Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default beef stew with jicama

I made a hearty beef stew with a ton of green veggies cut tiny so they
basically disappear but add body and of course beef and instead of potato I
used jicama since Susan mentioned it it..

so far two separate meals of it and zero raise in bg and it certainly
satisfies that potato itch in the stew plus a nice textural component.

thumbs up!

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM > wrote:
: I made a hearty beef stew with a ton of green veggies cut tiny so they
: basically disappear but add body and of course beef and instead of potato I
: used jicama since Susan mentioned it it..

: so far two separate meals of it and zero raise in bg and it certainly
: satisfies that potato itch in the stew plus a nice textural component.

: thumbs up!

: KROM

I use white turnips in my stew to kind of look like potatoes. I also have
big chunks of carrot and add whole crimini mushrooms at the end. I use a
big can of tomatoes(28oz) and redwine as the liquids in which the stew
stews. Of course, plenty of onions in chunks adn garlic, herbs of your
chioiceand plenty of FGBP.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 02/22/2013 12:46 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> chioice and plenty of FGBP.
>
> Wendy

What is FGBP?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 02/22/2013 12:46 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > chioice and plenty of FGBP.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: What is FGBP?

Freshly ground black pepper. coined here by our own mr. Nick Cramer.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Is this the movie with Robin Williams? Where the board game growed an indoor rain forest and stuff like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROM View Post
I made a hearty beef stew with a ton of green veggies cut tiny so they
basically disappear but add body and of course beef and instead of potato I
used jicama since Susan mentioned it it..

so far two separate meals of it and zero raise in bg and it certainly
satisfies that potato itch in the stew plus a nice textural component.

thumbs up!

KROM

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Close, but no cigar Jumanji, that has reminded me to watch it again,
thanks.

--
bigwheel

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Ok..I knew it was speeled similar..lol. Now I am headed off to try to figger out what is the other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post

KROM;1816004 Wrote:
I made a hearty beef stew with a ton of green veggies cut tiny so they
basically disappear but add body and of course beef and instead of
potato I
used jicama since Susan mentioned it it..

so far two separate meals of it and zero raise in bg and it certainly
satisfies that potato itch in the stew plus a nice textural component.

thumbs up!

KROM

--
bigwheel
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes I can eat pineapple but a apple slice or a carrot will send me through
the roof..logically..it probably has to do with the acidity levels and
enzymes..but anyhoo..

the jicama sort of has a apple/water chestnuts like texture so I don’t know
how good it will be as a potato sub in a gratin..it is also watery which of
course isn't noticeable in a stew.

but I'm sure there's fixes etc to be done that will make it work.

KROM

"Susan" wrote ...

Thanks for the report.

But aren't you the guy who can also eat pineapple without a spike?

I can't wait to try it in my gratin, or maybe even pureed as fauxtatoes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it is a softball sized root veggie that has a tough brown skin and a white
crisp flesh inside...sort of like a rutabaga..

we like to try things here as subs for things that would normally raise our
blood glucose levels.

tasty experiments as I call them

:-)

KROM

--
bigwheel

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if you’ve had success with turnip then I'm certain jicama isn't any
different.

if you wanted to really go all out you could thin slice it and dry in the
oven and then use it..much like those packaged potato meals do.

KROM

"Susan" wrote ...

Thanks for the info. White turnip is very watery, I have to drain and
blot it when I make puree from it, and it makes a great sub in gratin.

So far, so good. I can't imagine that jicama is any more watery than
small white turnips. One could always slice and blot for a while, if
concerned, but I'm not.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I just use liquid splenda for sauces etc and powdered for baking..I will
have to look into glycerin.

KROM

--
bigwheel

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> if you’ve had success with turnip then I'm certain jicama isn't any
> different.
>
> if you wanted to really go all out you could thin slice it and dry in the
> oven and then use it..much like those packaged potato meals do.

Jicama is really watery though. I don't know.