Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default spatcocked chicken cooking 5 lb meatloaf on deck

I have a chicken butterflied...well I only cut down one side of the
backbone... roasting in the convection oven at 375F. I rubbed some onion
powder, salt and pepper on the skin after rubbing it with oil. Should be
ready in about 1/2 hour from now.

On deck a 5 lb meatloaf waiting in the microwave (away from the cat) to go
in.

The meatloaf should ensure a fair number of freezer ready meals...next up
is some spaghetti squash and a mess of french cut green beans. The majority
of this will be portioned out and frozen for those drag your ass home dead
tired from work days when I don't feel like cooking.

The chicken will be supper and lunch tomorrow.

This time no carrots or celery...some celery seed instead and a mess of
chopped onions and mushrooms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> I have a chicken butterflied...well I only cut down one side of the
> backbone... roasting in the convection oven at 375F. I rubbed some onion
> powder, salt and pepper on the skin after rubbing it with oil. Should be
> ready in about 1/2 hour from now.

I think that would be "spatchcock." Sounds yummy.

N.

> On deck a 5 lb meatloaf waiting in the microwave (away from the cat) to go
> in.
>
> The meatloaf should ensure a fair number of freezer ready meals...next up
> is some spaghetti squash and a mess of french cut green beans. The majority
> of this will be portioned out and frozen for those drag your ass home dead
> tired from work days when I don't feel like cooking.
>
> The chicken will be supper and lunch tomorrow.
>
> This time no carrots or celery...some celery seed instead and a mess of
> chopped onions and mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> I have a chicken butterflied...well I only cut down one side of the
> backbone... roasting in the convection oven at 375F. I rubbed some onion
> powder, salt and pepper on the skin after rubbing it with oil. Should be
> ready in about 1/2 hour from now.
>
> On deck a 5 lb meatloaf waiting in the microwave (away from the cat) to go
> in.
>
> The meatloaf should ensure a fair number of freezer ready meals...next up
> is some spaghetti squash and a mess of french cut green beans. The

majority
> of this will be portioned out and frozen for those drag your ass home dead
> tired from work days when I don't feel like cooking.
>
> The chicken will be supper and lunch tomorrow.
>
> This time no carrots or celery...some celery seed instead and a mess of
> chopped onions and mushrooms.

=====
My kind of food.
Is that all it takes to cook a butterfly chicken? Do you weight it down?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote on 03 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Is that all it takes to cook a butterfly chicken? Do you weight it down?

I just cut the chicken on at least one side of the backbone, spread it out
flat, breast side up, and whack the breastbone a time or 2 hard; till it
will lay totally flat. Season and put it on a rack over a pan (less mess
that way).

The tradtional way is to cut both sides of the backbone. But I am eating
this alone....nobody to gainsay or impress. Plus I have a freezer full of
chicken stock based soup so no need to keep the backbone to make stock with
at a later date...So shoot me I was lazy.

Oh! I pam the rack, as well. And use the convection mode on the oven @
375F...a 2 to 2 1/2 lb bird cooks up in about 45-50 mins. All nice and
juicy with a loverly crisp skin.

I guess you could put dressing/stuffing in the pan so's the chicken juices
would drip into it and have both at the same time...but then I'd need to
make gravy and I don't want to spend the energy today. So just 1/2 a small
chicken and a salad for supper.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

">>
>> The meatloaf should ensure a fair number of freezer ready meals...next up
>> is some spaghetti squash and a mess of french cut green beans. The

> majority
>> of this will be portioned out and frozen for those drag your ass home
>> dead
>> tired from work days when I don't feel like cooking.
>>
>> The chicken will be supper and lunch tomorrow.
>>
>> This time no carrots or celery...some celery seed instead and a mess of
>> chopped onions and mushrooms.

> =====
> My kind of food.
> Is that all it takes to cook a butterfly chicken? Do you weight it down?

Cook once, eat several times... that's a plan !

Spatcocked chicken will work fine in the indoor oven, (matter of fact just
did one in the oven Sunday because my gasser ran empty) but they are really
good on outdoor grill, be it gas or charcoal. And yes, there's really not
much to it, once you've got it flattened. I usually put two skewers through
it to keep it flat. Through the thighs and the wings. Makes turning and
handling a bit easier, but if you have a small enough bird, you can manage
without the skewers.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> ">>
> >> The meatloaf should ensure a fair number of freezer ready meals...next

up
> >> is some spaghetti squash and a mess of french cut green beans. The

> > majority
> >> of this will be portioned out and frozen for those drag your ass home
> >> dead
> >> tired from work days when I don't feel like cooking.
> >>
> >> The chicken will be supper and lunch tomorrow.
> >>
> >> This time no carrots or celery...some celery seed instead and a mess of
> >> chopped onions and mushrooms.

> > =====
> > My kind of food.
> > Is that all it takes to cook a butterfly chicken? Do you weight it

down?

> Cook once, eat several times... that's a plan !
>
> Spatcocked chicken will work fine in the indoor oven, (matter of fact just
> did one in the oven Sunday because my gasser ran empty) but they are

really
> good on outdoor grill, be it gas or charcoal. And yes, there's really not
> much to it, once you've got it flattened. I usually put two skewers

through
> it to keep it flat. Through the thighs and the wings. Makes turning and
> handling a bit easier, but if you have a small enough bird, you can manage
> without the skewers.
>

> Larry T

========
I only did it once, but I did it in a fry pan with a weight on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That's a talented chicken...

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:
>Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> I have a chicken butterflied...well I only cut down one side of the
>> backbone... roasting in the convection oven at 375F. I rubbed some onion
>> powder, salt and pepper on the skin after rubbing it with oil. Should be
>> ready in about 1/2 hour from now.

>I think that would be "spatchcock." Sounds yummy.

Needs no introduction:

http://tinypic.com/4c3adyo.jpg

--Blair