Gary

Default Emu Meat and Eggs

Has anyone here ever tried Emu meat or eggs? I once raised 20 emus, so I
got both meat and eggs from them. The meat was SO lean, that you
absolutely had to add some kind of oil of liquid to cook it. The meat
was also very bland, but tasted great when coated with Louisiana fish
fry coating.

The eggs, although they tasted slightly different from chicken eggs,
were also great. The color wasn't the same though; the yolk was lighter.
It took a large skillet to hold one egg! One egg will easily feed at
least four people.

Gary

Peter Lucas

Gary > said in the newsgroup.......
:

> Has anyone here ever tried Emu meat or eggs?

Normal fare for a lot of people over here.

I'm not that fond of it to buy it every week.... but to have it now and then,
marinated, on the BBQ is Ok.
Roo is *way* better :-)

But, yes, I've also had the Emu omlette...... no different to chook eggs,
just bigger.

Just a hint though...... next time you get an Emu egg, drill small holes in
top and bottom, blow out the yolk and white, dry the shell out then do
something artistic with it!!

--
Peter Lucas * In a world in which we are all *
Brisbane * slaves to the laws of gravity, *
Rick & Cyndi

"Gary" > wrote in message
[...]
===========

I've had emu (or did I have ostrich, instead?) and it was
WONDERFUL!!! I had it served medium-rare and had goat cheese
just prior to it, as an appetizer... gosh, it was a lovely,
lovely meal. I know longer remember the side dishes and dessert
was something with a raspberry puree sauce... oh, and a red
wine....

Oh, yeah, I've had it.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Gary

Peter Lucas wrote:

> Gary > said in the newsgroup.......
> :
>
> > Has anyone here ever tried Emu meat or eggs?

> Normal fare for a lot of people over here.
>
> I'm not that fond of it to buy it every week.... but to have it now and then,
> marinated, on the BBQ is Ok.
> Roo is *way* better :-)
>
> But, yes, I've also had the Emu omlette...... no different to chook eggs,
> just bigger.
>
> Just a hint though...... next time you get an Emu egg, drill small holes in
> top and bottom, blow out the yolk and white, dry the shell out then do
> something artistic with it!!
>
> --
> Peter Lucas * In a world in which we are all *
> Brisbane * slaves to the laws of gravity, *
> Australia * I am proud to be called *
> * one of the Freedom Fighters. *

Ah, obviously an Ausie! Cool. )

Yes, I know that the egg shells in the hands of an artist can be worth more than
the emus can. I've seen some awesome art done with their shells. And, because it
changes shade the deeper one cuts, they take on a "cameo" quality. I've seen a
carved egg shell go for $300 and higher!

Gary

Peter Lucas

Gary > said in the newsgroup.......
:

> Peter Lucas wrote:
>
>> Gary > said in the newsgroup.......
>> :
>>
>> > Has anyone here ever tried Emu meat or eggs?

>> Normal fare for a lot of people over here.
>>
>> I'm not that fond of it to buy it every week.... but to have it now and
>> then, marinated, on the BBQ is Ok.
>> Roo is *way* better :-)
>>
>> But, yes, I've also had the Emu omlette...... no different to chook
>> eggs, just bigger.
>>
>> Just a hint though...... next time you get an Emu egg, drill small
>> holes in top and bottom, blow out the yolk and white, dry the shell out
>> then do something artistic with it!!
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas * In a world in which we are all *
>> Brisbane * slaves to the laws of gravity, *
>> Australia * I am proud to be called *
>> * one of the Freedom Fighters. *

> Ah, obviously an Ausie! Cool. )

We are at the moment........ unusually overcast day with slight drizzle!!

> Yes, I know that the egg shells in the hands of an artist can be worth
> more than the emus can. I've seen some awesome art done with their
> shells. And, because it changes shade the deeper one cuts, they take on
> a "cameo" quality. I've seen a carved egg shell go for $300 and higher!

Not quite Faberge(sp), but they'll get there :-)

Here's a couple of sites with Aboriginal carved eggs. Had a look on the Web,
and there's even a *Texan* doing it!! But his are *tacky*!! :-)

http://tinyurl.com/pex9
http://www.presoz.com.au/fernando/welcome.html
http://www.rainbowserpent.com.au/pro...?ProductID=320

--
Peter Lucas * In a world in which we are all *
Brisbane * slaves to the laws of gravity, *
Australia * I am proud to be called *
* one of the Freedom Fighters. *

Gary

"Helen C." wrote:

> (Gary) wrote:
>
> <Has anyone here ever tried Emu meat or eggs? I once raised 20 emus, so
> I got both meat and eggs from them. The meat was SO lean, that you
> absolutely had to add some kind of oil of liquid to cook it. The meat
> was also very bland, but tasted great when coated with Louisiana fish
> fry coating.
> The eggs, although they tasted slightly different from chicken eggs,
> were also great. The color wasn't the same though; the yolk was lighter.
> It took a large skillet to hold one egg! One egg will easily feed at
> least four people.
> Gary>
> //////////
>
> I had a friend that raised emus and didn't care for the meat but I may
> not have learned how to cook it to it's best advantage. I would have
> thought it was like poultry being Huge birds and such but was surprised
> that it was red meat.
>
> Your right about it being lean. We had our meat ground with pork fat
> added. Just couldn't figure out the "taste" thing.... wasn't any.

Yes, very bland and flavorless. But, for those on a low fat diet, it's
perfect with lots of seasoning.

> Never did get an opportunity to try the eggs but do have to say that it
> was quite an experience when it came to "roundup" time!!! Those Big
> Birds are smart with an attitude!!! Also thought it was strange how the
> seemed to go after their own but wont get into that.

You got that right! They can kick four times harder than a horse (and *I*
felt all four of 'em once!). We had one that was appropriately named, (#171)
"The Ballistic Bitch From Hell", that NO ONE could handle. They are indeed
powerful birds ("Ratites"), and *I* (5'4" - 120 lbs) was the only one who
could handle them (except #171). But, I could only handle about 10 till I
was so injured and exhausted that I couldn't handle any more.

> I have heard that the oil is harvested for cosmetics and such and
> yes....

Yes, the average adult emu yields up to 4 litters of oil. Unfortunately, the
co-ops have a strangle hold on emu products and have ruined the emu market
and industry. Most don't pay you for the oil (or feathers); they give you
one lump sum. I have only heard of one co-op that paid separately for the
oil.

> some of the art work done with the eggs are absolutely
> beautiful. Just don't know how to cook it right, I guess.
>
> Sincerely, Helen

I thought about doing that, but *I* am no artist; just a craftsman. I could
make a lamp from an egg, but nothing beautiful enough to sell for $300! )

Gary

B.Server

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:42:47 GMT, Peter Lucas >
wrote:

[...]
>Not quite Faberge(sp), but they'll get there :-)
>
>Here's a couple of sites with Aboriginal carved eggs. Had a look on the Web,
>and there's even a *Texan* doing it!! But his are *tacky*!! :-)

Probably one of those who went bust in the great Emu ranching
"boom"... Now you see them (the emus) wandering US71 looking for the
next meal.

>http://tinyurl.com/pex9
>http://www.presoz.com.au/fernando/welcome.html
>http://www.rainbowserpent.com.au/pro...?ProductID=320

Randy Price

I had one wander into my backyard several weeks ago, it scared the hell out of
our horses. -RP

"B.Server" wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:42:47 GMT, Peter Lucas >
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Not quite Faberge(sp), but they'll get there :-)
> >
> >Here's a couple of sites with Aboriginal carved eggs. Had a look on the Web,
> >and there's even a *Texan* doing it!! But his are *tacky*!! :-)
> >

> Probably one of those who went bust in the great Emu ranching
> "boom"... Now you see them (the emus) wandering US71 looking for the
> next meal.
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/pex9
> >http://www.presoz.com.au/fernando/welcome.html
> >http://www.rainbowserpent.com.au/pro...?ProductID=320

Peter Lucas

Randy Price > said in the newsgroup.......
:

> I had one wander into my backyard several weeks ago, it scared the hell
> out of our horses. -RP

Next time you see one........ think BBQ :-)

> "B.Server" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:42:47 GMT, Peter Lucas >
>> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >Not quite Faberge(sp), but they'll get there :-)
>> >
>> >Here's a couple of sites with Aboriginal carved eggs. Had a look on
>> >the Web, and there's even a *Texan* doing it!! But his are *tacky*!!
>> >:-)
>> >

>> Probably one of those who went bust in the great Emu ranching
>> "boom"... Now you see them (the emus) wandering US71 looking for the
>> next meal.
>>
>> >http://tinyurl.com/pex9
>> >http://www.presoz.com.au/fernando/welcome.html
>> >http://www.rainbowserpent.com.au/pro...?ProductID=320

--
Peter Lucas # Loyalty above all else, #
Brisbane # except honour. #

Gary

"B.Server" wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 05:42:47 GMT, Peter Lucas >
> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Not quite Faberge(sp), but they'll get there :-)
> >
> >Here's a couple of sites with Aboriginal carved eggs. Had a look on the Web,
> >and there's even a *Texan* doing it!! But his are *tacky*!! :-)
> >

> Probably one of those who went bust in the great Emu ranching
> "boom"... Now you see them (the emus) wandering US71 looking for the
> next meal.

When I raised them in Texas, I had occasion to call the "cow sheriff" to get a
cow out of our shop. In talking with him, I found that he had quite a heard of
emu, none of which he wanted or paid for. It seems people were just opening their
gates and running them off. He would apprehend some and return them to the
owners, who feigned gratitude, only to turn them loose again the next day. He
ended up with no choice but to take them home.

Gary