Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default quiche problems - again!!

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:29:36 GMT, "Jen" >
wrote:

>What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried to
>make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold together
>too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice bacon,
>and 1/2 cup milk.

That's a lot of milk for one egg, I think. I use a total of 1 cup of
(milk, cream, sour cream, whatever) for a three- or four-egg quiche.

serene
--
My blog: http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
My cooking blog: http://serenecooking.livejournal.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen did you cook the bacon first?
were there any other ingredients - like vegetables - which could
account for the excess liquid?

LadyJane
--
'Never trust a skinny cook!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 01:27:32a, Serene meant to say...

> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:29:36 GMT, "Jen" >
> wrote:
>
>>What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>>tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
>>hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1
>>egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.

> That's a lot of milk for one egg, I think. I use a total of 1 cup of
> (milk, cream, sour cream, whatever) for a three- or four-egg quiche.
>
> serene

What Serene said, and also possibly over-baking. Custards, including
quiches, can separate when overheated or baked too long.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must groom Daddy at 2 am.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-04, Jen > wrote:

> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice bacon,
> and 1/2 cup milk.

Did you use any veggies? Veggies like mushrooms, asparagus, onions,
etc, need to to be sauteed or grilled or whatever to drive most of the
moisture. You're other problem is using milk. Milk is mostly water.
Use cream instead. At the very least, use half n' half, but not milk.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LadyJane" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Jen did you cook the bacon first?
> were there any other ingredients - like vegetables - which could
> account for the excess liquid?

I did cook the bacon first. There was nothing else in it, just a basic egg
and bacon one.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2006-09-04, Jen > wrote:
>
>> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice
>> bacon,
>> and 1/2 cup milk.

> Did you use any veggies? Veggies like mushrooms, asparagus, onions,
> etc, need to to be sauteed or grilled or whatever to drive most of the
> moisture. You're other problem is using milk. Milk is mostly water.
> Use cream instead. At the very least, use half n' half, but not milk.

No vegies. I didn't have any cream, but I always have milk. Maybe I'll try
less milk next time.

Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:29:36 GMT, "Jen" >
> wrote:
>
>>What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried
>>make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold together
>>too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice
>>bacon,
>>and 1/2 cup milk.

> That's a lot of milk for one egg, I think. I use a total of 1 cup of
> (milk, cream, sour cream, whatever) for a three- or four-egg quiche.

I made a quiche with 4 eggs, and 2 cups of milk a while ago (although I
might have used part cream). It turned out great. Obviously it's not too
bad with cream, but I should use less if I use milk.

Thanks.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen replied:

>> Did you use any veggies? Veggies like mushrooms, asparagus, onions,
>> etc, need to to be sauteed or grilled or whatever to drive most of the
>> moisture. You're other problem is using milk. Milk is mostly water.
>> Use cream instead. At the very least, use half n' half, but not milk.

> No vegies. I didn't have any cream, but I always have milk. Maybe I'll
> try less milk next time.

It just so happens that Cooks Illustrated tackled this exact problem last
year (and I just got around to reading about it yesterday -- I get their
end-of-the-year hardbound compilation of the year's magazines).

Their testing agreed with what notbob said: Although eggs and milk work fine
in the absence of any other ingredients, the second you add anything else,
the milk becomes a problem. Decreasing the amount of milk didn't solve the
problem, because then the eggs became rubbery (and there was still a problem
with excess liquid). The CI solution was to use half-and-half.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
> tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
> hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used
> 1 egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

Aside from the obvious question (why so much milk and only one egg)... the
egg was old. Old eggs tend to leach out water.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Jen replied:
>
>>> Did you use any veggies? Veggies like mushrooms, asparagus, onions,
>>> etc, need to to be sauteed or grilled or whatever to drive most of the
>>> moisture. You're other problem is using milk. Milk is mostly water.
>>> Use cream instead. At the very least, use half n' half, but not milk.

>> No vegies. I didn't have any cream, but I always have milk. Maybe I'll
>> try less milk next time.

> It just so happens that Cooks Illustrated tackled this exact problem last
> year (and I just got around to reading about it yesterday -- I get their
> end-of-the-year hardbound compilation of the year's magazines).
>
> Their testing agreed with what notbob said: Although eggs and milk work
> fine
> in the absence of any other ingredients, the second you add anything else,
> the milk becomes a problem. Decreasing the amount of milk didn't solve the
> problem, because then the eggs became rubbery (and there was still a
> problem
> with excess liquid). The CI solution was to use half-and-half.

I'm not sure what *half-and-half* is. Does anyone know if it's available in
Australia? But I didn't use anything else but bacon.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jen wrote:
>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>> tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
>> hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used
>> 1 egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> Aside from the obvious question (why so much milk and only one egg)... the
> egg was old. Old eggs tend to leach out water.

I wanted just to do a small amount, so I quartered a recipe. The recipe was
4 eggs, 2 cups milk or cream. I only just bought the eggs.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote on 04 Sep 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I'm not sure what *half-and-half* is. Does anyone know if it's
> available in Australia? But I didn't use anything else but bacon.
>
> Jen

In Canada half and half is called cerial cream...in other places it is
called coffee cream. It is part milk and part cream...around 10 to 15%
butter fat. As apposed to heavy cream's 30-35% butter fat.

Hope this helps

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Jen replied:
>
> >> Did you use any veggies? Veggies like mushrooms, asparagus, onions,
> >> etc, need to to be sauteed or grilled or whatever to drive most of the
> >> moisture. You're other problem is using milk. Milk is mostly water.
> >> Use cream instead. At the very least, use half n' half, but not milk.

> > No vegies. I didn't have any cream, but I always have milk. Maybe I'll
> > try less milk next time.

> It just so happens that Cooks Illustrated tackled this exact problem last
> year (and I just got around to reading about it yesterday -- I get their
> end-of-the-year hardbound compilation of the year's magazines).
>
> Their testing agreed with what notbob said: Although eggs and milk work fine
> in the absence of any other ingredients, the second you add anything else,
> the milk becomes a problem. Decreasing the amount of milk didn't solve the
> problem, because then the eggs became rubbery (and there was still a problem
> with excess liquid). The CI solution was to use half-and-half.
>
> Bob

Most of the time I disagree with Cooks Illustrated. We had quiche
yesterday made with a Julia Child recipe. Three eggs, 1 1/4 C milk,
salt and white pepper and a sprinkle of nutmeg for the custard. Always
works no matter what I add to it. in yesterdays quiche there was
crumbled bacon, cheese and sauteed leeks. What is added has never
caused a problem.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:

> I'm not sure what *half-and-half* is. Does anyone know if it's available
> in Australia? But I didn't use anything else but bacon.

Half-and-half is a mixture of half milk and half cream. According to the RFC
FAQ (have you read it?), it's 12% buttercream and the U.K. has an equivalent
product called "half cream." Is that available where you are?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jen" > wrote in message
> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried

> make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold together
> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice

bacon,
> and 1/2 cup milk.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

=======
I make a sausage quiche that is easy to make and excellent tasting. It
calls for four eggs and one cup of half and half; you can use milk if you
want to. I will post it on the board to the group now. Could you be using
skim milk?
----

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-04, Jen > wrote:

> I'm not sure what *half-and-half* is. Does anyone know if it's available in
> Australia? But I didn't use anything else but bacon.

According to these websites, in the UK and Australia, it's known as
single cream or half cream.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/tips/cooking-terms.html
http://www.statsci.org/smyth/ozus.html

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "Jen" >
> :
>
>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>> tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
>> hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used
>> 1 egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> Too much milk would be my guess. I make quiches quite a bit. Never
> made mini quiches though. I'd cut the milk by 1/2 and make a test
> batch to see how it turns out. I assume the bacon is fried before
> assembling the pre- cooked quiche.
>
> Michael

Oh, you should really do some mini-quiches sometime. Pepperidge farms sells
these wonderful little frozen tart shells. Just mix up your regular quiche
filling and pour it into the tart shells, bake and voila! Mini quiches.
Perfect for a casual dinner party or if you're having guests for Sunday
brunch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 05:46:44a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
say...

> "Jen" >
> :
>
>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>> tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
>> hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1
>> egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> Too much milk would be my guess. I make quiches quite a bit. Never made
> mini quiches though. I'd cut the milk by 1/2 and make a test batch to see
> how it turns out. I assume the bacon is fried before assembling the pre-
> cooked quiche.
>
> Michael

As I posted before, watery custards are most often caused by over-baking.
It doesn't matter much whether milk or cream is used. This is true for
sweet or savory custards, of which quiche is the latter.

--
Wayne Boatwright

MOPAR = Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 05:46:44a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant to
> say...
>
>> "Jen" >
>> :
>>
>>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>>> tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't
>>> hold together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1
>>> egg, 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> Too much milk would be my guess. I make quiches quite a bit. Never made
>> mini quiches though. I'd cut the milk by 1/2 and make a test batch to see
>> how it turns out. I assume the bacon is fried before assembling the pre-
>> cooked quiche.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> As I posted before, watery custards are most often caused by over-baking.
> It doesn't matter much whether milk or cream is used. This is true for
> sweet or savory custards, of which quiche is the latter.

Yeah. I thought I got the recipe with 4 eggs and 2 cups cream/milk from you
Wayne. Turned out great when I made that quantity. I didn't know how long
to cook it for, so overcooking certainly makes sense.

Thanks

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pfoley" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Jen" > wrote in message
>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried

>> make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold
>> together
>> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice

> bacon,
>> and 1/2 cup milk.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jen

> =======
> I make a sausage quiche that is easy to make and excellent tasting. It
> calls for four eggs and one cup of half and half; you can use milk if you
> want to. I will post it on the board to the group now. Could you be
> using
> skim milk?

No, full cream milk.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 03:22:45p, Jen meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 05:46:44a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant
>> to say...
>>
>>> "Jen" >
>>> :

>>> Too much milk would be my guess. I make quiches quite a bit. Never
>>> made mini quiches though. I'd cut the milk by 1/2 and make a test
>>> batch to see how it turns out. I assume the bacon is fried before
>>> assembling the pre- cooked quiche.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> As I posted before, watery custards are most often caused by
>> over-baking. It doesn't matter much whether milk or cream is used.
>> This is true for sweet or savory custards, of which quiche is the
>> latter.

> Yeah. I thought I got the recipe with 4 eggs and 2 cups cream/milk from
> you Wayne. Turned out great when I made that quantity. I didn't know
> how long to cook it for, so overcooking certainly makes sense.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jen

Yes, now that you jogged my memory, I did post a quiche recipe for you.
FWIW, when I make them myself, I usually use half & half or heavy cream and
never milk, but that's only because I like a quiche to be a very rich
custard. When I make sweet custards, I always use whole milk.

I've never made individual quiches, so can't really recommend a baking
time, but I'd probably start checking at 12-15 minutes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Vote anarchist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 03:22:45p, Jen meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 28.19...
>>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Sep 2006 05:46:44a, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan meant
>>> to say...

>>> As I posted before, watery custards are most often caused by
>>> over-baking. It doesn't matter much whether milk or cream is used.
>>> This is true for sweet or savory custards, of which quiche is the
>>> latter.

>> Yeah. I thought I got the recipe with 4 eggs and 2 cups cream/milk from
>> you Wayne. Turned out great when I made that quantity. I didn't know
>> how long to cook it for, so overcooking certainly makes sense.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jen

> Yes, now that you jogged my memory, I did post a quiche recipe for you.
> FWIW, when I make them myself, I usually use half & half or heavy cream
> and
> never milk, but that's only because I like a quiche to be a very rich
> custard. When I make sweet custards, I always use whole milk.
>
> I've never made individual quiches, so can't really recommend a baking
> time, but I'd probably start checking at 12-15 minutes.

Thanks

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > serene

> What Serene said, and also possibly over-baking

More like baking at too high a temp. Causes the whites to cook too
fast before the yolks can catch up. Second cause of runny, watery
quiche is the fillings are not dry enough. For example if you sautee
spinach, you can't leave any water in it. Same with mushrooms. The OP
sure made a bland quiche. My standard recipe is about 1 cup of sauteed
fillings/cheese 4 eggs and about 1 and 1/2 cups milk or milk/cream
combo. 350 degrees for about 45 min. Remove while still a bit
"jiggly".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>
>> Jen replied:

>>> No vegies. I didn't have any cream, but I always have milk. Maybe I'll
>>> try less milk next time.
>>>

>> It just so happens that Cooks Illustrated tackled this exact problem last
>> year (and I just got around to reading about it yesterday -- I get their
>> end-of-the-year hardbound compilation of the year's magazines).
>>
>> Their testing agreed with what notbob said: Although eggs and milk work
>> fine
>> in the absence of any other ingredients, the second you add anything else,
>> the milk becomes a problem. Decreasing the amount of milk didn't solve the
>> problem, because then the eggs became rubbery (and there was still a
>> problem
>> with excess liquid). The CI solution was to use half-and-half.
>>

> I'm not sure what *half-and-half* is. Does anyone know if it's available in
> Australia? But I didn't use anything else but bacon.
>
> Jen

It's evaporated milk. Ordinary pouring cream would have the same
consistency, just that there's more fat in it.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message "Jen" > wrote:

> "pfoley" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jen" > wrote in message
>>
>>> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried
>>> to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold
>>> together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg,
>>> 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>>>
>>> Jen

>> =======
>> I make a sausage quiche that is easy to make and excellent tasting. It
>> calls for four eggs and one cup of half and half; you can use milk if you
>> want to. I will post it on the board to the group now. Could you be
>> using
>> skim milk?

> No, full cream milk.
>
> Jen

Jen, I frequently make quiches for we both love them. I vary the size
from 3 inch up to 10 inches and love to explore with contents too. I
also always make my own pastry bases. I can happily say that I have
never finished up with a watery one even though I vary lengths of time
and oven temperatures with different types. It is almost certain that
you have to either mix full cream milk 50/50 with a carton of full
cream like 'Jersey'. Or use a single cream on its own. Happy quiching!

Don
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Gray" > wrote in message
> In message "Jen" > wrote:

>>> =======
>>> I make a sausage quiche that is easy to make and excellent tasting. It
>>> calls for four eggs and one cup of half and half; you can use milk if
>>> you
>>> want to. I will post it on the board to the group now. Could you be
>>> using
>>> skim milk?

>> No, full cream milk.
>>
>> Jen
>>

> Jen, I frequently make quiches for we both love them. I vary the size
> from 3 inch up to 10 inches and love to explore with contents too. I
> also always make my own pastry bases. I can happily say that I have
> never finished up with a watery one even though I vary lengths of time
> and oven temperatures with different types. It is almost certain that
> you have to either mix full cream milk 50/50 with a carton of full
> cream like 'Jersey'. Or use a single cream on its own. Happy quiching!

I think I'll just have to keep experimenting and taking notes. It seems
some of the things to take note of a oven temp; length of cooking; too
much liquid, use cream instead of milk (this half and half, and other ideas
sound like more trouble than they're worth).

Thanks to everyone's suggestions.

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jen" > wrote:

> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried to
> make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold together
> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice bacon,
> and 1/2 cup milk.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

Offhand, I'm thinking milk. Especially if it's low fat.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:

> I wanted just to do a small amount, so I quartered a recipe. The recipe was
> 4 eggs, 2 cups milk or cream. I only just bought the eggs.

Four eggs sounds like four too few for 2 cups of milk to me. I would
easily use 6-8 eggs in a large quiche, while using 2 cups of milk or
cream (or combination of both cobbled together from whatever I had on hand)
But then again, I don't follow any particular recipe and mine always
manage to come out perfectly. <shrug> Just luck I guess?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I tried to
> make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold together
> too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg, 1 slice bacon,
> and 1/2 cup milk.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jen

Not enough egg for that much milk - I use jumbo eggs; you can use
bacon, sausage or Canadian bacon in this.

Cheesy Bacon Quiche Nancy Dooley

2 9-inch unbaked pastry shells (serve one now;
freeze one)
1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled into bits
1/2 C. chopped onion, divided
1/2 C. chopped green pepper, divided
3 C. shredded cheese, to taste (I use a combination of
Monterey Jack, Colby and Cheddar)
4 eggs
2 T. flour
2 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 C. light cream or evaporated milk (I use fat-free)

Heat oven to 425 deg. F., and bake pastry shells for 6 minutes. Remove
and reduce temperature to 350 deg. F. Beat eggs thoroughly and add in
the flour, parsley, salt, powder and pepper. Slowly beat in the milk.
Divide bacon, onion and green pepper into the two partially-baked pie
shells. Put shredded cheese on top of other ingredients. Carefully
pour the liquid mixture into the pie shells over the other ingredients.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving; if freezing one, allow it to cool
completely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Don Gray" > wrote in message
> In message "Jen" > wrote:

tried

> >> =======
> >> I make a sausage quiche that is easy to make and excellent tasting. It
> >> calls for four eggs and one cup of half and half; you can use milk if

you
> >> want to. I will post it on the board to the group now. Could you be
> >> using
> >> skim milk?

> > No, full cream milk.
> >
> > Jen
> >

> Jen, I frequently make quiches for we both love them. I vary the size
> from 3 inch up to 10 inches and love to explore with contents too. I
> also always make my own pastry bases. I can happily say that I have
> never finished up with a watery one even though I vary lengths of time
> and oven temperatures with different types. It is almost certain that
> you have to either mix full cream milk 50/50 with a carton of full
> cream like 'Jersey'. Or use a single cream on its own. Happy quiching!
>
> Don

===
I have already made this quiche many times only using milk, and it came out
perfect. It has two kinds of cheeses and four eggs mixed in with the milk,
so it comes out thick. Yes, for a richer filling you could use cream, but I
think I would prefer half and half to the cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message "pfoley" > wrote:

> "Don Gray" > wrote in message
>
>> In message "Jen" > wrote:
>> >
>> > What causes a quiche to develop lots of liquid when it's cooked? I
>> > tried to make small crustless quiches in a muffin pan. But it didn't hold
>> > together too well, and there was quite a bit of liquid. I used 1 egg,
>> > 1 slice bacon, and 1/2 cup milk.
>> >
>> > Jen

>> Jen, I frequently make quiches for we both love them. I vary the size
>> from 3 inch up to 10 inches and love to explore with contents too. I
>> also always make my own pastry bases. I can happily say that I have
>> never finished up with a watery one even though I vary lengths of time
>> and oven temperatures with different types. It is almost certain that
>> you have to either mix full cream milk 50/50 with a carton of full
>> cream like 'Jersey'. Or use a single cream on its own. Happy quiching!
>>
>> Don

> ===
> I have already made this quiche many times only using milk, and it came out
> perfect. It has two kinds of cheeses and four eggs mixed in with the milk,
> so it comes out thick. Yes, for a richer filling you could use cream, but I
> think I would prefer half and half to the cream.
> --

Ah, maybe I should have made it clearer. In Jen's initial post she
states using 1 egg, bacon, milk, but no cheese. In this event I would
go ˝milk/˝single cream. You state adding 2 cheeses to the milk, thus
thickening the mix. You can get away without using cream. Maybe we can
swap recipes sometime :-)

Don

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In message "Jen" > wrote:

> "Don Gray" > wrote in message
>>
>> Jen, I frequently make quiches for we both love them. I vary the size
>> from 3 inch up to 10 inches and love to explore with contents too. I
>> also always make my own pastry bases. I can happily say that I have
>> never finished up with a watery one even though I vary lengths of time
>> and oven temperatures with different types. It is almost certain that
>> you have to either mix full cream milk 50/50 with a carton of full
>> cream like 'Jersey'. Or use a single cream on its own. Happy quiching!

> I think I'll just have to keep experimenting and taking notes. It seems
> some of the things to take note of a oven temp; length of cooking; too
> much liquid, use cream instead of milk (this half and half, and other ideas
> sound like more trouble than they're worth).
>
> Thanks to everyone's suggestions.
>
> Jen

Sorry Jen,

Didn't mean to make it sound complex - it isn't!! I just like to
experiment with different techniques. But I spent many years ironing
out errors. I just happen to love baking in all of it's forms and I
have a very willing guineapig (my wife), who always enjoys tasting the
fruits of my labours. Best advice I have is try different recipes
until you find the one that suits you.

Don