Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to serve?

Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...

So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the catering.

So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be tasty?

My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the channel
for these ideas).

Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
(beef or lamb?)
Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
another traditional side-dish...

I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various reasons.

What about desserts?

I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies etc.
for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be served
along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...

So what have I forgotten?

Any suggestions welcome!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I wouldn't serve shrimp as the main course, maybe as an appetizer . Too
many shellfish allergies out there.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> I wouldn't serve shrimp as the main course, maybe as an appetizer . Too
> many shellfish allergies out there.

That's what I was afraid of... guess its beef or lamb then?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:30:34 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>> I wouldn't serve shrimp as the main course, maybe as an appetizer . Too
>> many shellfish allergies out there.

>That's what I was afraid of... guess its beef or lamb then?

Even beef or lamb has it's drawbacks. A lot of folks aren't eating
red meat these days, and even if they are, there are a lot of folks
that won't touch lamb.

Anyway you can find out in advance if there are any dietary
limitations? I think I would do that before I planned anything. For
all you know, one of the people could be vegetarian..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Anyway you can find out in advance if there are any dietary
> limitations? I think I would do that before I planned anything. For
> all you know, one of the people could be vegetarian..

Indeed. Tried to phone... no response - not even voice mail <sigh>. Then
I sent an email to the "contact person". No joy, as yet. Hoping someone
will come back to me by Monday, latest (course starts on Tuesday). If
they don't, then first day is going to be chicken and/or veggies Can
always ask them personally about day 2 etc. BTW, odds are pretty good
that they will turn up... they paid in advance If not, we are gonna
have fun eating all the "extra food".

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Why not "do-it-yourself" sandwiches...
Meats, cheeses, veges, different breads/wraps...
Fruit...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote on 28 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...
>
> So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
> one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the
> catering.
>
> So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be
> tasty?
>
> My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the
> channel for these ideas).
>
> Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
> Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
> (beef or lamb?)
> Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
> traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
> tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
> potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
> another traditional side-dish...
>
> I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various
> reasons.
>
> What about desserts?
>
> I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies
> etc. for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be
> served along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...
>
> So what have I forgotten?
>
> Any suggestions welcome!

alergy, diabetic or other special diet needs that they might have such as
latic intolerance etc....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...
>
> So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
> one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the catering.
>
> So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be tasty?
>
> My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the channel
> for these ideas).
>
> Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
> Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
> (beef or lamb?)
> Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
> traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
> tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
> potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
> another traditional side-dish...
>
> I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various reasons.
>
> What about desserts?
>
> I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies etc.
> for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be served
> along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...
>
> So what have I forgotten?
>
> Any suggestions welcome!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Hi Cathy
How come you are thinking hot lunches? In Australia catering for such
occasions as you mention are always cold platters - gourmet filling
sandwiches - open or closed. Sliced fruit platter, maybe a cheese
platter thrown in. Sandwich fillings to suit most tastes - cold rare
roast beef and mustard, ham and cheese, cold turkey and cranberry
sauce, avocadoes, egg perhaps, cold chargrilled veg. etc.
We'd never see snacks laid on - just a plate of sweet biscuits
(cookies) with the morning and arvo teas <g>. Bottled water is a good
idea tho.
Cheers
Bronwyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...
>
> So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
> one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the catering.
>
> So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be tasty?
>
> My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the channel
> for these ideas).
>
> Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
> Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
> (beef or lamb?)
> Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
> traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
> tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
> potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
> another traditional side-dish...
>
> I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various reasons.
>
> What about desserts?
>
> I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies etc.
> for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be served
> along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...
>
> So what have I forgotten?
>
> Any suggestions welcome!

Do-it-yourself salads or sandwiches are probably the best idea. One day
you could do a pot of vegetable soup and serve different breads/cheeses
with it. At least in the US, working lunches aren't very heavy.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> alergy, diabetic or other special diet needs that they might have such as
> latic intolerance etc....

Like I said to Chris, I have tried to find out about this. The contact
person has not come back to me...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Do-it-yourself salads or sandwiches are probably the best idea. One day
> you could do a pot of vegetable soup and serve different breads/cheeses
> with it. At least in the US, working lunches aren't very heavy.

Thanks for the ideas...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bronwyn wrote:

> Hi Cathy
> How come you are thinking hot lunches? In Australia catering for such
> occasions as you mention are always cold platters - gourmet filling
> sandwiches - open or closed. Sliced fruit platter, maybe a cheese
> platter thrown in. Sandwich fillings to suit most tastes - cold rare
> roast beef and mustard, ham and cheese, cold turkey and cranberry
> sauce, avocadoes, egg perhaps, cold chargrilled veg. etc.
> We'd never see snacks laid on - just a plate of sweet biscuits
> (cookies) with the morning and arvo teas <g>. Bottled water is a good
> idea tho.
> Cheers

Thanks Bronwyn... could go the cold platter/open sandwich route. Was
also considering a cheese platter - and most people like fresh fruit as
you say.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

~-x-y-~ wrote:
> Why not "do-it-yourself" sandwiches...
> Meats, cheeses, veges, different breads/wraps...
> Fruit...

Thanks for the suggestions...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:41:14 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>Thanks Bronwyn... could go the cold platter/open sandwich route. Was
>also considering a cheese platter - and most people like fresh fruit as
>you say.

I think the soup idea is great too...to serve with the sandwiches, or
cold platter stuff, or with salad. How about main dish salads, along
with a choice of soups? Fresh fruit is good too.

I am also one of those that thinks that working lunches, or lunches
for conferences, workshops, etc don't need to be heavy meals or even
hot meals. Or if they are hot meals, they tend to be very light.

Another idea: if you go for sandwiches, you could tone them up a bit
with say a hot sandwich? Such as the Monte Cristo, or maybe even the
famous Italian Beef as one of the choices?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote on 28 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>

> > alergy, diabetic or other special diet needs that they might have
> > such as latic intolerance etc....

> Like I said to Chris, I have tried to find out about this. The contact
> person has not come back to me...

To my way of thinking a buffet layout might suit better,,,, cold cuts,
cheeses, fruits, soups...they select what they want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I think the soup idea is great too...to serve with the sandwiches, or
> cold platter stuff, or with salad. How about main dish salads, along
> with a choice of soups? Fresh fruit is good too.
>
> I am also one of those that thinks that working lunches, or lunches
> for conferences, workshops, etc don't need to be heavy meals or even
> hot meals. Or if they are hot meals, they tend to be very light.
>
> Another idea: if you go for sandwiches, you could tone them up a bit
> with say a hot sandwich? Such as the Monte Cristo, or maybe even the
> famous Italian Beef as one of the choices?

It is "salad weather" here now, but I am not so sure about the soup -
bit hot at the moment. But there are some really good ideas here. Couple
of people have mentioned fruit platters - am going to go for that too.

The good news is: I finally got an email from the contact person saying
that there are "no dietary restrictions" for the delegates. That makes
life a bit easier.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> It is "salad weather" here now, but I am not so sure about the soup - bit
> hot at the moment. But there are some really good ideas here. Couple of
> people have mentioned fruit platters - am going to go for that too.
>
> The good news is: I finally got an email from the contact person saying
> that there are "no dietary restrictions" for the delegates. That makes
> life a bit easier.

How about a cold soup? In the springtime and early summer I'm fond of a
cold cream of zucchini soup with watercress, and it's quite simple to make.
I also like both of the recipes that Jude posted earlier this year when I
was planning for my late-spring cookout. (Google for "Creamy Greens Soup"
and "Chilled Edamame-Avocado Soup".) Gazpacho is a perennial favorite, and
so is white gazpacho, which is basically a cold milky almond soup.

That's good news about the freedom from dietary restrictions. Now you can
give free rein to your imagination!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tacos - What to serve?

Tacos, it's brilliantly simple:

soft corn tortillas
refried beans
black beans
shredded chicken
ground beef
lettuce
cheese
onion
salsa
avacado

whatever else you can dream up, and let them have at it.

This fixes the vegetarians, and everyone else...

Mike.
http://cooking.mikeski.net

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Cindy Fuller wrote:
>

> > Do-it-yourself salads or sandwiches are probably the best idea. One day
> > you could do a pot of vegetable soup and serve different breads/cheeses
> > with it. At least in the US, working lunches aren't very heavy.

> Thanks for the ideas...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 19:30:34 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:

>>That's what I was afraid of... guess its beef or lamb then?

> Even beef or lamb has it's drawbacks. A lot of folks aren't eating
> red meat these days, and even if they are, there are a lot of folks
> that won't touch lamb.

Just curious - Cathy, is lamb commonly eaten in South Africa? I know that
it's not a terribly popular meat in the US, so understand Christine's
comment.

It is a commonly eaten, popular meat here though. I'm just wondering what
the South African experience is.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> Just curious - Cathy, is lamb commonly eaten in South Africa? I know that
> it's not a terribly popular meat in the US, so understand Christine's
> comment.
>
> It is a commonly eaten, popular meat here though. I'm just wondering what
> the South African experience is.

Lamb is very popular here too - the Karoo lamb is delish! I love roast
leg of lamb. Lamb "braai" (BBQ) chops are a regular thing at most BBQ's
here in the summertime (which is just starting here YAY!), along with
our "boerewors", of course

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> How about a cold soup? In the springtime and early summer I'm fond of a
> cold cream of zucchini soup with watercress, and it's quite simple to make.
> I also like both of the recipes that Jude posted earlier this year when I
> was planning for my late-spring cookout. (Google for "Creamy Greens Soup"
> and "Chilled Edamame-Avocado Soup".) Gazpacho is a perennial favorite, and
> so is white gazpacho, which is basically a cold milky almond soup.
>
> That's good news about the freedom from dietary restrictions. Now you can
> give free rein to your imagination!

Thanks Bob, not a bad plot. I'll do a bit of googling for the recipes!
Yup, I was very relieved to hear that I don't have to worry about them
having any allergies etc.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

fred wrote:
> Tacos, it's brilliantly simple:
>
> soft corn tortillas
> refried beans
> black beans
> shredded chicken
> ground beef
> lettuce
> cheese
> onion
> salsa
> avacado
>
> whatever else you can dream up, and let them have at it.
>
> This fixes the vegetarians, and everyone else...
>
> Mike.
> http://cooking.mikeski.net

That's also a very "brilliant" idea LOL! And DH loves 'em too - we also
have to eat ya know

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Sep 2006 06:04:23 -0700, "fred" > wrote:

>Tacos, it's brilliantly simple:
>
>soft corn tortillas
>refried beans
>black beans
>shredded chicken
>ground beef
>lettuce
>cheese
>onion
>salsa
>avacado
>
>whatever else you can dream up, and let them have at it.
>
>This fixes the vegetarians, and everyone else...

Then there is steak (carne asada), pastor/adovada, fish (pork),
scallops, shrimp . . . cabbage, white sauce, tomatillo sauce . . .
and the beat goes on.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in
:

> Rhonda Anderson wrote:
>

>> Just curious - Cathy, is lamb commonly eaten in South Africa? I know
>> that it's not a terribly popular meat in the US, so understand
>> Christine's comment.
>>
>> It is a commonly eaten, popular meat here though. I'm just wondering
>> what the South African experience is.
>>

> Lamb is very popular here too - the Karoo lamb is delish! I love roast
> leg of lamb. Lamb "braai" (BBQ) chops are a regular thing at most
> BBQ's here in the summertime (which is just starting here YAY!), along
> with our "boerewors", of course

Thanks Cathy. Thought it might be a similar situation to Australia, but I
wasn't sure.

Have you sorted out what you're serving yet? I do agree with the people
who've mentioned cold selections. Most of the training courses and
conferences I've been involved in have had gourmet sandwich selections or
other finger type food (mini quiches, fried things like spring rolls
etc.) and then cheese and fruit platters. Usually just water and maybe
something like Minties (chewy mint lollies) on the table during the
actual sessions. Morning and afternoon tea have ranged from a packet of
biscuits to selections of pastries, muffins, scones - that type of thing.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:

> Have you sorted out what you're serving yet? I do agree with the people
> who've mentioned cold selections. Most of the training courses and
> conferences I've been involved in have had gourmet sandwich selections or
> other finger type food (mini quiches, fried things like spring rolls
> etc.) and then cheese and fruit platters. Usually just water and maybe
> something like Minties (chewy mint lollies) on the table during the
> actual sessions. Morning and afternoon tea have ranged from a packet of
> biscuits to selections of pastries, muffins, scones - that type of thing.

Rhonda,

I am going to follow the advice given by many here, and go for the cold
buffet or "help yourself" type of thing. I will have a selection of cold
meats, make 3 or 4 salads, some bread(s), some cheese, and a fruit
platter (on the first day). However, they are here for 3 days, and I
can't serve the same thing for lunch three days in a row LOL! I have a
fairly good stock of chicken, beef and seafood in the freezer, so I
think I will simply ask, and give them a "choice" for the other two days.

We will probably have a braai (BBQ) on the last day, tho'. This is sort
of a "tradition" here. I can do a very light "finger lunch" and then
have the braai at around 4.30pm when the course is over... That way they
don't have to "scarf" their food down (as they can stay as long as
wish), and they can have their steak/chops/boerewors done "just the way
they like it" - or even cook their own meat (which is highly likely!) I
will just make a salad, and some "pap" (which is a stiff porridge made
from maize meal)- with some "gravy") to go with the meal.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...
>
> So, we are going to have the course here at our place. They will have
> one hour for lunch (at about 1pm) and I have volunteered to do the

catering.

> So... what can I prepare that will be "ready on time" and will be tasty?
>
> My list so far (thanks also go to some of the "chatters" on the channel
> for these ideas).
>
> Day 1: Chicken (roasted) with seasonable veggies
> Day 2: Shrimp with salad and/or garlic bread... or some sort of curry
> (beef or lamb?)
> Day 3: Beef-steaks, maybe some lamb chops, or ribs? and some of our
> traditional boerewors (sausage) done on the grill (that way they can
> tell me how they like their steaks done. Thought of chucking some
> potatoes on the fire too? Oh, and some "pap" - corn meal porridge -
> another traditional side-dish...
>
> I am a bit wary of pork - too many people don't eat it, for various

reasons.

> What about desserts?
>
> I will buy various sodas, get some bottled water, peanuts, candies etc.
> for them to "munch" on during the course. Tea and coffee will be served
> along with biscuits at 10am and 3pm...
>
> So what have I forgotten?
>
> Any suggestions welcome!
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

=======
I think if you only have one hour, and since it is lunch time, a soup and
sandwich course would be good. I, personally, would not want a heavy meal
in the middle of the day. Another day, you could serve a sandwich and
salad. Change the sandwiches and the soup and salad each day. Have fresh
fruit available with cheese and crackers and maybe some little pickup
pastries for dessert, tea, coffee and soda and water to drink.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy typed:
> Long story short. Got two delegates coming for a software training
> course (for three days next week). Too few to make hiring a venue
> and
> getting in professional caterers for it to be cost effective...

When there is a group that I'm cooking for, I always opt for some sort
of BBQ or grilled food.
Once, there was a veggie-tarry-an in the crowd (that I didn't know
about beforehand) who tried the smoked, stuffed pork loin, and even
had a third helping.

BOB