zwieback crumbs?i

Old 02-10-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default zwieback crumbs?i

"Carol Pickett" wrote

Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

Look in the baby aisle, they are teething biscuits.

A substitute doesn't come to mind right now. I remember
them being crunchy and on the sweet side.

nancy

Old 02-10-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:
Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

You've never had Zweiback!?? I used to love those things! Usually found
in the babyfood aisle, as they're "twice baked" (hence the name)dry
cookie-cracker things that they market as teething biscuits. They're
loaded with sugar though, so in truth not the best thing to give baby.
But I love'em!

Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:
Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

Crumbs from zwieback of course.

Zwieback is a sweet German bread that is cut up and baked again to make
biscuits. I don't know about buying crumbs but you could just buy some
zwieback and break it up.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 02 Oct 2006 01:55:02p, Carol Pickett meant to say...

Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

What others have said, Carol...and always in the baby food aisle. Depending
on how you are going to use them, graham cracker crumbs can be substituted
for them, although the end result will be a bit different. I often use them
for cheesecake crusts.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 02 Oct 2006 02:06:49p, Carol Pickett meant to say...

Gosh I feel like an idiot. Of course I remember them now. What a dunce I
am. I knew I knew what they were. It's like something so familiar but
yet you don't have a clue. Thanks for being out there. Saved me from
total embarrasment. Well, not total. I just made a fool of my self
online. Duh !!!!

We all have lapses, Carol. No biggie. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 02-10-2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks Wayne for the help. I didn't know if I could use graham cracker
crumbs or not. It is a total new recipe & I just didn't know. I'm going to
try zwieback first. It's a recipe for a Kahlua White Russian Cheesecake. It
is on the rec.food.cooking dated June 28, 2006. Thanks again Carol

Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 02 Oct 2006 in rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 02 Oct 2006 01:55:02p, Carol Pickett meant to say...

Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them?
Can I substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

What others have said, Carol...and always in the baby food aisle.
Depending on how you are going to use them, graham cracker crumbs can
be substituted for them, although the end result will be a bit
different. I often use them for cheesecake crusts.

graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, a pinch of both cinnamon and
nutmeg. Makes for a fine cheesecake crust.

You can replace about 1/3 of the crumbs with almond crumbs or even add
flaked coconut.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol Pickett wrote:

Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

Anytime you ask if a substitution is possible it helps to
say what it is you're cooking.

In general yes, graham crackers will work. They're a bit sweeter
than zwiebacks.

--
Reg

Old 02-10-2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 02 Oct 2006 02:13:21p, Carol Pickett meant to say...

Thanks Wayne for the help. I didn't know if I could use graham cracker
crumbs or not. It is a total new recipe & I just didn't know. I'm going to
try zwieback first. It's a recipe for a Kahlua White Russian Cheesecake. It
is on the rec.food.cooking dated June 28, 2006. Thanks again Carol

Umm, that sounds like a good cheesecake! Yes, I would try zweiback first
since it calls for it. They do have a characteristically different flavor
and texture from graham crackers. I find them crunchier and nuttier.

Usually, in making crumb crusts, many different crumb types can be used
interchangeably with good but somewhat different results. I often use crumbs
made from chocolate wafers. Gingersnaps also make an interesting crust,
especially for a pumpkin cheesecake. Also, as Alan pointed out, the addition
of ground nuts to the crumb mixture adds a nice texture and flavor change.

Enjoy the cheesecake!

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke

Zwieback is twice-bakes bread. It's crisp and naturally sweet (it's amde
with white flour). I'd try toasted white bread crumbs.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke

"Goomba38" schreef in bericht
. ..
Carol Pickett wrote:
Does any one know what zwieback crumbs are? Where can I find them? Can I
substitute graham crackers? I can't find them at our store.

You've never had Zweiback!?? I used to love those things! Usually found in
the babyfood aisle, as they're "twice baked" (hence the name)dry
cookie-cracker things that they market as teething biscuits. They're
loaded with sugar though, so in truth not the best thing to give baby. But
I love'em!

Sugar? ? Not the German ones I've had. Nor in its Dutch relative beschuit.