn
thing BBQ sauce I can still taste. I feel like I am eating my lawn..

Help!

Ken

It's very possible that the Angus Beef you purchased was fed grass and even could be imported beef from one of several countries that fatten cattle on grass. There are some commercial people that claim to fatten cattle, here in the USA, on grass which could be possible.
Unless you purchase the meat from the producer, you actually have no idea that the meat was from the breed Angus.
Sometimes you can soak the beef in vinegar for a couple of hours to particially remove the grassy taste, but the best thing to do is purchase "feed lot cattle".