"Ox roast" recipe?

Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Ox roast" recipe?

Hello all:

Back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid in Pennsylvania (near Altoona)
the local fire hall would raise money periodically by serving "ox
roast" sandwiches. I'm not exactly sure how the meat was prepared; it
may have been roasted or braised, then run through a food grinder. I
think some broth was added as it was usually very moist. Does anyone
out there have a good recipe for ox-roast?

(Normally served on white hamburger bun with pickle relish as the
condiment of choice.)

Best -- Terry

Old 01-09-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a similar childhood memory. I don't think it was Ox though!
There was a little town called French Corral, which was up around Grass
Valley, California or thereabouts.

They had an old gold rush era school house, and the town old timers
would host an annual reunion.

What I recall most vividly, was they had these huge hunks of meat, that
they seasoned, wrapped in burlap, and then put in very large cast iron
dutch ovens.

They would dig a pit in the ground, fill it with hot charcoals, put the
dutch ovens with the meat on the coals, and then cover it back up with
cedar boughs, and then dirt. It would cook overnight like that. The
next day, all the town folk would bring whatever potluck pies, salads,
beans, etc. What an amazing feast it always was.

The place was very small, and everyone knew everyone. A real "Little
House on the Prairie" type of environment.

The school house burned down many many years back. . .but not my
memories of those events. I don't even know if the little town still
exists. I think it pretty much got swallowed up by the other towns
around there.

I went back through there about a decade ago - and was shocked at how
things had changed.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:

Back in the Dark Ages when I was a kid in Pennsylvania (near Altoona)
the local fire hall would raise money periodically by serving "ox
roast" sandwiches. I'm not exactly sure how the meat was prepared; it
may have been roasted or braised, then run through a food grinder. I
think some broth was added as it was usually very moist. Does anyone
out there have a good recipe for ox-roast?

Are you looking for the recipe to roast the ox, or to make the
sandwiches? In any case, first I googled "ox roast" and got the
following info, which addresses your "how the meat was prepared"
question:

http://www.kutztownfestival.com/about/oxroast.shtml

But I didn't see anything about the sandwiches there. So I googled
"ox roast sandwiches" and it seems they are a fundraising favorite
not only in PA, but Ohio too, which might explain why I couldn't
find a recipe. :-(

Then I tried RecipeSource.com and allrecipes.com and I did find
this one:

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/xRst.asp

Ox Roast - Submitted by: Jon
"A terrific deli-style roast beef that is chilled first for better
slicing. This recipe makes a really good Ox Roast sandwich."

HTH!

(Normally served on white hamburger bun with pickle relish as the
condiment of choice.)

I'm sorry, but this sandwich sounds about as appetizing as scrapple
to me. Although half of my heritage is PA Dutch, I have to say, I
don't much for the food. Well, maybe the funnel cakes... ;-)

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kthonian wrote:

Then I tried RecipeSource.com and allrecipes.com and I did find
this one:

http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/xRst.asp

Ox Roast - Submitted by: Jon
"A terrific deli-style roast beef that is chilled first for better
slicing. This recipe makes a really good Ox Roast sandwich."

HTH!

(Normally served on white hamburger bun with pickle relish as the
condiment of choice.)

I'm sorry, but this sandwich sounds about as appetizing as scrapple
to me. Although half of my heritage is PA Dutch, I have to say, I
don't much for the food. Well, maybe the funnel cakes... ;-)

Thanks Jani! Yes indeed, it does help. I think I'll try the recipe
you found but maybe on a smaller scale.

The ox roast sandwiches I recall may actually have been made from roast
beef. And I didn't describe it very well. The meat was served hot,
and it wasn't like cold cuts. The texture was similar to pulled pork
but much finer.

You're absolutely correct that some PA Dutch recipes aren't terribly
inviting. Perhaps I ought to leave childhood memories of food as they
a memories. (Last time I tried a childhood favorite I was
disillusioned. Birch beer soda pop is not delicious; it tastes like
Pepto-Bismol! :-p)

Thanks again -- Terry

Old 06-09-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:
Kthonian wrote:

[...]

You're very welcome, Terry -- I'm glad I was able to help. I'll
have to mention your feelings on birch beer to Miguel (DH), who is
a Central PA native. I've never cared much for it, I'll stick to
Diet Coke... ;-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 19-10-2005 05:38 AM
Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 02-09-2005 05:31 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 27-07-2005 05:30 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 17-04-2005 05:28 AM