Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what to serve

I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,
> and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady
> that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

Hummus & wedges of pita bread. Also goes well with rye & caraway flavors.
Tough recipe: Buy container of hummus, open it, place in nice serving dish
with spoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"pfoley" > wrote:

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

Seasoned baked potato and yam fries always went over well here when I
had Dungeons and Dragons games back in college......

Pizza crackers perhaps? Take some Ritz crackers and place a small bit of
meat on them (Pepperoni or pre-cooked sausage works), one slice of roma
tomato, a bit of minced black olive, a sprinkle of garlic powder and
black pepper, top with mozarella cheese and nuke' it.

There is an entire world of appetizers. :-)

Substitute some cocktail shrimps for the meat in the above recipe.

Corn chips with a variety of dips are never out of order, nor are cheese
logs and crackers.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley said...

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> dinner to play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers,
> food pickups, and then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee
> and tea. Now, I can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently
> posted, because the lady that gave me that recipe is one of the
> people whom I would be inviting; any ideas?

pfoley,

If it's Clue, it's gotta be crab salad sandwiches with lump crab, mayo,
green onion, etc., with artichoke hearts on small, thin pumpernickel
squares, sliced diagonally into quarters (one heart each), and
toothpicked, in the Library?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote on 17 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> dinner to play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers,
> food pickups, and then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee
> and tea. Now, I can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently
> posted, because the lady that gave me that recipe is one of the
> people whom I would be inviting; any ideas?

brie in puff pastry shell with loganberry preserves.

Purchase puff pastry shells, bake said shells;

remove tops on shells insert 1 tbsp brie and 1 tbsp preserves (approx),
warm in oven till brie melts approx 20 minutes or so; serve.

Raspberry preserves will work in a pinch but not as tasty.

-from an old Canadian Living magazine IIRC.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,
> and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady
> that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

A lot depends on if you will eat while playing, or before. Some things are
difficult to eat, as you sit with a game board, cards etc. in front of you.
If you will snack while you play, I would go for easy finger foods like
small one bite pizzas, or other one bite appetizers..There are many. Also
simple things like nuts, (maybe macadamias) cheese, small pieces of fruit
would be good.

You can over think some things.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LT wrote on 17 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "pfoley" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> >dinner to
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food
> > pickups, and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I
> > can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because
> > the lady that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting;
> > any ideas?
> >

> A lot depends on if you will eat while playing, or before. Some things
> are difficult to eat, as you sit with a game board, cards etc. in
> front of you. If you will snack while you play, I would go for easy
> finger foods like small one bite pizzas, or other one bite
> appetizers..There are many. Also simple things like nuts, (maybe
> macadamias) cheese, small pieces of fruit would be good.
>
> You can over think some things.
>
> Larry T

very crispy buffalo wings. So your fingers don't get greasy.

take flour tortillias cut circles with circular 3 inch cookie cutter.
Bake these circles after putting them in a muffin tray.
Your making tortilia cups. As to fillings...lemon cheese, taco filling
(homemade), goatcheese...whatever.

Mrs. Melba Jammin posted a pickle appettizer a while ago...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Barb's Smokey Bacon & Swiss Stuffed Pickles

4 oz grated aged swiss cheese
2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp brown mustard
2 tbsp diced roasted red pepper
4 slices bacon, diced, cooked and drained
* 1/4 cup of the bacon reserved as; garnish (optional)
4 gedney deli dill crunchy pickles

Cut pickles in half lengthwise, then cut shallow V down the center of
each one, starting 1/2 inch from one end and cutting to within 1/2 inch
of other end; discard seedy Vs you've cut out (or eat them while you
work). Turn pickles upside down on paper towels to drain.

Mix the ret of the ingredients thoroughly with fork. Use fork to fill V
in eac pickle with cheese mixture, mounding cheese slightly, covering
whole cut side of pickle. Arrange on platter. If you want, garnish
with reserved bacon bits or chopepd chives, chopped green onons, or
chopped parsley.

Makes 8 stuffed pickles.
Barb Schaller

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "pfoley" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,
> > and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I

can't
> > serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady
> > that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> > ideas?

> Hummus & wedges of pita bread. Also goes well with rye & caraway flavors.
> Tough recipe: Buy container of hummus, open it, place in nice serving dish
> with spoon.

=====
Yes that would be a very good idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "pfoley" >
> ink.net:
>
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> > dinner to play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers,
> > food pickups, and then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee
> > and tea. Now, I can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently
> > posted, because the lady that gave me that recipe is one of the
> > people whom I would be inviting; any ideas?

> Little ramekins of dipping sauce, chunks of decent bread, egg rolls cut
> into 1/3ds, toasted ravioli and some veggie thingy. Stuffed celery bits
> come to mind along with some decent asparagus, blanced until just crisp
> tender with a chilled sauce of some kind. Put out some carrot sticks and

> dill dip. Yummm... it's snacks and a meal at the same time. You can't go
> wrong with cream cheese stuffed olives. I had some awesome Sicilian

olives
> last week but they were not stuffed, just seasoned. Green olives stuffed
> with a jalapeno and/or garlic cream cheese would be really good. Don't
> forget the pickles. Also, if you want a real meal type thing, finger
> sandwiches with some of the above would be awesome.
>
> Michael
> --
> " All I've ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work."
>
> -Steve Martin

=============
Geez, I guess you've done this before; what a list; printed them out. What
is toasted ravioli?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article . net>,
> "pfoley" > wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after

dinner to
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,

and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I

can't
> > serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady

that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> > ideas?

> Seasoned baked potato and yam fries always went over well here when I
> had Dungeons and Dragons games back in college......
>
> Pizza crackers perhaps? Take some Ritz crackers and place a small bit of
> meat on them (Pepperoni or pre-cooked sausage works), one slice of roma
> tomato, a bit of minced black olive, a sprinkle of garlic powder and
> black pepper, top with mozarella cheese and nuke' it.
>
> There is an entire world of appetizers. :-)
>
> Substitute some cocktail shrimps for the meat in the above recipe.
>
> Corn chips with a variety of dips are never out of order, nor are cheese
> logs and crackers.
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

Dungeons and Dragons? My son used to play that game years ago; very
intense game; lots of play acting. Do people still play that game?
That cracker pizza sounds good; will it hold all that stuff on it without
breaking?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

Since it's after dinner, I would serve various desserts and fruit kabobs
with a few dishes of salted nuts. If you must have something savory,
I'd try finger rolls with ham salad, chicken salad, and crab or tuna salad.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Wrap fresh figs in something bacony, bake. Or do the same with dates. Or
stuff either with cream cheese.

Plain and simple nuts.

Soup.

Or wrap sausages in bread dough and bake.

Make a chickpea salad with any choppable veg you like, plus plain
vinaigrette.

Salmon and cream cheese on pumpernickel, optionally with chives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> pfoley wrote on 17 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> > dinner to play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers,
> > food pickups, and then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee
> > and tea. Now, I can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently
> > posted, because the lady that gave me that recipe is one of the
> > people whom I would be inviting; any ideas?
> >

> brie in puff pastry shell with loganberry preserves.
>
> Purchase puff pastry shells, bake said shells;
>
> remove tops on shells insert 1 tbsp brie and 1 tbsp preserves (approx),
> warm in oven till brie melts approx 20 minutes or so; serve.
>
> Raspberry preserves will work in a pinch but not as tasty.
>
> -from an old Canadian Living magazine IIRC.
>
> --
>

> Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect
>
> -Alan

=====
That is different and sounds good; hope I can find loganberry jam; I would
like to try it with that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "pfoley" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> >I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,
> > and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I

can't
> > serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady
> > that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> > ideas?
> >

> A lot depends on if you will eat while playing, or before. Some things are
> difficult to eat, as you sit with a game board, cards etc. in front of

you.
> If you will snack while you play, I would go for easy finger foods like
> small one bite pizzas, or other one bite appetizers..There are many. Also
> simple things like nuts, (maybe macadamias) cheese, small pieces of fruit
> would be good.
>
> You can over think some things.
>
> Larry T

I know, I think most people like things that aren't too fattening also. So
the fruit and maybe the veggies with dips and nuts would be good to have. I
would also like to try a couple of these other great ideas that everyone is
posting just to have something a little different.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote in message
> LT wrote on 17 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>

> > "pfoley" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > >I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> > >dinner to
> > > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food
> > > pickups, and
> > > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I
> > > can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because
> > > the lady that
> > > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting;
> > > any ideas?
> > >

> > A lot depends on if you will eat while playing, or before. Some things
> > are difficult to eat, as you sit with a game board, cards etc. in
> > front of you. If you will snack while you play, I would go for easy
> > finger foods like small one bite pizzas, or other one bite
> > appetizers..There are many. Also simple things like nuts, (maybe
> > macadamias) cheese, small pieces of fruit would be good.
> >
> > You can over think some things.
> >
> > Larry T
> >

> very crispy buffalo wings. So your fingers don't get greasy.
>
> take flour tortillias cut circles with circular 3 inch cookie cutter.
> Bake these circles after putting them in a muffin tray.
> Your making tortilia cups. As to fillings...lemon cheese, taco filling
> (homemade), goatcheese...whatever.
>
> Mrs. Melba Jammin posted a pickle appettizer a while ago...
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Barb's Smokey Bacon & Swiss Stuffed Pickles
>
> 4 oz grated aged swiss cheese
> 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened
> 1 tbsp mayonnaise
> 1 tsp brown mustard
> 2 tbsp diced roasted red pepper
> 4 slices bacon, diced, cooked and drained
> * 1/4 cup of the bacon reserved as; garnish (optional)
> 4 gedney deli dill crunchy pickles
>
> Cut pickles in half lengthwise, then cut shallow V down the center of
> each one, starting 1/2 inch from one end and cutting to within 1/2 inch
> of other end; discard seedy Vs you've cut out (or eat them while you
> work). Turn pickles upside down on paper towels to drain.
>
> Mix the ret of the ingredients thoroughly with fork. Use fork to fill V
> in eac pickle with cheese mixture, mounding cheese slightly, covering
> whole cut side of pickle. Arrange on platter. If you want, garnish
> with reserved bacon bits or chopepd chives, chopped green onons, or
> chopped parsley.
>
> Makes 8 stuffed pickles.
> Barb Schaller
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.74 **
>

> --
>

> Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect
>
> -Alan

That is a good idea with the tortillas; never thought of baking them in
cupcake tins and filling them; you could fill them with anything. I suppose
they would be best in small cupcake tins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> pfoley wrote on 17 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> > dinner to play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers,
> > food pickups, and then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee
> > and tea. Now, I can't serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently
> > posted, because the lady that gave me that recipe is one of the
> > people whom I would be inviting; any ideas?
> >

> brie in puff pastry shell with loganberry preserves.
>
> Purchase puff pastry shells, bake said shells;
>
> remove tops on shells insert 1 tbsp brie and 1 tbsp preserves (approx),
> warm in oven till brie melts approx 20 minutes or so; serve.
>
> Raspberry preserves will work in a pinch but not as tasty.
>
> -from an old Canadian Living magazine IIRC.

Damn!

I'm coming to YOUR house next party! ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"pfoley" > wrote:

> Dungeons and Dragons? My son used to play that game years ago; very
> intense game; lots of play acting. Do people still play that game?

Most likely. :-)
You can still find the lead miniatures at gaming places and the books
and stuff on ebay. Internet roll playing games has taken the place of a
lot of it tho'.

And there are more "roll playing" games now than just D&D.

> That cracker pizza sounds good; will it hold all that stuff on it without
> breaking?

Yes. Just layer it thinly and put the cheese on top. The cheese "glues"
it altogether.

Cracker pizzas are a classic midnight snack. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ooh, game night! One of my favorite ways to have friends over too! This
should be fun:

Why not try rumaki/water chestnuts wrapped in bacon? Individual Belgian
endive leaves filled with chopped smoked salmon & caper salad or even
easier, Boursin cheese is also good. Easy to pick up and not messy,
since the leaves hold everything in.

Or you could take two puff pastry sheets, spread a little mustard on
one and cover with shredded gruyere, place the other sheet on top, roll
out a bit, cut into squares and bake at 400 until golden. You can do
everything ahead of time and just pop them in the oven when it's time.

You could do an antipasto plate with rolled up salami, hams, cheeses,
olives, etc. All do-ahead also.

Teeny baked potatoes split on top and filled with a blue cheese & sour
cream mixture, or any topping you prefer. These are good & filling and
are OK left at room temp for a while.

You of course could then fill out your table with easy stuff like
veggies & dip, cut-up fruit, chips & salsa, breads, etc.

Have fun!
Kris

pfoley wrote:
> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley typed:
> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food
> pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I
> can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the
> lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting;
> any
> ideas?

Along with some of the other suggested foods, add some ABTs.

They are much better if smoked, but if you don't have a smoker, you
can (sigh) cook them in the oven.

Here's a basic "recipe"

12 fresh Jalapenos
8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
Some sort of meat product
1 lb bacon, thin cut

Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white
ribs. Fill jalapeno halves with softened cream cheese, insert the meat
(I use BBQed brisket, pulled pork, small shrimp, etc.) then wrap each
in a slice (or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon. Use
a toothpic to hold the bacon if necessary.

Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is
golden brown. Serve and eat!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> pfoley typed:
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after
> > dinner to
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food
> > pickups, and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I
> > can't
> > serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the
> > lady that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting;
> > any
> > ideas?

> Along with some of the other suggested foods, add some ABTs.
>
> They are much better if smoked, but if you don't have a smoker, you
> can (sigh) cook them in the oven.
>
> Here's a basic "recipe"
>
> 12 fresh Jalapenos
> 8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
> Some sort of meat product
> 1 lb bacon, thin cut
>
> Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white
> ribs. Fill jalapeno halves with softened cream cheese, insert the meat
> (I use BBQed brisket, pulled pork, small shrimp, etc.) then wrap each
> in a slice (or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon. Use
> a toothpic to hold the bacon if necessary.
>
> Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is
> golden brown. Serve and eat!
>
> BOB

I have a friend that does this for parties on the grill. :-)
He calls them "armadillo eggs" and the are wonderful!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:
>> Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is
>> golden brown. Serve and eat!
>>
>> BOB

> I have a friend that does this for parties on the grill. :-)
> He calls them "armadillo eggs" and the are wonderful!
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Nope. Armadillo eggs are completely different. They would be good
for this party also, but they are a completely different animal.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 18:33:25 GMT, "pfoley" >
wrote:

>I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
>play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
>then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
>serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
>gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
>ideas?

Mix together a big bowl of grape tomatoes and mixed olives with herbs
and olive oil. Let it stand at room temperature for several hours.

Cheese and crackers

Big antipasto plate

Cold cuts, cheese, rolls, mayo, mustard

Fruit

Brownies and cookies

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> pfoley wrote:
> > I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> > play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> > then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> > serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> > gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> > ideas?
> >

> Since it's after dinner, I would serve various desserts and fruit kabobs
> with a few dishes of salted nuts. If you must have something savory,
> I'd try finger rolls with ham salad, chicken salad, and crab or tuna salad.

Along those same lines, some light cheeses and crackers and maybe a
light dessert wine would be good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> In news > OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:
> >> Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is
> >> golden brown. Serve and eat!
> >>
> >> BOB

> > I have a friend that does this for parties on the grill. :-)
> > He calls them "armadillo eggs" and the are wonderful!
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om

> Nope. Armadillo eggs are completely different. They would be good
> for this party also, but they are a completely different animal.
>
> BOB

Ok, I'll bite. ;-)
What is your Armadillo egg recipe?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:

>> Nope. Armadillo eggs are completely different. They would be good
>> for this party also, but they are a completely different animal.
>>
>> BOB

> Ok, I'll bite. ;-)
> What is your Armadillo egg recipe?
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Google is your friend. Armadillo eggs are covered with some sort of a
breading. Panco works well, too.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" BOB" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:
> >>
> >> Nope. Armadillo eggs are completely different. They would be good
> >> for this party also, but they are a completely different animal.
> >>
> >> BOB

> > Ok, I'll bite. ;-)
> > What is your Armadillo egg recipe?
> > --
> > Peace!
> > Om

> Google is your friend. Armadillo eggs are covered with some sort of a
> breading. Panco works well, too.
>
> BOB

Mm, area variations.....

Around here, breaded stuffed jalapenos are called "poppers".
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> " BOB" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:

> > > Ok, I'll bite. ;-)
> > > What is your Armadillo egg recipe?
> > > --
> > > Peace!
> > > Om

> > Google is your friend. Armadillo eggs are covered with some sort of a
> > breading. Panco works well, too.
> >
> > BOB

> Mm, area variations.....
>
> Around here, breaded stuffed jalapenos are called "poppers".
> --
> Peace!
> Om
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch"
> -- Jack Nicholson

They sound kind of hot to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> pfoley typed:
>> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner
>> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups,
>> and
>> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I
>> can't
>> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady
>> that
>> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
>> ideas?

> Along with some of the other suggested foods, add some ABTs.
>
> They are much better if smoked, but if you don't have a smoker, you can
> (sigh) cook them in the oven.
>
> Here's a basic "recipe"
>
> 12 fresh Jalapenos
> 8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
> Some sort of meat product
> 1 lb bacon, thin cut
>
> Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white ribs.
> Fill jalapeno halves with softened cream cheese, insert the meat (I use
> BBQed brisket, pulled pork, small shrimp, etc.) then wrap each in a slice
> (or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon. Use a toothpic to
> hold the bacon if necessary.
>
> Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is golden
> brown. Serve and eat!
>
> BOB

I have done the same using thinly sliced pepperonie too, very tastey.

Also the "poppers" that are mentioned. You can buy them frozen from the
grocery store and they are horrible, but I love my home made poppers, hotter
the better... because that usualy means more for me :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article et>,
"pfoley" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > " BOB" > wrote:
> >
> > > OmManiPadmeOmelet > typed:

> > > Google is your friend. Armadillo eggs are covered with some sort of a
> > > breading. Panco works well, too.
> > >
> > > BOB

> > Mm, area variations.....
> >
> > Around here, breaded stuffed jalapenos are called "poppers".

> They sound kind of hot to me.

Hot can be good tho'. In Texas, most people consider jalapanos to be
mild. You want hot, go with habaneros. <lol>

I don't know _anyone_ that eats those stuffed!

The cream cheese cools them down somewhat.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <LBzPg.22443$cz3.16949@edtnps82>, "Peter" >
wrote:

> > Along with some of the other suggested foods, add some ABTs.
> >
> > They are much better if smoked, but if you don't have a smoker, you can
> > (sigh) cook them in the oven.
> >
> > Here's a basic "recipe"
> >
> > 12 fresh Jalapenos
> > 8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
> > Some sort of meat product
> > 1 lb bacon, thin cut
> >
> > Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white ribs.
> > Fill jalapeno halves with softened cream cheese, insert the meat (I use
> > BBQed brisket, pulled pork, small shrimp, etc.) then wrap each in a slice
> > (or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon. Use a toothpic to
> > hold the bacon if necessary.
> >
> > Smoke (bake, if you must) at 300F for 30 minutes, or until bacon is golden
> > brown. Serve and eat!
> >
> > BOB

> I have done the same using thinly sliced pepperonie too, very tastey.
>
> Also the "poppers" that are mentioned. You can buy them frozen from the
> grocery store and they are horrible, but I love my home made poppers, hotter
> the better... because that usualy means more for me :-)

I agree that the ones from the grocery store are not very good, but the
ones from Jack in the Box are not bad.

Best takeout ones come from "Pat's Place" in New Braunfels. They come in
both cream cheese and cheddar.

Their deep fried pickle chips are excellent too! ;-d

I've never tried making _those_ at home yet, despite my interests in
deep frying. <G>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"pfoley" > wrote:

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

After dinner, eh? I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd only have
"table snacks" on the tables. I'm thinking back to my Bridge days.
Nuts, M&Ms, hard candy, pastel mints, rice crackers, Goldfish, stuff
like that. Small bowls, for a table of four, two bowls per table (so
you don't have to reach.) JMO. And then you're going to feed them
coffee and dessert. Plenty. Plenty.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"pfoley" > wrote:

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

I've just read the other posts and I'm more convinced than ever that my
idea is best. :-) You want food that doesn't require flatware and is
not messy!! Nothing wet. Nothing you have to wipe your fingers after
eating. Bridge mix. Nuts. Mints. Small crackers. If these folks
*hadn't already had dinner* I'd let you do some hors' d'oeuvres things.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:44:19 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article . net>,
> "pfoley" > wrote:
>
>> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
>> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
>> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
>> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
>> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
>> ideas?

>I've just read the other posts and I'm more convinced than ever that my
>idea is best. :-) You want food that doesn't require flatware and is
>not messy!! Nothing wet. Nothing you have to wipe your fingers after
>eating. Bridge mix. Nuts. Mints. Small crackers. If these folks
>*hadn't already had dinner* I'd let you do some hors' d'oeuvres things.

Barb, I agree. I remember when Mother played bridge in a regular
group. Nibbles that did not mess the fingers and the playing cards.
Usually a dessert and coffee (or tea) at the end of the evening. When
I played in organized bridge games it was food afterward. Some people
are very serious about their games and are not at all happy when they
get sticky cards and game pieces.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:

> I would like to have a few friends of mine over some evening after dinner to
> play board games. I would like to serve a few appetizers, food pickups, and
> then finish the evening off with dessert and coffee and tea. Now, I can't
> serve the wrapped brie idea, that I recently posted, because the lady that
> gave me that recipe is one of the people whom I would be inviting; any
> ideas?

Kick up the wrapped Brie to a new level. Bake it in phyllo pastry and top it
with cranberry sauce.