Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Vicki Beausoleil

Default Splenda Condensed Milk

This is for Pete. Personally I think it sounds gross, but that's just
me.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Splenda Granular Condensed Milk

Recipe By : "More Splendid Desserts" by Jennifer Eloff
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert Sauces Sugar-Free

1 cup skim dry milk
1 cup Splenda sweetener
1/4 cup diet margarine
1/4 cup water

In blender, combine all ingredients until smooth, scraping down sides to
incorporate all ingredients.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

62g of carbs per recipe, excluding the Splenda. Somewhat better than
Eagle Brand, but still very high.

I make a pretty mean SF cheesecake, Pete. Why don't you post the recipe
and we'll see if we can come up with some lower carb alternatives. I've
never heard of sweetened condensed milk in a cheesecake, is it to make
it creamy? Maybe making a drier NY style would be more suitable.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> This is for Pete. Personally I think it sounds gross, but
> that's just me.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Splenda Granular Condensed Milk
>
> Recipe By : "More Splendid Desserts" by Jennifer Eloff
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Dessert Sauces Sugar-
> Free

> 1 cup skim dry milk
> 1 cup Splenda sweetener
> 1/4 cup diet margarine
> 1/4 cup water
>
> In blender, combine all ingredients until smooth,
> scraping down sides to incorporate all ingredients.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> 62g of carbs per recipe, excluding the Splenda. Somewhat
> better than Eagle Brand, but still very high.
>
> I make a pretty mean SF cheesecake, Pete. Why don't you
> post the recipe and we'll see if we can come up with some
> lower carb alternatives. I've never heard of sweetened
> condensed milk in a cheesecake, is it to make it creamy?
> Maybe making a drier NY style would be more suitable.
>
> Vicki

I just came in from the market where I picked up (among other items) some
low-fat evaporated milk.
I was toying with the idea of adding Splenda to that as a substitute for the
Eagle Brand. The diet margarine doesn't do much for me either. I'll do some
label reading tonight and see what it compares to.

The cheese cake recipe is posted at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160117 if
you'd like to look at it.

The office folks cleaned up the remains of yesterday's experiment. They
thought it was delicious.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:02:07 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>I just came in from the market where I picked up (among other items) some
>low-fat evaporated milk.

Read the carb count, not just the sugar.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c201R.html
as an example.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:02:07 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just came in from the market where I picked up (among
>> other items) some low-fat evaporated milk.

> Read the carb count, not just the sugar.
> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c201R.html
> as an example.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

The total carbs is 29g, 29g or which comes from sugars. In this case
probably lactose.
If you're using 1 cup in a cheesecake that serves 8 that makes it 3.6g
carbs/serving for this component of the recipe.

Sweetened condensed milk (what I'm trying to replace) has 166g / cup again
all sugars. Only this time it's Lactose and Sucrose. The same cup in the
recipe would yield 20.75g carbs/serving. It also has 27g of fat or
3.1g/serving of fats.

So, if the evaporated milk (with Splenda) will work in the recipe, it cuts
the carbs in the final product by over 80%

Look at http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c201P.html for the info
on the high sugar stuff.

Cool website BTW. I've bookmarked it.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:22:45 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:02:07 -0600, "Pete Romfh"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just came in from the market where I picked up (among
>>> other items) some low-fat evaporated milk.

>> Read the carb count, not just the sugar.
>> http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c201R.html
>> as an example.
>>
>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

>The total carbs is 29g, 29g or which comes from sugars. In this case
>probably lactose.
>If you're using 1 cup in a cheesecake that serves 8 that makes it 3.6g
>carbs/serving for this component of the recipe.
>
>Sweetened condensed milk (what I'm trying to replace) has 166g / cup again
>all sugars. Only this time it's Lactose and Sucrose. The same cup in the
>recipe would yield 20.75g carbs/serving. It also has 27g of fat or
>3.1g/serving of fats.
>
>So, if the evaporated milk (with Splenda) will work in the recipe, it cuts
>the carbs in the final product by over 80%
>
>Look at http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c201P.html for the info
>on the high sugar stuff.
>
>Cool website BTW. I've bookmarked it.

Sounds good.

Send me a slice:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jack Allen

I wonder what the carb count would be if Carb Action Fat Free (by Hood) was
used instead of the skim dry milk?