Basic Quiche Lorraine Recipe

Old 19-02-2006, 03:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Basic Quiche Lorraine Recipe

Eliminate the pie shell for low carb. Use oil spray on pan, and change to
low, no fat for cheese, milk, etc. if you prefer. You can also divide to
reduce the servings. The technique is what makes it light. I saw this
today on America's Test Kitchen, on PBS.

The center of the quiche will be surprisingly soft when it comes out of the
oven, but the filling will continue to set (and sink somewhat) as it cools.
If the pie shell has been previously baked and cooled, place it in the
preheating oven for about five minutes to warm it, taking care that it does
not burn. Because ingredients in the variations that follow are bulkier, the
amount of custard mixture has been reduced to prevent overflowing the crust.

Serves 8 8 ounces bacon (about 8 slices) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
pinch fresh grated nutmeg
4 ounces Gruyère cheese , grated (1/2 cup)
1 9- inch partially baked pie shell (warm), baked until light
golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, see related recipe

1. Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown, about 5
minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Meanwhile,
whisk all remaining ingredients except cheese in medium bowl.

2. Spread cheese and bacon evenly over bottom of warm pie shell and
set shell on oven rack. Pour in custard mixture to 1/2-inch below crust rim.
Bake until lightly golden brown and a knife blade inserted about one inch
from the edge comes out clean, and center feels set but soft like gelatin,
32 to 35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack to cool. Serve warm or at room
temperature.

rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 06-11-2005 05:25 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 19-10-2005 05:38 AM
Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 02-09-2005 05:31 AM
recipes with buttermilk? enigma General Cooking 17 12-08-2005 12:58 AM