what to serve with artichokes

Old 04-10-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what to serve with artichokes

They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also
planning mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several
days ago.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon,
kielbasa, frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of
work and we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

I welcome your suggestions.

Dawn

Old 04-10-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dawn" wrote in message
They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also planning
mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several days ago.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon, kielbasa,
frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of work and
we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

I welcome your suggestions.
Dawn

Fiberglass
(recommended by Beldar, of the Coneheads)

Old 04-10-2006, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Dawn" wrote in message

They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also planning
mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several days ago.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon, kielbasa,
frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of work and
we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

I welcome your suggestions.
Dawn

Stuffed artichokes as an entree?

Make a mix of the ground pork and diced mushrooms, season with salt &
pepper and garlic, a small dice of green onion or shallots wont hurt.

Trim the bottom and tops of artichoke leaves, removing the tough outer
leaves, force open the artichoke and stuff the insides with the meat mix.

Place the stuffed artichokes on a bed of onions, carrots & celery cut
into small dice, in a braising pan just big enough to hold them all
upright. Moisten with stock, cover and cook till done, adding more
liquid if necessary.

When ready to serve, remove the chokes and keep warm while preparing a
sauce from the braising liquid. Pass the braising liquid through a fine
strainer, de fat and add a bit of white wine, reduce a bit and serve
over the chokes.

Note: the French recipe the above is adapted from uses a demi glace to
add to the braising liquid to bring the quantity up to the necessary
amount. A bit of unfiltered apple cider can be used in place of the
recommended white wine. Or make a roux and add milk or stock to form a
sauce to add to the braising liquid.
---
JL
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:00:27 GMT, Dawn
wrote:

They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also
planning mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several
days ago.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon,
kielbasa, frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of
work and we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

I welcome your suggestions.

Dawn

These might get your creative juices going.

Lou

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/in...shroom_risotto

http://www.pizzatherapy.com/stuffed.htm
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

These might get your creative juices going.

Lou

http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/in...shroom_risotto

http://www.pizzatherapy.com/stuffed.htm

Lou, thanks, I didn't even have to click. It'll be pizza, of course!
Skip the risotto, cut up the artichokes, mushrooms, sausage, find some
cheese to throw on that... mmmmmn! If I hurry I can get the dough
started....

Dawn

Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Dawn said:

They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also
planning mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought several
days ago.

Wow, the last time I went to the store, they still had artichokes
for $2.50 each, too rich for my pocketbook -- I'm glad you got a good
price.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon,
kielbasa, frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of
work and we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

Hmmm, okay, if it was me I'd make some turkey patties -- maybe mix the
defrosted turkey meat with some bread or cracker crumbs, some chopped
onion, a few seasonings, and grill or fry in a little olive oil...

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 04-10-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn said...

They looked so good at the market, and they were cheap, so I bought

two.
I'll steam them and serve with lemon tarragon butter. I was also
planning mushroom risotto, to use up the box of shrooms I bought

several
days ago.

I'm not sure what meat/protein main dish would go with that. I've got
frozen fish steaks, bulk ground pork, bulk pork sausage, bacon,
kielbasa, frozen ground turkey, and hot dogs. My husband's been out of
work and we're living off the sale items in the deep freeze.

I welcome your suggestions.

Dawn

Dawn,

Aside from steam artichokes with clarified butter for dipping as a side
dish, my FAVORITE artichoke dish came to me at a Sunday brunch in Redondo
Beach, CA, about 30 years ago.

Eggs Sardou

Toasted English muffins (open-faced) a layer of sauted spinach followed
by an artichoke heart, followed by a poached egg and drowned in
hollendaise sauce.

Sad thing is, I haven't had it in as many years! [sigh]

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

Eggs Sardou

Toasted English muffins (open-faced) a layer of sauted spinach followed
by an artichoke heart, followed by a poached egg and drowned in
hollendaise sauce.

Sad thing is, I haven't had it in as many years! [sigh]

That sounds good, too. I've done eggs benedict before, I'll have to see
if I can remember to get the artichokes and spinach and try it. Thanks!

Dawn

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn wrote:
Andy wrote:

Eggs Sardou

Toasted English muffins (open-faced) a layer of sauted spinach followed
by an artichoke heart, followed by a poached egg and drowned in
hollendaise sauce.

Sad thing is, I haven't had it in as many years! [sigh]

That sounds good, too. I've done eggs benedict before, I'll have to see
if I can remember to get the artichokes and spinach and try it. Thanks!

Dawn

Don't get spinach now!! Save that one for next month!!

Funny you asked, we're having artichokes tonight for my daughter's
birthday dinner. She's turning 10, and whole steamed artichokes are her
favorite food in the world! (That and mac& cheese) I paid $3.99 apiece
for em at the gourmet market - ouch! But they told me they had been
4.99 last week, so i count my blessings.

So, for her decadent birthday dinner, here's our menu.

Starter: steamed shrimp with green goddess dipping sauce

Main meal: mini quiches with jarlsburg cheese, steamed artichokes with
lemon butter, and orzo pasta. Possibly a green salad to add an element
of crunch. And a bowl of fresh raspberries.

Dessert: cake of course!

Old 04-10-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

Don't get spinach now!! Save that one for next month!!

Funny you asked, we're having artichokes tonight for my daughter's
birthday dinner. She's turning 10, and whole steamed artichokes are her
favorite food in the world! (That and mac& cheese) I paid $3.99 apiece
for em at the gourmet market - ouch! But they told me they had been
4.99 last week, so i count my blessings.

Why wait a month for spinach? Did they remove the frozen spinach from the
supermarket freezers, too?

On the flip side, Southeastern PA hasn't gotten fresh or affordable
artichokes in months. They don't even squeak!

I hate putting up with the jarred or frozen bagged artichoke hearts.
They're more leaves than heart. The BUMS!!!

Andy

Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude said...

I paid $3.99 apiece
for em at the gourmet market - ouch! But they told me they had been
4.99 last week, so i count my blessings.

On the flip side, Southeastern PA hasn't gotten fresh or affordable
artichokes in months. They don't even squeak!

These were 2/$3, here in Kansas City, which I thought was pretty good. I
think they were $3 or $4 apiece the week before. The cheapest I have
ever seen them is 2/$1, but I think that usually happens in the spring.

Dawn

Old 04-10-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

Are the above what you intend to use or can you get to the store? I'd thaw
the fish and do it with some kinda pasta. OR, do a pasta dish with the
ground pork.

It's what I have, and can thaw in time for dinner. I can't get to the
store until after 6pm, so shopping for tonight is kinda out of the
question.

Dawn

Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
Dawn wrote:
Andy wrote:

[...]

Sounds like that girl is wise beyond her years!

Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
Spit Roast - What to serve with it ? andyw General Cooking 5 29-08-2005 05:53 PM
Marinated Artichokes Denise~* General Cooking 20 23-06-2004 07:32 AM
Stuffed artichokes -- Nancy? Anna Maria? Frogleg General Cooking 16 01-01-2004 04:02 PM
REQ: Fried Baby Artichokes jmcquown General Cooking 3 01-12-2003 08:07 AM